PDA

View Full Version : Amber alert on Tiago Splitter's game/balls

ElNono
01-31-2015, 11:44 PM
Just got the message on my cell, tbh... anybody seen it? This dude can't play a pick and roll anymore, fumbles the ball like crazy, his defense has been terrible, and can't rebound for shit now...

It's no surprise out interior defense has taking a nosedive since Timmy got worn out after December... even Baynes has looked like a more competent defender at times...

loveforthegame
01-31-2015, 11:45 PM
He's been trash. Very concerning.

dabom
Not sure if derail thread but he has looked like shit.

Hemotivo
DEFCON 1 ?

timtonymanu
Yep, that mysterious calf/back injury must have really been something because he looks awful this season. Enrique's struggles will get all the attention, but Splitter this year is really concerning.

Darius Bieber
01-31-2015, 11:46 PM
Should be an Amber Alert out for this team's heart. It's no where to be found. Probably off to Mexico already or some shit.

Trill Clinton
01-31-2015, 11:46 PM
Should be an Amber Alert out for this team's heart. It's no where to be found. Probably off to Mexico already or some shit.

01-31-2015, 11:47 PM
DEFCON 1 ?gotta wait and see how we do on the RRT

ElNono
01-31-2015, 11:48 PM
Yep, that mysterious calf/back injury must have really been something because he looks awful this season. Enrique's struggles will get all the attention, but Splitter this year is really concerning.

Yup, he played a major role the past two seasons for us. It doesn't even look like he's tired, he just gets outworked like in every play.

TheGreatYacht
01-31-2015, 11:51 PM
Did we already forget how horrible we looked without him? :lol

Malik Hairston
01-31-2015, 11:52 PM
Duncan is an inconsistent overall defender, he has been pretty terrible for the past month, so Splitter's mysterious declining is definitely taking a huge toll on the team..the Spurs rely heavily on 3 defensive players, and if 1 of the 3 is struggling, we get what we saw tonight..the team has too many poor defensive players to negate that, tbh..

They survived and even had the 2nd ranked D in the NBA without Splitter earlier in the year, as Green and Kawhi were performing at an elite defensive level, statistically, and they were also aided by Duncan having a DPOY-level impact prior to the wear and tear(which is obviously not permanent, since Duncan is still fresh at that point of the season)..

This team can survive if 1 of Parker or Ginobili is struggling(as we saw in 2013 with a struggling Ginobili, and 2014 with a struggling Parker), and even when Duncan is struggling(as we saw in the Warriors series and in some of the Heat games), but they can't go far if 1 of Splitter/Green/Leonard isn't playing their defensive role at a high level, tbh..

Arc
01-31-2015, 11:52 PM
tiago and manu pnr was deadly. this year, dunno what's wrong with splitter but he sucks, and manu tends to hurt us more than help it seems. he needs to retire after this season.

Uriel
02-01-2015, 05:53 AM
He's played two straight seasons of nonstop basketball, from the NBA Finals in June in 2013, to FIBA in the summer, to the NBA Finals in 2014, and FIBA again in the summer. He's gassed.

spursparker9
02-01-2015, 06:59 AM
He's played two straight seasons of nonstop basketball, from the NBA Finals in June in 2013, to FIBA in the summer, to the NBA Finals in 2014, and FIBA again in the summer. He's gassed.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpyRPu1Ig_F_FPpTfci3R868IVQHpS4 DQe-b4zndZtkYT_BCAR

EVAY
02-01-2015, 09:41 AM
Folks here focus on Tiago's lack of defensive help since his calf injury, but I think the team is also missing his offensive help. Someone pointed out that he is no longer as good on the pick and roll as he once was, and what I have noticed is that he is no longer "blocking out" for our guys getting to the rim. And that is fairly significant for our offense, I think.

On one play last night, TP had a clear path to the basket because Paul had looked elsewhere and there was no defender under the basket. Parker took off and moved very well into position for a layup, but Jordan swatted it back to the tenth row. Part of the reason that block happened (and more of them are happening this year than ever before) is that our bigs are not blocking out the defender from getting to the cutting or driving guard. It is not always Tiago. I'm not even sure he was on the court on that play.

My point though is that our guards' shots at the rim from a cut or a drive is dependent on the other team's shot blocker getting screened out of the play. Since Tim hardly ever plays at the rim anymore on offense, that role has to go to whoever is the other 'big' for us on the court. They aren't doing it an the result is obvious and horrid.

elemento
02-01-2015, 09:53 AM
Folks here focus on Tiago's lack of defensive help since his calf injury, but I think the team is also missing his offensive help. Someone pointed out that he is no longer as good on the pick and roll as he once was, and what I have noticed is that he is no longer "blocking out" for our guys getting to the rim. And that is fairly significant for our offense, I think.

On one play last night, TP had a clear path to the basket because Paul had looked elsewhere and there was no defender under the basket. Parker took off and moved very well into position for a layup, but Jordan swatted it back to the tenth row. Part of the reason that block happened (and more of them are happening this year than ever before) is that our bigs are not blocking out the defender from getting to the cutting or driving guard. It is not always Tiago. I'm not even sure he was on the court on that play.

My point though is that our guards' shots at the rim from a cut or a drive is dependent on the other team's shot blocker getting screened out of the play. Since Tim hardly ever plays at the rim anymore on offense, that role has to go to whoever is the other 'big' for us on the court. They aren't doing it an the result is obvious and horrid.

It was Timmy. Splitter wasn't on the lineup. It was Timmy/Boris at the time.

But to be fair with Timmy, Parker should have passed the ball . Timmy was alone under the basket after Jordan left him to block the shot. It would have been an easy dunk.

EVAY
02-01-2015, 10:00 AM
It was Timmy. Splitter wasn't on the lineup. It was Timmy/Boris at the time.

But to be fair with Timmy, Parker should have passed the ball . Timmy was alone under the basket after Jordan left him to block the shot. It would have been an easy dunk.

I didn't think that Splitter was on the court, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for clarifying that.

To be fair with both Timmy AND Parker, if Tim had blocked out Jordan, THEN he would have been open to catch the ball. Tony had already left his feet and was in the air in the shooting motion when Jordan left Timmy. That is how fast Jordan is. Had Timmy blocked him out, THEN Timmy would have been open to catch a pass. When Tony left his feet Jordan was between him and Tony, and a pass would have led to an inevitable turnover.

elemento
02-01-2015, 10:39 AM
I didn't think that Splitter was on the court, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for clarifying that.

To be fair with both Timmy AND Parker, if Tim had blocked out Jordan, THEN he would have been open to catch the ball. Tony had already left his feet and was in the air in the shooting motion when Jordan left Timmy. That is how fast Jordan is. Had Timmy blocked him out, THEN Timmy would have been open to catch a pass. When Tony left his feet Jordan was between him and Tony, and a pass would have led to an inevitable turnover.

I watched it again to see if my memory wasn't right but I will have to disagree with you.

It's in the HLs of the game.

http://www.nba.com/games/20150131/LACSAS/gameinfo.html?ls=slt

Watch carefully between the 3-4 second mark.

At the 4s mark, Deandre Jordan has already left Timmy and Parker still has time to take 2 steps before taking the shot. Jordan left Timmy way before Parker's shot and a pass to Timmy would have been the best possible play. Timmy was actually expecting the pass.

You can also see that when Tony starts the play, Timmy wasn't even in the position to block Jordan. Jordan is far from him totally in the right side of the rim, while Timmy is in the left side. Then Jordan decides to make an approach but he leaves Timmy right after Parker beats CP3.

I am not a Parker hater or anything, but that block was Parker's own fault. He should have passed it.

MultiTroll
02-01-2015, 10:44 AM
^^ It's true Parker has plenty of time to make the pass to Duncan for the easy layup.
Terrible non pass by a point guard.

Beaverfuzz
02-01-2015, 11:08 AM
I believe he's even been put on milk cartons up here in Oregon.

SOMEONE FIND TIAGO'S DEFENSE!

unleashbaynes
02-01-2015, 11:16 AM
i'm pretty worried about this actually. splitter looks like a huge fuckin stiff this year....

EVAY
02-01-2015, 11:45 AM
I watched it again to see if my memory wasn't right but I will have to disagree with you.

It's in the HLs of the game.

http://www.nba.com/games/20150131/LACSAS/gameinfo.html?ls=slt

Watch carefully between the 3-4 second mark.

At the 4s mark, Deandre Jordan has already left Timmy and Parker still has time to take 2 steps before taking the shot. Jordan left Timmy way before Parker's shot and a pass to Timmy would have been the best possible play. Timmy was actually expecting the pass.

You can also see that when Tony starts the play, Timmy wasn't even in the position to block Jordan. Jordan is far from him totally in the right side of the rim, while Timmy is in the left side. Then Jordan decides to make an approach but he leaves Timmy right after Parker beats CP3.

I am not a Parker hater or anything, but that block was Parker's own fault. He should have passed it.

I accept your assessment.

There is no doubt in my mind that Parker misses some easy decisions at times. And I feel no obligation to deprive him of total responsibility for that.

My larger point, however, was that our bigs are so often out of position this season for a role they have traditionally played in our offensive set. I am sorry that an example that I chose was a poor choice to make that point. The point, however, I think, remains valid. Doesn't excuse Parker for making bad decisions, but also acknowledges that the front line has a role to play in guard offense.

Chomag
02-01-2015, 12:14 PM
He is 1 small scratch from a career injury.

TheGoldStandard
02-01-2015, 12:15 PM
He was training with Jeff Ayres in the off season..

Chomag
02-01-2015, 12:17 PM
yes, this!!!

Mugen
02-01-2015, 12:23 PM
my nigga Tiago will be ready when it counts. If other losers on the team are getting passes right now then he gets one too for shutting down Dirk/Aldridge/Bosh on the way to 5 tbh.....

elemento
02-01-2015, 12:58 PM
I accept your assessment.

There is no doubt in my mind that Parker misses some easy decisions at times. And I feel no obligation to deprive him of total responsibility for that.

My larger point, however, was that our bigs are so often out of position this season for a role they have traditionally played in our offensive set. I am sorry that an example that I chose was a poor choice to make that point. The point, however, I think, remains valid. Doesn't excuse Parker for making bad decisions, but also acknowledges that the front line has a role to play in guard offense.

I don't disagree with you on that. In the case of Splitter it's even more glaring because he is the type of player that helps the team doing this "little things" that stats don't tell you but he has not been doing it lately.

He has been poor this season no doubt about it and team is noticing it.

mkurts
02-02-2015, 03:50 AM
Splitter has retracted back into his old pussy again.

And Parker just .... can't do anything properly anymore

DJR210
02-02-2015, 04:04 AM
R.I.P Splitter
R.I.P Manu
R.I.P Parker
R.I.P Bonner
R.I.P Ayers
R.I.P Spurs

Old School 44
02-02-2015, 12:27 PM
Not worried. As soon as Marco comes back everything will be fine!

ElNono
02-02-2015, 03:05 PM
Not worried. As soon as Marco comes back everything will be fine!

god bless you son

Mr Bones
02-03-2015, 01:11 AM
Duncan is an inconsistent overall defender

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/6

It's funny how you jump on and off the advanced stats bandwagon.

Malik Hairston
02-03-2015, 02:45 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/6

It's funny how you jump on and off the advanced stats bandwagon.

1. I don't care about RPM

2. Duncan is elite in RAPM defensively, too, but his number has went down significantly over the past month

3. I've acknowledged that Duncan was playing DPOY-level D at the beginning of the season, but his D fell off a cliff in January

4. Elite early in the season + poor in January = inconsistent

Lerojo
02-03-2015, 04:58 AM
Tiago looks as though he hasn't fully got over that mystery chronic calf injury. He can barely run, and looks like he can't shift his mass around as agile as he was last season.

timtonymanu
02-20-2015, 12:47 AM
Still looks like crap.

The Spurs are fucked if this guy doesn't get off his vagina mode.