PDA

View Full Version : How Tim Duncan's return next year could impact Marc Gasol

spursparker9
02-05-2015, 08:38 AM
By Matt Moore | NBA writer
February 4, 2015 1:29 pm ET

http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/visual/whatshot/marc_gasol_tim_duncan_free_agency.jpg

In an interview with USA Today, San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich says that he believes Tim Duncan won't retire after this season.

"No matter how (the season) ends, I think Timmy is going to look at (retirement) again," Popovich told USA TODAY Sports on Tuesday. "And if you ask me, my guess is that he'll go for another one because he has been so consistent this season.

"It's just consistent stuff: another double-double, over and over and over again. Because of that, I think in his mind that if it continues through the rest of the year, I think he'll say, 'I'm going to go another year and see what happens.' Because what he has told me is that the minute he feels like he's a hindrance to his team or he's not on the positive end or helping him, he's going to walk right off the court. It might be during the third quarter of a game.

"He's not going to hang on to finish a contract or make the money or have the notoriety that you know he doesn't give a (expletive) about. So the way he's playing now, he's going to look in the mirror and say, 'Hey, I'm doing all right.' "

via Gregg Popovich: Spurs (and Tim Duncan) not going away.

Duncan's not leaving until he's a "hindrance?"

So... he's going to play until he's 150? The guy would record a double-double and have a plus-10 in the box score fifteen years after he's dead.

Duncan, at age 38, is averaging 15 points, 10 rebounds (averaging a double-double at 38!) with 1.9 blocks per game and is a legitimate defensive player of the year candidate. He's still making smart decisions, still delivering huge plays, still being a monster. His minutes load is actually up this season, but at just over 30 minutes, what matters more than his-per-game numbers are how impactful he is per possession.

Read the rest on
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25038788/how-tim-duncans-return-next-year-could-impact-marc-gasol

Sigz
02-05-2015, 09:24 AM
C'mon, Marc Gasol is not coming to SA.

Cklbmk
02-05-2015, 10:07 AM
Gasol + Tim + Diaw + Splitter + Baynes would be a pretty devastating big rotation. I could see Splitter or Baynes being traded for a stretch 4 of some sort so the corpse of Bonner can become a coach

This would require Tim taking the minimum and Manu retiring. Kyle Anderson would also need to take a leap in the playoffs for us not to lose a step. I'd cream myself

BillMc
02-05-2015, 10:09 AM
Gasol will stay in Memphis. So the only thing to take from this article is Pop thinks Timmy is coming back, which I consider good news. (Though, of course, it is always better to hear it from Timmy rather than his coach's opinion.)

Thanks for posting though, good to hear Pop's words on the subject.

in2deep
02-05-2015, 10:26 AM

cantthinkofanything
02-05-2015, 10:37 AM
from a recent hypothetical interview with Gasol

Rivers: San Antonio has been mentioned as a possible landing place for you next year. What are your thoughts about playing with Tim Duncan.
Gasol: I really believe that an organization needs to have a solid point guard in place. And the Parker contract ensures that they won't for some time.

Johnny RIngo
02-05-2015, 10:59 AM
Marc's not going anywhere. He's lived in Memphis since he was a teen. It's a second home to him. They got a good coach and a nice core over there. Not sure why he'd leave all that just to play with a declining point guard in San Antonio. At this point, Mike Conley's a much better player than Tony.

Johnny RIngo
02-05-2015, 11:50 AM
I'd love to see Duncan back but he needs help. When Kareem was reaching his twilight years, he had Magic there to carry the load. Duncan isn't getting the same production from his point guard. The opposite actually with the way he had to play extensive minutes in December.

Uriel
02-05-2015, 11:58 AM
There is one plausible scenario in which I could see Gasol leaving Memphis. If the Grizzlies were to be eliminated in the first round this year, he could very well consider signing with another team. And among his list of potential suitors, no team would intrigue him quite like the greatest organization in professional sports.

baseline bum
02-05-2015, 12:05 PM
Even if you could assure me 100% of Gasol coming over I'd still take one more year of Duncan instead.

look_at_g_shred
02-05-2015, 12:24 PM
There is one plausible scenario in which I could see Gasol leaving Memphis. If the Grizzlies were to be eliminated in the first round this year, he could very well consider signing with another team. And among his list of potential suitors, no team would intrigue him quite like the greatest organization in professional sports.
We thought the same about Pau tbh

Chinook
02-05-2015, 02:24 PM
We thought the same about Pau tbh

If Gasol had one more year on his last contract, I'd say it would be a virtual lock that he'd be a Spur next year.

dabom
02-05-2015, 02:31 PM
from a recent hypothetical interview with Gasol

Rivers: San Antonio has been mentioned as a possible landing place for you next year. What are your thoughts about playing with Tim Duncan.
Gasol: I really believe that an organization needs to have a solid point guard in place. And the Parker contract ensures that they won't for some time.

:lmao

dbreiden83080
02-05-2015, 06:23 PM

Who cares if he does? He's not a franchise level guy..

spurraider21
02-05-2015, 06:38 PM
Duncan wants to come back another year? If it's for the veterans minimum, why not?

Das Texan
02-05-2015, 06:41 PM
Even if you could assure me 100% of Gasol coming over I'd still take one more year of Duncan instead.

co-sign

Mel_13
02-05-2015, 07:01 PM
Tim Duncan's return, or retiremnet, will have no impact on Marc Gasol.

heyheymymy
02-05-2015, 07:38 PM
Duncan, at age 38, is averaging 15 points, 10 rebounds (averaging a double-double at 38!) with 1.9 blocks per game and is a legitimate defensive player of the year candidate. He's still making smart decisions, still delivering huge plays, still being a monster. His minutes load is actually up this season, but at just over 30 minutes, what matters more than his-per-game numbers are how impactful he is per possession.

Why are people telling me in other sports discussions that Duncans age shouldn't be cited as why his stat are impressive enough to make it to the all star game? They'll say "sure its impressive but his age has nothing to do with it" and "it's not the other players fault they aren't 38 years old"

That's a bad take right? 10/15 is only impressive because he is doing it at 38 in a league of youth 10 years younger.

Godbama
02-05-2015, 07:41 PM

co-sign
:(

mystargtr34
02-05-2015, 09:27 PM
If Marc Gasol actually does decide he wants to come to SA... Tim staying on for another year will probably make him even more likely to sign here imo.. and the Spurs will bend over backwards to sign him.

Thats if he does decide he wants to come here.. which i don't think he will.. but you never know.

Mugen
02-05-2015, 09:31 PM
Give me 40yo Timmy over the Fat Gasol any day tbh....

mystargtr34
02-05-2015, 09:47 PM

:lol agree.. but i'd take Fatsol over what's gonna come after Tim leaves :lol.

Uriel
02-05-2015, 11:03 PM
If Gasol had one more year on his last contract, I'd say it would be a virtual lock that he'd be a Spur next year.

Tim Duncan's return, or retiremnet, will have no impact on Marc Gasol.
What makes you say that?

T Park
02-06-2015, 12:44 AM

I mean, he just dropped 26 and 10. At 38.............

romain.star
02-06-2015, 06:20 AM

Duncan is ageing like the finest French wine but you are being a homer here

100%duncan
02-06-2015, 07:00 AM

Yeah. Timmy don't retire pls I cant imagine the shit we'll go through :cry

Mel_13
02-06-2015, 07:47 AM
What makes you say that?

Gasol will get a max offer from Memphis and he'll sign it. Whether or not Duncan returns next year won't have any impact on Gasol. Same goes for Aldridge.

Chinook
02-06-2015, 08:05 AM
What makes you say that?

I'm saying Pau's a Spur if he's a FA when the team has money. Mel is saying Marc wasn't going to be a Spur no matter what.

Mugen
02-06-2015, 11:56 AM
Duncan is ageing like the finest French wine but you are being a homer here

If we're talking the next 5 years, then i'll take Fat Gasol. If the goal is to win a championship in 2016, I want the best player of his generation and the guy who's put this franchise on his back for the last 19 seasons.

Maybe it's being a homer but I think the Spurs have a better chance of ringing with Duncan in the middle, until proven otherwise tbh.