PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Worst dunk contest ever?

phxspurfan
01-27-2015, 09:50 PM
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2015/01/27/something-new-about-sprite-slam-dunk-contest-contestants/

HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS — Someone long, someone new, someone blue and someone true to New York City for All-Star 2015.
We’ll get it all during All-Star Saturday night, which will officially be showtime for Giannis Antetokounmpo, Zach LaVine, Victor Oladipo and Mason Plumlee, the four players who will vie for above-the-rim supremacy in the Sprite Slam Dunk Contest.

This could be worse than Brent Barry and Fred Jones combined....

Venti Quattro
01-27-2015, 09:52 PM
The Dunk Contest has been shit for quite a long-time now

phxspurfan
01-27-2015, 09:53 PM
The Dunk Contest has been shit for quite a long-time now

I dunno man, I kinda liked the KryptoNate-D12 one.

Venti Quattro
01-27-2015, 09:54 PM
I dunno man, I kinda liked the KryptoNate-D12 one.

Also the time when Iguodala competed it was good. Only two that stood out in the last 10 years? It's been shit and it's going to be another level of shit in 2015.

elmanutres
01-27-2015, 09:58 PM
the only thing that can make the contest interesting again is if the league's stars partake in it and battle each other. But it ain't happening. until then this contest just means to change channels when it starts

Bynumite
01-27-2015, 10:01 PM
You can thank Lebeta for that. He ushered in the era of the pussy star. The league's stars are too scared to lose a simple dunk contest these days.

We came from epic shit like Dominique vs MJ, TMac vs Carter to watch uncreative no names going at it.

RsxPiimp
01-27-2015, 10:02 PM
I thought last year was pretty good.

wtf happened to Wiggins?

lefty
01-27-2015, 10:07 PM
Jason Richardson was great in the dunk contest tbh

Splits
01-27-2015, 10:13 PM
Zach LaVine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Venti Quattro
01-27-2015, 10:13 PM
Jason Richardson was great in the dunk contest tbh

And then it stopped being awesome after that year

Jenks
01-27-2015, 10:16 PM
No love for Blake over the car, with Baron Davis popping out of the sunroof? Not the best dunk but it was maximum showmanship.

Clipper Nation
01-27-2015, 10:17 PM
The dunk contest is pointless, pretty much every dunk you can think of has been done to death already so now it's more like a "who's got the corniest props" contest. Should have been cancelled years ago, tbh.

Venti Quattro
01-27-2015, 10:18 PM
The dunk contest is pointless, pretty much every dunk you can think of has been done to death already so now it's more like a "who's got the corniest props" contest. Should have been cancelled years ago, tbh.

Even the dunking on a car stunt isn't that impressive anymore ever since Blake Griffin jumped on the hood of a sedan.

phxspurfan
01-27-2015, 10:21 PM
Nobody does reverse dunks anymore. So 80s.

phxspurfan
01-27-2015, 10:22 PM
How about dunking 2 WNBA balls

phxspurfan
01-27-2015, 10:22 PM
Or using a drone to drop the ball on an alley

Venti Quattro
01-27-2015, 10:25 PM
Or using a drone to drop the ball on an alley
Might fall into Haddadi's hands and give it to Ahmadinejad

8FOR!3
01-27-2015, 10:28 PM

I think there's superstars that come around every so many years like Blake Griffin and LeBron and Andrew Wiggins that are capable of doing stuff nobody else has ever done, it's a matter of getting the best dunkers to do it. It's kind of stupid that some of them won't. Who cares if you're a superstar and you disappoint in the dunk contest.

Miles Plumlee's an athletic but mostly in game power dunker, Zach LaVine's extremely capable we'll just see how creative he is. Antetokounmpo's a pretty boring dunker in game, but with his body type and athleticism he should be able to come up with something different. I don't watch Oladipo, but that alley he missed against Michigan would've probably have been one of the greatest alleys of all time if it would've gone down. And he was extremely close to making that.

Clipper Nation
01-27-2015, 10:39 PM
I think there's superstars that come around every so many years like Blake Griffin and LeBron and Andrew Wiggins that are capable of doing stuff nobody else has ever done, it's a matter of getting the best dunkers to do it. It's kind of stupid that some of them won't. Who cares if you're a superstar and you disappoint in the dunk contest.

To be fair, even Blake's best dunk in the contest (IMO) was a slightly different version of one of Vince's dunks. At the end of the day, the same old dunks from previous contests aren't going to be any more exciting whether it's LeBron doing them or Zach LeVine.

apalisoc_9
01-27-2015, 10:48 PM
Lavine has a few dunks that hasn't been done in the NBA dunk contest.

- Windmill from around the free throw line...
- his behind the back dunks are unreal too..

Let's see if he does those..

Fabbs
01-27-2015, 10:55 PM
How about dunking 2 WNBA balls
How about 2 WNBA non dykes (may have to get cheerleaders) do a 69 for the dunk contest?

phxspurfan
01-27-2015, 11:20 PM
Selfie alley! with selfie stick

phxspurfan
01-27-2015, 11:21 PM
Alley with fake snow all around

phxspurfan
01-27-2015, 11:21 PM
Glow in teh dark ball alley

jeebus
01-27-2015, 11:25 PM
To be fair, even Blake's best dunk in the contest (IMO)
ah yes, jumping over a Kia bumper. didn't watch it live but I saw the replays, thank lefty.

this was the last dunk contest I watched. I haven't watched that shit live since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v-lij6N0Z0

Silver&Black
01-27-2015, 11:30 PM
The blowing out the cupcake dunk was pretty good....I just remember the judges giving him a terrible score for it.

Clipper Nation
01-28-2015, 12:43 AM
ah yes, jumping over a Kia bumper.
IMO, his take on Vince's elbow dunk was his best dunk of the contest.

lefty
01-28-2015, 12:49 AM
IMO, his take on Vince's elbow dunk was his best dunk of the contest.
And thay was pathetic

therealtruth
01-28-2015, 06:24 AM
The wheel was actually a pretty good idea.

ambchang
01-28-2015, 08:54 AM
No love for Dwight's tap off the backboard dunk?

Killakobe81
01-28-2015, 09:10 AM
All the tinkering is dumb. The best part of the dunk contest is when singular star takes over Blake, Dwight, And of course Vince. Or even better when two dunkers raise each other's game like Nique vs MJ.

For all the crap this site spits on the 80's Legit franchise stars competed against each other in dunk contests and these pussies nowadays are afraid to do it ...

Killakobe81
01-28-2015, 09:11 AM
Vince/Nique/MJ didnt need gimmicks heck eve Jrich was creative ...

Watch HS/College dunk contests they usually dont do anything that hasnt been done before but because they take risks and dunk with flair those contests are better.

100%duncan
01-28-2015, 09:44 AM
Pussy James started the fkin trend.

Killakobe81
01-28-2015, 10:36 AM
Pussy James started the fkin trend.

I was disappointed he never did it. But that was his right. I just hated the fact he kept trolling NBA fans with tweets should i do it and comments about doing it every season around this time, only to pull out. He has plenty of fans and plenty of money and didnt need it ...to establish himself, but I think for the good of the game he should have.

Also disturbed that the best prospect since Lebron (not my words) Wiggins is not in it this year either. Soft ass niccas tbh ...

100%duncan
01-28-2015, 10:41 AM
I was disappointed he never did it. But that was his right. I just hated the fact he kept trolling NBA fans with tweets should i do it and comments about dont it every season around this time only to pull out. He has plenty of fans and plenty of money and didnt need it ...to establish himself but I think for the good of the game he should have.

Also disturbed that the best prospect since Lebron (not my words) Wiggins is not in it this year either. Soft ass niccas tbh ...

TBH I never did care about the contest since they robbed Iggy of that title in 06(?). I didn't care if Lebron participated or not you're right, it was his choice. But yah agree the fucker kept hyping shit up only to pussy out time and time again.

Just scared to get beaten by a random scrub.

8FOR!3
01-28-2015, 10:42 AM
The wheel was actually a pretty good idea.

I thought that it was pretty brutal. The Gerald Wallace clutch reverse was the only cool dunk in that contest.

cantthinkofanything
01-28-2015, 11:32 AM
Someone should deflate 4 balls and dunk 2 with each hand.

cantthinkofanything
01-28-2015, 11:34 AM
or maybe someone going up with a McRib in hand, taking a bite, and then slamming it through. hit the ground, pose and scream, "I'm lovin' it!!!!"

ambchang
01-28-2015, 11:50 AM
Anybody done any 720 dunks or 540 reverses?

DMC
01-28-2015, 11:50 AM
I haven't watched one since Jordan/Nique days.

cantthinkofanything
01-28-2015, 11:57 AM
it needs to be done away with. the rules should disallow bringing anything on the court that doesn't belong during a game.

and there are so many good athletes playing bball today that everything has pretty much been done and there's nothing these guys can do that 50 college kids or playground niggas can't do.

it's over for now.

it's on the way to becoming so ridiculous that it's funny.

Soon, they'll have Michael Bay directing each dunk and adding CGI and lasers and blasts and shit for the TV audience.

DMC
01-28-2015, 11:57 AM
All the tinkering is dumb. The best part of the dunk contest is when singular star takes over Blake, Dwight, And of course Vince. Or even better when two dunkers raise each other's game like Nique vs MJ.

For all the crap this site spits on the 80's Legit franchise stars competed against each other in dunk contests and these pussies nowadays are afraid to do it ...
They aren't afraid. There's nothing in it and huge risk of a Paul George or Rose type injury.

lefty
01-28-2015, 12:00 PM
:lol Cuck Dwight helped Nate to win a Dunk Contest

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/multimedia/photo_gallery/0902/dunkcontest/images/08_nate_howard_winner.jpg

:lol Then a few years later he got blocked by Nate

:lol fucking Cuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQwyRmkyu3E

cantthinkofanything
01-28-2015, 12:03 PM
They aren't afraid. There's nothing in it and huge risk of a Paul George or Rose type injury.

I don't remember anyone getting hurt in a dunk contest. No bigger risk than any practice workout or game time dunk.
Unless someone's going to do a rollerskate dunk or hangglide from the cheap seats.

RsxPiimp
01-28-2015, 12:13 PM
The 90-second freestyle session was a bore. A series of awkward alley oops and dunks that have been done in game. 99% of the gimmicks are played out. The creativity is there but the execution has been a joke. Pot money is loose change, so most players don't give a crap. They need to scrap this because it has become a national embarrassment.

Also, the competitivity is also at an all time low. Watch the contest in the 80's. Nique, MJ, Nance and those cats were dead serious, they looked like they were playing the most important game of their lives. The contest actually had the player's reputation at stake.

http://likebasketball.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/1988-nba-slam-dunk-contest-micha1.jpg

http://youtu.be/bge0CdzENuo

Nowadays you get clowns like drake throwing lobs :lol and somehow, converting 1 dunk out of 10 attempts is ok with the fans. The prestige is gone because fan expectations has been lower.

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Terrence+Ross+Sprite+Slam+Dunk+Contest+2014+l7jD8T IXgnCl.jpg

ambchang
01-28-2015, 12:30 PM
Nique was robbed in 88.

ElNono
01-28-2015, 12:34 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/4294703/vince-carter-says-its-over-o.gif

Killakobe81
01-28-2015, 12:42 PM
Nique was robbed in 88.

Another thing we agree on, Amb.
at the very least should have been a dunk off.
Not a conspiracy guy but MJ was the media darling at home in Chicago.

Killakobe81
01-28-2015, 12:44 PM
The 90-second freestyle session was a bore. A series of awkward alley oops and dunks that have been done in game. 99% of the gimmicks are played out. The creativity is there but the execution has been a joke. Pot money is loose change, so most players don't give a crap. They need to scrap this because it has become a national embarrassment.

Also, the competitivity is also at an all time low. Watch the contest in the 80's. Nique, MJ, Nance and those cats were dead serious, they looked like they were playing the most important game of their lives. The contest actually had the player's reputation at stake.

http://likebasketball.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/1988-nba-slam-dunk-contest-micha1.jpg

http://youtu.be/bge0CdzENuo

Nowadays you get clowns like drake throwing lobs :lol and somehow, converting 1 dunk out of 10 attempts is ok with the fans. The prestige is gone because fan expectations has been lower.

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Terrence+Ross+Sprite+Slam+Dunk+Contest+2014+l7jD8T IXgnCl.jpg

That's why cats nowadays wont do it. You can argue it means little or proves nothing but I miss some of the alpha male owning a dunk contest. VC wa sthe last one to truly do that against really good competition.

baseline bum
01-28-2015, 02:55 PM
No slam dunk contest will ever be as bad as the one Nate Robinson got 26 attempts on that one dunk.

Leetonidas
01-28-2015, 02:58 PM
truth-bomb.gif

lefty
01-28-2015, 04:09 PM
Nique was robbed in 88.

Another thing we agree on, Amb.
at the very least should have been a dunk off.
Not a conspiracy guy but MJ was the media darling at home in Chicago.

This tbh

phxspurfan
01-28-2015, 10:44 PM
3 words: tram-po-leen

some slam ball shiz

_0nhL_vO5Pk

therealtruth
01-28-2015, 10:55 PM

Exactly. No props. No multiple attempts. It was just an amazing display of power and athleticism.

Malik Hairston
01-29-2015, 12:30 AM
Those 80s dunks were so shitty, tbh:lmao..

Clipper Nation
01-29-2015, 12:39 AM
:lmao Nostalgiafaggots literally bashing today's players for not treating a lame gimmick like the dunk contest as if it's Game 7 of the Finals... now I've seen it all.

Malik Hairston
01-29-2015, 12:40 AM
:lmao Nostalgiafaggots literally bashing today's players for not treating a lame gimmick like the dunk contest as if it's Game 7 of the Finals... now I've seen it all.

:lmao..

apalisoc_9
01-29-2015, 12:46 AM

:lmao

Dominique doing windmills dunk in every attempt

"dunk contest was so much better back then" :cry

Malik Hairston
01-29-2015, 12:49 AM

:lmao..

Dominique Wilkins wouldn't beat the average Division 2 player in a dunk contest nowadays, tbh..

DMC
01-29-2015, 12:53 AM
I don't remember anyone getting hurt in a dunk contest. No bigger risk than any practice workout or game time dunk.
Unless someone's going to do a rollerskate dunk or hangglide from the cheap seats.
Paul George broke his leg in practice for the Olympics. That seems stupid enough, but hey, it's the Olympics. The dunk contest? No.

DPG21920
01-29-2015, 12:55 AM
There are amazing dunkers in the world. They should just get the best non-nba dunkers. They are have as much star power as Mason Plumlee

Killakobe81
01-29-2015, 01:10 AM
If you can't see the beauty in a Nique windmill or Jordan kiss the rim dunk I don't want to discuss hoops even Clydesdale glide dunk things of beauty

Killakobe81
01-29-2015, 01:12 AM
And the dunks were good but the competition of the 80s is missing ...bunch of pussholes scared of getting injured competing that is the shame not dudes like VC owning a contest.

Clipper Nation
01-29-2015, 01:36 AM

:cry "But, but, he glared really hard at everyone else from the bench during their dunks! That means he's competitive! Today's players are pussies for not doing that!!!" :cry

phxspurfan
01-29-2015, 02:02 AM
Imagine the true dunk contest of today:

Westbrook
Rose
Lillard
LeBron
Howard
Josh Smith
Anthony Davis
Drummond