PDA

View Full Version : Popovich explains in-game interview style

FlAVaK
02-04-2015, 04:26 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/gregg-popovic-explains-why-he-acts-like-that-during-in-game-interviews-070317674.html

Gregg Popovich explains why he acts like that during in-game interviews

"I just have a philosophical difference with the NBA, and I let them know it every time," he said.

By all means, Pop, please continue:

I said [at the annual NBA head coaches' meetings], “I’m supposed to be setting the defense and offense to start the next quarter, and I can’t do my job because I’m doing this inane deal with whoever is asking me a question.” The questions are unanswerable. It’s like, “That quarter, you got killed on the boards. What are you going to do about it?” “Well, I’m going to conduct a trade during timeouts.” Or, “I’m going to ask them nicely to do a better job on the boards.” The questions just demand a trite quip, or something, so I just say, “You know, it just puts everybody in a stupid position.” And (NBA officials) listen to it, and then they go, “Yeah, well (blabbering).” And then they don’t do anything about it. So I just do what I do. [...]
I’m going to say it every year. I do it, and then … two, three, four times it’ll come up, and I’ll say I don’t agree with the NBA. They don’t need it. It’s superfluous. It’s awkward for the questioner. It puts the coach in a position where he looks ignorant or trite, or that “Well, one game at a time stuff,” or “Well, we’ll try to do better this quarter. Maybe we’ll shoot better.” It’s just — it makes no sense. You can’t answer a question in 10 seconds. You can’t do it.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-04-2015, 04:38 AM
Agree these interviews are stupid. I'd actually be extremely surprised if there's even a single viewer who'd be interested in what the coach would answer. Most interviews with athletes pre or post game are just random tripe that interests no one, but these 5 second questions during the game are the cherry on top.

Fireball
02-04-2015, 06:47 AM
I agree with him and still its funny that 29 other coaches just try to make it happen ...

Bartleby
02-04-2015, 07:54 AM
The irony of course is that Pop's predictably taciturn responses have made these routine interviews more entertaining, something the commentators and reporters can joke about.

FlAVaK
02-04-2015, 08:30 AM
^true dat.

Here the interview the artcile in the OP probably came from:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/02/nba-gregg-popovich-marshawn-lynch-interviews-no-comment-sarcasm

100%duncan
02-04-2015, 08:57 AM
That craig saiger jr interview tho :cry

hater
02-04-2015, 09:08 AM
was thinking about this hard the other day folks.

Pop just hates to say what he's thinking, and in-game he must really detest it. You basically are forced to give a bit of your strategy at every timeout. fucking stupid

Pop studied the Art of War for christakes:
"O divine art of subtlety and secrecy! Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible"

MateoNeygro
02-04-2015, 12:27 PM
He's definitely not wrong. It's stupid.

ploto
02-04-2015, 02:07 PM
He works for the NBA. The TV revenue pays his high salary. He can answer a couple of questions without being as a$$hole.

moisaenz
02-04-2015, 02:11 PM
He works for the NBA. The TV revenue pays his high salary. He can answer a couple of questions without being as a$$hole.

He gets paid to coach and manage a team to win. To increase or decrease revenue for the league is not his job.

Dre_7
02-04-2015, 02:51 PM
The funny thing is, Pop probably gives the most honest answer. It may short, to the point, and make the interviewer feel dumb for asking dumb questions, but it is a lot more honest than the BS cliched coach speak that all the other coaches give.

hater
02-04-2015, 03:36 PM
He gets paid to coach and manage a team to win. To increase or decrease revenue for the league is not his job.

It's the Spurs who pay him and don't be fooled. They pay him to be an asshole.

Silver&Black
02-04-2015, 05:46 PM
Tony Kornheiser on PTI just tried to go in raw on Pop. He sounded like a dumbass though...

Wilbon had our back though....my nigga.

02-04-2015, 05:53 PM
Why is your name red?

testies
02-04-2015, 09:25 PM
This old fart is pretending he doesn't like the spotlight and the reaction his interviews get

Arcadian
02-04-2015, 09:49 PM
Tony Kornheiser on PTI just tried to go in raw on Pop. He sounded like a dumbass though...

Wilbon had our back though....my nigga.

:lol I saw that...his only argument was that Pop should "respect authority"...what a tool :lol