PDA

View Full Version : OT: I'll never understand professional head coaches and their inability to make obvious

midnightpulp
02-01-2015, 10:28 PM
playcalls that even us armchair coaches can see are the correct ones to make.

Now, I'm not claiming to know even a fraction of what a professional head coach knows. No way in Hell would any of us shulbs be able to coach at the NBA/NFL level. What I'll never understand is when coaches make bizarre as fuck decisions when a simple decision would suffice and give you the highest probability of a positive outcome.

Pete Carroll coached about as perfect as a game you could ask for, and then threw it all away with what might be the worst playcall in the history of North American sports. In a similar situation, Popovich pissed away the 2013 NBA Championship with some nonsensical decisions. I'm not necessarily talking about subbing out Duncan, since it can be argued that was the right move, considering that Duncan can't closeout on 3 point shooters. Where Pop lost that game was going with that idiotic Frankenstein lineup to start the 4th.

Baseball managers often do stupid shit like this all-time, as well. Pulling a starter who is dominating to "matchup" with a left-handed or right-handed batter.

It's like coaches want to stamp their ego all over the game and just can't let things play out in the most logical way possible.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
02-01-2015, 10:29 PM
You were freaking out over RS games.. No reason to question championship winning coaches..

daslicer
02-01-2015, 10:33 PM
Watching the Seahawks lose just makes me appreciate the spurs ability to historically comeback from devastating losses such as .4, the Dirk foul, game 6. Any of those 3 losses would have normally sunk a franchise but the spurs managed to comeback and win the title after all those loses. Its rare you can avenge heart breaking loses and the spurs have done it 3 times. I doubt the Seahawks comeback from this.

sook
02-01-2015, 10:33 PM
Pop's decision was bad...but arguable.

That right there....was....dear god...absolutely indefensible.

I dropped my drink on the ground because I couldn't grasp what on earth would compel someone to do that. :lol

rogues
02-01-2015, 10:34 PM
That was a bad loss and this is coming from someone who wishes ill on that fanbase. They will never come back from this, ever.

RD2191
02-01-2015, 10:38 PM
Welcome to the world of cowboys fans for the past couple of years. Jason Garrett does shit like that all the time.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
02-01-2015, 10:40 PM
Welcome to the world of cowboys fans for the past couple of years. Jason Garrett does shit like that all the time.
:lol no he doesn't go to the playoffs

midnightpulp
02-01-2015, 10:42 PM
That was a bad loss and this is coming from someone who wishes ill on that fanbase. They will never come back from this, ever.

It's the most devastating loss in Super Bowl history. I can't imagine going from the high of Kearse's improbable catch to Lynch getting within a yard and then it being all over in seconds. And I've been through 6 :lol

Some might say 18-1, but that was more a case of New York being blessed by the football Gods than the Patriots giving away the game. No way Seattle doesn't score there with 3 plays to go and Marshawn Lynch. They basically gave away a 3 point lead with a few seconds left.

Bynumite
02-01-2015, 10:44 PM
Pop was showing off. Tried to steal the cuck's shine and make the ring about himself. Got sixed instead :lol

rogues
02-01-2015, 10:45 PM
It's the most devastating loss in Super Bowl history. I can't imagine going from the high of Kearse's improbable catch to Lynch getting within a yard and then it being all over in seconds. And I've been through 6 :lol

Some might say 18-1, but that was more a case of New York being blessed by the football Gods than the Patriots giving away the game. No way Seattle doesn't score there with 3 plays to go and Marshawn Lynch. They basically gave away a 3 point lead with a few seconds left.
What's ironic about Seattle being sixed is they were on the other end of sixed two weeks ago. Green Bay choked a fat dick to give Seattle that victory. A lot of choking happened in this year's NFL playoffs.

FlAVaK
02-01-2015, 11:04 PM
There is always reason behind it. Mostly trying to do the unorthodox instead of the obvious to surpise opposition. But it is against the odds! And if it fails, it fails bigtime...

midnightpulp
02-01-2015, 11:05 PM
What's ironic about Seattle being sixed is they were on the other end of sixed two weeks ago. Green Bay choked a fat dick to give Seattle that victory. A lot of choking happened in this year's NFL playoffs.

Yeah, we've saw the two most devastating losses in NFL history in these playoffs. Two improbable events that probably won't happen again for 100 years.

DMC
02-01-2015, 11:10 PM
If the coach played it how you thought was the best odds, he'd be watching from his home, like you were.

spurraider21
02-01-2015, 11:12 PM
did you think the spurs would come back from 6

Kool Bob Love
02-01-2015, 11:13 PM

rogues
02-01-2015, 11:14 PM
did you think the spurs would come back from 6
No I didn't.

Kool Bob Love
02-01-2015, 11:15 PM
No I didn't.

Because you thought they were TOSBs. Wilson and the Hawks are still young and primed. They'll get back there next year.

rogues
02-01-2015, 11:18 PM
Because you thought they were TOSBs. Wilson and the Hawks are still young and primed. They'll get back there next year.
No they won't. The NFC will be represented by either Green Bay or Dallas.

xellos88330
02-01-2015, 11:20 PM
I actually don't think it is that difficult to understand.

Seattle had the thought process that went something like this.

1. We have the ball near the goal line and the best running back in the super bowl.
2. What could the Patriots do to stop it?
3. The Patriots will probably be worried about the run and will stack the line and their corners will play to prevent an outside run.
4. We can solve this by throwing a quick inside pass with the Patriots defense expecting run.
5. Interception
6. FUCK MY LIFE!!!

Buddy Mignon
02-02-2015, 01:22 AM
playcalls that even us armchair coaches can see are the correct ones to make.

Now, I'm not claiming to know even a fraction of what a professional head coach knows. No way in Hell would any of us shulbs be able to coach at the NBA/NFL level. What I'll never understand is when coaches make bizarre as fuck decisions when a simple decision would suffice and give you the highest probability of a positive outcome.

Pete Carroll coached about as perfect as a game you could ask for, and then threw it all away with what might be the worst playcall in the history of North American sports. In a similar situation, Popovich pissed away the 2013 NBA Championship with some nonsensical decisions. I'm not necessarily talking about subbing out Duncan, since it can be argued that was the right move, considering that Duncan can't closeout on 3 point shooters. Where Pop lost that game was going with that idiotic Frankenstein lineup to start the 4th.

Baseball managers often do stupid shit like this all-time, as well. Pulling a starter who is dominating to "matchup" with a left-handed or right-handed batter.

It's like coaches want to stamp their ego all over the game and just can't let things play out in the most logical way possible.

The Hawks were losing and going for the win and made the wrong call. The Spurs had won it and gave it back by celebrating too early. Big difference.

spurraider21
02-02-2015, 01:28 AM
your predictions have been pretty awful for the past 18 months, i'd slow it down tbh

02-02-2015, 01:34 AM
The Hawks were losing and going for the win and made the wrong call. The Spurs had won it and gave it back by celebrating too early. Big difference.

No. The Seahawks had the game won, %100.it was the equivalent of dropping the ball right before you walk into the end zone.

Spurs 4 The Win
02-02-2015, 01:38 AM
No. The Seahawks had the game won, %100.it was the equivalent of dropping the ball right before you walk into the end zone.

Agreed, it was in the books. Everyone knew the game was over. Pats fans were thinking about the hail Mary, then the dumbest play I have ever seen happened.

spurraider21
02-02-2015, 01:38 AM
but this wasn't even like a basketball game where you have 1 call to do or die... the seahawks had three opportunities to score with Lynch. you really think he was going to be denied a yard three straight times?

Clipper Nation
02-02-2015, 01:42 AM

Ravens 30, Packers 10. January Joe Bags is just too much for Green Bay's faggot quarterback.

Sean Cagney
02-02-2015, 01:54 AM
Watching the Seahawks lose just makes me appreciate the spurs ability to historically comeback from devastating losses such as .4, the Dirk foul, game 6. Any of those 3 losses would have normally sunk a franchise but the spurs managed to comeback and win the title after all those loses. Its rare you can avenge heart breaking loses and the spurs have done it 3 times. I doubt the Seahawks comeback from this.

I agree man, thanks for reminding me again of the other two when I thought of game 6 tonight when they choked away a title (Seattle). they did come back from those though, hungrier than ever and a chip on their shoulder and took back what was theirs. If they let Lynch go they are beyond stupid BTW, that is a bad bad man in the backfield and they have NO shot without him.
Agreed, it was in the books. Everyone knew the game was over. Pats fans were thinking about the hail Mary, then the dumbest play I have ever seen happened.
You saw on Tom Bradys face on the sideline he thought that game was over, he looked devistated like not again as they said.
Yeah, we've saw the two most devastating losses in NFL history in these playoffs. Two improbable events that probably won't happen again for 100 years.
I would say the Bills and Oilers is around the top as well when they blew the 35-3 lead with the starting QB for Buffalo out and Thurman Thomas out, we won't see that again either. These three I can think of off the top of my head and maybe the Ravens dropped pass and missed FG to lose to NE that one year. I remember SF's Return man fumbling twice as well (Kyle Williams?), those off the top of my head and the Brett Favre INT in the NFC title game when all he had to do was run and slide and they kick a field goal to win. Those are the biggest chokes I have seen, this one tonight might top them all.

Infinite_limit
02-02-2015, 03:45 AM
but this wasn't even like a basketball game where you have 1 call to do or die... the seahawks had three opportunities to score with Lynch. you really think he was going to be denied a yard three straight times?
It would have to involve technicals and Isiah Thomas pass to Larry Bird

Infinite_limit
02-02-2015, 03:48 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQeQCdqTS78

FlAVaK
02-02-2015, 07:31 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/what-were-seahawks-thinking-on-russell-wilson-s-goal-line-pass--explanations-make-little-sense-062200547.html

"It was the ultimate in a coaching staff out-thinking itself. Carroll is known for being clever – remember the brilliant fake field goal in the NFC championship? – and yet here he was far too clever. Hand the ball to Lynch. Win the title."

BoricuaCJA
02-02-2015, 07:44 AM
I actually don't think it is that difficult to understand.

Seattle had the thought process that went something like this.

1. We have the ball near the goal line and the best running back in the super bowl.
2. What could the Patriots do to stop it?
3. The Patriots will probably be worried about the run and will stack the line and their corners will play to prevent an outside run.
4. We can solve this by throwing a quick inside pass with the Patriots defense expecting run.
5. Interception
6. FUCK MY LIFE!!!
If they thought they were going to load the box, I would of done play action and throw to the outside right, not the inside where they're loading the box. That thought process was dumb! Even if they would of scored, I would of said that was a dumb lucky play call. You run the football, end of story! They had a timeout and enough time to do 3 plays.

DMC
02-02-2015, 10:50 AM
You fuckers cannot even master grammar and spelling and you want to second guess one of the most successful coaches of all time? Hindsight and all.. isn't it great? Guy makes decisions all day every day, 99% of them not only right but borderline peerless. He makes a call that costs him dearly, suddenly he's an idiot. The league is full of coaches who's calls never saw the light of the post season.