PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Playing Time Will Be Limited

timvp
09-02-2005, 12:17 AM
Adding Finley to full Spurs roster means playing time will be limited
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA090205.1D.BKNspurs.finley.17daafb5.html

The experience Spurs coach Gregg Popovich gained as an assistant coach for Team USA in the 2002 FIBA World Championships and the 2004 Olympics should serve him well when the Spurs begin defense of their NBA championship.

Just as the Team USA coaching staffs had to find ways to appease star players relegated to relatively limited roles — sometimes with limited success — Popovich understands he must approach the Spurs' 2005-06 season from a different angle than in seasons past.

Suddenly, Popovich's bench is crowded with players who have played significant roles for other teams in the recent past. Some will have to share similar roles.

Both Michael Finley and Nick Van Exel, who signed on with the Spurs on Tuesday, have gotten significant time at shooting guard, though neither is primarily a shooting guard. Brent Barry, last summer's key free-agent signee, also logs most of his time at shooting guard.

It is up to Popovich to determine who plays, and when, always aware of potential chemistry problems.

"We are going to have to do things a little differently than we have in the past," Popovich said. "By that, I mean we usually figure things out from a point of less talent, compared to some other teams. Now we are going to have to figure it out from a greater talent level, with a bench that is quite deep and experienced."

Finley is expected to be introduced at a news conference the Spurs have scheduled for 3 p.m. today. His contract has yet to be formalized and signed, and he will have to pass a physical before he signs it.

Finley's deal is believed to be for multiple seasons, to begin at $2.625 million for 2005-06.

The Spurs also are expected to announce they have reached an agreement with veteran big man Sean Marks, who spent most of last season on the injured list after suffering a back injury during training camp. Marks, who recently turned 30, is a 7-foot center-forward from New Zealand who played 23 games for the Spurs last season. He was not on the team's playoff roster.

Marks' deal is believed to be for the veterans' minimum, in his case just under $1 million. It will bring to 13 the number of Spurs under contract, putting them at the NBA-mandated minimum. They retain the right to match any offer sheet restricted free agent Devin Brown — yet another shooting guard — might receive from another team.

Popovich has no worries that Marks, one of the most popular Spurs among his teammates, might pout about his role this season. But he is aware that players like Finley, who averaged 36.8 minutes in 64 games with the Dallas Mavericks last season, sometimes have problems accepting lesser roles.

He stressed to Finley, a former All-Star who has been a starter most of his 10-year career, that if he chose the Spurs he would come off the bench. That Finley still wanted to be in San Antonio sent Popovich the message he wanted to hear.

"One of the reasons we feel very fortunate getting him," Popovich said, "is because he's obviously a professional of the highest order and a serious basketball player who cares more about team success than individual success."

Nevertheless, Popovich understands pro athletes have egos and highly competitive natures.

"In my opinion," Popovich said, "at this early time, even before preseason, I think our success will be very much tied to how people accept roles and minutes and keep their eye on what we want to accomplish as a group, rather than what individuals might want.

"All the individuals we've gotten on the team are character kinds of people, so I think we've got a good chance to get that done. Our success this season will be predicated more on that than on some magic play or some brilliant defensive scheme."

usckk
09-02-2005, 12:18 AM
I thiink i beat you to it haha :)

timvp
09-02-2005, 12:19 AM
But he is aware that players like Finley, who averaged 36.8 minutes in 64 games with the Dallas Mavericks last season, sometimes have problems accepting lesser roles.

This is what makes Finley coming to the Spurs interesting. He has a rep of not being able to accept a role player type role.

It was his choice to come here. We'll see if he can do it.

ZStomp
09-02-2005, 12:19 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24399

;)

:lol

timvp
09-02-2005, 12:20 AM
I changed that one to be all about Marks. This is about the other info in the article.

usckk
09-02-2005, 12:22 AM
oh okay

usckk
09-02-2005, 12:25 AM
Dang, no update on Devin. So people say Devin has signed an offers sheet already. Anybody with an insider about it?

Horry For 3!
09-02-2005, 12:25 AM
Pretty good article. That is interesting about Marks, I didn't think they would sign him back.

Sense
09-02-2005, 12:26 AM
I hope that when I'm surfin through the web tomorrow at school, I'll get to see Finley talkin to the media n stuff n stuff..

usckk
09-02-2005, 12:26 AM
Haha, same here.

whottt
09-02-2005, 12:30 AM
This is what makes Finley coming to the Spurs interesting. He has a rep of not being able to accept a role player type role.

It was his choice to come here. We'll see if he can do it.

Barry did the same thing...and he sucked when he was getting limited minutes and a reduced role.

I can see this situation being a lot like last season with Devin and Brent, where the lack of minutes hurt due to them not being used to so limited a role. Finley is going to have to make an even bigger adjustment...

Then again...he might play good enough to where he gets all the minutes...who knows, he might even push Bruce.

I personally value role players more than stars with the way this team is built...that's why I liked NVE...he's proven he can be a standout role player.

Barry hasn't shown me anything to prove he can be effective in a limited role...and it's never been asked of Finley....

timvp
09-02-2005, 12:33 AM
Barry did the same thing...and he sucked when he was getting limited minutes and a reduced role.

I can see this situation being a lot like last season with Devin and Brent, where the lack of minutes hurt due to them not being used to so limited a role. Finley is going to have to make an even bigger adjustment...

Then again...he might play good enough to where he gets all the minutes...who knows, he might even push Bruce.

I personally value role players more than stars with the way this team is built...that's why I liked NVE...he's proven he can be a standout role player.

Barry hasn't shown me anything to prove he can be effective in a limited role...and it's never been asked of Finley....

Pretty true, but I'd argue that Barry has been a role player his whole career. Finley is a two time all-star and has played for Team USA. It shouldn't have been that huge of an adjustment for Barry. For Finley, it's a huuuuuuuge adjustment.

I think he'll either but awesome off the bench or the Spurs will be shopping him come the trade deadline. There's not much middle ground.

Agreed?

timvp
09-02-2005, 12:34 AM
Oh and I agree with you Whottt that Van Exel is the much more important signing.

whottt
09-02-2005, 12:37 AM
Pretty true, but I'd argue that Barry has been a role player his whole career. Finley is a two time all-star and has played for Team USA. It shouldn't have been that huge of an adjustment for Barry. For Finley, it's a huuuuuuuge adjustment.

I think he'll either but awesome off the bench or the Spurs will be shopping him come the trade deadline. There's not much middle ground.

Agreed?

Pretty much...I think Barry's problem was that the role was even more limited than he expected...basically spot up shooter. I think he was planning on being the back up PG, and being used only as a shooter psyched him out.

Finley does have an even bigger adjustment...a huge adjustment. What the Spurs are expecting of him will make a big difference too...If they just want him to be a spot up shooter, I think he will struggle like Barry did.

timvp
09-02-2005, 12:46 AM
I think the Spurs are banking on Finley having a 2003 Manu-like role off the bench. Come in, make things happen, score 10-12 points and just be a difference maker.

For as well as Barry shot in the playoffs, he still only averaged six points and two assists in 24 minutes per game. I think Pop wants a scoring punch. Horry can't be someone you depend on for huge nights. Barry can't be either.

In a perfect world, you keep Barry and let him play a Steve Kerr type role. Hit timely shots, play smart and just don't make mistakes.

The only thing that would stop that from happening is if Barry's contract gets in the way and they move him.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-02-2005, 12:48 AM

He doesn't deserve that rep at all. Problem is he's a natural leader and he got pushed aside so Dirk could "lead" by cussing out his teammates in the playoffs while he was shooting 6 for 30 from the field.

Total BS.

usckk
09-02-2005, 12:49 AM
If I was Brent, I would be pissed.

loveforthegame
09-02-2005, 01:07 AM
I think it was in his blog but Cuban said that he, Donnie, and AJ discussed what Fin's role would be next season (before knowing of the amnesty clause) and that it might be off the bench. He said they never discussed it with Fin so I'm not sure where his rep for not accepting a lesser role came from exactly.

Don Nelson said back in January or February that he asked Fin about coming off the bench but Fin asked that he stick with him. It was during the time where they didn't think Fin was giving it his all. Um, ok.

I think the adjustment was hard for Fin having 2 coaches during last season. Nelson was head coach but AJ was running all the practices and stuff. Nelson admitted he wanted Fin to shoot more instead of waiting for others to make things happen for him and AJ admitted that he wanted Fin to cut way back on his offense and focus on defense and other things.

I'm not worried about Fin. I think his accepting what the situation will be in SA shows he knows what's important.

Mr. Body
09-02-2005, 01:14 AM
I think the Spurs are banking on Finley having a 2003 Manu-like role off the bench. Come in, make things happen, score 10-12 points and just be a difference maker.

For as well as Barry shot in the playoffs, he still only averaged six points and two assists in 24 minutes per game. I think Pop wants a scoring punch. Horry can't be someone you depend on for huge nights. Barry can't be either.

In a perfect world, you keep Barry and let him play a Steve Kerr type role. Hit timely shots, play smart and just don't make mistakes.

The only thing that would stop that from happening is if Barry's contract gets in the way and they move him.

I completely agree. The second unit, before NVE, was full of passers who would almost rather swing the ball around the perimeter than shoot it -- Barry, Beno, even Horry; Oberto is known too as a passer. Devin was the guy who would drive and try to make things happen. I'm sure Pop sees Finley (and Finley will see Finley) as the guy who can take all those pinpoint passes and put it in the hoop. He should get plentiful opportunities.

milkyway21
09-02-2005, 01:34 AM
Finley is expected to be introduced at a news conference the Spurs have scheduled for 3 p.m. today. His contract has yet to be formalized and signed, and he will have to pass a physical before he signs it.
Finley's deal is believed to be for multiple seasons, to begin at $2.625 million for 2005-06.

hmmnnn....:rolleyes

ggoose25
09-02-2005, 01:41 AM

why?? there's no more pressure on him to perform well. Plus he gets to win another championship while playing with a great bunch of guys...

timvp
09-02-2005, 01:48 AM
I completely agree. The second unit, before NVE, was full of passers who would almost rather swing the ball around the perimeter than shoot it -- Barry, Beno, even Horry; Oberto is known too as a passer. Devin was the guy who would drive and try to make things happen. I'm sure Pop sees Finley (and Finley will see Finley) as the guy who can take all those pinpoint passes and put it in the hoop. He should get plentiful opportunities.

:tu

The Spurs needed a scorer off the bench. Plain and simple.

With the type of passing this team has, Finley will get plenty of shots in 25 minutes off the bench.

whottt
09-02-2005, 01:59 AM

Or if Barry sucks in the Steve Kerr role, which the evidence indicates he might.....then we get stuck with an ineffective player and a shitty contract.

But who knows...maybe he'll handle it better this season. He's enough of a threat to draw a defender in that role...but...Steve Kerr he isn't...as he proved last season. I don't think Finley is going to be Steve Kerr either...

timvp
09-02-2005, 02:04 AM
Or if Barry sucks in the Steve Kerr role, which the evidence indicates he might.....then we get stuck with an ineffective player and a shitty contract.

But who knows...maybe he'll handle it better this season. He's enough of a threat to draw a defender in that role...but...Steve Kerr he isn't...as he proved last season. I don't think Finley is going to be Steve Kerr either...

The Spurs want Finley to be 2003 Manu.

polandprzem
09-02-2005, 02:50 AM
It is a diferent situation.
Manu was just a rookie from Europe who was in a learning process in NBA.
Finley is a former AllStar.

He is not a rookie he knows what is all about.

The role will be bigger than the Manus.

I like Finley of the bench he will provide a new style.
Imagine in how many different styles can spurs play. They've got players they've got system.... Just can't wait how all of this new additions will rise to the chalange to be a TEAM not indywiduals.

GoSpurs21
09-02-2005, 02:52 AM
Although I believe Fin is past his prime...if Fin is willing to accept limited bench ~20 mpg and focus on defense I welcome him with open arms, after all he is a Spur now

anyone that chooses to wear the Silver and Black to win over glamor teams deserves the devotion that Spurs fans adorn on them
plus sticking it to I'll buy me a championship Cuban gets my support

If I was Brent I would work on making more of my shots during games

whottt
09-02-2005, 02:56 AM

They aren't going to get that...there's only one Manu.

A less clutch version of Stephen Jackson OTOH, they just might get :smokin

Admidave50
09-02-2005, 03:10 AM
Last year, we wanted Barry to be agressive and a scorer from the bench but ihe wasn't confortable with it. I think he'll fit a lot better as a Steve Kerr, let Finley and NVE score and wait for the ball to drop killing 3pts.

Concerning Finley's choice for the Spurs, I think he understood that he wasn't effective as before being a starter and playing 35 mins/g. We could see that last year when his PPG and FG% dropped. He will be excellent and effective coming from the bench and play 20min/g. He's not as young as he used to be and he can't run for 30 mins and be as effective as before!