PDA

View Full Version : NBA: How well will the Pelicans matchup against the Warriors and other playoff teams?

Pelicans78
01-27-2015, 08:43 AM
Its only a matter of time before the Pelicans stop coasting and took over the 8th and Final spot. The Thunder are nice, but they don't have anyone as good as Anthony Davis and while the Suns have been giving max effort, they just don't have enough horses to compete with the Western elites.

I think the Pelicans would matchup well with most of the Western elites. Golden State would be a handful, but the Pelicans have enough perimeter players to compete when Tyreke, Cornerstone, and Holiday are playing well together. Then Davis and Asik would control the paint. Green would be a difficult matchup.

However, I would like their chances against Memphis, Houston, and maybe Portland in a 7 game series. However, I don't trust Monty against coaches like Carlisle, Pop, or Kerr. Pelicans would go all out against the Clippers especially seeing team killer Austin Rivers on their bench. Plus, the Clips can't really provide a mismatch in any particular area.

In the end, I think the Warriors would be too tough in a 7 game series, but hey, since Austin Rivers is gone, anything is possibly :lol

Brazil
01-27-2015, 08:47 AM
I don't think Pelicans can take Memphis / GSW not sure about Houston... probably a bit too soon but yeah Portland, Clips...

I'm rooting for Pelicans tho... dat Davis kid is something special. I'd love to see him through couple of rounds in POs

Pelicans78
01-27-2015, 08:51 AM
I don't think Pelicans can take Memphis / GSW not sure about Houston... probably a bit too soon but yeah Portland, Clips...

I'm rooting for Pelicans tho... dat Davis kid is something special. I'd love to see him through couple of rounds in POs

Its unreal watching him every night. He seemingly puts up 25/10 without much effort. He doesn't demand the ball enough and plays on a team that has high usage players in Tyreke, Anderson, Gordon, and Holiday. He just does all the little things and plays 100% every second. But the team as a whole tends to coast against inferior teams. I wish Monty would get them to play hard every single minute on the floor.

Brazil
01-27-2015, 08:55 AM
Its unreal watching him every night. He seemingly puts up 25/10 without much effort. He doesn't demand the ball enough and plays on a team that has high usage players in Tyreke, Anderson, Gordon, and Holiday. He just does all the little things and plays 100% every second. But the team as a whole tends to coast against inferior teams. I wish Monty would get them to play hard every single minute on the floor.

Kid is a natural, he is so smooth... he reminds a young Duncan... I wish him the same career than Timmy. Not sure Monty is the good coach for him...it is dumb to say that but he would flourish with Pop tbh :lol

Killakobe81
01-27-2015, 09:36 AM

I also am enjoying him. I think more people have hopped on his bandwaggon this year but I was saying from early last season after he "filled out" and came back so much better than the previous year that if Lakers got first pick and could draft Wiggins that we should offer that pick and anything else NOLA wanted for Davis. Glad to see he is even better now. Only player in the Lebron Durant convo and if you are building I think i may choose Davis.

My only worry is that when i watched him last year he falls in a "gangly" way. One thing I noticed with Tim for example even when he was younger and jumped a little more he never really took bad spills. I think because Duncan has a great base and is so smart he takes great angles. Every time Davis falls in a heap I get nervous. Do you feel that way watching him or as he got better at protecting himself?

Pelicans78
01-27-2015, 09:50 AM
I also am enjoying him. I think more people have hopped on his bandwaggon this year but I was saying from early last season after he "filled out" and came back so much better than the previous year that if Lakers got first pick and could draft Wiggins that we should offer that pick and anything else NOLA wanted for Davis. Glad to see he is even better now. Only player in the Lebron Durant convo and if you are building I think i may choose Davis.

My only worry is that when i watched him last year he falls in a "gangly" way. One thing I noticed with Tim for example even when he was younger and jumped a little more he never really took bad spills. I think because Duncan has a great base and is so smart he takes great angles. Every time Davis falls in a heap I get nervous. Do you feel that way watching him or as he got better at protecting himself?

Yeah I do get nervous watching him fall. He has gotten stronger, but is still needs to learn to be a bit more graceful. He probably needs to get his leg stronger so he can have that base to protect him from falls. I do agree with the gangly nature of his falls and occasional movements.

100%duncan
01-27-2015, 09:50 AM
I dont think you can make the playoffs tbh.

Pelicans78
01-27-2015, 10:06 AM
I dont think you can make the playoffs tbh.

Yeah the coasting factor may stop them from making the playoffs, but they have enough talent to get it. Monty needs to step his game up.

Darth_Pelican
01-27-2015, 10:23 AM
Kid is a natural, he is so smooth... he reminds a young Duncan... I wish him the same career than Timmy. Not sure Monty is the good coach for him...it is dumb to say that but he would flourish with Pop tbh :lol

I was actually comparing 21 year old Duncan's stats to 21 year old Davis's stats last night. Very similar.

Duncan:
21.1 ppg
.549 FG%
.662 FT%
11.9 reb
2.7 asst
2.5 blk
0.7 stl

Davis
24.5 ppg
.556 FG%
.829 FT%
10.4 reb
1.7 asst
2.9 blk
1.7 stl

100%duncan
01-27-2015, 10:25 AM
I was actually comparing 21 year old Duncan's stats to 21 year old Davis's stats last night. Very similar.

Duncan:
21.1 ppg
.549 FG%
.662 FT%
11.9 reb
2.7 asst
2.5 blk
0.7 stl

Davis
24.5 ppg
.556 FG%
.829 FT%
10.4 reb
1.7 asst
2.9 blk
1.7 stl

You got something good going there

Darth_Pelican
01-27-2015, 10:28 AM
Yeah the coasting factor may stop them from making the playoffs, but they have enough talent to get it. Monty needs to step his game up.

Losing to the Knicks and 76ers might come back to bite us in the ass. Those losses are squarely on the coach for not having the team ready to play and assuming a win.

Brazil
01-27-2015, 10:28 AM
You got something good going there

:lol yup... that's for sure

Brazil
01-27-2015, 10:31 AM
good to be a Pelican fan right now tbh...

hater
01-27-2015, 10:35 AM
not well at all.

1st round cannon fodder

Darth_Pelican
01-27-2015, 10:39 AM
Getting Dante Cunningham for nothing was huge. He is a good defender and can hit the open jumper. Also, dumping Rivers for Quincy Pondexter was solid. That gives us 3 reliable bench players: Anderson, Cunningham, and Pondexter. Gordon is finally playing efficient basketball now that he realizes he isn't the star of the team. He's accepted his role and has been a big reason for the 4 game winning streak. Hopefully he doesn't feign another injury. And Jrue should be coming back soon as we have no depth at the PG position.

unleashbaynes
01-27-2015, 10:40 AM
what if Pelicans get the 8 seed and 8 Golden State :lol

unleashbaynes
01-27-2015, 10:43 AM
Bogut is stout but I'd love watching Davis eat him alive. He likes to push Duncan around a lot when we play, and I'm always thinking "man you woulda never done that to a young Tim", i definitely consider Davis to be on that level.....

Darth_Pelican
01-27-2015, 10:44 AM
what if Pelicans get the 8 seed and 8 Golden State :lol

That west coast time slot and home court advantage would be our undoing. I could see Monty and the young team getting rattled as fuck.

Pelicans78
01-27-2015, 09:23 PM
Bogut is stout but I'd love watching Davis eat him alive. He likes to push Duncan around a lot when we play, and I'm always thinking "man you woulda never done that to a young Tim", i definitely consider Davis to be on that level.....

Well thankfully Asik is playing center to offset that pussy.