PDA

View Full Version : Dying Light

Cry Havoc
01-30-2015, 03:16 PM
Anyone played it yet? I can't see myself paying $60 for it, but it's generating a lot of buzz.

J2TSCZqcjR0

lefty
01-30-2015, 03:20 PM
But did the light dieded ?

baseline bum
01-30-2015, 03:30 PM
Anyone played it yet? I can't see myself paying $60 for it, but it's generating a lot of buzz.

J2TSCZqcjR0

It's supposed to a truly horrible port. One of the benchmarks I saw had a Haswell i3 beating Sandy Bridge i7-2600k and i5-2500k pretty decisively, thanks to pinning one core to 100% usage while the others sit in the corner jerking off, like it's Arma or fucking Crysis 1.

Cry Havoc
01-30-2015, 04:07 PM
It's supposed to a truly horrible port. One of the benchmarks I saw had a Haswell i3 beating Sandy Bridge i7-2600k and i5-2500k pretty decisively, thanks to pinning one core to 100% usage while the others sit in the corner jerking off, like it's Arma or fucking Crysis 1.

Hopefully it's patchable.

DJR210
01-30-2015, 05:03 PM
I got it from kickass..

I like it so far, it's like Dead Island with a quality assurance team and parkour. Great graphics. It's been crashing so I'm waiting for a patch.

baseline bum
01-30-2015, 05:21 PM
I got it from kickass..

I like it so far, it's like Dead Island with a quality assurance team and parkour. Great graphics. It's been crashing so I'm waiting for a patch.

^^nosTEAM^^ doing the lord's work

ElNono
01-30-2015, 06:43 PM
I got it from kickass..

Patch is out, tbh...

Dying.Light.Update.v1.2.1.Incl.DLC-RELOADED

Cry Havoc
01-30-2015, 07:02 PM
Opinions on the game itself? It's fun, or not worth my time?

DJR210
01-30-2015, 09:58 PM
Opinions on the game itself? It's fun, or not worth my time?

Worth your time, not worth 60 bucks IMO. In fairness, I don't feel many games are worth the sticker price.

One thing I've noticed that I don't like is they removed the ability to target limbs like in Dead Island.

DJR210
01-30-2015, 10:02 PM
Patch is out, tbh...

Dying.Light.Update.v1.2.1.Incl.DLC-RELOADED
Is this a patch, or the patched game? Do you know if it addresses the crashing?

ElNono
01-30-2015, 10:31 PM
Is this a patch, or the patched game? Do you know if it addresses the crashing?

It's just the update + crack... apparently the update fixes some crashes:

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/dying-light-patch-1-2-1-released-packs-numerous-performance-optimizations/

Strange Love
01-30-2015, 11:18 PM
Almost bought but decided against it at the last minute.

Saints Row 4 seem more fun to be honest.

ElNono
01-30-2015, 11:22 PM
Almost bought but decided against it at the last minute.

Saints Row 4 seem more fun to be honest.

Story is really short on SR4, otherwise, definitely a fun game

Strange Love
01-30-2015, 11:36 PM
Story is really short on SR4, otherwise, definitely a fun game

Yeah I still bought it despite hearing it was a rather short game. But I bought the PS4 version which had the Gat Out of Hell DLC included so at least that will make up for the shortness of story of the main game.

DJR210
01-31-2015, 09:47 PM
This game is the shit..the physics make beating the fuck out of zombies a lot of fun..simple shit like bashing a zombie over the head while he's climbing over a guard rail, and watching him realistically tumble over and land on his head are great.

I wish they would have included more zombie models, they're all the same. Nearly all of them are in bikinis like we're still playing Dead Island.

baseline bum
01-31-2015, 09:50 PM
This game is the shit..the physics make beating the fuck out of zombies a lot of fun..simple shit like bashing a zombie over the head while he's climbing over a guard rail, and watching him realistically tumble over and land on his head are great.

I wish they would have included more zombie models, they're all the same. Nearly all of them are in bikinis like we're still playing Dead Island.

Does this actually run decent at a factory clock? Can you get even close to 100% GPU usage with such a poorly threaded game? I wonder if the overclocked Pentium could actually run this well considering it only has one thread doing all the work.

The CPU threading being shit is why everyone has to turn the draw distance all the way down, right?

DJR210
01-31-2015, 09:59 PM
Does this actually run decent at a factory clock? Can you get even close to 100% GPU usage with such a poorly threaded game? I wonder if the overclocked Pentium could actually run this well considering it only has one thread doing all the work.

The CPU threading being shit is why everyone has to turn the draw distance all the way down, right?

I honestly haven't kept up with it. I'm running at 55-60 without AA and draw distance at 25% which is what I expect with a 680 and new releases..I can't even notice a difference with draw distance down, as there haven't been any lookout points where I can see that far anyway.

I saw they confirmed the CPU usage issue is causing a lot of problems and an official release is coming.

baseline bum
01-31-2015, 10:08 PM
I saw they confirmed the CPU usage issue is causing a lot of problems and an official release is coming.

Damn I fucking hate getting games at launch. They play like shit when they come out and then studios wonder why we wait for them to hit $20 on Steam. After the patches have already fixed the games. :lol

DJR210
01-31-2015, 10:42 PM
Damn I fucking hate getting games at launch. They play like shit when they come out and then studios wonder why we wait for them to hit $20 on Steam. After the patches have already fixed the games. :lol

Yeah, the "always connnected" Era of video games fucking sucks. Everything is rushed. Then you get to purchase the game twice when you factor in DLC that used to be included as part of the base game.

This is why I sail the treacherous seas.

leemajors
01-31-2015, 10:54 PM
Yeah, the "always connnected" Era of video games fucking sucks. Everything is rushed. Then you get to purchase the game twice when you factor in DLC that used to be included as part of the base game.

This is why I sail the treacherous seas.

det shit has been happening for a damn long time now tbh, 10+

DJR210
01-31-2015, 11:00 PM
det shit has been happening for a damn long time now tbh, 10+
Yeah, Bethesda started this shit with their faggoty horse armor.

baseline bum
02-01-2015, 10:38 AM
I honestly haven't kept up with it. I'm running at 55-60 without AA and draw distance at 25% which is what I expect with a 680 and new releases..I can't even notice a difference with draw distance down, as there haven't been any lookout points where I can see that far anyway.

Not bad. Runs at a locked 60FPS with AA for me setting draw distance to 25% (though GeForce experience recommends 50%). I expected it to run like shit. I always turn on VSync though. For instance, Far Cry 4 looks like shit if I leave VSync off but is pretty awesome with it.

Speaking of VSync, I wish I could get Crysis 3 to do VSync only to 60FPS. When I turn VSync on it syncs mostly to 60, but then drops straight to 30 when it can't maintain 60FPS, which makes it stutter like hell even though it never seems to get into the 30s with VSync off. Performs good with it off but the tearing is really bad when it goes above 80FPS. But the game looks so much different maxed out than it does on high.

DJR210
02-01-2015, 03:04 PM

J2TSCZqcjR0

You get it?

Cry Havoc
02-01-2015, 07:43 PM
You get it?

Yes, I "bought" it. If I really like it, I'll "buy" it again. :lol

Haven't played it yet though.

DJR210
02-01-2015, 08:45 PM
Yes, I "bought" it. If I really like it, I'll "buy" it again. :lol

Haven't played it yet though.
PYou borrow the Reloaded, or nosTEAM one?

DJR210
02-01-2015, 09:10 PM
Pretty good idea to combine open world zombies with parkour IMO..The game starts getting to be really fun once you unlock the skill trees.

Irish whipping fools off 3 story roofs is good times :tu

Leetonidas
02-02-2015, 12:27 AM
Bought it the other day, fun as fuck tbh, kinda like Skyrim with zombies

DJR210
02-02-2015, 01:06 AM
Bought it the other day, fun as fuck tbh, kinda like Skyrim with zombies

Other than the lockpicking, how do you figure?

Chris
02-02-2015, 01:44 AM
Probably will check it out but I'm waiting for the official Dead Island 2 which looks terrific

D6h987UqYr4

baseline bum
02-02-2015, 01:57 AM
Other than the lockpicking, how do you figure?

You haven't gotten to the part with the dragons and the shouts yet? Same shit basically. Then you have that civil war between the zombie factions like with the stormcloaks and shit.

DJR210
02-02-2015, 02:48 AM
Probably will check it out but I'm waiting for the official Dead Island 2 which looks terrific

D6h987UqYr4

Why wait, this is basically the same game as Dead Island. It's just a polished version in a different setting.

Leetonidas
02-02-2015, 01:40 PM
Just the whole open world with quests in first person type game reminds of Skyrim, plus the lockpicking. It's probably not that much like it honestly it's just a thing in my bro circle to refer to games like this as "Skyrim wth _______" :lol

DJR210
02-02-2015, 03:30 PM
AFK playing NBA Skyrim 2K15

Leetonidas
02-02-2015, 03:41 PM
:lol

baseline bum
02-02-2015, 07:16 PM
AFK playing NBA Skyrim 2K15

How are the mods on that? Can you make Alpha Durant?

DJR210
02-02-2015, 07:37 PM
How are the mods on that? Can you make Alpha Durant?

I just installed Steel Balls Splitter, and modded Ayers arms to be proportionate to his height.

Chris
02-03-2015, 02:18 PM
Why wait, this is basically the same game as Dead Island. It's just a polished version in a different setting.

Because you said this tbh

Worth your time, not worth 60 bucks IMO. In fairness, I don't feel many games are worth the sticker price.

One thing I've noticed that I don't like is they removed the ability to target limbs like in Dead Island.

Limb combat is what made Dead Island (& Riptide) so much fun imo

DJR210
02-03-2015, 04:22 PM
Because you said this tbh

Limb combat is what made Dead Island (& Riptide) so much fun imo

It's not as bad as I originally thought. You can still target the limbs and they do react to the weapons.

DJR210
02-03-2015, 04:23 PM
Just got to the night time gameplay..holy shit..They nailed the feeling of dread when the sun starts to set.

Leetonidas
02-03-2015, 06:49 PM
Damn son you got a ways to go. The arena fight against the zombies and then the big motherfucker was pretty awesome

DJR210
02-03-2015, 07:38 PM
Damn son you got a ways to go. The arena fight against the zombies and then the big motherfucker was pretty awesome

Cool spoilers bro :tu

Went ahead and deleted the game as there was no need to play it anymore.

Leetonidas
02-03-2015, 08:19 PM
Also forgot to mention Rais is a zombie the whole time and Jade is actually a dude :wow

ElNono
02-03-2015, 08:24 PM
Cool spoilers bro :tu

Went ahead and deleted the game as there was no need to play it anymore.

Actually, at the end you turn into Duke Nukem, but you actually do get to fuck the strippers...

DJR210
02-03-2015, 09:13 PM
Actually, at the end you turn into Duke Nukem, but you actually do get to fuck the strippers...

As a devout Christian, I am so glad I deleted my game earlier then.

DJR210
02-04-2015, 05:39 PM
Also forgot to mention Rais is a zombie the whole time and Jade is actually a dude :wow

:lol fuckin bastard

DJR210
02-13-2015, 07:30 PM
Well, went ahead and bought it. This shits in my top 3 of zombie games..RE2, Dead Rising, Dying Light..

baseline bum
02-13-2015, 08:25 PM
Well, went ahead and bought it. This shits in my top 3 of zombie games..RE2, Dead Rising, Dying Light..

Performance any better with official patches?

DJR210
02-13-2015, 08:59 PM
Performance any better with official patches?

It's about 9 frames better with the CPU optimization patch. Still a piece of shit. A fun piece of shit though.

Leetonidas
02-15-2015, 01:21 AM
Are there problems with the PC version or something? I've gotten stuck inside of ledges and glitched maybe one or two other times but nothing too crazy.

Been about two weeks and still playing the fuck out of this game. Side quests are fun and there's a whole lot of shit to do after the main quest. I hope there is a nice expansion coming out, a new area of Harran would be cool.

tfw no expansion will ever be as great as the Shivering Isles for ES:IV :depressed

DJR210
02-15-2015, 06:21 AM
Are there problems with the PC version or something? I've gotten stuck inside of ledges and glitched maybe one or two other times but nothing too crazy.

Been about two weeks and still playing the fuck out of this game. Side quests are fun and there's a whole lot of shit to do after the main quest. I hope there is a nice expansion coming out, a new area of Harran would be cool.

tfw no expansion will ever be as great as the Shivering Isles for ES:IV :depressed

They patched in a fix for the CPU utilization issues on PC, but it still dips below 60 FPS here and there even with settings turned down.

Cry Havoc
02-15-2015, 08:32 PM
Planning to pick this up tomorrow or Tuesday, I think.

DJR210
02-16-2015, 03:45 AM
Planning to pick this up tomorrow or Tuesday, I think.

This game becomes 17x more fun online in a party of 4 with jackasses invading your game as the Hunter.. The Hunters are extremely OP, but against a party of competent players the odds even up..

Making even a short trip to the nearest safe house with a Hunter on the prowl is fucking awesome..you put your guard down for a second and you're a dead man.

baseline bum
02-17-2015, 02:32 PM
It's about 9 frames better with the CPU optimization patch. Still a piece of shit. A fun piece of shit though.

I get a locked 60FPS on the reloaded version when outside with draw distance at 50%. It's one of the few times GeForce Experience recommendations actually are optimal. :lol

If I put it at 100% I get lots of drops into the mid 50s though.

DJR210
02-17-2015, 05:46 PM
I get a locked 60FPS on the reloaded version when outside with draw distance at 50%. It's one of the few times GeForce Experience recommendations actually are optimal. :lol

If I put it at 100% I get lots of drops into the mid 50s though.

The official build is at 1.4.0 now, and they fixed all of the issues. The game performs as it should now :tu

And yeah, draw distance is worthless..I turn it down all the way..if you get on top of a lookout point and compare, you might see an additional bus rendered in the distance, or a small group of zombies 100 yards farther out.. not worth it at all.

Also, if you are getting any kind of choppiness when getting attacked by zombies, or when the spitter hits you with acid, turn Nvidia Depth of Field off and it's fixed. Another worthless setting as DoF is still present when it's off.

I know you're Jew about the online multiplayer, but that shit is a lot more fun.

baseline bum
02-17-2015, 07:37 PM
The official build is at 1.4.0 now, and they fixed all of the issues. The game performs as it should now :tu

And yeah, draw distance is worthless..I turn it down all the way..if you get on top of a lookout point and compare, you might see an additional bus rendered in the distance, or a small group of zombies 100 yards farther out.. not worth it at all.

Also, if you are getting any kind of choppiness when getting attacked by zombies, or when the spitter hits you with acid, turn Nvidia Depth of Field off and it's fixed. Another worthless setting as DoF is still present when it's off.

I know you're Jew about the online multiplayer, but that shit is a lot more fun.

Oops, I was off. I just jumped on the interstate and my framerate tanked into the mid 50s.

DJR210
02-17-2015, 09:56 PM
Oops, I was off. I just jumped on the interstate and my framerate tanked into the mid 50s.

Fire and smoke = drops

Turn draw distance to zero and disable DoF.

baseline bum
02-18-2015, 05:12 PM
Fire and smoke = drops

Turn draw distance to zero and disable DoF.

The fire and smoke aren't the cause I think. I'm guessing it's more a CPU bottleneck from having a million zombies in the area. Perhaps you aren't seeing it since you have much stronger single core performance (don't you have something like a 4.5GHz overclocked i5?).

DJR210
02-18-2015, 05:15 PM
The fire and smoke aren't the cause I think. I'm guessing it's more a CPU bottleneck from having a million zombies in the area. Perhaps you aren't seeing it since you have much stronger single core performance (don't you have something like a 4.5GHz overclocked i5?).

Si mon ese..

What CPU you running again?

baseline bum
02-18-2015, 07:37 PM
Si mon ese..

What CPU you running again?

Xeon E7-8890v2 (no really, i5-4590)

DJR210
02-18-2015, 08:16 PM
Xeon E7-8890v2 (no really, i5-4590)

I don't see how that would bottleneck though..

baseline bum
02-18-2015, 08:48 PM
I don't see how that would bottleneck though..

If the game's performance is dominated by one thread, then an extra 1GHz on each core might make a pretty good difference. I haven't checked my GPU usage while playing, but I suspect the frame drops are more CPU than GPU.

DJR210
02-18-2015, 09:55 PM
If the game's performance is dominated by one thread, then an extra 1GHz on each core might make a pretty good difference. I haven't checked my GPU usage while playing, but I suspect the frame drops are more CPU than GPU.

What version are you running? 1.2.1 should have fixed the CPU issue

baseline bum
02-18-2015, 09:57 PM
What version are you running? 1.2.1 should have fixed the CPU issue

The kickass.to version tbh

DJR210
02-18-2015, 09:59 PM
The kickass.to version tbh

At the bottom right corner on the main menu it will tell you the version.

baseline bum
02-18-2015, 10:08 PM

It's 1.2.1. It definitely fixed the CPU usage a lot, as I heard on the initial release you'd always hit about 30FPS when turning right to look at those birds when first leaving the tower. I'll fire the game up with Riva Tuner and see what my CPU thread usage and GPU usage are like with VSync off.

baseline bum
02-18-2015, 10:23 PM

You're right, they fixed the CPU usage enormously. It seems much more evenly distributed across the cores. I still think I have a slight CPU bottleneck though, as I occasionally have my GPU usage drop into the low 90%s and even 80%s, when almost everything else I have (even Crysis 3) is at 100% GPU usage almost exclusively. Though Dying Light stays near 100% GPU usage the majority of the time as long as VSync is off. I was surprised to see at 1080p it was using 3.7GB of my 970's VRAM maxed out except with draw distance at 50%, since the 970 really hates to go above 3.5GB thanks to the gimped last 0.5GB. Game is memory hungry as fuck too, it was using 6.5GB of my system memory. Shit, needing 16GB doesn't seem so far out now. I think I'll buy this shit though, got about 10% in the last couple of days and it's a really awesome game. I just hope we get to see Jade's bush later on (hopefully not DLC).

DJR210
02-18-2015, 10:52 PM
You're right, they fixed the CPU usage enormously. It seems much more evenly distributed across the cores. I still think I have a slight CPU bottleneck though, as I occasionally have my GPU usage drop into the low 90%s and even 80%s, when almost everything else I have (even Crysis 3) is at 100% GPU usage almost exclusively. Though Dying Light stays near 100% GPU usage the majority of the time as long as VSync is off. I was surprised to see at 1080p it was using 3.7GB of my 970's VRAM maxed out except with draw distance at 50%, since the 970 really hates to go above 3.5GB thanks to the gimped last 0.5GB. Game is memory hungry as fuck too, it was using 6.5GB of my system memory. Shit, needing 16GB doesn't seem so far out now. I think I'll buy this shit though, got about 10% in the last couple of days and it's a really awesome game. I just hope we get to see Jade's bush later on (hopefully not DLC).

1.4.0 resolves the issues with ridiculous amounts of RAM and VRAM, and a shit load of other optimizations. You should try and get the update..or stop being a jew and buy it.

Also, make sure to disable in game v-sync, and instead go with adaptive and triple buffering in the control panel.

baseline bum
02-20-2015, 07:19 PM
Anyone else find the Anti-West vibe of the game hilarious? :lol

Also, the bitch who voices Jade is fine as fuck tbh

http://media.comicbook.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/nazneen-contractor-photo.jpg

DJR210
02-21-2015, 12:47 AM

http://media.comicbook.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/nazneen-contractor-photo.jpg

God damn, I'd insert my tongue in her ass at least 3 inches

Leetonidas
02-21-2015, 01:58 AM
It is somewhat anti-West but still the dude that kicks the most ass and saves everyone's ass and fucks shit up is an American :lol

Leetonidas
02-21-2015, 01:58 AM
BTW what city is Harran supposed to be? Istanbul?

baseline bum
02-21-2015, 02:26 AM
BTW what city is Harran supposed to be? Istanbul?

My first guess was everyone was Persian, but Harran is in Turkey near Syria and Iraq (and like 250 miles from Iran).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harran

baseline bum
02-21-2015, 08:55 PM
LOL XBox One can't even maintain 30 FPS

BKuH40zGTwo

DJR210
02-21-2015, 11:25 PM
LOL XBox One can't even maintain 30 FPS

BKuH40zGTwo

:lol Next gen

30 FPS looks absolutely terrible, wtf is wrong with these console peasants

DJR210
02-21-2015, 11:28 PM

What's this chick's name btw, I need some new fap material

baseline bum
02-21-2015, 11:33 PM
What's this chick's name btw, I need some new fap material

Her name is Nazneen Contractor.

DJR210
02-21-2015, 11:37 PM
Her name is Nazneen Contractor.

Thanks breh *wet high five*

Cry Havoc
02-22-2015, 12:14 AM

Thoughts on Aisha Tyler?

baseline bum
02-22-2015, 01:05 AM
:lol Next gen

30 FPS looks absolutely terrible, wtf is wrong with these console peasants

This game does look pretty freaking sweet maxed out with AA on 1920x1080 at 60FPS though. It must really be something at 1440p or 4k.

DJR210
02-22-2015, 01:15 AM
This game does look pretty freaking sweet maxed out with AA on 1920x1080 at 60FPS though. It must really be something at 1440p or 4k.

Yeah, they did a great job with the visuals..bout to smoke a couple bowls and get on it tbh

Leetonidas
02-22-2015, 11:39 AM
The only thing that I will say is once you become strong and max your trees out the game is way too easy tbh. "Hard" quarantine zones take me like 2 minutes to beat which is kinda disappointing. Makes me wish I had a PC to play this on so I could get mods to make the zombies harder. Even the biggest mofos are getting their shit fucked up with one swing. Guess I shouldn't have upgraded my weapons to do like 1700 damage :depressed

baseline bum
02-22-2015, 11:40 AM
The only thing that I will say is once you become strong and max your trees out the game is way too easy tbh. "Hard" quarantine zones take me like 2 minutes to beat which is kinda disappointing. Makes me wish I had a PC to play this on so I could get mods to make the zombies harder. Even the biggest mofos are getting their shit fucked up with one swing. Guess I shouldn't have upgraded my weapons to do like 1700 damage :depressed

Damn, I thought it was too easy now with my weapons dealing 250 damage. :lol

Leetonidas
02-22-2015, 12:48 PM
lol well when you can go out at night like it's no big deal then you know you're too strong

baseline bum
02-22-2015, 01:18 PM
lol well when you can go out at night like it's no big deal then you know you're too strong

I pretty much do that already. :lol

DJR210
02-22-2015, 02:03 PM

The devs are working on an ultra difficulty level as DLC as we speak. Coming out in March.

DJR210
02-22-2015, 02:06 PM
Damn, I thought it was too easy now with my weapons dealing 250 damage. :lol

Yeah, once you start getting swords and sickles and shit it's a wrap

baseline bum
02-22-2015, 03:24 PM
Holy fuck the museum is about the most violent thing I think I have ever seen in a game. And I didn't think this game could get better. :lol

baseline bum
02-22-2015, 03:41 PM
Still, I'm bummed you never get to bone Jade.

Leetonidas
02-22-2015, 03:54 PM
There are tunnels and shit where there are just piles of pure human carnage, like a giant mass of organs and limbs and rotting carcasses and shit :lol this game has some pretty gnarly gore in it. I hate when you see dogs with their guts ripped out though :depressed

baseline bum
02-22-2015, 04:58 PM
Yeah, once you start getting swords and sickles and shit it's a wrap

Shotgun and police rifle too.

DJR210
02-22-2015, 05:26 PM
Shotgun and police rifle too.

Military rifle tbh

DJR210
02-22-2015, 05:27 PM
My choice for game of the year so far

baseline bum
02-22-2015, 06:25 PM
My choice for game of the year so far

I really enjoyed Far Cry 4, but Dying Light is definitely better. Though I guess FC4 is a 2014 game. I still gotta play Shadow of Mordor though, that looks pretty awesome.

Leetonidas
02-23-2015, 03:23 PM
Dude, Shadow of Mordor is legit. I'm still waiting for DLC to come out so I can get back on that shit (lord of the hunt looked kinda ghey tbh) but the game itself is fun as fuck and really enjoyable. My only issue was I felt it wasn't long enough. But I always feel that way :lol

DJR210
02-23-2015, 06:00 PM
The side quests on Dying Light are pretty legit, so this game is stretching out nicely..I already have like 30 hours in, and I'm only like 20% done with the campaign.

DJR210
02-23-2015, 06:00 PM
That side mission where you gotta climb the bridge at night was tight IMO

baseline bum
02-23-2015, 06:45 PM
That side mission where you gotta climb the bridge at night was tight IMO

Is there any way to do that without the grappling hook?

baseline bum
02-23-2015, 07:43 PM
The side quests on Dying Light are pretty legit, so this game is stretching out nicely..I already have like 30 hours in, and I'm only like 20% done with the campaign.

Damn, you have swords and sickles only 20% into the main quest? Have you recovered every airdrop or something to get that many survivor points?

DJR210
02-23-2015, 09:14 PM
Damn, you have swords and sickles only 20% into the main quest? Have you recovered every airdrop or something to get that many survivor points?

Yeah, the drops don't even come anymore

Leetonidas
02-24-2015, 11:40 AM
Go clear quarantine zones, really easy way to collect drops and level up your survival rank. And at night just stand at the edge of your safe zones and fuck shit up and you'll level up fast because of the double points and none of them will fuck with you that close to the sz

DJR210
02-24-2015, 04:49 PM
How many quarantine zones are there? I've done a couple..one in a store, another in an underground parking garage..

Leetonidas
02-24-2015, 05:55 PM
Pretty sure there are 8, but I'm not sure if that includes the two you get with the season pass or not

DJR210
02-24-2015, 06:15 PM
Pretty sure there are 8, but I'm not sure if that includes the two you get with the season pass or not

Speaking of season pass..the DLC seems kinda lackluster from what I read on Steam.

Leetonidas
02-24-2015, 06:43 PM
Link? I wanna know what else it entails tbh because right now it's just two more quarantine zones and the night hunter mode and I don't really care for invading random people's games. So as of now it's kinda meh but my pockets are fat right now so I didn't mind dropping 20 on it

DJR210
02-24-2015, 06:46 PM
Link? I wanna know what else it entails tbh because right now it's just two more quarantine zones and the night hunter mode and I don't really care for invading random people's games. So as of now it's kinda meh but my pockets are fat right now so I didn't mind dropping 20 on it

:lol income tax come in?

Gimme a sec, I'll link what I read..

DJR210
02-24-2015, 06:49 PM
Here it is:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/335810/

Leetonidas
02-24-2015, 06:59 PM
:lol income tax come in?

Gimme a sec, I'll link what I read..

:lol sort of. I already had a good amount of cash before that and I got a pretty good refund this year so that just added to it, plus I get paid decently for a working college student so I'm just stacking checks right now...and the only thing I've really bought for myself out of all that was a G3 and a nice Gravlabs bong...smoking resin is a thing of the past for me at this point :smokin

Leetonidas
02-24-2015, 07:06 PM
Is there a review on there somewhere that I'm missing? All I see is regular game and DLC details and shit.

But that description for the new quarantine zone is pretty misleading considering the reward/objective style is the same as the others

DJR210
02-24-2015, 07:15 PM
I hear you, I just got a fat refund check too..I bought me a nice glass bubbler from the Arabs for 15 bucks, shit would have been 60 bucks at Planet K.

As for the DLC shit, the description is what I was talking about..it says it's gonna be 3 parts, and mentioned some new weapons, a new mode, and a couple of quarantine zones.. unless the 3 DLC packs are separate from what's in that description, that shit sounds like a waste IMO.

baseline bum
02-24-2015, 07:43 PM
Damn I'm sad, as I finished the main storyline and didn't want this game to end. I still have some side missions to do though at least.

DJR210
02-24-2015, 09:24 PM
Damn I'm sad, as I finished the main storyline and didn't want this game to end. I still have some side missions to do though at least.

The side missions are like mini campaigns IMO, they aren't your typical go get x and take it to x type things.. they have some story to them in most cases, and they definitely showcase the different types of gameplay.

Also..do you feel guilty that you jacked Techland yet?

baseline bum
02-24-2015, 10:16 PM
The side missions are like mini campaigns IMO, they aren't your typical go get x and take it to x type things.. they have some story to them in most cases, and they definitely showcase the different types of gameplay.

Yeah, I have done lots of the side missions. I like the two baldheaded brothers or whatever who talk to you like you're five years old.

Also..do you feel guilty that you jacked Techland yet?

:cry Yes :cry
:cry To make up for it I'll go jack something from one of their competitors :cry

Leetonidas
02-24-2015, 10:36 PM
I hear you, I just got a fat refund check too..I bought me a nice glass bubbler from the Arabs for 15 bucks, shit would have been 60 bucks at Planet K.

As for the DLC shit, the description is what I was talking about..it says it's gonna be 3 parts, and mentioned some new weapons, a new mode, and a couple of quarantine zones.. unless the 3 DLC packs are separate from what's in that description, that shit sounds like a waste IMO.

I'm hoping that because it is an RPG that future DLC will have a new side campaign or something and more missions/modes. If the first was just two quarantine zones and a couple weapons then I'm not sure I like where this is going...

baseline bum
02-24-2015, 10:50 PM
I'm hoping that because it is an RPG that future DLC will have a new side campaign or something and more missions/modes. If the first was just two quarantine zones and a couple weapons then I'm not sure I like where this is going...

Why U no lyke horse armor?

DJR210
02-25-2015, 12:09 AM

I expect a new chunk of story content, a new level cap and shit to grind for, new weapons and new modes..if I can't get that for the discounted price of 19.99 on a season pass, then fuck that shit

baseline bum
02-25-2015, 12:13 AM
The fucking babies are annoying as hell

Cry Havoc
02-25-2015, 01:09 PM
Just picked this up last night for $36 from cdkeys.com.

DJR210
02-25-2015, 01:18 PM
Just picked this up last night for $36 from cdkeys.com.

Co-op campaign if you're talking bout it

baseline bum
03-01-2015, 06:59 PM
Also, make sure to disable in game v-sync, and instead go with adaptive and triple buffering in the control panel.

Why do you prefer adaptive to standard VSync? In standard VSync it just repeats the same frame when it doesn't get a new one in the 1/60th of a second time, while in adaptive it just draws whatever is there in that 1/60th of a second even if it's not a full frame, right? (console style)

So standard vs adaptive is about whether you find slight stutter or slight tearing more reasonable when you're close to hitting 60 FPS locked but not quite there?

DJR210
03-01-2015, 07:19 PM
Why do you prefer adaptive to standard VSync? In standard VSync it just repeats the same frame when it doesn't get a new one in the 1/60th of a second time, while in adaptive it just draws whatever is there in that 1/60th of a second even if it's not a full frame, right? (console style)

So standard vs adaptive is about whether you find slight stutter or slight tearing more reasonable when you're close to hitting 60 FPS locked but not quite there?

Tbh, I never never exactly how to explain adaptive. I played around with both, and found I was less distracted by anything when using adaptive.

baseline bum
03-01-2015, 07:23 PM
Tbh, I never never exactly how to explain adaptive. I played around with both, and found I was less distracted by anything when using adaptive.

I generally find that too. I really hate screen tearing when the video card is outputting 80-100 FPS on a 60Hz screen, but I barely notice it when the framerate drops to 53 or so with adaptive VSync on. Of course it only makes sense for when your settings are enough to get you close to a locked 60 FPS, at least in my experience.

baseline bum
03-01-2015, 07:25 PM
Do you find that on all games, or just Dying Light? Far Cry 4 I was using regular VSync and it looked horrible any time I dropped below 60 FPS so I ran it on Very High. But after using adaptive VSync to 60Hz I can run it at Ultra and it looks great. BTW, I found an annoying bug in Windows 7 where it was setting my display to 59Hz instead of 60Hz by default, so that when I would do adaptive VSync through the Nvidia control panel it would try to output to 1080i, holy fuck it looked horrible 30FPS interlaced on a progressive scan 60Hz screen. After finding out and setting the monitor to run at 60Hz adaptive Vsync looks awesome though. :lol

DJR210
03-01-2015, 10:33 PM
Do you find that on all games, or just Dying Light? Far Cry 4 I was using regular VSync and it looked horrible any time I dropped below 60 FPS so I ran it on Very High. But after using adaptive VSync to 60Hz I can run it at Ultra and it looks great. BTW, I found an annoying bug in Windows 7 where it was setting my display to 59Hz instead of 60Hz by default, so that when I would do adaptive VSync through the Nvidia control panel it would try to output to 1080i, holy fuck it looked horrible 30FPS interlaced on a progressive scan 60Hz screen. After finding out and setting the monitor to run at 60Hz adaptive Vsync looks awesome though. :lol

I typically stay away from control panel v-sync, but Dying Light is a rare exception that looks much better with it. The in game still tears way too much for me to want to use it.

Cry Havoc
03-10-2015, 02:47 PM
Patch 1.5 is LIVE.

Features:
Hard Mode added
Hard mode added.
Hard mode added.
National outfits added
4 outfits as a reward for finishing the story campaign added
Over 50 new weapons added
New weapon rarity level – extremely rare Gold weapons added
Gameplay:
Various balance tweaks of weapons, loot chests, shops and crafting
Various improvements to game quests
Improvements in natural movement flow
Technical:
Resolved various stability issues including co-op
Improved overall game performance
Visuals:
Various improvements in world and character art
Be the Zombie:
New option to enable zombie invasions with co-op disabled added
Linux specific improvements:
Added AMD Radeon support (Please note - the NPC dialogue lip-sync will be enabled in a future patch)
Improved performance significantly
Fixed glitch when changing resolution
Improved mouse scroll speed in map menu
Disabled SSAO and AA options (TBD)
Fixed minor rendering issues
Fixed screenshots capturing
Fixed crashed related to audio driver

DJR210
03-10-2015, 04:21 PM
Fuck me, 50 new weapons?

Cry Havoc
03-10-2015, 07:05 PM
Fuck me, 50 new weapons?

I can't wait to find my first gold weapon.

http://leapdaysports.com/wp-content/uploads/396capture_goldmember04.jpg

Leetonidas
03-10-2015, 07:59 PM
Is this a cross platform patch or just PC? Haven't played Dying Light in a few days, this would make it more interesting

Cry Havoc
03-10-2015, 08:13 PM
Is this a cross platform patch or just PC? Haven't played Dying Light in a few days, this would make it more interesting

Everything. Ps4 got it already from what I'm reading.

Leetonidas
03-10-2015, 08:45 PM
Nice :tu I'll have to get down on that

Strange Love
03-10-2015, 09:43 PM
Is this game THAT good? To see the resident techies foaming at the mouth for it..umm maybe I'll pick this up along with Project cars in a few weeks.

Cry Havoc
03-10-2015, 11:21 PM
Is this game THAT good? To see the resident techies foaming at the mouth for it..umm maybe I'll pick this up along with Project cars in a few weeks.

It's fucking crack. Sucked me completely into that world. :tu Best game I've played in quite some time.

DJR210
03-10-2015, 11:45 PM

I shoot it between my toes. Yeah, it's that good. It's rare that I bootleg a game and go back and buy it. The gore, the skills, the physics, the graphics, the co-op..this game is the shit.

DJR210
03-10-2015, 11:46 PM
What new weapons did they add??

baseline bum
03-11-2015, 03:34 AM

It's easily the best game I have played since Skyrim.

baseline bum
03-14-2015, 06:25 PM
Damn, Dying Light is not kind at all to AMD hardware, and this is even with the 1.4.0 patch.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dying-light-benchmark-performance-analysis,4060.html

http://media.bestofmicro.com/K/L/481557/gallery/high-1080-FR_r_600x450.png

http://media.bestofmicro.com/K/X/481569/gallery/CPU-FR_r_600x450.png

:lmao FX-9590

I know the R9 290x looks pretty shitty in this benchmark too, but that's the exception. By contrast the FX-9590's shitty performance is the rule. :lol

:lol 220W CPU that needs to be watercooled and used with a $150 board
:lol piece of shit CPU launching at $1000 like it was an i7-5960x or some shit
:lol $110 Core i3s outperform it in most games
:lol Bulldozer
:lol Piledriver

DJR210
03-14-2015, 07:38 PM
Damn, Dying Light is not kind at all to AMD hardware, and this is even with the 1.4.0 patch.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dying-light-benchmark-performance-analysis,4060.html

http://media.bestofmicro.com/K/X/481569/gallery/CPU-FR_r_600x450.png

:lmao FX-9590

I know the R9 290x looks pretty shitty in this benchmark too, but that's the exception. By contrast the FX-9590's shitty performance is the rule. :lol

:lol 220W CPU that needs to be watercooled and used with a $150 board
:lol piece of shit CPU launching at $1000 like it was an i7-5960x or some shit
:lol $110 Core i3s outperform it in most games
:lol Bulldozer
:lol Piledriver

AMD is absolute trash, always will be. Cost to performance ratio is a stupid ass argument anyway IMO, if you're pinching pennies PC gaming is probably not the best hobby.

Also, it's the 1.5 patch that supposedly fixed the AMD issues.

baseline bum
03-14-2015, 07:41 PM
AMD is absolute trash, always will be. Cost to performance ratio is a stupid ass argument anyway IMO, if you're pinching pennies PC gaming is probably not the best hobby.

Also, it's the 1.5 patch that supposedly fixed the AMD issues.

AMD is crap now, but Intel used to be the guys putting out garbage CPUs until Conroe came out in 2006. And AMD CPUs were still pretty awesome until Bulldozer. Ever since then they have been shit for CPUs.

baseline bum
03-14-2015, 07:52 PM
I don't know what the fuck AMD is thinking with their CPU strategy though. Who is buying one of their $150 A10 APUs? If I'm building an office PC or a multimedia PC why am I buying that over a $110 i3 that works great with HD Graphics 4600 (or even better Iris Graphics once Broadwell and Skylake hit)? If I'm building a gaming PC at the low end I'm much better off with a $110 i3 and a $100 R7 260x. Plus you can only Crossfire their APUs with R7 250x or lower.

DJR210
03-14-2015, 07:57 PM
AMD dying is gonna add at least 100.00 bucks to everything Intel and Nvidia makes :td

Cry Havoc
03-15-2015, 12:45 PM
At least AMD GPUs are competitive, and often better bang for the buck and overall faster than Intel.

baseline bum
03-15-2015, 01:41 PM
At least AMD GPUs are competitive, and often better bang for the buck and overall faster than Intel.

Nvidia still has nothing good in the $150-$250 range that most gamers buy their GPUs in. Supposedly AMD is releasing the R9 370/370x next month though, which will probably get Nvidia off their lazy asses to release a decent midrange GPU to fill the huge performance gap between the 960 and 970.

DJR210
03-15-2015, 11:47 PM

:lol and there's the infamous "price to performance ratio" argument..

baseline bum
03-16-2015, 12:32 AM

If price to performance doesn't matter you should go get SLI Titan X tbh

DJR210
03-16-2015, 02:31 AM
If price to performance doesn't matter you should go get SLI Titan X tbh

Done..Tri-SLI tbh

baseline bum
03-16-2015, 08:38 AM
Done..Tri-SLI tbh

Truth. 4-way usually gets less performance than 3-way in game. :lol

Cry Havoc
03-16-2015, 10:54 AM

It's better priced AND faster, regardless of cost.

Cry Havoc
03-16-2015, 01:32 PM
Just finished the game. Very disappointing ending.

baseline bum
03-16-2015, 01:46 PM

I know, I wanted to creampie Jade, even after.

baseline bum
03-16-2015, 01:47 PM
Fucking last building is hard though, even with mouse and keyboard.

Leetonidas
03-16-2015, 02:37 PM

What were you expecting tbh? I was more disappointed with the actual sequence between Rais and Crane, much like how you "fight" Sauron at the end of SoM. But I hadn't done any sidequests when I beat it so I had tons of game to play

Cry Havoc
03-16-2015, 02:54 PM
What were you expecting tbh? I was more disappointed with the actual sequence between Rais and Crane, much like how you "fight" Sauron at the end of SoM. But I hadn't done any sidequests when I beat it so I had tons of game to play

That's exactly my complaint. Not the ending, but the QTE.

Leetonidas
03-16-2015, 03:00 PM
At least Crane fucked his shit up in the end, but yeah, I would've liked to fight him like Tahir at least

baseline bum
03-16-2015, 03:01 PM
That's exactly my complaint. Not the ending, but the QTE.

It wouldn't have made sense to make it a boss fight since Rais should be a lot weaker than some of the zombies.

Cry Havoc
03-16-2015, 03:05 PM
It wouldn't have made sense to make it a boss fight since Rais should be a lot weaker than some of the zombies.

So take Kyle's weapons away, or cripple him somehow. Rais could have juiced on some zombie genetics and become a one-armed monster. Anything is better than a QTE.

baseline bum
03-16-2015, 04:47 PM
So take Kyle's weapons away, or cripple him somehow. Rais could have juiced on some zombie genetics and become a one-armed monster. Anything is better than a QTE.

I'm fine with it. The hard part of that mission is getting to Rais along all those narrow beams and ledges. I couldn't picture Rais infecting himself, he's not a moron.

Cry Havoc
03-16-2015, 06:34 PM
I'm fine with it. The hard part of that mission is getting to Rais along all those narrow beams and ledges. I couldn't picture Rais infecting himself, he's not a moron.

One thing that game does better than almost any other is the sense you get of being up high. I've never really felt leery of heights in a game before (not a fan of them IRL), but DL definitely made my stomach feel a little strange a couple of times.

I can't wait to try a game like this out with the Rift.

DJR210
03-16-2015, 11:41 PM
One thing that game does better than almost any other is the sense you get of being up high. I've never really felt leery of heights in a game before (not a fan of them IRL), but DL definitely made my stomach feel a little strange a couple of times.

If it ever comes out..

baseline bum
03-23-2015, 07:16 PM

You use Crossfire 6950's right? How does Dying Light perform on your system? I heard the game still doesn't have a Crossfire profile and the Tom's Hardware benchmark shows horrible performance for AMD cards.

What settings do you use and what kind of framerates do you get?

DJR210
03-23-2015, 09:02 PM
You use Crossfire 6950's right? How does Dying Light perform on your system? I heard the game still doesn't have a Crossfire profile and the Tom's Hardware benchmark shows horrible performance for AMD cards.

I was having some FPS drops recently, more so than ever before.. I didn't realize how much VRAM was being taken up on high textures.. that shit is easily over 3.5 GB's (2GB 680).. I turned them down to medium and then maxed everything else even draw distance and get 60 FPS with hardly ever a drop.. The only thing I keep off because it's absolutely retarded is Nvidia DoF.. even off there is still DoF effects, so I don't see why I would eliminate 20 FPS for it.

Also, what do you guys think about SLI? I want to upgrade my card, and I don't think the 980 Ti is coming until 2016.. Was considering SLI 970's, the benchmarks show almost twice the power of a 980.. My only concern in a possible lack of support for SLI, or other issues related to dual cards.

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_970_SLI/images/crysis3_2560_1600.gif

baseline bum
03-23-2015, 09:31 PM
I was having some FPS drops recently, more so than ever before.. I didn't realize how much VRAM was being taken up on high textures.. that shit is easily over 3.5 GB's (2GB 680).. I turned them down to medium and then maxed everything else even draw distance and get 60 FPS with hardly ever a drop.. The only thing I keep off because it's absolutely retarded is Nvidia DoF.. even off there is still DoF effects, so I don't see why I would eliminate 20 FPS for it.

Also, what do you guys think about SLI? I want to upgrade my card, and I don't think the 980 Ti is coming until 2016.. Was considering SLI 970's, the benchmarks show almost twice the power of a 980.. My only concern in a possible lack of support for SLI, or other issues related to dual cards.

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_970_SLI/images/crysis3_2560_1600.gif

I haven't seen that kind of VRAM usage since 1.2.0, when my 970 mostly stayed at 3.5GB but sometimes went as high as 3.7GB with everything maxed out except shadow map size and draw distance around 50%. From 1.4.0 and on my VRAM usage is under 3GB at the same settings except with draw distance a little higher. I have always run it with AA since the game seems mostly CPU bottlenecked with a 970. DOF doesn't seem to give my 970 much of a performance hit and I always have it on. Shadow map size is a huge performance killer for me if I run it very high instead of high. Drops me from steady low 60s to steady low 50s when I have VSync off.

I think you'd be nuts to do 970 SLI with the slow 0.5GB of VRAM on it. No way this card's going to age that well. And 980 SLI at about $1200 is crazy, I'd rather just get a single Titan X for $1000 and not have to deal with SLI profiles and crap. I'm not sure we'll see a 980 Ti like we did with the 780 Ti. The 780 Ti was the full version of the original Titan with half the VRAM, but I don't think anything is disabled in the Titan X this time (original Titan was a 780 Ti with 1/8 of the card disabled and with extra VRAM). And the 980 is the fully enabled GM204 chip. I think they'll eventually release a 960 Ti that's a cut down GM 204 with 192 bit bus and 3GB of VRAM, as there is just an enormous performance gap (~50%) between the 960 and 970. And of course a $140 price gap too. It'll probably be needed when AMD drops the R9 300 series with midrange cards that should shit all over the 960.

I think you'd be best off sticking with your 680 right now and waiting for Pascal and HBM in 2016. Supposedly that shit will smash anything Nvidia has right now with Maxwell. If you just need something to hold out until then get a 970, as it plays most games at 1080p ultra at close to locked 60 FPS. I know you say you like reference cards, but don't get a reference 970 if you go that route. The Gigabyte G1 Gaming is often capable of boosting to and beyond 1500 MHz. I have the EVGA SC ACX 2.0 and it's only really stable up to 1420 MHz or so boost, supposedly they recycled 760 PCBs in their 970s and 980s. Obviously not talking about the really high end shit like the 980 Classifieds though.

Cry Havoc
03-23-2015, 09:48 PM

I set textures to medium and the draw distance to half, and maxed almost everything else and it runs really well. I get the occasional hiccup but overall it's very smooth and absolutely gorgeous. I probably get around 50 FPS, but of course if I cranked to max settings it would drop.

baseline bum
03-23-2015, 09:55 PM
I set textures to medium and the draw distance to half, and maxed almost everything else and it runs really well. I get the occasional hiccup but overall it's very smooth and absolutely gorgeous. I probably get around 50 FPS, but of course if I cranked to max settings it would drop.

Is that only after 1.5 or has it always run like that? That's a lot better than I was expecting. So I guess it's using both GPUs to get that level of performance?

baseline bum
03-23-2015, 09:59 PM
I'm amazed at how good Dying Light looks even on low. Far Cry 4 also looks pretty awesome on low. Makes me feel like a 970 was a waste of money tbh. But then you have games like Crysis 3 that are night and day better on very high than on high. Haven't even tried that shit on medium since high is such a step down.

Cry Havoc
03-23-2015, 10:16 PM
Is that only after 1.5 or has it always run like that? That's a lot better than I was expecting. So I guess it's using both GPUs to get that level of performance?

After 1.5. I didn't play it when it was released (i.e., broken and using like 10 gigs of RAM), but after the first patch I've had a pretty good experience.

And yes, the game is *incredibly* gorgeous. Jaw dropping at times, even. Them sun shafts baby. When in the middle of a mission and you realize there's 30 minutes until sundown.

baseline bum
03-23-2015, 10:27 PM
After 1.5. I didn't play it when it was released (i.e., broken and using like 10 gigs of RAM), but after the first patch I've had a pretty good experience.

And yes, the game is *incredibly* gorgeous. Jaw dropping at times, even. Them sun shafts baby. When in the middle of a mission and you realize there's 30 minutes until sundown.

I love the film grain too, and the eerie music, like I'm starring in some 1970s grindhouse B-movie. The immersion is incredible in it. I haven't played it in a few weeks since I'm playing Dragon Age Inquisition right now, but once I'm done with that I think I'll be ready for another playthrough (DAI is awesome, but no Dying Light for sure). I really love a single-player sandbox action-RPG with a great storyline, which is why my favorite games are GTA Vice City, GTA San Andreas, Skyrim, and Dying Light.

baseline bum
03-24-2015, 08:51 PM

If you are going to do SLI 970s, do it now when the best 970 on the market is only $320

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125684

And then give me the second Witcher 3 code :lol

OYNA78wYt4o

baseline bum
03-26-2015, 10:18 PM

Figured you'd be interested in this video since you're considering 970 SLI:

UtWL3D9ZL3Q

baseline bum
03-26-2015, 10:27 PM
And the accompanying article:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-revisited

DJR210
03-26-2015, 10:35 PM
Figured you'd be interested in this video since you're considering 970 SLI:

UtWL3D9ZL3Q

damn.. the raw FPS on the SLI 970 is misleading.. thanks

baseline bum
03-26-2015, 11:01 PM
damn.. the raw FPS on the SLI 970 is misleading.. thanks

What do you mean? It seems to hold its own pretty well in their tests except when using settings that are unplayable on 980 SLI even. Or are you referring to the stutter in SLI period? Seems like you'll see less stutter in single card setups.

S5aPkZFnVYU

Eurogamer is by far my #1 resource since they do the FCAT testing to quantify smoothness.

DJR210
03-30-2015, 12:53 AM
baseline bum

So.. after a ton of consideration, I finally made my decision on a new monitor. I wanted the RoG Swift, but was concerned over the potential QA issues, and also at the complaints on Asus' terrible customer service on RMA's. I saw one guy who said he would call multiple times in a day, and could never even reach a CSR. If I did go with a higher res monitor, I would also want a newer GPU, but I'm gonna wait for the next major increase before I make that jump.

So, I decided on the Acer XB270H.. It's a 1080p monitor, but that's still fine for me. It's a little bigger than my current monitor at 27", and includes all the bells and whistles I wanted.. G-Sync, 144hz, 1ms, 3D and ULMB.. Plus, got it on sale for 449.00, 454.00 w/ 3 day shipping.

I'm looking forward to some BF4 and CSGO on this shit. Arma 3 should benefit big too, that shit averages about 40-50 frames for me, so the G-Sync should help a lot.

baseline bum
03-30-2015, 01:12 AM
baseline bum

So.. after a ton of consideration, I finally made my decision on a new monitor. I wanted the RoG Swift, but was concerned over the potential QA issues, and also at the complaints on Asus' terrible customer service on RMA's. I saw one guy who said he would call multiple times in a day, and could never even reach a CSR. If I did go with a higher res monitor, I would also want a newer GPU, but I'm gonna wait for the next major increase before I make that jump.

So, I decided on the Acer XB270H.. It's a 1080p monitor, but that's still fine for me. It's a little bigger than my current monitor at 27", and includes all the bells and whistles I wanted.. G-Sync, 144hz, 1ms, 3D and ULMB.. Plus, got it on sale for 449.00, 454.00 w/ 3 day shipping.

I'm looking forward to some BF4 and CSGO on this shit. Arma 3 should benefit big too, that shit averages about 40-50 frames for me, so the G-Sync should help a lot.

Is ARMA III worth playing? Shit, if you're getting 40-50 FPS on an unlocked i5 I'll probably be lucky to get 30-40 on a locked i5 :lol

DJR210
03-30-2015, 01:18 AM
Is ARMA III worth playing? Shit, if you're getting 40-50 FPS on an unlocked i5 I'll probably be lucky to get 30-40 on a locked i5 :lol

When Arma 3 is functioning reasonably, there's no game better IMO. That game is a fucking blast with a squad of people cooperating and communicating. It's also got a shit load of mods so you can add in weapons, camo, and all kinds of other shit.

DJR210
04-02-2015, 12:29 AM
So the verdict is in..

G-Sync is the shit.. Dying Light has never been so fucking smooth.. The choppy hiccups and huge frame drops on a view of the city, or in heavily infested city squares are a thing of the past. The 1ms helps too, shit is so much clearer when running compared to my 7ms.

baseline bum
04-02-2015, 12:42 AM
So the verdict is in..

G-Sync is the shit.. Dying Light has never been so fucking smooth.. The choppy hiccups and huge frame drops on a view of the city, or in heavily infested city squares are a thing of the past. The 1ms helps too, shit is so much clearer when running compared to my 7ms.

Nice. So it's a night and day difference? What's the lowest sustained framerate with GSync that looks like 60 FPS to you?

DJR210
04-02-2015, 12:54 AM
Nice. So it's a night and day difference? What's the lowest sustained framerate with GSync that looks like 60 FPS to you?

It's really smooth.. When combined with a high refresh rate it's so clear when you move, especially in first person shooters. You can start to tell the frame rate is slowing down around 40-45 FPS. The monitor has 85, 100, 120, 144 refresh rates, you gotta pick the closest one to what your game runs at and it works it magic. The ultra low motion blur is nice too, but it kills the brightness of the screen too much IMO so pass for higher refresh instead.

baseline bum
04-02-2015, 01:09 AM
It's really smooth.. When combined with a high refresh rate it's so clear when you move, especially in first person shooters. You can start to tell the frame rate is slowing down around 40-45 FPS. The monitor has 85, 100, 120, 144 refresh rates, you gotta pick the closest one to what your game runs at and it works it magic. The ultra low motion blur is nice too, but it kills the brightness of the screen too much IMO so pass for higher refresh instead.

40-45 FPS is about what I'd expect to get in new games with my 970 at 1440p. Right on that borderline where I wonder if a 1440p GSync monitor makes any sense since I don't want to do SLI.

Cry Havoc
04-02-2015, 08:36 AM
40-45 FPS is about what I'd expect to get in new games with my 970 at 1440p. Right on that borderline where I wonder if a 1440p GSync monitor makes any sense since I don't want to do SLI.

:wow That's crazy. Even new GPUs can't handle the games coming out. This has to be a first for gaming.

baseline bum
04-02-2015, 10:25 AM
:wow That's crazy. Even new GPUs can't handle the games coming out. This has to be a first for gaming.

Not following. What's crazy about 40-45 FPS at 1440p?

Cry Havoc
04-02-2015, 10:33 AM
Not following. What's crazy about 40-45 FPS at 1440p?

I mean, I realize 1440p is pretty demanding, but it's scary to think that a new mid-high range GPU won't run games @ 60fps. 1440p is almost the standard now although 4k is probably going to eclipse it before it actually gets there.

Just wonder how much more powerful cards will have to become to accommodate gaming at 4k with 60fps.

baseline bum
04-02-2015, 10:37 AM
I mean, I realize 1440p is pretty demanding, but it's scary to think that a new mid-high range GPU won't run games @ 60fps. 1440p is almost the standard now although 4k is probably going to eclipse it before it actually gets there.

Just wonder how much more powerful cards will have to become to accommodate gaming at 4k with 60fps.

I meant the most demanding games at ultra when I said that, I should have clarified. Stuff like Dying Light, Crysis 3, Dragon Age Inquisition on ultra, which no card other than Titan X can give a locked 60FPS at in 1440p.

baseline bum
04-02-2015, 10:37 AM
But 4k ultra at a locked 60 FPS on a single card? Maybe with Pascal's Titan if they get their node shrink down finally.

Cry Havoc
04-02-2015, 10:43 AM
But 4k ultra at a locked 60 FPS on a single card? Maybe with Pascal's Titan if they get their node shrink down finally.

Well, it stands to reason that 4k gaming will be the standard at some point. Gaming has always been ahead of the tech curve. But 4k is pretty insane, I wonder what we'll see to make that happen.

Cry Havoc
04-02-2015, 10:44 AM
I meant the most demanding games at ultra when I said that, I should have clarified. Stuff like Dying Light, Crysis 3, Dragon Age Inquisition on ultra, which no card other than Titan X can give a locked 60FPS at in 1440p.

I thought the top Radeon card (7990, IIRC) was actually more powerful than the Titan?

Edit: http://elchapuzasinformatico.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/AMD-Radeon-HD-7990-vs-GTX-690-vs-Titan-1.png

baseline bum
04-02-2015, 10:51 AM
I thought the top Radeon card (7990, IIRC) was actually more powerful than the Titan?

Edit: http://elchapuzasinformatico.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/AMD-Radeon-HD-7990-vs-GTX-690-vs-Titan-1.png

The original Titan is a joke, it was a significantly cut down 780 Ti and my 970 is more powerful at 1/3 the price. The 7990 isnt a singe GPU card; it's dual 7970 on a single PCB. AMD's best single GPU right now is probably the MSI Lightning R9 290x and their flagship is the watercooled R9 295x2, with dual R9 290x on a single PCB.

baseline bum
04-02-2015, 10:52 AM

The original Titan is a joke, it was a significantly cut down 780 Ti and my 970 is more powerful at 1/3 the price. The 7990 isnt a singe GPU card; it's dual 7970 on a single PCB. AMD's best single GPU right now is probably the MSI Lightning R9 290x and their flagship is the watercooled R9 295x2, with dual R9 290x on a single PCB.

baseline bum
04-02-2015, 10:52 AM
Speaking of the R9 295x2, it's crazy cheap right now if you want a monster CF setup. I have seen it as low as $600.

Cry Havoc
04-02-2015, 10:57 AM
Speaking of the R9 295x2, it's crazy cheap right now if you want a monster CF setup. I have seen it as low as $600.

Haha. Tempting, but I'm actually saving up for when the Rift comes out. When it drops, I'm going to build a serious system around it with some oopmh. No point in upgrading now for me, cause I'm just going to want to build a system again in a year or less anywhere, whenever it comes out.

Leetonidas
04-02-2015, 11:06 AM
:cry you guys have hijacked this thread with your pc nerd talk :cry

baseline bum
04-02-2015, 11:23 AM
LOL 30 FPS

ElNono
04-02-2015, 12:52 PM

Pre-SLI days it was pretty common. There just been a big bump in resolution these days, but they'll catch up.

DJR210
04-02-2015, 01:31 PM
LOL 30 FPS

:lol

DJR210
04-02-2015, 01:33 PM
They just made a console G-Sync monitor.. it's designed to help games feel even more cinematic when framerates drop below 20 FPS

baseline bum
04-02-2015, 01:54 PM
Pre-SLI days it was pretty common. There just been a big bump in resolution these days, but they'll catch up.

Yeah, what were high end systems pulling in Crysis 1 maxed out at release date? 18 FPS or something?

Leetonidas
04-02-2015, 04:50 PM
LOL 30 FPS

dick :lol

baseline bum
05-02-2015, 12:06 AM
This shit's pretty cool

dGnCnFxkXDw

mojorizen7
05-05-2015, 06:47 AM
Finally got my hands on a PS4 last month. Dying Light is pretty damn cool. Especially early on when you don't know what the fuck you're doing and get caught out in the middle of nowhere when night time creeps up on you. I felt like Charlton Heston in Omega Man...without a gun.

DJR210
05-05-2015, 08:51 AM
Finally got my hands on a PS4 last month. Dying Light is pretty damn cool. Especially early on when you don't know what the fuck you're doing and get caught out in the middle of nowhere when night time creeps up on you. I felt like Charlton Heston in Omega Man...without a gun.

Yup, that first time it gets dark and you hear that fucking hunter scream to signal it's officially night time..they nailed it, I just wanted to get back to the tower :cry

baseline bum
05-05-2015, 12:02 PM
Yup, that first time it gets dark and you hear that fucking hunter scream to signal it's officially night time..they nailed it, I just wanted to get back to the tower :cry

Yeah, the fucking volatiles are brutal before you've gotten high level weapons and techniques.

Leetonidas
07-22-2015, 01:52 PM
Started playing this again now that there is a hard mode and I gotta say this game has replayability imo...I am still enjoying the main story through a second time and I have actually found a few side things I missed the first time. Also more QZs now and I'm sure there are other things I'm missing, I'm still only about level 8-9 in everything and only just escaped The Pit for the first time, about to head to Old Town. Hard mode has some annoyances with it besides an increased difficulty. My flashlight turns off a lot and the way medkits are used is different. Plus there's no "spidey-sense" or whatever you call it :lol

Joseph Kony
08-17-2015, 02:03 AM
Fuck yes

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08/14/dying-light-the-following-offers-cars-cults-and-crossbows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvOghAAZrKc

DJR210
08-17-2015, 03:06 AM
Fuck yes

Hell yeah :tu

The community is pretty much dead on PC, this will get people playing again