PDA

View Full Version : What Role Would You Like To See Duncan in After He Retires?

BillMc
02-01-2015, 01:20 PM
During the Clippers game last night, they did a small taped interview in which Timmy said he'd step away from the game for a year or two after he retires, but then would come back in some other capacity because "Basketball is what I know." Given that, what role would you see Timmy in that...

1) He'd enjoy
2) He'd be good at.

I've read (somewhere) that Pop has been pushing him to consider coaching. But Duncan being so reserved and cerebral, I'm not sure he'd like being a coach. Also, there is the travel and I know he wants more time with his kids. I think he'd be great as an assistant GM on his path to being a GM someday. I doubt he'd want some strictly token or ceremonial position just to hang around. I'm sure he'd want to really do something, or he'd get bored.

What thinks you all?

Malik Hairston
02-01-2015, 01:24 PM
It's really impossible to gauge, tbh..

As we have seen with the majority of former greats, they are terrible in roles where they coach or assess/evaluate players..winning the genetic lottery/being great at basketball doesn't necessarily translate to success in other areas of the game, unfortunately..

Tim seems like a smart guy, his basketball IQ is obviously high, but I don't think there's any way of assessing how effective he would be in a non-playing role(see: Michael Jordan, Isiah Thomas, Magic Johnson trying to analyze the game, Barkley, etc)..

dbreiden83080
02-01-2015, 01:30 PM
He can coach IMO he just would need to fully commit to the grind..

I think Tim would want to coach because of the competition. The focus would shift to trying to win rings now as a coach.. But the time away from the family is an issue..

daslicer
02-01-2015, 01:43 PM
I think he could possibly be a scout or have some position in the front office.

BillMc
02-01-2015, 01:46 PM
It's really impossible to gauge, tbh..

As we have seen with the majority of former greats, they are terrible in roles where they coach or assess/evaluate players..winning the genetic lottery/being great at basketball doesn't necessarily translate to success in other areas of the game, unfortunately..

Tim seems like a smart guy, his basketball IQ is obviously high, but I don't think there's any way of assessing how effective he would be in a non-playing role(see: Michael Jordan, Isiah Thomas, Magic Johnson trying to analyze the game, Barkley, etc)..

Yeah, lightning seldom strikes twice to be both a great player and a great executive. Jerry West is the only one that immediately comes to mind, though I'm sure there were others. Phil Jackson was an NBA player, but nothing special I think. Same with Pat Riley. Magic, by all accounts, turned out to be a very good businessman.

Russ
02-01-2015, 01:47 PM
I think he could possibly be a scout or have some position in the front office.

A scout??????

daslicer
02-01-2015, 01:52 PM
A scout??????

Yeah he can be a player scout and help the spurs evaluate talent. I think he might be good in that type of role. I heard the story many years ago that it was Duncan who convinced the spurs FO to sign Stephen Jackson when he was pretty much an unknown.

elemento
02-01-2015, 01:55 PM
Honestly, Duncan doesn't seem like a guy that stays in the office. I'd like to see him working/teaching young guys like Hakeem does.

ginobilized
02-01-2015, 01:58 PM
Bigman coach to replace Boylan
Consultant role in player development ala Kareem

Godbama
02-01-2015, 02:04 PM
Assistant coach under Pop's last years/our meaningless Hakeem ("training with Duncan this summer!!")

EVAY
02-01-2015, 02:14 PM
Bigman coach to replace Boylan
Consultant role in player development ala Kareem

works for me

BatManu20
02-01-2015, 02:35 PM
I could see him as an assistant coach. Still on the payroll while helping young big's work on their game in practice. The travel is the only thing that I'm unsure about, because he's already said the grind of traveling wears him down a bit, and he wants to spend time with his kids.

Maybe he could be some sort of part-time assistant who only attends practices and home games but doesn't have to travel with the team. That'd be perfect for him imo, and Spurs I think the Spurs would actually let him do that.

Cane
02-01-2015, 02:42 PM
Join TNT; tbh that would be the best schedule for a family man.

Coaching is worth it for the challenge and the contracts

ducks
02-01-2015, 03:20 PM
does not want to have to use a mic

cantthinkofanything
02-01-2015, 03:22 PM
Maybe like a laid back school librarian. Or dentist.

exstatic
02-01-2015, 04:26 PM
Tim would be a terrible scout or GM. If you watched Champions revealed he flat out admits that he saw little or nothing from Tony or Kawhi when they arrived.

tim_duncan_fan
02-01-2015, 04:55 PM
Join TNT; tbh that would be the best schedule for a family man.

I actually want to see this. He'd make a good addition to that cast. I KNOW Shaq would bring the character out of him.

We know Tim's chick likes seeing him in the light. Somebody get Vanessa on this.

exstatic
02-01-2015, 04:57 PM
Tim would be a terrible scout or GM. If you watched Champions revealed he flat out admits that he saw little or nothing from Tony or Kawhi when they arrived.

barakz21
02-01-2015, 05:15 PM
I don't think he'd make for a good HC simply he doesn't like talking too much. And given how he'd like to spend more time with his kids, he probably won't want to be a HC. With that being said, I think he'd make a great assistant coach in the mold of Chip or Chad Forcier, kind of how dream and Ewing focus on big men development. I think he'd also make for a good front office guy. He strikes me as a straight to the point kind of guy, so FAs will know that Tim isn't playing any games with them or whatsoever.

barakz21
02-01-2015, 05:16 PM
I actually want to see this. He'd make a good addition to that cast. I KNOW Shaq would bring the character out of him.

We know Tim's chick likes seeing him in the light. Somebody get Vanessa on this.

I agree. Tim doesn't speak a lot, but when he does, he says nothing but gold.

Beaverfuzz
02-01-2015, 05:19 PM
Ambassador for the team. Nothing more, nothing less.

Pauleta14
02-01-2015, 05:22 PM
He might hate talking to the media, but he loves being on the bench, you can see it each time he doesn't play..

I can see him learning the job assisting Pop before taking over the job

-21-
02-02-2015, 06:39 AM
I think he could be a good coach but I doubt he would commit to more traveling and leaving his kids. I don't see Tim as a GM or scout. I have a feeling he would suck. It would be interesting to see him on TV as an analyst since he seems pretty quiet most of the time but if surrounded with the right people (maybe guys he's played with or against like Sean Elliott, Brent Barry, Shaq, etc.) maybe it could work.

100%duncan
02-02-2015, 06:51 AM
Playing dungeons and dragons

spursparker9
02-02-2015, 07:03 AM
Timmy can do something like what Magic Johnson do for the Lakers.

TheGreatYacht
02-02-2015, 09:57 AM
Hopefully he'll be an assistant coach like Sean Marks. Someone needs to teach a certain Forward how to pass out of the post...

lefty
02-02-2015, 10:30 AM
Join TNT
RIP TNT

hater
02-02-2015, 10:53 AM
Potato Couch

look_at_g_shred
02-02-2015, 11:02 AM
Potato Couch

SnakeBoy
02-02-2015, 11:12 AM