PDA

View Full Version : Tim>Amare: What some "analysts" missed!

Mavs<Spurs
09-01-2005, 09:41 PM
:fro I know this seems obvious to us as Spurs fans, but some "basketball analysts" seemed to miss the obvious. They were so impressed with Amare's individual offensive numbers that they thought that Amare was just as good as or better than Tim.
I am glad to report that Pippen was not one of them!
Here's why Tim>Amare:
(1) Tim is a much better defender
(2) Tim improves his teammates more than Amare improves his teammates
(3) Tim plays great even if Beeno is the point guard feeding him the ball. Amare is not that great unless he is teamed with Nash. Amare's numbers went significantly down whenever Nash was not playing point at the same time.

If somebody is the main player on a team and puts up huge numbers, but loses, the team still lost!
Tim 3 championships, Amare none.

:fro :fro

ambchang
09-01-2005, 09:55 PM
well duh!

exstatic
09-01-2005, 09:59 PM
Tim isn't half the athlete that Amare is. Amare isn't half the basketball player that Tim is. His entire game is based on athleticism. He has very little in the way of fundmentals. He is a poor defender, and an extremely poor rebounder. I may be wrong, but I think that minus those missing 400 made 3 pointers that were shown the door this summer, Amare is going to struggle to match last year's gaudy scoring numbers. He won't have a wide open lane because defenders have to honor his shooters any more. He has never before been the focus of the defense before, but you can bet your ass that THOSE days are over.

Boo
09-01-2005, 11:40 PM
well in about 2 years i could say amare is better than duncan.

Sense
09-01-2005, 11:43 PM
I think this was probably posted thousands of times while the playoffs were on.

But, thanks for the "insider"...

At some point we also had no clue they missed this.... :lol

scott
09-01-2005, 11:44 PM
Amare is an awesome player - I fail to understand the hate.

SequSpur
09-01-2005, 11:47 PM
Amare is better than Tim Duncan.

Sense
09-01-2005, 11:48 PM
Amare is an awesome player - I fail to understand the hate.

There's no hate in stating the obvious...

Or do you really think Amare is better than Duncan?

scott
09-01-2005, 11:51 PM
I think Amare's a better player but Duncan is the guy you'd rather have on your team.

Sense
09-01-2005, 11:54 PM
I think Amare's a better player but Duncan is the guy you'd rather have on your team.

I think that's very stupid.... mostly because you haven't chosen a side.

Amare a better player than Duncan?

Or Amare, more hoping skills than duncan?

Or Amare, better pointguard and scoring team than Duncan?

Or Amare, scores alot and loses alot better than duncan?

Please... this is so fuckin obvious.

and your statement said Amare is better but duncan is better.

scott
09-01-2005, 11:56 PM
and your statement said Amare is better but duncan is better.

If you are too stupid to understand what my statement means, then there isn't a lot I can do to help you. Stay in school, kids.

Sense
09-01-2005, 11:59 PM
If you are too stupid to understand what my statement means, then there isn't a lot I can do to help you. Stay in school, kids.

There's not much to your statement.

Define player.

Define player you want in your team.

Stay in school? Yep. :drunk

scott
09-02-2005, 12:03 AM
A player is an individual who participates in a game or sport.

A team is a collection of players dedicated to a common goal.

Figure it out genius.

Sense
09-02-2005, 12:06 AM
I understand that.... so if you think Amare is better than Duncan, then you'd think KG is better aswell?

If by "the player you want in your team" means, he's the kind of player that does what it takes to win, a teacher to the rookies, and makes players better. Yeah, then I guess Amare is a better player. Wow you're an idiot.

So shouldn't duncan be a coach?

Mavs<Spurs
09-02-2005, 12:10 AM
I think this was probably posted thousands of times while the playoffs were on.

But, thanks for the "insider"...

At some point we also had no clue they missed this.... :lol

First, I didn't use the word "insider" or suggest that this was secret knowledge. A lot of analysts did say this. Pippen isn't on that much and I caught a show where he and Greg Anthony were on together and addressed this specific issue. Nielson could tell us the ratings of that particular show.

Second, I didn't know about this website until after the playoffs. There are a lot of serious Spurs fans who don't know about the website.

Third, you are not the moderator of this website. If you don't find this post interesting or if it is something that you have already heard and discussed too much for your taste, then ignore it! You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

Fourth, keep your negative comments to yourself. Just because your life sucks doesn't mean the rest of us aren't happy. I feel sorry for you and your family.

Sense
09-02-2005, 12:15 AM
First, I didn't use the word "insider" or suggest that this was secret knowledge. A lot of analysts did say this. Pippen isn't on that much and I caught a show where he and Greg Anthony were on together and addressed this specific issue. Nielson could tell us the ratings of that particular show.

No shit Shirlock, we know this already. We don't listen to analysts unless we want to have a good laugh.

Second, I didn't know about this website until after the playoffs. There are a lot of serious Spurs fans who don't know about the website.
I know about this aswell. I joined in November, what's your point again? There's people that have been here for years.. die hard fans. I don't think it takes a genius to figure what you stated.

Third, you are not the moderator of this website. If you don't find this post interesting or if it is something that you have already heard and discussed too much for your taste, then ignore it! You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure that one out.
True I am not a moderator. I'm not ignoring a post that gives me a good laugh. If you're whining about my posts then you have no room for these forums. If you think I'm bad.... well, you don't know bad.

Fourth, keep your negative comments to yourself. Just because your life sucks doesn't mean the rest of us aren't happy. I feel sorry for you and your family.
Again with the "I know your life and it must suck because you're insulting me" comments. Negative comments? I laughed, your stupidity made me laugh, that shouldn't be negative... or should it?

"I feel sorry for you and your family",yet another popular statement on the internet.

Get over it, you're still a newb to me. :lol

SequSpur
09-02-2005, 12:16 AM
blah blah blah......

moderator this.........

Look.. Duncan has the scoreboard, he has the rings and hardware..........

but..........

Amare is fucking unstoppable and could kick Duncan's ass up and down the court......

but........

Duncan is wise.

Sense
09-02-2005, 12:17 AM
blah blah blah......

moderator this.........

but..........

Amare is fucking unstoppable and could kick Duncan's ass up and down the court......

but........

Duncan is wise.

Thus making him the better player..

Mavs<Spurs
09-02-2005, 12:17 AM

I think what you are getting at is that in your opinion, Amare would beat Duncan one on one. Probably the fact that Amare is a sic athlete is included.

:fro

scott
09-02-2005, 12:18 AM
It's good to see that at least some people have comprehension skills.

Sense
09-02-2005, 12:20 AM

Athletic player, Wise player.

Both Players.

Duncan wise, and yet athletic.

Amare........athletic.

GG Amare.

That was my conclusion.

Mavs<Spurs
09-02-2005, 12:26 AM
No shit Shirlock, we know this already. We don't listen to analysts unless we want to have a good laugh.

I know about this aswell. I joined in November, what's your point again? There's people that have been here for years.. die hard fans. I don't think it takes a genius to figure what you stated.

True I am not a moderator. I'm not ignoring a post that gives me a good laugh. If you're whining about my posts then you have no room for these forums. If you think I'm bad.... well, you don't know bad.

Again with the "I know your life and it must suck because you're insulting me" comments. Negative comments? I laughed, your stupidity made me laugh, that shouldn't be negative... or should it?

"I feel sorry for you and your family",yet another popular statement on the internet.

Get over it, you're still a newb to me. :lol

I am just considering the source. If your life were better, you wouldn't have such a negative attitude. You are only one poster in here. You don't represent the majority of posters in here. Nobody elected you to represent them.
Ah, ok you are better than Hitler, therefore you are just a great philanthropist! Yeah.
I don't go in and start insulting other people's post because it's not necessary, its uncalled for and its not productive. People who did this kind of stuff are saying more about themselves than anybody else. It all stems from character. What comes out of your mouth reveals your heart.

And now I am supposed to think that you are some great intellect who is obviously much smarter than me? Please.

Warlord23
09-02-2005, 12:28 AM
Guys, this discussion is meaningless without the context. The context is the Spurs-Suns WCF, where the Spurs played Amare straight up throughout the series. They tried to shut down the role players and challenged Amare and Nash to do the heavy lifting .. which they did admirably for 3 quarters ... however they'd miss some key shots in the 4th and that'd be the beginning of the end. In 3 of the 5 4th quarters that they played, Tim blocked Amare in the waning minutes ... on several other instances Tim got key offensive rebounds which led to back-breaking scores.

On the other hand, the Suns rarely played Tim one-on-one, and he made them pay when they did. When they doubled, that meant an open 3-pointer for someone. Bottomline, they couldn't find an answer to Tim, not on single coverage, not by doubling. Both D'Antoni and Nash admitted after the series that Tim was the best player and the difference maker.

Just cuz Amare dropped 40, doesn't mean he was the most valuable. Tim was easily the most valuable player in the series.

Mavs<Spurs
09-02-2005, 12:30 AM
Athletic player, Wise player.

Both Players.

Duncan wise, and yet athletic.

Amare........athletic.

GG Amare.

That was my conclusion.

If you all you are going to do is to insult people for no reason, why try and carry on a meaningful conversation. Meaningful conversation is normally reserved for adults.

Mavs<Spurs
09-02-2005, 12:33 AM

He didn't understand because he didn't want to understand. He wasn't trying to understand. He just wanted to criticize and ....

Comprehension requires effort and thought and paying attention to the other person. Its much easier to be self centered and criticize.... :fro

Sense
09-02-2005, 12:35 AM
I am just considering the source. If your life were better, you wouldn't have such a negative attitude.
What in the fuckin world makes you think you know me or about my life? Talking about other people's lives on the internet is plain stupid. Don't try to act mature when you say this.

You are only one poster in here. You don't represent the majority of posters in here. Nobody elected you to represent them.
Ah, ok you are better than Hitler, therefore you are just a great philanthropist! Yeah.
I don't represent anyone in here, but I know what bad on the forums and the internet is... and you certainly aren't familiar with it.

I don't go in and start insulting other people's post because it's not necessary, its uncalled for and its not productive. People who did this kind of stuff are saying more about themselves than anybody else. It all stems from character. What comes out of your mouth reveals your heart.
These are forums, you can access them through the internet. You can type messages in them so other people can answer them.

Forums-A public meeting place for open discussion.

We are in no church, nor related church internet website. You have to realize what you get into when you get online.

And now I am supposed to think that you are some great intellect who is obviously much smarter than me? Please.
When it comes to knowing what to expect online, judging by your incredibly ignorant posts... I'll say

I>U, but Since I never stated I was better than you in life.. or smarter you can't say that. Because guess who does that?

I have no time for a pointless discussion... go over the words I stated, then go to some laker forums, explore spursdaone posts, then Tparks. Then make an essay on what you've learned.

I'm going to sleep, since I have a life and something to do. Something you'd know about right?

Pathetic.

polandprzem
09-02-2005, 04:20 AM
Who is better PF in NBA history than Tim?

Now - where is Amare?

duncan_21
09-02-2005, 07:55 AM
blah blah blah......

moderator this.........

but..........

but........

Duncan is wise.

I think you're probably kidding trying to get a rise out of somone or you have 0 bball knowledge. If you think amare is unstoppable and could kick duncans ass then I'm going the former and the latter.

duncan_21
09-02-2005, 07:59 AM
Who is better PF in NBA history than Tim?

Now - where is Amare?

Amare is a great athlete that took advantage of having one of the best assist man in the game, a wide open offense that supplied alot of offensive trips down the court, and some good perimeter players who could shoot from 3. And he can't play a lick of d, unless he comes from the weak side and blocks a shot.

Next year he won't have the wide open offense or 2 of the good perimeter players. I'll be interested to see how he does next year when he's double teamed more often then paris hilton.

TwoHandJam
09-02-2005, 08:34 AM
I don't think Amare is the player you'd want on your team or the better player. Tim couldn't stop Amare mostly because he couldn't even get off the ground with his two sprained ankles. He certainly wouldn't have shut Amare down but I believe he would have done a much better job on him defensively if he had been fully healthy as Amare was.

If we're talking one-on-one, lets not forget that Amare couldn't even slow down an injured Duncan on defense. I doubt Amare beats Tim consistently one-on-one if they're both healthy.

ambchang
09-02-2005, 10:37 AM
I just find it sad that analyst, people who have spent their whole lives dealing with basketball issues, cannot see that a better player is the player that helps his team more. it's obvious. Remember how Shawn Kemp "dominated" those games in the 96 finals? Would anybody in the right minds say that, even in that series alone, that he was better than Jordan or Pippen?
The even sadder part is how people strictly look at the 40ppg. It only shows that either you have not watched the game, and only looked at the score board, or you don't know how to watch the game. In the series, Amare had "normal" scoring numbers in the first 3 quarters, usually in the teens, then exploded in the 4th, but the Spurs always outscores the Suns in the 4th. Coincidence? I think not.
See, by concentrating on stopping Nash, and thus the rest of the Suns, Amare was left wide open continuously. Of course, the Spurs are not LETTING Amare score those points, but they would rather have Amare score 2 pts, than having Nash, Richardson, Marion or Joe Johnson score 3 points. And if you have forgotten, remember how Amare, in two separate games missed an important layup at the end of the game? People forget that, because ABC continuously show that one block he had in Game 4.
People, watch the game, just look at Duncan and Amare individually. It's not even close.

howbouthemspurs
09-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Amare is no way better than Tim!!!!

The only reason why amare was putting up those huge numbers in the playoffs against the spurs was because they basicaly let him... The spurs didnt care that amare got his numbers just as long everbody else was shut down. And they were!!!!! Only steve nash put up good numbers but the rest of the team had no chance against the best defense in the NBA.
Take steve nash off the team and the suns dont even make the playoffs ..

Amare is no leader and still acts like a kid.

Duncan is the proven leader!! THREE RINGS TO PROVE IT!!

http://www.rp-online.de/layout/showbilder/448_tim%20duncan%20gefoult%20von%20harris.jpghttp://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/news/2003/07/16/duncan_spurs_ap/t1_duncan_ap.jpg

mcornelio
09-02-2005, 12:17 PM
i agee with the tim>amare stuff but i must say that scotty is an idiot... he was saying that bruce isnt good on defense... that the only reason it looks like hes a good defender is because timmy... thats complete bullshit... me thinks that pippen has been a victim of the bruce-a-nator so many times that hes hating

ambchang
09-02-2005, 01:02 PM
Yeah, Bruce sucks on defense, that's why Barry and Devin totally shut down Ray Allen and Carmelo Anthony when Bruce was taking a rest. Oops, that never happened.
And given the limitations of Bruce's offensive game, wouldn't it be obvious to play other players more PT if Bruce wasn't good on defense either? I mean, why was he even on the floor?

TDMVPDPOY
09-02-2005, 03:28 PM
Amare cannot be compared to a backtoback mvp duncan, when amare wins rings and ackowlades like duncan then start comparing, only person his comparable to is probally stat padder

SirChaz
09-02-2005, 03:39 PM
I agree with the first post.
Duncan is clearly a better player than Amare right now.

Considering Duncan had 4 years at Wake and 7(?) in the NBA and Amare just finished his 3rd year out of HS this is not suprising.

Amare has so much physical talent and he is just learning how to use it.

I wouldn't complain to have either player on my favorite team.

pjjrfan
09-02-2005, 04:12 PM
Tim isn't half the athlete that Amare is. Amare isn't half the basketball player that Tim is. His entire game is based on athleticism. He has very little in the way of fundmentals. He is a poor defender, and an extremely poor rebounder. I may be wrong, but I think that minus those missing 400 made 3 pointers that were shown the door this summer, Amare is going to struggle to match last year's gaudy scoring numbers. He won't have a wide open lane because defenders have to honor his shooters any more. He has never before been the focus of the defense before, but you can bet your ass that THOSE days are over.

I gotta agree with that, without those guys to keep the spacing that opens the game for Amare, things are going to get a little crowded down in the paint for Amare. And I'm not convinced that Bells, JOnes and Jacksons shooting will compensate for JJ and QRich being gone. The Suns are defitnitly not the same team anymore. They'll be good but they be will hard pressed to match last season's record.