PDA

View Full Version : New Manu Article 1/30/15

ElNono
01-31-2015, 01:04 PM
We’re playing better and that’s going to help us in the Rodeo road trip
by Manu Ginobili

SAN ANTONIO.- I don’t think we’re playing that great yet, but the reality is that the schedule now gives us a break, we’re at home, against more accessible opponents. We played against Chicago and then we have two games that should be relatively less complex at home. December was terrible and it costs us. Plus, we were not healthy. In general we’re winning more now, but we’re not satisfied with our current performance and we understand we have a lot of room to improve. The reality is that we need to go back to feeling that we need to compete for 48 minutes, and not 20 or 30, depending on the opposition. It’s like we play hard for a little while and then we relax. At times it looks like we want things to come easy and not work hard for it like we always did.

We’re not a team that has a lot of extra juice to be walking the court some game. Be it against the top team or the last team we have to play well and do everything that’s necessary to win, otherwise, anybody can beat us. And this season, perhaps inadvertently, we’re taking certain extra liberties during the game and that’s why some games become complicated. I feel like whenever the challenge is bigger is easier for us to focus and play at a high level. And at times it looks like we need to be more responsible on that aspect. It’s true we’ve played well in the last few games, winning with certain clarity, but then we pulled our foot from the accelerator. Although we also had situations where we started the game badly and we had to work our way back. But due to all these things, we end up in some close games, and sometimes that’s not enough, anything can happen at the end of the game. We’re missing the consistency and intensity to play hard the whole game and not in spurts. We’re already 45 games in and we should be starting to feel good about playing well.

I think winning the ring last season does, unconsciously, relax us and we’re not playing with that wound we had, which looked like it was still bleeding. That could’ve been a factor, but at this point in time, we all want to fix our problem, because when we play well, we move the ball and we win, the day to day becomes more amenable, better… We need to understand that’s the road we need to follow. But I also think nobody is thinking that because we’re the champs we don’t need to be playing hard. I’m sure it’s something unconscious, something natural. Because we keep on training like before, we tell each other the same things during the games and we have the same motivation to win.

We know our game depends on us. I don’t know if there’s a new scouting report about how we play, the reality is that we’re not doing it all that well, but certainly better than December. Plus, the opponent matters. Some teams are not going through a good time, and then there’s other teams that are in the conversation but they get a chance to beat the champs and take it as an opportunity to turn their season around. Or feel better. That feeds them. There’s also teams that bet we’re going to have to make the extra pass and pack the paint. Another team want us to play two on two and leave a guy glued to Danny Green, Matt Bonner or Patty Mills and then we need to make some decisions, especially Tony and me. We are the guys that play more pick & roll. But honestly I don’t think our problem is the opponent making a good read on our game.

The Rodeo road trip is coming, that for us is always a very special moment, because we’re going to start taking the shape we’re going to have at the end of the regular season and possibly in the playoffs. We’re anxiously waiting to play at a high level during this tour. We’re also hoping to get back all our soldiers, because we’ve yet to play a game with our entire roster available (now we’re missing Marco Belinelli). But we’ve a lot of enthusiasm. We need everybody to help, because we don’t have a Durant or Lebron. It’s important for us that everyone feels valuable and give us a hand. And since we’ve not had the whole roster available for a while, we’re anxious and expectant. Because we know we’re slowly playing better and that help us face the Rodeo road trip, which is key for us.

We also know competition is more even than before. The West was always pretty even, but I think this season there’s at least 10 teams that can easily be in the playoffs, and it’s going to be tough to fight for positioning. The East is surprising, with 3 teams that nobody expected leading the conference, so it’s really a toss up there. And just like it’s been the last couple of seasons, they’re still a step below the West when it comes to parity or overall quality of teams. They have Atlanta that’s shocking the world, but the rest have a lot of up and downs. So it looks like two different leagues, at times.

Personally, in December, I had to play a different role that I normally play, out of pure necessity. Patty Mills was still hurt and Tony missed a lot of games, and my role was to be backup PG. I think the situation will get back to normal now. With Kawhi’s return, who has an expanded role on offense; with Tony, who’s still recovering, and with the whole team feeling whole again, we’ll be going back to normal on shot distribution, assists, minutes played… I’ve been playing more than usual. But I understand that if you look at the numbers from last season with this one, the stats are similar, that things haven’t changed much. And honestly I’m happy, considering the start of the season, the years accumulated, and so on… I’m happy: I still have an important role on a top team and I definitely feel good.

That’s why I’m not looking to score 27 points or if I reach some mark. I really don’t stop to think about that stuff. The fact that I play with Tim makes any accomplishment look like sloppy seconds anyways. He reaches 30,000 points, 147,000 rebounds, 150,000 whatever else… it’s crazy. He goes past incredibly legendary players, and he is one himself. He gets the spotlight and deservedly so. There’s a lot of players that accumulated numbers like mine; maybe it’s different for me because I’m from Argentina, and because I arrived late to the NBA, at 25 years old, but, sincerely, it’s irrelevant to me. What I enjoy is feeling good in the day to day, watch the team win, look for a good seed to be strong when the playoffs come around. I feel like I’m very fortunate to be playing at this level on such a great team. I understand they’re my last few seasons and I want to treasure every moment. Now I can certainly say I’m enjoying the moment more than in December.

Excuse any typos. Original article in spanish:
http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/1764614-manu-ginobili-mejoramos-el-nivel-y-eso-nos-ayudara-en-la-gira-del-rodeo-que-es-clave

RD2191
01-31-2015, 01:05 PM
Should OP be pinked for all of his manu threads? Tbh.

ElNono
01-31-2015, 01:08 PM
Should OP be pinked for all of his manu threads? Tbh.

this is how you treat the guy that took you under his wing, show you the ropes? son, I am disappoint...

Mel_13
01-31-2015, 01:12 PM
I understand they’re my last few seasons and I want to treasure every moment.

Are you working on the next contract for your client? Seems like he's planning to play beyond this season.

RD2191
01-31-2015, 01:16 PM
this is how you treat the guy that took you under his wing, show you the ropes? son, I am disappoint...
:lolYou know I'm just messing with you. when you gonna buy this place so you can give me mod powers? Tbh,

Phenomanul
01-31-2015, 01:17 PM
by Manu Ginobili

SAN ANTONIO.- I don’t think we’re playing that great yet, but the reality is that the schedule now gives us a break, we’re at home, against more accessible opponents. We played against Chicago and then we have two games that should be relatively less complex at home. December was terrible and it costs us. Plus, we were not healthy. In general we’re winning more now, but we’re not satisfied with our current performance and we understand we have a lot of room to improve. The reality is that we need to go back to feeling that we need to compete for 48 minutes, and not 20 or 30, depending on the opposition. It’s like we play hard for a little while and then we relax. At times it looks like we want things to come easy and not work hard for it like we always did.

We’re not a team that has a lot of extra juice to be walking the court some game. Be it against the top team or the last team we have to play well and do everything that’s necessary to win, otherwise, anybody can beat us. And this season, perhaps inadvertently, we’re taking certain extra liberties during the game and that’s why some games become complicated. I feel like whenever the challenge is bigger is easier for us to focus and play at a high level. And at times it looks like we need to be more responsible on that aspect. It’s true we’ve played well in the last few games, winning with certain clarity, but then we pulled our foot from the accelerator. Although we also had situations where we started the game badly and we had to work our way back. But due to all these things, we end up in some close games, and sometimes that’s not enough, anything can happen at the end of the game. We’re missing the consistency and intensity to play hard the whole game and not in spurts. We’re already 45 games in and we should be starting to feel good about playing well.

I think winning the ring last season does, unconsciously, relax us and we’re not playing with that wound we had, which looked like it was still bleeding. That could’ve been a factor, but at this point in time, we all want to fix our problem, because when we play well, we move the ball and we win, the day to day becomes more amenable, better… We need to understand that’s the road we need to follow. But I also think nobody is thinking that because we’re the champs we don’t need to be playing hard. I’m sure it’s something unconscious, something natural. Because we keep on training like before, we tell each other the same things during the games and we have the same motivation to win.

We know our game depends on us. I don’t know if there’s a new scouting report about how we play, the reality is that we’re not doing it all that well, but certainly better than December. Plus, the opponent matters. Some teams are not going through a good time, and then there’s other teams that are in the conversation but they get a chance to beat the champs and take it as an opportunity to turn their season around. Or feel better. That feeds them. There’s also teams that bet we’re going to have to make the extra pass and pack the paint. Another team want us to play two on two and leave a guy glued to Danny Green, Matt Bonner or Patty Mills and then we need to make some decisions, especially Tony and me. We are the guys that play more pick & roll. But honestly I don’t think our problem is the opponent making a good read on our game.

The Rodeo road trip is coming, that for us is always a very special moment, because we’re going to start taking the shape we’re going to have at the end of the regular season and possibly in the playoffs. We’re anxiously waiting to play at a high level during this tour. We’re also hoping to get back all our soldiers, because we’ve yet to play a game with our entire roster available (now we’re missing Marco Belinelli). But we’ve a lot of enthusiasm. We need everybody to help, because we don’t have a Durant or Lebron. It’s important for us that everyone feels valuable and give us a hand. And since we’ve not had the whole roster available for a while, we’re anxious and expectant. Because we know we’re slowly playing better and that help us face the Rodeo road trip, which is key for us.

We also know competition is more even than before. The West was always pretty even, but I think this season there’s at least 10 teams that can easily be in the playoffs, and it’s going to be tough to fight for positioning. The East is surprising, with 3 teams that nobody expected leading the conference, so it’s really a toss up there. And just like it’s been the last couple of seasons, they’re still a step below the West when it comes to parity or overall quality of teams. They have Atlanta that’s shocking the world, but the rest have a lot of up and downs. So it looks like two different leagues, at times.

Personally, in December, I had to play a different role that I normally play, out of pure necessity. Patty Mills was still hurt and Tony missed a lot of games, and my role was to be backup PG. I think the situation will get back to normal now. With Kawhi’s return, who has an expanded role on offense; with Tony, who’s still recovering, and with the whole team feeling whole again, we’ll be going back to normal on shot distribution, assists, minutes played… I’ve been playing more than usual. But I understand that if you look at the numbers from last season with this one, the stats are similar, that things haven’t changed much. And honestly I’m happy, considering the start of the season, the years accumulated, and so on… I’m happy: I still have an important role on a top team and I definitely feel good.

That’s why I’m not looking to score 27 points or if I reach some mark. I really don’t stop to think about that stuff. The fact that I play with Tim makes any accomplishment look like sloppy seconds anyways. He reaches 30,000 points, 147,000 rebounds, 150,000 whatever else… it’s crazy. He goes past incredibly legendary players, and he is one himself. He gets the spotlight and deservedly so. There’s a lot of players that accumulated numbers like mine; maybe it’s different for me because I’m from Argentina, and because I arrived late to the NBA, at 25 years old, but, sincerely, it’s irrelevant to me. What I enjoy is feeling good in the day to day, watch the team win, look for a good seed to be strong when the playoffs come around. I feel like I’m very fortunate to be playing at this level on such a great team. I understand they’re my last few seasons and I want to treasure every moment. Now I can certainly say I’m enjoying the moment more than in December.

http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/1764614-manu-ginobili-mejoramos-el-nivel-y-eso-nos-ayudara-en-la-gira-del-rodeo-que-es-clave

Thanks ElNono... Always enlightening to read Manu's candor about the Spurs' state of the union...
:tu :bobo

Phenomanul
01-31-2015, 01:18 PM
Are you working on the next contract for your client? Seems like he's planning to play beyond this season.

Same thing I saw... depends on how this post-season goes... still a long way to go.

Mikeanaro
01-31-2015, 01:22 PM
Manu Shinobi!

EVAY
01-31-2015, 01:25 PM
Thanks as always for the translation, E-N.

Sounds like Manu was sort of in a Faulknerian stream-of-consciousness mode in the article.

Most interesting thing to me was his comment about last "few seasons". I would have (and have indeed) predicted that this was his last season. Interesting choice of words.

ElNono
01-31-2015, 01:26 PM

I hope so. He makes the drive to philly worthwhile.

ElNono
01-31-2015, 01:30 PM
:lolYou know I'm just messing with you. when you gonna buy this place so you can give me mod powers? Tbh,

tbh, I have other things higher in the priority list right now: a PS4, car oil change, 2 dozen tamales from Delia's. We'll see after that. :lol

Mel_13
I hope so. He makes the drive to philly worthwhile.

Indeed.

ElNono
You're all welcome. Excuse any typos. :toast

Beaverfuzz
01-31-2015, 01:38 PM

If he plans on contributing next season, he's going to have to lose a few pounds to get a little bit quicker. His mind is still there for basketball but sometimes his body just isn't quick enough to follow along.

Mel_13
01-31-2015, 01:41 PM
If he plans on contributing next season, he's going to have to lose a few pounds to get a little bit quicker. His mind is still there for basketball but sometimes his body just isn't quick enough to follow along.

He'll have to continue to make adjustments for his age, but I don't think Manu can afford to get any lighter than he is already. In a recent interview he talked about trying to gain back weight he lost playing all those high leverage minutes in December.

Spursfanfromafar
01-31-2015, 02:01 PM
Thanks, Nono.

And its nice to see Manu hinting that he will play beyond this season. He will be an enormous weapon for the Spurs just for his enthusiasm, competitiveness and leadership. Here's hoping Timmy comes back next year too.. and hopefully following a repeat this season. Atleast one more year with Tim and Manu will clearly extend the Spurs' window for that much.

elemento
01-31-2015, 02:22 PM
Nice Nono :toast

I was reading the comments and I simply couldn't believe that there are actually Manu haters in Argentina WTF. Those morons calling Manu "pechofrio", "Frionobili", "bahiense traidor". Man, that's sad.

Ingratos de mierda !

Chinook
01-31-2015, 02:27 PM
If Manu plays beyond this season and doesn't take a huge pay cut to do it, the team should make a trade. They won't have the cap space to do anything significant, even if Tim retires.

Malik Hairston
01-31-2015, 02:33 PM
He echoed what a lot of us have been saying, the team hasn't played with consistent energy all year, and other than injuries, it has been the biggest problem with the Spurs..

Of course you could argue that injuries are the reason for the lack of energy, though..

Still encouraging that they will probably finish with a top 4 seed, despite the abundance of injuries, historically tough schedule(in December) and the coasting..

Spur|n|Austin
01-31-2015, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the translation dude :tu

RD2191
01-31-2015, 03:20 PM
tbh, I have other things higher in the priority list right now: a PS4, car oil change, 2 dozen tamales from Delia's. We'll see after that. :lol
Shit, now I'm craving some chicken and cheese tamales from Delia's.:lol

SpurPadre
01-31-2015, 03:32 PM

I was reading the comments and I simply couldn't believe that there are actually Manu haters in Argentina WTF. Those morons calling Manu "pechofrio", "Frionobili", "bahiense traidor". Man, that's sad.

Ingratos de mierda !

Wow, I just noticed that, too. That's fucked up. The man can stand next to Maradona. It's one thing for there to be Messi haters there but to hate on Maradona and Manu there is sacrilege.

BillMc
01-31-2015, 03:37 PM
by Manu Ginobili

Many thanks for posting/translating. :toastAlways like Manu's articles. He's so honest and gives us a real understanding of the team. I'm thrilled that he said these are his last few seasons (plural!!) which hopefully means he'll be back next year and maybe even beyond. That second unit is so good, but Manu, as we all know, is the straw that stirs the drink. I want him around as long as he wants to be.

spurs10
01-31-2015, 04:00 PM
I hope so. He makes the drive to philly worthwhile. Thanks for posting this great read! Will be driving to SA in the fog for the game tonight! A delight to read this before the trip...

ElNono
01-31-2015, 04:03 PM
About the comments section, there's trolling everywhere, tbh :lol

Robz4000
01-31-2015, 05:17 PM
Would be nice if Manu decided to stick around a few more seasons, even if Tim retires after this. It'd make the transition to the post-Duncan era easier.

silverblackfan
01-31-2015, 05:28 PM
As always, great translation ElNono. Thanks for the work. Manu always gives the honest goods. Honestly, of the big 3, Tim gives the least amount of information on the team. Easy to understand since Tim talks a lot less to the media. Tony and Manu always just say what is on their mind. Refreshing and encouraging to hear how the team understands the current status.
Hopefully the team can get some wins and build on that constant pressure throughout the game. At least they are aware that they are inconsistent with energy.

EVAY
01-31-2015, 05:41 PM
Thanks for posting this great read! Will be driving to SA in the fog for the game tonight! A delight to read this before the trip...

Be careful, man!!

pgardn
01-31-2015, 06:11 PM
Manu is by far the best, most honest interview on our team, especially about team matters.

I always enjoy Nono articles with Manu.
If anyone can get this much out of KL please put it up.

And I am hoping that plural, season(s), near the end of the article, refers to the future.

Uriel
01-31-2015, 07:26 PM
And this season, perhaps inadvertently, we’re taking certain extra liberties during the game and that’s why some games become complicated. I feel like whenever the challenge is bigger is easier for us to focus and play at a high level.
Manu just flat-out admitted that the team was coasting. :lol

Uriel
01-31-2015, 07:33 PM

Ingratos de mierda !
En Ingles, por favor. Gracias.

BackHome
01-31-2015, 08:22 PM
I do think what he says about last year having the bleeding wound from loosing against the Heat did help a lot last season. After winning a championship we all new it was going to be hard to do it again as some of the fire leaves the belly.

TMTTRIO
01-31-2015, 08:57 PM
Weird especially since he has hinted in other things I've read he has hinted it's his last. If we can repeat I wonder if he'd still be interested in playing. What more can he play for? I can only imagine Many wanting him to retire. I guess we'll have to wait and see. By the way somewhere I read he has also hinted playing with his NT again.