PDA

View Full Version : Airlift In Water - Food - Meds

Nbadan
09-01-2005, 08:07 PM
AIRLIFT IN WATER - FOOD - MEDS

Airdrop in clean water, food and meds RIGHT NOW. And some Everglade-type boats (with air-propellers) for search & rescue and recovery. This should have started TUESDAY MORNING after the winds died down and the levees broke. (The levees should have been sandbagged but that's a whole nother fuckup - which turned this hurricane into a flood.) But in the meantime...

People on rooftops and overpasses are dying of thirst and hunger live on national TV while the government sits on its hands.

There ARE points of high ground / buildings in NOLA and the main need there is CLEAN WATER. Survivors are now on whatever high ground they can find but now they need water, food and meds until they can get to shelter. They're going to die of THIRST because nobody in this rich First World country has airdropped in a few pallets of bottled water. We have to wait for COSTCO to do it because FEMA can't get its head out of its ass. Drop it in on some of the overpasses and larger roofs where people are congregating and it'll get distributed. People in a disaster act selfish ONLY when they think there's no hope - but if people know there's a steady stream of bottled water being air-dropped down to them, they'll triage and prioritize just as well as the best ER staff, in order to save the maximum number of their fellow beings.

Meanwhile, people who dare loot some soda and bread from a store are being told they might get SHOT if they dare feed themselves. Mayor Nagin should take his town back ("local control" - Repubs can't argue with that!) and take charge of his own police and tell them to leave the looters alone - at a stretch it could be argued that looters are actually performing a valuable function because they're "liberating" food and supplies from local depots more efficiently than Michael Chertoff and FEMA will ever be able to. If a guy steals a pair of sneakers from Foot Locker and avoids getting gangrene on his foot, that's a net savings and I'm sure our brilliant accountants can route a check to the shop owner who lost a pair of shoes rather than to the doctor who performs the amputation (and the patient who goes on SSI for the rest of their life).

We should be PAYING the "looters" for the lives they're saving. And pay the shop owners for their merchandise rather than paying cops to shoot on sight (and paying for all the lawsuits that will come after that).

Like the American idiots we are, we follow the labels applied by some idiot on TV, and we're stuck with it forever. (A bus full of evacuees driven by a 20-year-old kid showed up "early" at Houston's Astrodome and they got turned away. CNN is callling this the "renegade bus" and everyone's parroting this term. Can't have people showing up at the wrong time or without all their papers in order after the BIGGEST NATURAL DISASTER IN US HISTORY.)

The overtime pay we're paying cops to go around shooting looters in the head could be used instead to indemnify / reimburse the shop owners whose merchandise gets looted. (I suspect many shop owners are planning on writing everything off and collecting the insurance anyways.) But nooooooo, that's too complicated an idea to get our minds around. Christ, the Supreme Court just approved "eminent domain" last months for private assets which could be better used by another private party - but I guess this concept can only be applied to dueling real estate moguls - not to people who dare to open "somebody else's" unused can of drinking water or soda after the BIGGEST NATURAL DISASTER IN AMERICAN HISTORY.

Rather than airdrop this in to the people from a few C130s, the former estate lawyer heading the FEDERAL EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY holds a press conference talking bureaucratese about an "Incident of National Significance" and "assets" and "taskforces" - but doing NOTHING to help people! This guy Chertoff (Christians take note - his last name means "Devils") couldn't be an elementary school crossing guard - he's an incompetent wimp who belongs back behind a desk drawing up people's wills.

Now I hear FEMA is dropping out because the situtation is "TOO DANGEROUS". WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?!? We're talking STANDING WATER with a few snakes and chemicals in it -- bad to drink but they could be skimming over it with boats sending in supplies and taking away people. STANDING WATER is too dangerous for fucking FEMA?!?!?

(Now I hear that people are desperate and violent and FEMA's afraid to go rescue them for that reason. Well, maybe FEMA has a point there - if you show up three days late to rescue me and half my family DIED because you were too stupid to airdrop in a bottle of water for me then I'd be pissed too. So run with your tail between your legs FEMA - people have discovered that you're murderers, not helpers.)

They've known about the risk to the levees for years. They should have been sandbagging those levees on Sunday night when the whole country was glued to their "tubes" worrying about the "destruction of New Orleans". Someone at FEMA (who probably got demoted) predicted in early 2001 that the three most likely disasters in the US would be:

(1) Terrorist attack on NY
(2) NOLA hit by a hurricane
(3) SF hit by earthquake

They're batting 2 for 3 with their own predictions but they can't be bothered to MAKE ANY PREPARATIONS.

The levees, like every other fuckup in this MAN-MADE DISASTER, are under FEDERAL jurisdiction (US Army Corps of Engineers). I had tears in my eyes seeing the mild-mannered, black mayor Nagin of NOLA talking about how (1) he wanted the levees fixed months ago but the money got cut and (2) he wanted them fixed just before they "blew" on Monday but SOMEBODY REDIRECTED THE HELICOPTERS CARRYING THE 3,000 SANDBAGS.

There's a lot of expensive-looking houses near Lake Pontchartain where that levee broke. If the Federal government could have been honest and admitted they didn't give a FUCK about the people in those houses, then I bet the people in that neighborhood could have paid for some SANDBAGS to be airdropped from a helicopter when a storm comes. It's time for the Federal government to "shit or get off the pot" - if you're in charge of the levee, then sandbag it. If you're not going to sandbag it, tell us and give up jurisdiction so WE can do it. The way things are, it's ILLEGAL for private citizens to fix things that are under the jurisdiction of DC - but when it comes time for DC to DO something, they can't or they won't. This fucked-up "separation of powers" is what's killing thousands of people in NOLA.

People need to wake up and understand that for White House insiders this is a big chance to save some more money short-term and kill off some poor Dem-voting black people (and white people with funny accents). For the oil barons, this is another chance to "gouge" for a few weeks. And for the media, this is a run around with perfect hair reporting on "human interest" stories (which are always great for ratings). Talk to some distraught white people, and film some black people acting wild - that's the mainstay of American media.

The media, the oil barons and DC run the country now - and the last thing any of them care about is "saving lives". It's The People against DC & the Media & Big Oil now. That's the sad reality which a small minority of bloggers have woken up to - and many black people have resignedly lived with for their entire lives.

OR CALL THIS WHAT IT IS - GENOCIDE

Black people on overpasses and roofs in NOLA are dying of thirst on live TV now -- as media helicopters circle around filming them and former estate lawyers hold press conferences and Scotty McClellan continues to deflect questions... and millions of Americans watch in horror. My roommate just ran into the room in tears. He can't believe this is happening.

Sorry folks, this is no different than when they sent the Jews to the ovens - just this time they THINK they can blame Mother Nature. But the rain and the wind stopped three days ago - and the ONLY reason those people on high ground in NOLA are dying is because OUR SO-CALLED GOVERNMENT IS RACIST AND CAN'T BE BOTHERED TO AIR-DROP IN WATER TO A BUNCH OF POOR BLACK PEOPLE. Trust me, if there were some rich white lawyers (like Chertoff) on those overpasses, we'd be having a whole different media circus: we'd be air-dropping down food and groceries and blonde bimbo anchorwomen would descend from the helicopters to interview the survivors. But it's BLACK PEOPLE on those overpasses and ROOFS and most of the people with the MONEY and the MEDIA and the POWER JUST DON'T CARE ABOUT SAVING BLACK PEOPLE'S LIVES. That freeper thread talking about "plush carpeting and Cadillacs and procreating" (and the recent resurge of interest in The Bell Curve with its paranoia about black guys with big dicks and black women with big tits) is just the Repub subconscious seeping out.

This is a sick country. The media says black people "loot" and white people "find". DC sits on its hands instead of airdropping and airboating in in supplies. They keep saying this is the "biggest natural disaster in US history" but and they keep SAYING their priority is on saving lives and they're "doing everything in their power" but they're NOT. They ignored the warnings - and now they're ignoring their own countrypeople crying from the rooftops, dying of thirst and hunger on the rooftops... while thousands of planes sit on the tarmacs and millions of bottles of Evian water sit on the shelves and the President eats cake in the richest country the world has ever known.

Link (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=104x4551889)

whottt
09-01-2005, 08:19 PM
We should be PAYING the "looters" for the lives they're saving. And pay the shop owners for their merchandise rather than paying cops to shoot on sight (and paying for all the lawsuits that will come after that).

http://www.crack-pipes.com/crack-pipe.jpg

whottt
09-01-2005, 08:20 PM
Dan...it's good to know that...no matter what happens to this country...we'll always have you to do nothing but bitch about it and blame the Republicans.

whottt
09-01-2005, 08:21 PM
I think the Democrats thought that the hurricane could be appeased...

Jelly
09-01-2005, 08:27 PM
that crackpipe was hilarious whott :lol

Spurminator
09-01-2005, 08:30 PM
DU.com has temporarily disabled new registrations.

They did this after Kerry lost too. It would be nice if they allowed voices of dissent during the times when they are most caustic.

It's not a bad sentiment for about the first half but the second half is a fucking joke. Opportunistic partisanship at its worst.

whottt
09-01-2005, 08:39 PM
Democrats only want Democrats to have freedom of speech...right Cindy?

I'll say one thing...I am worried about the poor white minorities of New Orleans...I haven't seen a white person rescued or refugee yet...yet they make up a full 30% of the population.

I mean yeah it would suck being a refugee...but it beats the hell out of being dead.

I think the fucking government is trying to pander to the minority vote by saving all the blacks and letting the whites die. Conversely...about 99% of the rescuers I see are white people...White people need to save their own...the blacks and Democrats sure as hell aren't going to do it...they think the only good white is a dead white...they probably think they are all rich...

I mean are we to assume that no white people got stuck in New Orleans? That none of them are poor? Where are they?

I bet when this is all said and done the majority of the dead are white people inspite of them being the minority of that city.

They hate white people...fucking racists.

foodie2
09-01-2005, 09:29 PM
So Whottt...you're kidding, right? Otherwise, that's the saddest thing I've ever read.

"White people need to save their own."

And you call someone else a racist?

whottt
09-01-2005, 09:43 PM
Hey...anytime the US is hit with the worst national disaster in it's history, and the largest evac ever of a US city is underway with the infrastructure and communications systems of the area nonexistent...it's always a positive to play the race card and blame game, because inflaming racial tensions is the best way to solve the problem. It's called doing things the liberal way.

I mean the hurricane didn't destroy the white peoples homes, lives, and city, right? Bush made sure of that.

exstatic
09-01-2005, 09:47 PM
If this is an example of Homeland Security response, God help us when al Qaeda really strikes, with something on the order of a dirty bomb.

Dos
09-01-2005, 09:52 PM
I wonder where the mayor and city council of new orleans are, I mean don't they have a command center somewhere, or are they all at the astrodome too, dumbF***s probably couldn't put together a evac plan if it bit them in the ass...

Shelly
09-01-2005, 09:52 PM
For those of you that don't ever get out of the Politic's forum

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24390

exstatic
09-01-2005, 10:01 PM
I wonder where the mayor and city council of new orleans are, I mean don't they have a command center somewhere, or are they all at the astrodome too, dumbF***s probably couldn't put together a evac plan if it bit them in the ass...

That's what FEMA and the Dept of HS are for. No city is competent to pull off an evacuation on this scale, especially with their infrstructure almost totally destroyed. Nice try on the deflection, though. Nine out of Ten for effort.

Dos
09-01-2005, 10:07 PM
exstatic.. yeah the federal govt. should be in charge of even local muncipalities.. they should also run our states... why do we need local and state officials for anyway..?

whottt
09-01-2005, 10:20 PM
The bulk of the responsibility definitely falls on the shoulders of the state and local goverments...

But I know for a fact I saw the mayor telling everyone to get the hell out...there wasn't any question about it...Perhaps he underestimated the need for help on the evac...but it was definitely the Mayor and Govenors responsibility to do that evac...

That's their whole fucking purpose is things like this...the US government is designed to handle city evacs on short notice like that...the city and state are supposed to have those resources in place...

Yeah a bunch of people stayed because they were poor...but plenty of these people could have left and didn't....they didn't leave because they had no gauge of just how bad it could get...I've seen like 3 people say they wanted to leave but couldn't...the vast majority are saying they didn't think it would be that bad...not just in NO..but in all the cities.

exstatic
09-01-2005, 10:21 PM
exstatic.. yeah the federal govt. should be in charge of even local muncipalities.. they should also run our states... why do we need local and state officials for anyway..?
Dumbass. We're not talking day to day here. This is a disaster.

What, exactly, would you have the mayor of NO do? And with what resources?

Dos
09-01-2005, 10:26 PM
exstatic.. the city of NO has a transist system, it has a police force and a local govt. in place for situations like this, even before the storm hit they were warned a direct hit would be devestating instead he ordered everyone to the superdome. Why didn't he organize the transit system to take the poor out of town... or was he waiting for bush to do that as well.... ?

Mr. Ash
09-01-2005, 10:30 PM
Sorry folks, this is no different than when they sent the Jews to the ovens - just this time they THINK they can blame Mother Nature. Dude. Did you have a nice big bowl of drama flakes this morning or what? :rolleyes

exstatic
09-01-2005, 10:45 PM
exstatic.. the city of NO has a transist system, it has a police force and a local govt. in place for situations like this, even before the storm hit they were warned a direct hit would be devestating instead he ordered everyone to the superdome. Why didn't he organize the transit system to take the poor out of town... or was he waiting for bush to do that as well.... ?

:lol Evacuate using the transit system? There is NO WAY to get 200,000 people out of the city using that. If they took every form of transit, and filled it up, they may have been able to get 5000-10000 people to Baton Rouge in one trip, if they could find that many willing to go. They also didn't order anyone to the Superdome. It wasn't even a shelter in the plan, but I thought it was a pretty good way for 18-20 thousand to ride out the storm. They were never intended to stay beyond Tuesday.

You still didn't answer my question. What would you have the mayor of N.O. do (now, in the present and in the future), and with what resources?

Nbadan
09-01-2005, 10:52 PM
Federal response called `a national disgrace'

WASHINGTON - (KRT) - Rage and resentment reached a crescendo Thursday among victims of Hurricane Katrina who felt the federal government had abandoned them at their most desperate moment.

Bush administration officials acknowledged the anger but said they were moving as quickly as possible to mobilize thousands of troops and other personnel to the area.

Critics were in no mood for excuses, though, as New Orleans slid further into chaos - with people literally dying in the streets, snipers taking shots at relief workers and hunger spreading throughout the area.

Terry Ebbert, head of New Orleans' emergency operations, called the response from the Federal Emergency Management Agency "a national disgrace."
"FEMA has been here three days, yet there is no command and control," Ebbert said. "We can send massive amounts of aid to tsunami victims but we can't bail out the city of New Orleans."

Twincities (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/politics/12537562.htm)

Dos
09-01-2005, 11:10 PM
exstatic Calling you stupid would be an insult to stupid people.

Yeah the mayor could have coordinated better way in advance of the storm, apparently much like most liberals he expected the federal govt. to come in save the day should a natural disaster happen, talk about short sided planning, especially to a city so close to the gulf basically sitting in a bowl ... yeah the mayor could have done alot more than just call for the feds... who by the way can't get into most area's because the roads are washed out... I blame the mayor first and foremost for having no plan, for a situation like this.... it's like blaming Stern for the fact Goerge Karl couldn't get his team passed the Spurs in the playoffs...

exstatic
09-01-2005, 11:13 PM
You still haven't answered my question...

Dos
09-01-2005, 11:17 PM
The mayor could have coordinated better way in advance of the storm, with at least 2 days warning what did he do?

exstatic
09-01-2005, 11:20 PM
You still haven't answered my question...

What would you have the mayor of N.O. do (now, in the present and in the future), and with what resources?

Dos
09-01-2005, 11:22 PM
exstatic... this is all the mayor has done so far..

Nagin ordered the city of nearly 500,000 to be evacuated over the weekend as Katrina approached. Since then, he has called for the 50,000 to 100,000 who remained to leave because the city has become inhabitable.

People will not be allowed back into their homes for at least a month or two, he said.

Dos
09-01-2005, 11:24 PM
exstatic... ahh changing the subject to present tense and the future as to what he is going to do... lol... that's in the fed's hands now!

what did he do before the storm that was so wonderful in your eyes that he can't be blamed for..?

exstatic
09-01-2005, 11:30 PM
exstatic... ahh changing the subject to present tense and the future as to what he is going to do... lol... that's in the fed's hands now!

what did he do before the storm that was so wonderful in your eyes that he can't be blamed for..?

Read the thread subject. We're discussing what SHOULD be done now and going forward, not what SHOULD HAVE been done. I have no idea what you are discussing, other than trying to shift the blame for a piss poor response from the Bush administration to anyone else you can pin it on.

Nbadan
09-01-2005, 11:40 PM
exstatic... this is all the mayor has done so far..

Nagin ordered the city of nearly 500,000 to be evacuated over the weekend as Katrina approached. Since then, he has called for the 50,000 to 100,000 who remained to leave because the city has become inhabitable.

People will not be allowed back into their homes for at least a month or two, he said.

Let's be serious here, these people aren't going home for years. Yes, the NO Mayor is overwhelmed, but it's the State and the Feds who share most of the blame for not being prepared for a disaster like this. As I posted before, this scenario was only the second most likely disaster to strike the U.S., next to a terror strike in NY city. Yet the WH consistently cut funding for studies that could have perhaps lessened the severity of this catastrophe.

Think about what has just happened - we lost an American city. Gone, vanished, not there anymore. There are hundreds of thousands of refugees, if not economic refugees, who will be roaming the South for years looking for jobs until the NO area recovers.

Houston has closed the Astrodome. San Antonio Mayor Hardberger, the perfect leader for a situation like this I may add, is opening warehouses at Kelly which could house as many as 25,000 refugees.

whottt
09-01-2005, 11:44 PM
http://www.walb.com/Global/story.as...51&nav=5kZQdreP

August 28, 2005

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- As Hurricane Katrina churns toward New Orleans, the city's mayor is calling the storm a "once in a lifetime event."

Mayor Ray Nagin says the Big Easy has never been directly hit by a hurricane with Katrina's magnitude. The Category Five storm has winds of nearly 175 miles per hour.

The mayor has ordered a mandatory evacuation and says police and firefighters will fan out throughout New Orleans telling residents to get out. Still, authorities acknowledge some people might not be able to leave in time.

People can opt to go to the Superdome, but they're being told to come with enough food and supplies to last three to five days.

Louisiana's governor says President Bush personally appealed for a mandatory evacuation for the low-lying city, which is prone to flooding and relies on levees to protect it from surrounding water even when weather conditions are normal.

The preventative jurisdiction belonged to the govenor and the mayor...and will people please stop acting like the Iraq was is what is causing the shorthandedness...

The govenor has command of the Louisiana National Guard once a state of emergency is delcared....

There are only 3700 Lousiana Guardsmen in Iraq...there are 8000 available in the state.

Now...after the infrastructure has been blown out everyone is blaming the federal government...

Now it is the impossible situation...

And stop giving these people a fucking pass for refusing to leave...poor? Ok...they could have still made it to the Superdome...

And heeded the warning to bring food and water to last 3 days....

Being poor doesn't excuse their refusal to do that...they could have gotten to the Superdome...it's not that fucking far.

Now...the rescue services are split trying to get all the dumbasses that didn't leave their homes, and the other dumbasses that are looting...instead of trying to get everyone the fuck out.

Every one is bitching about people being left on their roofs....how many helicopters do you think you can have flying around a city at one time...how many people can they rescue per day? 100,000?

Nbadan
09-01-2005, 11:59 PM
From the head of the NO Emergency operations...

“This is a national disgrace,” said Terry Ebbert, head of New Orleans’ emergency operations. “FEMA has been here three days, yet there is no command and control,” Ebbert said. “We can send massive amounts of aid to tsunami victims but we can’t bail out the city of New Orleans."

"We have got a mayor who has been pushing and asking but we’re not getting supplies,” he said. He said the evacuation was almost entirely a Louisiana operation. “This is not a FEMA operation. I haven’t seen a single FEMA guy.”

MSNBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9156612)

FEMA are W's boys since Homeland Security took over. Responsibility creeps upward slowly, but it does creep upward.

scott
09-02-2005, 12:21 AM
Fucking Woodrow Wilson...

Nbadan
09-02-2005, 12:37 AM
Fucking Woodrow Wilson...

Nah, I still think it was the French, with their fucken levees and canals.

Fuck them!

Nbadan
09-02-2005, 01:15 AM
Scene inside the Astrodome

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/ambrosia_1/Astrodome_01.jpg

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/ambrosia_1/Astrodome_02.jpg

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/ambrosia_1/Astrodome_03.jpg

whottt
09-02-2005, 01:54 AM
From the head of the NO Emergency operations...

MSNBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9156612)

FEMA are W's boys since Homeland Security took over. Responsibility creeps upward slowly, but it does creep upward.

The reponsibility is on everyone, Dan, why don't you fucking get it? It's not a race thing, a political party thing, a class thing. It's a fucking American thing, a nature thing, a human thing. You're a fucking left wing shill who doesn't give a shit about anything other than pushing his fucking leftist agenda.

You suck fucking ass. Try to rediscover your inner human.

spurster
09-02-2005, 08:48 AM
The local, state, and federal government all have a lot of blame. It seems clear that no one from any party or any bureaucracy has any halfway-decent plan for a major disaster, whether terrorism or nature. They all suck at emergency evacuations and emergency deliveries. The US is pouring billions into Homeland Security for just this sort of thing.

I don't blame Bush. We would have this incompetence no matter who was President. However, it would be ironic to me if he ends up getting the blame for this snafu.

whottt
09-02-2005, 08:54 AM
It's not all on the politicians either, I mena honestly I look at their words from before the Hurricane...they weren't screwing around, they were telling people to get the hell out. They were trying to get them out. The military was there for the evac when the levy broke...freaking insane looters making an impossible situation even more deadly.

It's the fucking worst natural disaster in US history and it's a hell of a lot bigger area than just fucking New Orleans that got screwed...as for New Orleans...the fucking place is under water...that kind of fucks up the evac situation.

People need to stop looking for someone to blame, becuase if you want someone to blame it's not hard to find someone...it doesn't save anyone. It doesn't make the levy not break. Let's just shut up and help. That's what America needs to be doing right now. That's what I think the majority of America is doing...and I don't think anyone involved in this is enjoying watching this happen to New Orleans.

But just we're America...we're not freaking god. There are limits to what can be done quickly in a sunken city.

Murphy
09-02-2005, 09:06 AM
ahh yes, Nbadan love natural disasters to happen, he cheers for them so he could find another reason to blame government. Nbadan=blame everyone else except the hurricane.