PDA

View Full Version : 1/26/15: State of the (Spurs) Union address

SpursFan86
01-26-2015, 04:21 PM
I'm bored in lecture, so fuck it, why not?

A little rundown of the upcoming schedule:

1/28: Charlotte
1/31: LAC
2/4: Orlando
2/6: Miami
2/8: @Toronto
2/9: @Indiana
2/11: @ Detroit

Then we're at the all-star break and don't play until 2/19. It's obviously possible that we win all those games, but I think the realistic goal should be going 6-1 (preferably a loss to Toronto or any of the other Eastern teams, as opposed to LAC)...5-2 at the worst. I'd have to imagine Belinelli will be returning soon. If not on Wednesday, then definitely on Saturday when we play the Clippers.

As you can see, we have a lot of downtime in the upcoming 10 days (only 3 games between now and next Wednesday), and then there's the all-star break shortly after, which is obviously going to help. As great as Tim and Manu are, I've definitely noticed some signs of fatigue. They've had to carry a much heavier load than we'd like considering all the injuries this year. Ideally I'd like to see both of their minutes be down. Duncan should be playing 28-29 mpg and Manu should be at 21-22 mpg.

As for the standings...we're still in 7th, but we've closed the gap on basically every team besides GS, who I've already given up on chasing. I think our best case scenario is getting the 2nd seed, but that'll be tough. I think 3rd or 4th is a more realistic goal, and I'm fine with that. As of now, we're 3.5 games back from the 2nd/3rd seed, 2.5 games back from Houston and the 4th seed, 2 games back from LAC and the 5th seed, and only 1.5 games back from Dallas in the 6th seed. Speaking of Dallas, they play Memphis tomorrow, and then @Houston the next day...so we could very well be in position to overtake them and get the 6th seed before the all-star break.

We've already made it past the worst part of our schedule, and we're finally healthy...so I like where we're at right now.

Oh, and just to note how Kawhi has been since he's been back:

16.5 ppg (55.2 TS%), 10 rpg, 2.3 apg, 2 spg, 1 TO

Most importantly, he's been starting to get his 3-point shot back. Just like last year, he started off the season shooting well below his average from 3. As the season went on, he slowly got back to his career averages from deep...hopefully he does the same this year.

tl;dr: Considering all the shit we've gone through this season, we're actually in pretty good shape. How's that saying go?

"There are only two things certain in life: death, and the Spurs winning 50 games." - Benjamin Franklin

Wildcat67
01-26-2015, 04:29 PM
I'm bored in lecture, so fuck it, why not?

Most importantly, he's been starting to get his 3-point shot back. Just like last year, he started off the season shooting well below his average from 3. As the season went on, he slowly got back to his career averages from deep...hopefully he does the same this year.

Not to mention he said he still isn't 100% as far as discomfort in his shooting hand, and having about a month of not practicing shooting. He has always been a slow starter each season, but he has basically had to start over in the middle of the year. I only expect his jumpshot to improve as the season goes along with improving his shots around the rim as he gets more in rhythm. He said he feels he is still rushing his shots on drives and around the rim cause he is so out of practice.

BillMc
01-26-2015, 05:17 PM
It might be a risk but I'd rest Duncan against Orlando, and maybe Manu if Marco is back by then.

Mel_13
01-26-2015, 05:29 PM
1/28: Charlotte
1/31: LAC
2/4: Orlando
2/6: Miami
2/8: @Toronto
2/9: @Indiana
2/11: @ Detroit

Key games for other WC playoff contenders over the same period:

Jan 27:
Mem@Dal

Jan 28:
Por@Cle
Dal@Hou

Jan 30:
Por@Atl
LAC@NO
Chi@Phx

Jan 31:
OKC@Mem
Por@Milw
Phx@GS

Feb 2:
Atl@NO
Mem@Phx

Feb 4:
Chi@Hou
OKC@NO
Dal@GS

Feb 5:
LAC@Cle
Phx@Por

Feb 6:
LAC@Tor
Milw@Hou
NO@OKC

Feb 7:
Chi@NO
Por@Dal

Feb 8:
LAC@OKC
Atl@Mem
Por@Hou

Feb 9:
LAC@Dal
OKC@Den

Feb 10:
Hou@Phx

Feb 11:
Mem@OKC
Hou@LAC

If the Spurs take care of business over this stretch, they will make up significant ground on at least 2 or 3 of the teams in front of them.

Beaverfuzz
01-26-2015, 06:17 PM
5-2 it looks like, anything less is bullshit.

Mel_13
01-26-2015, 06:28 PM
Things set up nicely this week for the Spurs as Charlotte will be without Walker and Biyombo, and may not have Marvin Williams. Then they get the Clippers on the back end of B2B.

mystargtr34
01-26-2015, 06:30 PM
Key games for other WC playoff contenders over the same period:

Jan 27:
Mem@Dal

Jan 28:
Por@Cle
Dal@Hou

Jan 30:
Por@Atl
LAC@NO
Chi@Phx

Jan 31:
OKC@Mem
Por@Milw
Phx@GS

Feb 2:
Atl@NO
Mem@Phx

Feb 4:
Chi@Hou
OKC@NO
Dal@GS

Feb 5:
LAC@Cle
Phx@Por

Feb 6:
LAC@Tor
Milw@Hou
NO@OKC

Feb 7:
Chi@NO
Por@Dal

Feb 8:
LAC@OKC
Atl@Mem
Por@Hou

Feb 9:
LAC@Dal
OKC@Den

Feb 10:
Hou@Phx

Feb 11:
Mem@OKC
Hou@LAC

If the Spurs take care of business over this stretch, they will make up significant ground on at least 2 or 3 of the teams in front of them.

:tu the other day i took a quick look ahead at the remaining games before the ASB and what jumped out at me was that almost every night one or two WC playoff teams were either facing each other or a tough EC team.

I think the Spurs are still in with a great shot for that 2nd seed come seasons end.

Old School 44
01-26-2015, 06:40 PM
:tu the other day i took a quick look ahead at the remaining games before the ASB and what jumped out at me was that almost every night one or two WC playoff teams were either facing each other or a tough EC team.

I think the Spurs are still in with a great shot for that 2nd seed come seasons end.

I posted this chart in another thread a few days ago.

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o518/tcatz/BBallChart1_zps2944c769.jpg

mystargtr34
01-26-2015, 06:48 PM
^ good stuff.. should be interesting to see it play out.

Dex
01-26-2015, 07:30 PM
Memphis and Golden State both have cupcake schedules coming up.

RD2191
01-26-2015, 07:30 PM
GS has a pretty easy schedule.

RD2191
01-26-2015, 07:32 PM
No reason for the Spurs not to go 6-1 or 7-0 over the next 7.

FkLA
01-26-2015, 08:22 PM
No reason for the Spurs not to go 6-1 or 7-0 over the next 7.

Enrique.

Seventyniner
01-26-2015, 10:06 PM
I posted this chart in another thread a few days ago.

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o518/tcatz/BBallChart1_zps2944c769.jpg

Thanks for the work you put in.

Out of curiosity: have you put any games past 2/11 in that sheet? And did you make a list for the Thunder?

BillMc
01-26-2015, 10:10 PM

Old School 44
01-27-2015, 12:08 AM

Out of curiosity: have you put any games past 2/11 in that sheet? And did you make a list for the Thunder?

No problem. I really think the Spurs can get to 3 or 4 seed by the all-star break. I didn't put anything past 2/11, but I went ahead and added New Orleans and OKC to highlight games against the top 10 teams in the Western Conference. I updated everyone's record based on the recent W/L (see green) but I didn't move their seedings around based on their recent W/L. Their position in the chart is as of 1/22.

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o518/tcatz/BBallChart012615_zpscc1bc3d0.jpg

heyheymymy
01-27-2015, 12:59 AM
No problem. I really think the Spurs can get to 3 or 4 seed by the all-star break. I didn't put anything past 2/11, but I went ahead and added New Orleans and OKC to highlight games against the top 10 teams in the Western Conference. I updated everyone's record based on the recent W/L (see green) but I didn't move their seedings around based on their recent W/L. Their position in the chart is as of 1/22.
[/SIZE]

Nice work, really helps me get an outlook on the run up to the ASB/ASG.:bobo

Galileo
01-27-2015, 01:18 AM
"There are only two things certain in life: death, and the Spurs winning 50 games." - Benjamin Franklin[/B]

:lmao

:lmao

:toast

Sean Cagney
01-27-2015, 01:39 AM
GS has a pretty easy schedule.

They are pretty much going to get the #1 seed IMO.

Leetonidas
01-27-2015, 01:58 AM
Nice to see an optimistic thread about the Spurs overall for once tbh :tu

I think the Spurs will show noticeable improvement overall after the ASB with all the time off we have coming up and he easy schedule. Once the old guys get rested and the formerly injured guys get back in a rhythm, Spurs will be rolling.

Sounds familiar tbh...

Leetonidas
01-27-2015, 01:58 AM
They are pretty much going to get the #1 seed IMO.

It's gonna be funny when OKC knocks them off in the first round :lol

Sean Cagney
01-27-2015, 03:20 AM

That would be a hell of a reward to get the #1 seed and then face the OKC thunder in round one huh? Talk about luck there :lol

Can you imagine being #2 as well and drawing he Spurs? That being they stay pat there. That would be any teams nightmare in round one, not your typical 7th and 8th seed by ANY means at all, they would be a nightmare.

Leetonidas
01-27-2015, 09:46 AM
tbh if the Spurs stay in the 7th seed (unlikely though) and OKC gets the 8th this will be the year the top 2 seeds get knocked out in the West in the first round

Seventyniner
01-27-2015, 09:48 AM
[/SIZE]
http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o518/tcatz/BBallChart012615_zpscc1bc3d0.jpg

Thanks! :toast

I can see the Spurs passing the Clippers and Rockets by the break, especially if the Spurs beat the Clippers on Saturday.

Cry Havoc
01-27-2015, 11:41 AM

Golden State would beat OKC in 5 as things stand. Maybe 6 by the end of the season. The Thunder need the refs on most nights to beat terrible teams.

Darius McCrary
01-27-2015, 11:45 AM
Fatigue is our biggest problem.

I think teams are getting better at defending our offense without a healthy 10-11 man roster.

Darius McCrary
01-27-2015, 11:45 AM
^^And that's the problem.

Spurs are they are built, cannot withstand injuries to ANYONE.

We need everyone.

Leetonidas
01-27-2015, 12:07 PM
Golden State would beat OKC in 5 as things stand. Maybe 6 by the end of the season. The Thunder need the refs on most nights to beat terrible teams.
Highly doubtful, but we'll see. Fully healthy OKC will beat them in 6 imho

Cry Havoc
01-27-2015, 03:11 PM
Highly doubtful, but we'll see. Fully healthy OKC will beat them in 6 imho

The way they're playing? They can barely beat 10 win teams right now, and need a lot of "questionable officiating" to do so.

They would have absolutely no answers on defense for GSW. The Warriors don't need to play inside outside ever, so Ibaka's effectiveness is completely nullified. Meanwhile they can throw long athletic wings at Durant to slow him down and just sag off Westbrook, who is on a torrid chucking pace (38.5% over his last 5).

Warriors would blow out the Thunder in 2-3 games and OKC would collapse.

Leetonidas
01-27-2015, 03:33 PM
The way they're playing? They can barely beat 10 win teams right now, and need a lot of "questionable officiating" to do so.

They would have absolutely no answers on defense for GSW. The Warriors don't need to play inside outside ever, so Ibaka's effectiveness is completely nullified. Meanwhile they can throw long athletic wings at Durant to slow him down and just sag off Westbrook, who is on a torrid chucking pace (38.5% over his last 5).

Warriors would blow out the Thunder in 2-3 games and OKC would collapse.
I think OKC will be playing much better by season's end than they are now, much like the Spurs tbh. But if they played now then yeah GSW is too hot. I think they peaked too early though

SpursFan86
01-28-2015, 11:07 PM
6th seed :tu

wildchild
01-28-2015, 11:17 PM
6th seed :tu

And we'll play the 5th seed next game! :flag: