PDA

View Full Version : Say you have $1.7 mil in cap room today...

Marcus Bryant
09-02-2005, 09:30 AM
...and you're the Spurs. What do you do? Maybe they could find a Stephen Jackson-type project to acquire.

Rodney White, anyone?

SWC Bonfire
09-02-2005, 09:33 AM
Blow it all on booze, gambling and women. Then waste the rest.

mcdunk
09-02-2005, 09:34 AM
The Spurs dont have any more room under the luxury tax threshold. With the recent signings and making the assumption that Horry will make $2.2 million this season the Spurs team salary is right at the cutoff of $61.7 million.

Marcus Bryant
09-02-2005, 09:37 AM
Who cares about the lux tax? I don't. These next 2 to 3 seasons are the Spurs' prime time to win more championships. If it costs them a little in foregone lux tax distributions to keep adding talent to this team, sobeit. Shit, they just landed a Michael Finley for $2.5 mil a season.

mcdunk
09-02-2005, 09:41 AM
Who cares about the lux tax? I don't. These next 2 to 3 seasons are the Spurs' prime time to win more championships. If it costs them a little in foregone lux tax distributions to keep adding talent to this team, sobeit.
I have a feeling the Spurs FO does. If they dont then we are not limited to $1.7 when it comes to Devin , we can match any offer Devin receives. If the Spurs are going to pay tax for any player to fit with this roster I think it should be Devin. With Bowen, Finley, Barry, NVE there may be an age/injury problem throughout the season and a healthy Devin would be a nice addition.

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-02-2005, 09:44 AM
I have a feeling the Spurs FO does. If they dont then we are not limited to $1.7 when it comes to Devin , we can match any offer Devin receives. If the Spurs are going to pay tax for any player to fit with this roster I think it should be Devin. With Bowen, Finley, Barry, NVE there may be an age/injury problem throughout the season and a healthy Devin would be a nice addition.

While it would be nice to have a younger set of legs in the swingman rotation, I think the length of that list is the remedy to the age problem. With a rotation that talented and deep no one of those guys will have to shoulder monster minutes on any given night.

SWC Bonfire
09-02-2005, 09:45 AM
Practice players. Get people that make the team better, and can fill spots in a pinch. Sean Marks was one of those people.

Marcus Bryant
09-02-2005, 09:46 AM
I wasn't referring to Devin since he's an Early Bird FA.

Yeah, perhaps ownership shouldn't be so concerned about the lux tax. How many owners in this league would kill to pay for the Spurs' payroll and management right about now? Holt Cat needs to unclench.

mcdunk
09-02-2005, 09:53 AM
While it would be nice to have a younger set of legs in the swingman rotation, I think the length of that list is the remedy to the age problem. With a rotation that talented and deep no one of those guys will have to shoulder monster minutes on any given night.
The discussion is about adding another player so if the Spurs add a min rookie contract versus Devins contract they will pay the same $3million in tax. The only difference would be the contract difference. I think the Spurs will add one more player and carry 14 players in which the NBA has requested to be the league average roster amount.

Marcus Bryant
09-02-2005, 10:42 AM
Free Agents still available

Rodney White
Matt Barnes
Willie Green
Keith McLeod
Anthony Peeler
Jason Kapono

Kori Ellis
09-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Drobnjak signed with Tau. McLeon looks to be signing with the Raptors.

They'll probably just invite a few guys to training camp and if one pans out, give them to minimum. I don't think that they'll spend the MLE.

Marcus Bryant
09-02-2005, 10:47 AM
Andrew DeClercq
Theron Smith

waly.mg
09-02-2005, 11:04 AM
If you are under the Luxury tax threshold, you receive part of the taxes that pay the others teams

So if you are a little under the tax, it may be a 3 millions of diference

Marcus Bryant
09-02-2005, 11:10 AM
If you are under the Luxury tax threshold, you receive part of the taxes that pay the others teams

...and if you are over, you will also continue to receive those distributions, net of the taxes you pay.

So if you are a little under the tax, it may be a 3 millions of diference

True, assuming the Spurs go over the threshold by $3 mil, but the Spurs would continue to receive the distributions, as I understand the terms of the new CBA.

timvp
09-02-2005, 11:13 AM
Theron Smith and Willie Green are two players that would be awesome to fill the roster out with. Green tore up his knee so he could be brought in cheaply, I would think. Smith is still flying under the radar, but he'd be a defensive monster in the Spurs system.

Marcus Bryant
09-02-2005, 11:20 AM
Both seem like good candidates to bring in and work with while on IR for a season.

ChumpDumper
09-02-2005, 11:33 AM
If the Sixers don't rescind their QO, we'd have to make Green a multi-year offer. Seems too risky.

Marcus Bryant
09-02-2005, 11:38 AM
Since most teams have their LLE left and some of those guys are at least Early Bird free agents, it may be difficult to land them. But there has to be a young guy out there worth bringing on board at $1.7 mil or less for a season or two.

ChumpDumper
09-02-2005, 11:40 AM
I don't think the Spurs will spend more than the minimum on an IR player.

Marcus Bryant
09-02-2005, 11:50 AM
If they really hold an interest in a Barnes, for example, they might as well try to bring him in now and groom him for when Finley and NVE leave.

ChumpDumper
09-02-2005, 12:36 PM
True -- but they could likely get him for a minimum + option deal.

JUUOT
09-02-2005, 01:53 PM
finley 32 barry 33 bowen 34

i am for barnes or smith to join now. smith would be nice if no one is traded to stay on IR this year and enter rotation only next season.
barnes would be a good solution if one is traded being able to play correct limited minutes.

HeatChamps
09-02-2005, 01:54 PM
...and you're the Spurs. What do you do? Maybe they could find a Stephen Jackson-type project to acquire.

Rodney White, anyone?
Just what the spurs locker room needs. Rodney White and NVE to fight with the coaching staff.

Marcus Bryant
09-02-2005, 01:57 PM
...or perhaps they come to Texas and play to win.

HeatChamps
09-02-2005, 01:59 PM
...or perhaps he goes to where he'll get some real PT, and the chance to get a big contract down the line..

Spursdaone
09-02-2005, 02:00 PM
Or a team like the Heat that have a real center

Marcus Bryant
09-02-2005, 02:05 PM
...just like Stephen Jackson did back in 2001, right?

HeatChamps
09-02-2005, 02:09 PM
...just like Stephen Jackson did back in 2001, right?
not really considering this team is about as deep as you can get. he won't even have a shot in 2 years. The only person in from the SJax was Steven Smith's old ass. The light was at the end of the tunnel. The Tunnel is caved in right now if White were to sign with these spurs.

Marcus Bryant
09-02-2005, 02:14 PM
You realize that Jack spent virtually the entire season on IR in 2001-02, do you not?

HeatChamps
09-02-2005, 02:16 PM
You realize that Jack spent virtually the entire season on IR in 2001-02, do you not?
I do realize that. And I also realize he wasn't sitting behind Manu, Bruce, Finley, and Berry on the wings. You are the biggest fucking homer I've ever seen on a board dude. I hate you as much as I have hated someone in my enitre life. It is because of you that I will never post on this site again. Are you happy now?

Marcus Bryant
09-02-2005, 02:19 PM
I do realize that. And I also realize he wasn't sitting behind Manu, Bruce, Finley, and Berry on the wings. You are the biggest fucking homer I've ever seen on a board dude. I hate you as much as I have hated someone in my enitre life. It is because of you that I will never post on this site again. Are you happy now?

My my, someone has a temper. :)

TheTruth
09-02-2005, 02:22 PM
FUCKING CLASSIC!!!

TDMVPDPOY
09-02-2005, 03:22 PM
1.7mill in cap room, probaly spend it on vbookie :D:D

CubanMustGo
09-02-2005, 03:47 PM
It is because of you that I will never post on this site again. Are you happy now?

http://www.samliquidation.com/crybaby_pic.jpg

Mark Cuban, is that you??

ChumpDumper
09-02-2005, 04:02 PM
It is because of you that I will never post on this site again. Are you happy now?I can't speak for MB, but I sure am happy now.

TOP-CHERRY
09-02-2005, 04:29 PM
Oh crap; how did MB do that?!

:lol

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
09-02-2005, 06:02 PM

Nice. Keep up the good work MB! :lol

exstatic
09-02-2005, 06:34 PM
:lol Instant classic.

I think that if the Spur bring in anyone, it will be for minimum. Kori, can you verify something I've read? That minimum salaries won't count for the tax figure?

ShoogarBear
09-02-2005, 07:23 PM
I'd get another big body. I keep hearing rumblings about trading Rasho, but if we do, that would make us thin on true centers.

mattyc
09-02-2005, 10:38 PM
I'd take a Matt Barnes, Willie Green or even Jason Kapono.

mattyc
09-02-2005, 10:43 PM
What are Britton Johnson or Andre Barrett up to?

tophy7
09-03-2005, 12:40 AM

Then you log off for good on your heatchamps name and log back in as spursdaone

xcoriate
09-03-2005, 01:01 AM
Demarr Johnson

Kori Ellis
09-03-2005, 01:17 AM
Demarr Johnson

Re-signed in Denver.

xcoriate
09-03-2005, 01:51 AM
Oh, that sucks.

I was really hoping we'd pick him up. Long, can hit the three, similar body type to bruce. Would have been perfeect :(