View Full Version : Devin Brown Signs Offer Sheet With Jazz

timvp
09-02-2005, 03:29 AM
Spurs' Brown signs Jazz's offer
Two deals: First Palacio, then the restricted free agent from San Antonio
By Lya Wodraska
The Salt Lake Tribune
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_2994926

After getting Milt Palacio all but signed on the dotted line Wednesday, Kevin O'Connor, Utah's vice president of basketball operations, said his attention would be on finding a solid swingman.

It didn't take him long to find his man.

Devin Brown, the San Antonio Spurs' restricted free agent, has signed an offer sheet for a two-year deal from the Jazz, a league source told The Salt Lake Tribune.

Earlier this summer, Brown's agent, Darrick Powell, met with the Jazz and said at the time that the meeting went well and that his client was "eager" to play for the Jazz.

The Spurs have seven days to match Utah's offer, but the Spurs may not feel the need to keep Brown because they were the winner in the Michael Finley popularity contest, although San Antonio general manager R.C. Buford told the San Antonio Express-News he would not rule out matching an offer from another team.

Finley, a two-time All-Star released by Dallas under the amnesty rule, was courted by Miami, Phoenix and Minnesota before he signed with San Antonio on Wednesday.

It was predicted that once Finley signed, other free agents would quickly follow suit. On Wednesday, O'Connor said Finley's signing would impact the Jazz.

"There is always a domino effect with a player like that that affects a lot of teams," O'Connor said of the Finley waiting game.

The 6-foot-5 Brown is considered one of the top swingmen still available after averaging 7.4 points and 2.6 rebounds for the Spurs last season.

Brown was passed over in the 2002 NBA draft, then signed by the Spurs as a free agent. He was cut a month later, then signed, and again waived in November. Brown changed uniforms in April 2003, signing a 10-day contract with Denver.

He was brought back to San Antonio in August 2003, finally remaining on the roster.

After a long quiet period, the Jazz have had a busy week, signing second-round pick Robert Whaley to a two-year contract Tuesday and Palacio on Thursday.

Utah is also expected to re-sign backup point guard Keith McLeod, which would give the Jazz three point guards going into training camp.

Palacio, an NBA journeyman who has averaged 4.5 points, 2.5 assists and 17.7 minutes in his career, is valued for his experience at the point guard position, complementing rookie Deron Williams and McLeod.

timvp
09-02-2005, 03:31 AM
So the Spurs have seven days to match this two-year offer by the Jazz. I think the Spurs should really think about matching it. Of course I don't know how much it's for, but giving Devin two years to see how his back responds sounds ideal.

If the offer is for $4M or less, I think the Spurs should go ahead and match it.

Admidave50
09-02-2005, 03:34 AM
Do the Spurs have the money to match the offer?
Anyway, we don't really need him anymore since Finley arrived..

xcoriate
09-02-2005, 03:34 AM
^ agreed. I mean you have to keep the assets you have. I don't want to let him walk maybe we could swing a S+T for picks. I dunno

timvp
09-02-2005, 03:35 AM
Do the Spurs have the money to match the offer?
Anyway, we don't really need him anymore since Finley arrived..

Yes, the Spurs can match the offer. They have his early bird right.

baseline bum
09-02-2005, 03:36 AM
So the Spurs have seven days to match this two-year offer by the Jazz. I think the Spurs should really think about matching it. Of course I don't know how much it's for, but giving Devin two years to see how his back responds sounds ideal.

If the offer is for $4M or less, I think the Spurs should go ahead and match it.

The Spurs are already looking at about $58 million in commited salaries for 2006-07, with the need to re-sign Nazr. There's no way this team can afford to do that unless Barry or Rasho is moved. If you mean $4 million per that would be a horrible move. $4 million total it's still too much when you have 6 better players locked up at the G/SF positions. There's no way Devin Brown is worth losing Mohammed.

xcoriate
09-02-2005, 03:38 AM
I was thinkin up to 4m over the 2 years. 4mil per is way too much.

timvp
09-02-2005, 03:38 AM
The Spurs are already looking at about $58 million in commited salaries for next year, with the need to re-sign Nazr. There's no way this team can afford to do that unless Barry or Rasho is moved. If you mean $4 million per that would be a horrible move. $4 million total it's still too much when you have 6 better players locked up at the G/SF positions. There's no way Devin Brown is worth losing Mohammed.

I meant $4M total.

I agree, it'll probably take a trade of Barry or Rasho to stay below the luxury threshold. The question then becomes if you'd rather have Barry at 3-years, $16M or Devin at 2-years, $2-4M.

Admidave50
09-02-2005, 03:43 AM
Since NVE and Finley arrived, Barry will have a less important role from our bench comparing to last year..

Trading him and then sign Devin to get more cap room is not a bad idea, but which teams may be interested in Barry's acquisition?
The best of course is to send him in a loster team and not to one of our rivals!

baseline bum
09-02-2005, 03:43 AM
If it was a basketball decision I'd rather have Barry. Factoring they badly need Mohammed makes it obvious Devin's the better choice if Barry can be moved without taking on salary beyond this year. Since I don't see that happening Devin's too expensive.

Why buy a Toyota when you've just had someone buy you a Benz?

milkyway21
09-02-2005, 03:52 AM
i'd hate to lose Devin but if he's going to sloan's Utah it's fine with me.

BronxCowboy
09-02-2005, 04:42 AM
Mohammed is a non-factor. I don't realistically believe that they will be able to pay him regardless, unless you're talking about dumping multiple players.

If it was a basketball decision I'd rather have Barry. Factoring they badly need Mohammed makes it obvious Devin's the better choice if Barry can be moved without taking on salary beyond this year. Since I don't see that happening Devin's too expensive.

Why buy a Toyota when you've just had someone buy you a Benz?

smeagol
09-02-2005, 06:19 AM
Aren't NVE and Finley's contract for one year?

Does that not have an impact o the final decision about Devin?

ploto
09-02-2005, 06:48 AM
Aren't NVE and Finley's contract for one year?

Does that not have an impact o the final decision about Devin?

Finley will sign a muti-year deal. With Manu here for the long haul, and Bruce, Finley, and Brent for 2 or 3 years, there is no space for Devin for the next couple of years. Let him go somewhere and play and get his experience.

As to trading Brent, it's not like the Spurs haven't placed calls, but who wants to help the Spurs get under the tax threshold?

maxpower
09-02-2005, 07:28 AM
I was wondering if Utah waited out Finley's decision in order to set Devin's contract? Knowing that S.A. had Fin they might have offered less. I wonder.
And with Pop saying it was either or ....but then...he is CIA Pop....

Marcus Bryant
09-02-2005, 08:54 AM
DBrown is too good to let slip away over a couple of mil per season. Some posters have hit the nail on the head, NVE is a temporary acquisition. I don't see him playing in the league longer than 2 more seasons. Once he's gone then you can go back to having 5 swings with 2 points instead of basically 4 swings with 3 points.

But my gut reaction is that the Spurs are going to bluff in order to try to force the Jazz to give up something in a sign and trade.

Notorious H.O.P.
09-02-2005, 09:02 AM
I thught that once an offer sheet is signed, if a players original team resigns him that he can't be sign and traded to the team that signed the player to the offer sheet. Is this correct or not? If so, that means that they couldn't do what you're suggesting. I believe this to be the case. Does anyone know for sure? Thanks.

Kip Fanatic
09-02-2005, 09:05 AM
If the Spurs can afford to keep Devin and it won't hurt them next season, then the Spurs should match. R.C and Pop know what they're doing. However, what are the Spurs going to do with all the wings they have if they keep Devin. That will be hard. Players want to play. Devin wants to show what he can do. In my opinion, the only way the Spurs keep Devin is if a player or some players are moved.

Marcus Bryant
09-02-2005, 09:23 AM
Yeah, once he signs the offer then he can't be signed and traded. The only thing the Spurs could do is try to force Utah to rescind the offer sheet, but DBrown would have to agree to that too.

Maybe the Spurs just want to screw with the Jazz. Of course, the Spurs still have about $1.7 mil in cap flexibility they could use. Not sure how much cap room the Jazz have left, but if the Spurs and Jazz were interested in the same player, it might be worth the Spurs' time to drag out Devin's departure while pursuing whoever else they want.

ducks
09-02-2005, 09:27 AM
Was Not The Jazz Offer Rumored To Be About 8 Million Before

mcdunk
09-02-2005, 09:29 AM
Yeah, once he signs the offer then he can't be signed and traded. The only thing the Spurs could do is try to force Utah to rescind the offer sheet, but DBrown would have to agree to that too.

Maybe the Spurs just want to screw with the Jazz. Of course, the Spurs still have about $1.7 mil in cap flexibility they could use. Not sure how much cap room the Jazz have left, but if the Spurs and Jazz were interested in the same player, it might be worth the Spurs' time to drag out Devin's departure while pursuing whoever else they want.
The Spurs have no cap flexibility as far as avoiding paying the luxury tax at this time. The Spurs are right at the luxury tax threshold of $61.7mil. The Spurs can match any offer that Devin receives due to early bird rights but the question is are the Spurs willing to pay a $2mil salary to the 13th player on the roster and add $3mil in tax minimum on top of that.

bigzak25
09-02-2005, 09:32 AM
LIsten, I'm glad we got mike fin, but I wanted to bring Dev back home to the Silver and Black.

I appreciate Finley's talent and history, but I am a much bigger Devin Brown Fan than Finley fan....

THE SPURS SHOULD HAVE BEEN HAPPY WITH NICK VAN EXEL AND BROUGHT DEVIN BACK HOME....that's just my two cents....maybe the take is worth that, but that's how i feel....

Goodluck in Utah Devin, Hopefully one day you'll be back. :tu

bigzak25
09-02-2005, 09:34 AM
well, after reading Timvp's post more carefully, I now realize the ball is in the Spurs court. MATCH THE OFFER POP!

Marcus Bryant
09-02-2005, 09:55 AM
The Spurs have no cap flexibility as far as avoiding paying the luxury tax at this time. The Spurs are right at the luxury tax threshold of $61.7mil. The Spurs can match any offer that Devin receives due to early bird rights but the question is are the Spurs willing to pay a $2mil salary to the 13th player on the roster and add $3mil in tax minimum on top of that.

I'm not going to be glad to see the Spurs lose talent because Holt Cat can make a few extra bucks. What you failed to recognize is that the Spurs will continue to receive lux tax distributions, net of whatever they have to pay in tax.

kskonn
09-02-2005, 10:02 AM
I honestly think that Devin going to utah is what is best for Devin. There is not a much better coach in the leauge to grow under, and he will actually get substantial playing time. That is probably important to Him. He will not get much playing time in SA.

MI21
09-02-2005, 10:04 AM
Anywhere but Utah, I would have liked to have followed Devin closely and supported his team when they aren't playing the Spurs, but Utah? Not going to happen.

bigzak25
09-02-2005, 10:06 AM
screw playing time, after finley gets a ring, he'll want more jack...that will be Devin's time to shine as Bruce will start gazing towards the rafters where they'll put his jersey.

Marcus Bryant
09-02-2005, 10:07 AM
Yeah, it's worth it to keep Brown around. It would not be surprising if the Spurs 'replace' Barry with Brown.

mcdunk
09-02-2005, 10:08 AM
I'm not going to be glad to see the Spurs lose talent because Holt Cat can make a few extra bucks. What you failed to recognize is that the Spurs will continue to receive lux tax distributions, net of whatever they have to pay in tax.
I realize the taxes from all teams will be equally distributed to all teams even if the team paid taxes but the Spurs FO based on history is reluctant to spend any kind of tax or penalty. If the Spurs do add another player be it Devin or a rookie they will be the 13th or 14th player on the roster and chances are not even be on the playoff roster. So based on the Spurs FO history and spending I dont see the distribution of the tax dollar playing a role in their decision to pay a minimum of $3million dollars in taxes for a non playoff player.

mcdunk
09-02-2005, 10:10 AM
Yeah, it's worth it to keep Brown around. It would not be surprising if the Spurs 'replace' Barry with Brown.
I agree I think the only way Devin remains a Spur is if Barry is traded and the Spurs receive less salary back and clear cap space for Devin.

wildbill2u
09-02-2005, 10:10 AM
I'm always amazed at how some people can blithely say that an owner should lose a few million bucks just so one of their favorite players can be on the team, especially when the player would be getting very marginal minutes.

Obviously if it was their own money they were talking about, the decision might be different. Cuban spent millions, putting the Mavs into the luxury tax bracket and didn't get as good a result as the Spurs good management.

Marcus Bryant
09-02-2005, 10:13 AM
I'm always amazed at how some people can blithely say that an owner should lose a few million bucks just so one of their favorite players can be on the team, especially when the player would be getting very marginal minutes.

Obviously if it was their own money they were talking about, the decision might be different. Cuban spent millions, putting the Mavs into the luxury tax bracket and didn't get as good a result as the Spurs good management.

Did Holt Cat pay for the full cost of the SBC Center? Thank you. I'm amazed you seem to think he did.

Also, we're fucking customers. We're allowed to bitch. The Spurs have an unprecedented opportunity to win multiple additional championships over the next 2 to 3 seasons. Tim Duncan isn't going to play forever.

Win now.

Worry about Holt Cat's money later.

:cooldevil

ploto
09-02-2005, 10:50 AM
Actually some info here is incorrect. While each team receives some distribution of the luxury tax payments, the teams under the threshold receive a full share while the teams over do not. It is rumored to be about $3M in difference. So to sign Devin to a $2M deal- costs the $2M in salary, plus $2M in luxury tax, plus a loss of about $3M in distributions. I don't think the Spurs will spend $7M on him. Now, of course, anyone we sign basically will cause us to lose out on the $3M so they will be reluctant to spend anything on anyone who may not even suit up. But the Spurs knew that signing Finley would put them in this position, and I think they thought the loss was worth it to get him. Which is a slight change in FO practices. They could still try to trade Barry or Rasho for monetary relief, but if they can't, they know they are stuck for now with luxury tax.

mcdunk
09-02-2005, 11:14 AM
Actually some info here is incorrect. While each team receives some distribution of the luxury tax payments, the teams under the threshold receive a full share while the teams over do not. It is rumored to be about $3M in difference. So to sign Devin to a $2M deal- costs the $2M in salary, plus $2M in luxury tax, plus a loss of about $3M in distributions. I don't think the Spurs will spend $7M on him. Now, of course, anyone we sign basically will cause us to lose out on the $3M so they will be reluctant to spend anything on anyone who may not even suit up. But the Spurs knew that signing Finley would put them in this position, and I think they thought the loss was worth it to get him. Which is a slight change in FO practices. They could still try to trade Barry or Rasho for monetary relief, but if they can't, they know they are stuck for now with luxury tax.
I believe you are correct.

http://danrosenbaum.blogspot.com/

1.The luxury tax will be dollar-for-dollar on spending above the 61.0% of BRI luxury tax threshold (just below that used prior to 2004-05), except that the new deal guarantees that the luxury tax will be triggered in every season of the deal. [Note that in 2004-05 the threshold was at 63.3% of BRI.]

2.All teams (including those who pay tax) under the new deal will receive a full share of the escrow tax collections. The most likely distribution of the luxury tax appears to be a full share to teams below the luxury tax threshold with the remainder being split evenly among all teams. This is likely to result in teams losing about $3 million in distributions in 2005-06 (more in later seasons) if they end up being taxpayers.

ObiwanGinobili
09-02-2005, 11:48 AM

I agree.
I'm still lighting a candle that DB will stay a Spur. He's the hometown boy, and besides that he is talented.

baseline bum
09-02-2005, 12:06 PM
Nazr > Devin

The Spurs can't afford to lose a starting center. Especially for a guard who's a role-player on a team stacked with swingmen. They're not going to find a taker for Rasho. Holt has to cut this corner so he has some kind of flexibility to bring Mohammed back. It's just not worth it when the team already has Ginobili, Bowen, Finley, and Van Exel able to play Devin's position and play it better.

timvp
09-02-2005, 12:19 PM
Nazr > Devin

The Spurs can't afford to lose a starting center. Especially for a guard who's a role-player on a team stacked with swingmen. They're not going to find a taker for Rasho. Holt has to cut this corner so he has some kind of flexibility to bring Mohammed back. It's just not worth it when the team already has Ginobili, Bowen, Finley, and Van Exel able to play Devin's position and play it better.

The Spurs will still have to trade Rasho before extending Nazr. DBrown's couple million aren't going to be the deciding factor in whether Nazr can get extended.

Actually, it might take Rasho and Barry to get traded to free up that type of room ... not to mention to produce a package that a team would bite on.

baseline bum
09-02-2005, 01:07 PM
As it stands they're looking at being maybe $4.5-$5 million under the tax threshold for 2006-07. Asking Holt to go $2 million over the tax to bring him back is asking a lot less than asking him to go $4 million over the tax, costing him $6 million in penalties versus $2 million.

To me it's obvious that Brown cannot be brought back unless the Spurs have Barry moved already for an expiring contract. No other scenario makes sense for the Spurs financially.

timvp
09-02-2005, 01:35 PM
As it stands they're looking at being maybe $4.5-$5 million under the tax threshold for 2006-07.

They are going to need more than that to re-sign Mohammed.

ploto
09-02-2005, 01:37 PM
The threshold will take another jump next season as the % they base it on is going up again per the new CBA.

T Park
09-02-2005, 01:47 PM
I doubt Barry gets moved, so more than likely Devin is gone.

Adios Devin. Good luck in Utah.

HeatChamps
09-02-2005, 01:56 PM
Spurs really missed the boat by not resigning Devin.

Spursdaone
09-02-2005, 01:58 PM
As much as I hate to say it I agree. They need Brown to guard Wade. Finley is a terrible defender so he will get embarrased whoever he guards.

spurster
09-02-2005, 02:05 PM
No bitching allowed. Just be happy to write your check and praise the goodness of all the powers-that-be. Anything else is disloyal to your team.

More seriously, unlesss a team under the cap is willing to pick up Brent, the Spurs don't save any money by trading Brent and then matching Devin's offer. They'll spend more by whatever Devin's contract is for.

Marcus Bryant
09-02-2005, 02:07 PM

Yeah, going with Finley was a terrible move. So how does one procure a banner with the screen shot of Finley in a Heat uni?

HeatChamps
09-02-2005, 02:13 PM
i'm sure one will be available soon on EBay.

Spursdaone
09-02-2005, 02:18 PM
The Heat were lucky not to sign Finley. They should go after Damon Jones. It's not like they need him but he would make it even more an advantage of Miami over San Antonio.

2centsworth
09-02-2005, 03:03 PM
The Heat were lucky not to sign Finley. They should go after Damon Jones. It's not like they need him but he would make it even more an advantage of Miami over San Antonio.

It's to your advantage not to take score i guess. In fantasy land everyone is right, even the worst poster of all-time.

easjer
09-02-2005, 04:48 PM
Meh, I think it's a good thing for Devin to go elsewhere. I think he wants the minutes and the exposure, and the back thing is still uncertain (I know what the docs are supposedly saying). I think they made an investment in Barry for a reason, and we saw it at the end of the season. I expect that Barry will be back, and Devin can continue to mature on someone else's dime.

Barry will need to be replaced in a couple of years, and Devin's contract with Utah will be up then. The Spurs can really gauge if he's worth more money or not then. Also, imo, Devin is in a bit of a greener grass position. He's played with the winning team for two years now, but not with great minutes or exposure. Utah is not likely to be a winning team (they may make the playoffs, they may not, if they do, I don't expect miracles), but Devin will get exposure and play-time. Then he can make an informed decision about whether or not he wants to cut his minutes for more rings.

wildbill2u
09-02-2005, 04:53 PM
Unfortunately, the best thing for Devin is to go to a team where he will get more minutes than it looks like he'd get here.

Pop is gonna be pushed to see that this loaded team gets enough minutes to keep everyone sharp and happy. I know Van Exel and Finley realize now that they're on the bench--but wait til they get DNP'd a few times in Pop's murky and puzzling rotation.

Marcus Bryant
09-02-2005, 05:01 PM
One thought is that Brown could spend a year on IR in SA and take the time to rest his back and get healthy again. Then, in the following season, there just might be a rotation spot for him.

He gets paid, gets to stay in his hometown, gets the time needed to heal, and gets to remain a Spur.

Horry For 3!
09-02-2005, 11:54 PM
Hmmm I wonder if the Spurs will match....

marcus
09-03-2005, 08:01 AM
"The Jazz offered Brown a contract that calls for $2.5 million this season and a second season for slightly more money, though the second year is at the Jazz's option."

4 words - Utah's second round pick

Ghost Writer
09-03-2005, 10:34 AM
Thanks for everything, Devin. You were a fine, young swingman, but the Spurs are all about kaizen now -- continuous improvement. Maybe you can follow in the great tradition of Raja Bell with the Jazz.