PDA

View Full Version : Pounding The Rock: Aron Baynes has become a solid big man

spursparker9
02-04-2015, 08:57 AM
https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/fFOOny6LFvJndwqKwGay_w2tTG0=/0x25:2287x1550/709x473/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/45619436/usa-today-8151145.0.jpg

Aron Baynes is finally living up to the potential that endeared him to many Spurs fans.

Going from roster filler to rotation fixture is hard to do on a good team, no matter how talented someone is, even for young players in which a franchise is invested. We've seen Ian Mahinmi, James Anderson and a bunch of second round picks never gaining a foothold with the Spurs, simply because they couldn't improve enough to claim it. For older guys like Nando De Colo, Austin Daye and potentially Jeff Ayres the challenge is even greater; the opportunities often come only once.

It takes genuine improvement to change Pop's perception of a player and consistent production to sustain a role with the Spurs. That's why what Aron Baynes has done this year is so impressive.

Baynes was a bit player last season, averaging 9.3 minutes in 53 games in the regular season and 7.2 in 14 playoffs appearances. There were some flashes of potential as a decent two-way player and his rebounding was very good from the start, but Baynes didn't really deserve more time on the court. He wasn't unplayable but he was, by all metrics, a below-average player.

This season Baynes is getting 15.1 minutes per game, and while that number was inflated by Tiago Splitter's absence, Baynes has still averaged 13.2 minutes since his return and has played in every game in which he was healthy. Despite a rocky start to the season that saw Pop bench him after botched double teams and repeated offensive three seconds calls, Baynes is now a part of the rotation, the fourth big unless match ups indicate otherwise. Baynes is getting minutes this year simply because he is good enough to earn them.

Read the rest on
http://www.poundingtherock.com/2015/2/3/7952713/aron-baynes-has-become-a-solid-big-man

weebo
02-04-2015, 09:02 AM
Baynes has been getting more time on the court because Splitter's v'jay has been on the mend a lot this season.

TheGreatYacht
02-04-2015, 10:03 AM
Wrong timing

Chinook
02-04-2015, 10:18 AM
Eh.

hater
02-04-2015, 10:27 AM
you know things are bad when we are calling mediocre Baynes a solid bigman

Fireball
02-04-2015, 10:34 AM
sadly Splitter's decline > Baynes' improvement

jeebus
02-04-2015, 11:03 AM
He's a solid backup, but that's about it. Better than Penderfaggot or Boner, that's for sure; and he does a decent job on the opposing team's backup big men. That's good enough for me.

Chomag
02-04-2015, 11:32 AM
sadly Splitter's decline > Baynes' improvement

Yep, this

KL2
02-04-2015, 01:21 PM
Pop is screwing up his development plain and simple just like he's done to so many before him.

Pop has this mentality where he expects you to produce if he puts you out there sort of like Kerr. The problem is this primarily works with old vets, not inexperienced NBA players.

Baynes has been improving this season a lot. The problem is he does not get consistent playing time. I made a post about it a few weeks ago something like "Baynes playing well, he'll get relegated to the bench and when he comes back people will wonder why he sucks", this is now happening lol.

Instead we are seeing him benched for the likes of Bonner and Ayres.

I really don't understand Pop sometimes, Baynes is on such a short leash, one mistake and he's getting benched, while Bonner/Ayres get to royally fuck up game after game without penalty.

Baynes is not an all star or anything, but he is a decent back up big if developed properly which Pop isn't doing.

jeebus
02-04-2015, 02:24 PM
=
I really don't understand Pop sometimes, Baynes is on such a short leash, one mistake and he's getting benched, while Bonner/Ayres get to royally fuck up game after game without penalty.

Boner has been fucking up since he joined the team. A couple years ago, it got to the point to where I'd just turn off the game whenever that cuck came into the game. I don't mind him too much now as his playing time has decreased, plus he's still better than Errors or Daye, before he was cut.

PingPong
02-04-2015, 06:19 PM
Baynes still seems to be lost in the offense. But with Splitter fumbling the ball and doing manuesque pass, he seems to be good