PDA

View Full Version : 1 WCF and 2 finals later, this is honestly the least appreciative fan base ever

hitmantb
02-01-2015, 12:02 PM
At end of the day this is a small market team that in term of raw talents, is not in the top 5 of the league. Parker/Ginobili are good solid players but Duncan honestly had the weakest supporting cast of anyone who won 3 or more championships. Teams that repeat, usually dominate the league in raw talent. Shaq/Kobe Lakers, Miami big three etc. You need raw talent to increase your margin of error, you need raw talent to make up the wear and tear your team sustains from deep playoff runs.

Kwahi's first three seasons were probably the most stressful first three seasons of any player in NBA history. WCF and 2 finals and he had to toe-to-toe the best players in the league period between LeBron and Durant. Throw in his intense 2-way playing style, his body may not be able to keep up at this rate. This kid has been in the league for three years and most rookies are stat padding on bad teams, not playing LeBron evenly 3 straight games in NBA finals. GDP are all past their primes, we take Duncan/Ginobili for granted, but all three have nowhere to go but down, at some point this core will not be good enough.

Most importantly, after a devastating 2013 finals, this team rallied around each other and burned all of their passion and energy for a glorious 2014 finish. They are humans, not robots, there is no way they can keep the same intensity this year, not after 3 deep playoff runs and finally winning Duncan's fifth. You can not fake motivation. Complacency will always happen once you reach the top. Someone like Duncan may be immune to it, the entire team? No way.

Remember: Spurs have never got a top 10 or even top 20 player via free agency or trade, and I have watched them since David Robinson days. The post-Duncan era is going to be ugly. Enjoy what you have for what may be the last time, and cheer our guys for what they can do. For those of you crying about trading Parker, are you out of your mind? There are players you will not trade unless they request it. And Parker has certainly EARNED that status 4 championships later as a member of the big three. He will finish his career in San Antonio if that is what he wants and his contract will always include appreciation money, but that is the way it is for Dwayne Wade, Kobe Bryant, and any star player who gave their entire career to a franchise.

apalisoc_9
02-01-2015, 12:04 PM
:cry

TheGoldStandard
02-01-2015, 12:07 PM
At end of the day this is a small market team that in term of raw talents, is not in the top 5 of the league. Parker/Ginobili are good solid players but Duncan honestly has the weakest supporting cast of anyone who won 3 or more championships.

Teams that repeat, usually dominate the league in raw talent. Shaq/Kobe Lakers, Miami big three etc. You need raw talent to increase your margin of error, you need raw talent to make up the wear and tear your team sustains from deep playoff runs.

Kwahi's first three seasons were probably the most stressful first three seasons of any player in NBA history. WCF and 2 finals and he had to toe-to-toe the best players in the league period between LeBron and Durant. Throw in his intense 2-way playing style, his body may or may not be able to keep up at this rate. GDP are all past their primes, we take Duncan/Ginobili for granted, but all three have nowhere to go but down, at some point this core will not be good enough.

Most importantly, after a devastating 2013 finals, this team rallied around each other and burned all of their passion and energy for a glorious 2014 finish. They are humans, not robots, there is no way they can keep the same intensity this year, not after 3 deep playoff runs and finally winning Duncan's fifth. You can not fake motivation.

Spurs have never got a top 10 or even top 20 player via free agency, and I have watched them since David Robinson days. The post-Duncan era is going to be ugly. Enjoy what you have for what may be the last time, and cheer our guys for what they can do.

Duncan and Manu had a chance to walk away as champs, they know they're body and the desire that they possess and I don't think they would stick around longer than there ability would allow. Parker has been on a decline for the past 2 seasons, he'll have flashes of brilliance but then breaks down due to injury and fatigue. The problem is the group around them, they don't add anything to the pool consistently this season and the only guy who is giving max effort is a guy who doesn't touch the ball on every possession down the court.

You don't have to slip into mediocrity once your stars go away.. The system works, coach Bud is showing this will some good players and a lot of guys who have tons of hustle and hunger. There has to be a plan in place for when the wheels fall off and they need to get around to implementing that sooner rather than later.

vander
02-01-2015, 12:11 PM
everything will be fine we're going to get LMA and M Gasol

DesignatedT
02-01-2015, 12:18 PM
The group of fans on this website is not an accurate representation of the Spurs fan base. I'm not sure there are more then 10 actual Spurs fans posting in this forum tbqh.

capek
02-01-2015, 12:34 PM
The group of fans on this website is not an accurate representation of the Spurs fan base. I'm not sure there are more then 10 actual Spurs fans posting in this forum tbqh.

As Kawhi would say, indubitably.

Chomag
02-01-2015, 12:37 PM
Being a homer does not equal being a good fan. I do agree that some are just trolling and take it to far. However this team haas been so great for so long the expectations are much higher then other franchises. Most of it is to blow off some steam and maybe try to have a little fun with it.

If my son comes home with a low grade when I know he is much better then that you bet your ass I would be disappointed in him but I still love him to death. I have been spurs fan since the 90's so I know what its like to not be able to see this team go anywhere but I loved them then just as I do today.

Im sorry but these "im a better fan then you are" threads allways tend to rub me the wrong way. We are all different and we all react and handle things differently, I dont think one way is better then the other.

spurs10
02-01-2015, 12:47 PM
I watch every game and attend as many as possible knowing how lucky we've been. It will be a tough transition and hard to see this team without Tim and the Manu. I hope that games like last night will motivate them. I know none of them is content with their performance. People yelling trade Parker are idiots if they believe there is a chance in hell of that happening. The reason why the Spurs have achieved the unbelievable success they have is because of loyality. The are all in it together. Go Spurs Go! Nice thread man!

Malik Hairston
02-01-2015, 01:05 PM
Disagree with the OP, tbh..

Duncan is extremely appreciated here..outside of a few haters, Duncan never receives any blame on ST, even when he should, tbh..he's one of the 5 greatest players in the history of the league IMO, and Spurs fans recognize this, of course..even the Manu and Parker fanboys are appreciative of Duncan..

Manu was beloved until the infamous 2013 Finals, a lot of fans turned their backs on him(not by me, I never turned on him), which was obviously unfair, but he recovered a lot of credibility with his great 2014 playoff run..

Parker is the only Spurs "legend" that may be underappreciated, but is he really? Outside of the short 2009 playoff stint, the 2012 playoff run and the first 3 rounds of the 2013 playoff run, he has been a constant playoff underachiever..he also had an affair with the wife of a teammate, and we can't forget about his jealousy of Danny Green in the 2013 Finals..

He merits appreciation, but should be immune from criticism? Absolutely not, he hasn't earned a pass IMO..

Personally, I love Tony Parker, I'm one of his biggest fans on SpursTalk, but I understand why he's so polarizing..

dbreiden83080
02-01-2015, 01:12 PM
Some people are whiny about not being able to repeat because they let too many idiots out there bother them with that.. The 5th title was an unexpected gift to Spurs fans everywhere and after 2013 nobody saw it coming.. I look at this season as likely Tim Duncan's last and the swan song for an amazing ride as a fan.. I didn't come into the year thinking we were a lock for the title because of the teams age and getting to the finals 3 years in a row is hell..

Budkin
02-01-2015, 02:21 PM
Because we're not allowed to be upset when they are playing like dogshit.

heyheymymy
02-01-2015, 02:28 PM
Parker is the only Spurs "legend" that may be underappreciated, but is he really? Outside of the short 2009 playoff stint, the 2012 playoff run and the first 3 rounds of the 2013 playoff run, he has been a constant playoff underachiever.

I get what you're saying, but 2007 playoffs he was pretty good too. He wasted the Jazz in the WCF.

SnakeBoy
02-01-2015, 02:43 PM
The post-Duncan era is going to be ugly.

Gonna be funny as hell on Spurstalk tbh.

timtonymanu
02-01-2015, 02:54 PM
Im sorry but these "im a better fan then you are" threads allways tend to rub me the wrong way. We are all different and we all react and handle things differently, I dont think one way is better then the other.

Agreed. You can pretty much bump any other thread like this and the material is the same. For the most part, the basketball discussion on here is good (if some old-school posters/posters that call themselves "true fans" would get over themselves).

buttsR4rebounding
02-01-2015, 02:55 PM
Quite frankly, the title doesn't match the post. But as far as what makes a fan, I've had season tickets in the ATT Center, Alamodome (although I had to give them up for a while because that was such a terrible place to watch a BB game) and in the Hemisphere Arena. I delivered Gervin's newspaper as a kid and cut Rich Jones grass. (Jerry Grote's too for you old Mets fans.) The first place I ever drove when I got my driver's license (1975) was a Spurs game. $10 got you 2 upper level seats, parking, popcorn and a coke for 2. So dude, if you want to play mine-is-bigger-than-yours then prepare for some heavy lifting because being a Spurs' fan has a hell of a lot more to it than what someone posts on a freaking website and to insinuate so just indicates how clueless you are.

Mikeanaro
02-01-2015, 02:57 PM
Why? because I dont kiss Parkerīs ass? he sucks plain and simple.

Mikeanaro
02-01-2015, 03:11 PM
By the way weakest supporting cast my ass you dont win 5 rings being surrounded by a great cloud of idiots, refs love bigger markets thats why Sacramento 2002 happened Kobe/Shaq were humans too.

SupremeGuy
02-01-2015, 03:21 PM
:cry you're not appreciative if you call a player out for playing like shit :cry

Kool Bob Love
02-01-2015, 03:31 PM

If you never been to San Antonio you're bandwagon. Srs.

dabom
02-01-2015, 06:44 PM

:lol

dabom
02-01-2015, 06:45 PM

I live in SA and I don't think so.

Sean Cagney
02-01-2015, 07:23 PM

I say this all the time and this is the GOD to honest truth. Everyone is different, I hate when someone says fair weather or bandwagon fan when some bitch after a loss and handle it different, like we all are going to react the same damn way after this or that. People are different and this is the truth what you said. Nobody is a so called better fan or more loyal because they say we will be FINE and blah blah blah. If you criticize the team God forbid, you are not a real fan or need to go root for another team.

TXstbobcat
02-01-2015, 07:36 PM
Win or lose this year, after five titles, Spurs fans really shouldn't have anything to complain about. I work with a bunch of timberwolves fans who would all give anything just to make the finals once.

Spurs 4 The Win
02-01-2015, 07:42 PM
I think it should read "3 WCF and 2 Finals later"

Godbama
02-01-2015, 08:25 PM
Sorry we're not adjusted to failure? lol
It's like, what do you want, us to have the standards of Raptors fans or something?

spurs10
02-01-2015, 09:02 PM
Win or lose this year, after five titles, Spurs fans really shouldn't have anything to complain about. I work with a bunch of timberwolves fans who would all give anything just to make the finals once. Perspective.

dabom
02-01-2015, 09:03 PM
Sorry we're not adjusted to failure? lol
It's like, what do you want, us to have the standards of Raptors fans or something?

Cry Havoc
02-01-2015, 09:11 PM
:madrun:madrun:madrun Why is our 38 year old workhorse with 1300 games on his legs not putting up 55 and 27 on 86% shooting with 12 blocks per night???? :madrun:madrun:madrun

Fucking hilariously shit-level take from Malik. Used to be one of the best posters on the site, now he can't decide if he wants to make legitimate posts or just troll Spurstalk.

rogues
02-01-2015, 09:12 PM
Fucking hilariously shit-level take from Malik. Used to be one of the best posters on the site, now he can't decide if he wants to make legitimate posts or just troll Spurstalk.
Go back to reddit libtard..

Cry Havoc
02-01-2015, 09:13 PM
Go back to reddit libtard..

You might want to logon to your main account before posting upstairs. :lol

rogues
02-01-2015, 09:14 PM
You might want to logon to your main account. :lol
This is my account:lol..

apalisoc_9
02-01-2015, 09:16 PM
:cry you're not appreciative if you call a player out for playing like shit :cry

Cry Havoc
02-01-2015, 09:16 PM
This is my account:lol..

:lol

apalisoc_9
02-01-2015, 09:17 PM
Stop disrespecting timmy

Budkin
02-01-2015, 09:18 PM
Gonna be funny as hell on Spurstalk tbh.

This site will be gone by then.

romain.star
02-02-2015, 09:14 AM
:cry you're not appreciative if you insult a player for playing like shit :cry

Fixed

romain.star
02-02-2015, 09:17 AM

What if you've never been to SA but regularly wake up in the middle of the night to watch the Spurs play?

TheGreatYacht
02-02-2015, 09:55 AM
There's nothing wrong in pointing out Kawhi's similarities with Marion... It's actually a compliment.

lefty
02-02-2015, 10:19 AM

100%duncan
02-02-2015, 10:25 AM
didn't read

Kool Bob Love
02-02-2015, 10:50 AM
What if you've never been to SA but regularly wake up in the middle of the night to watch the Spurs play?

Well damn, congrats on being a offical Spurs fan brah. :tu

horsielove
02-02-2015, 10:58 AM
Its Championship or a bust. Get your betta-ass out of here. I have no time for mediocrity.

Chinook
02-02-2015, 11:42 AM

Didn't know George Hill posted here.

Beaverfuzz
02-02-2015, 02:49 PM
OPA!

murpjf88
02-02-2015, 02:54 PM
This forum has gone to the dogs. There really needs to be a private function to shelter the outside world from the ridiculousness that takes place here on a daily basis. It's no wonder all the quality posters left this forum long ago.

Plum Island
02-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Its Championship or a bust. Get your betta-ass out of here. I have no time for mediocrity.
And yet you hang here...

cjw
02-02-2015, 04:41 PM
Kwahi's first three seasons were probably the most stressful first three seasons of any player in NBA history.

Magic Johnson would like to have a word with you.

And on not attracting a top 10-20 player, it's hard to do when you're operating so close to the cap. Kidd was an option in 2003. Rodman didn't work out so well. Finley was a couple of years removed from being a 20 ppg guy and was an amnesty casualty. When operating near the cap, you have to trade serious assets to bring in talent (first rounder for friggen Kurt Thomas) so they've had to do most things organically.

And how have the teams done who have cleared out their books for "stars"? Worked out well for the Knicks and Nets. Pistons already moved on from Smith. List goes on. Teams like Charlotte (Al Jefferson, Lance), Atlanta (Millsap) and New Orleans (Evans, Holliday) are all small markets who've been able to bring in big contracts, some working out much better than others.

There will be plenty of time for maneuvering once Tim/Manu retire. May be able to get assets for guys like Tiago / Boris' expiring corpse / Patty and rebuild around the rest. Who knows? Enjoy in the meantime.