PDA

View Full Version : Rank these Finals MVPs

Splits
02-05-2015, 11:25 PM
At the PG position for their overall body of work, not an individual series. There haven't been many, it is an elite club of very few. Every one of these players is/will be in the HoF.

In chronological order (repeat offenders only mentioned on their first fMVP):

1976 -- JoJo White, Boston
Averaged 21.7 points, 4.3 rebounds and 5.8 assists while shooting .878 from the foul line in the Celtics’ 4-2 victory over the Phoenix Suns

1979 -- Dennis Johnson, Seattle
Averaged 18.8 points, 5.5 rebounds, 3.6 assists and 1.5 steals per game in the Sonics’ 4-1 victory over the Washington Bullets.

1980 -- Magic Johnson, Los Angeles
Averaged 21.5 points, 11.1 rebounds, 8.7 assists and 2.7 steals per game in the Lakers’ 4-2 victory over the Philadelphia 76ers

1990 -- Isiah Thomas, Detroit
Led all players in the NBA Finals with 27.6 points and 7.0 assists per game as the Pistons defeated the Portland Trail Blazers, 4-1, to win their second consecutive NBA title.

2004 -- Chauncey Billups, Detroit
Averaged 21 points and 5.2 assists to lead the Pistons to a 4-1 victorwy over the Los Angeles Lakers. Billups shot 51% from the field and 93% from the foul line for the series.

2007 -- Tony Parker, San Antonio Spurs
The 6-foot-2 Parker shot an astounding 42-for-74 (.568) from the field and averaged 24.5 points in the Spurs' four-game sweep of the Cleveland Cavaliers. The 25-year-old Frenchman became the first European-born NBA Finals MVP.

My rankings:
1) Magic
2) Tony Parker
3) Isiah
4) DJ
5) Chauncey
6) JoJo White

Amazing that only 6 PGs have ever won fMVP, only 1 active player, and we are so privileged as an NBA fan base to watch one of the all-time greats take the floor night in and night out, despite his recent struggles.

EDIT: JoJo White is not in the HoF

EDIT: Corrected DJ's stats

scanry
02-05-2015, 11:35 PM
Magic
Isiah
Dennis Johnson
Parker
Billups
JoJo White

BTW the Dennis Johnson stats are incorrect.

Splits
02-05-2015, 11:39 PM
BTW the Dennis Johnson stats are incorrect.

Thx, fixed.

Splits
02-05-2015, 11:47 PM
Magic
Isiah
Dennis Johnson
Parker
Billups
JoJo White

I can't put Isiah over TP due to ring count. If it was 4 to 3, then maybe, but 4 to 2 is too much in Tony's favor.

DJ has 3 rings, but his impact on those Celtic chips is debatable. He wasn't a top-3 option in 84 or 86 with Bird, Parish, McHale, Maxwell, and Ainge

ElNono
02-06-2015, 12:06 AM
Difficult topic, tbh... I haven't seen Dennis Johnson or JoJo White play, so it's though to rate them.

It's also extremely difficult at this specific point in time to talk about Tony's Finals performances over the years, except for 2007, without coming across as some sort of hater, so I'm just going to pass for now.

scanry
02-06-2015, 12:20 AM
Difficult topic, tbh... I haven't seen Dennis Johnson or JoJo White play, so it's though to rate them.

It's also extremely difficult at this specific point in time to talk about Tony's Finals performances over the years, except for 2007, without coming across as some sort of hater, so I'm just going to pass for now.

Let me chip in.

2003 - Bailed out by Claxton
2005 - Hamilton & Billups took turns at the rag doll.
2007 - Pop saw a mismatch and Parker outplayed the opposing PG (Gibson).
2013 - Got outplayed by Chalmers.
2014 - Bailed out by Paddy.

FkLA
02-06-2015, 12:31 AM
Wait you are talking about careers and not their performance when they won FMVP? You actually think Enrique has had a better career than Isiah? http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/sabu.png

Sean Cagney
02-06-2015, 12:45 AM
Wait you are talking about careers and not their performance when they won FMVP? You actually think Enrique has had a better career than Isiah? http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/sabu.png

^^^^^^ This. Even in the year Isiah won the finals MVP against Portland his numbers were better than Tony's so the finals series he was better as well. Isiah is on a different level than Parker, sorry OP but I disagree fully there.

Magic and then Isiah >>> The rest IMO.

Silver&Black
02-06-2015, 12:48 AM
Magic
Isiah

l
l
l
l
l Then go a long way down
l
l
l
l
V

The other four

apalisoc_9
02-06-2015, 12:50 AM

:lol

spursparker9
02-06-2015, 01:02 AM
1. Magic
2. Thomas
3. Billups
4. Parker

the rest who I don't know

Sean Cagney
02-06-2015, 02:27 AM
Magic
Isiah

l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
V

The other four

Yep, I said that above as well.. Those two and the rest is not even CLOSE IMO, don't scratch the surface.

HI-FI
02-06-2015, 02:47 AM
Let me chip in.

2003 - Bailed out by Claxton
2005 - Hamilton & Billups took turns at the rag doll.
2007 - Pop saw a mismatch and Parker outplayed the opposing PG (Gibson).
2013 - Got outplayed by Chalmers.
2014 - Bailed out by Paddy.
succinct and accurate.

Russo21
02-06-2015, 05:16 AM
lol Magic Johnson 21.5 points, 11.1 rebounds, 8.7 assists and 2.7 steals. That's a nasty finals performance.

dbreiden83080
02-06-2015, 06:55 AM
I can't put Isiah over TP due to ring count. If it was 4 to 3, then maybe, but 4 to 2 is too much in Tony's favor.

DJ has 3 rings, but his impact on those Celtic chips is debatable. He wasn't a top-3 option in 84 or 86 with Bird, Parish, McHale, Maxwell, and Ainge

Dude Isiah shits on Tony.. The Pistons were almost a team of role players past Dumars and he led them to back to back chips over Bird and Magic..

Mel_13
02-06-2015, 07:49 AM
Magic
Isiah

l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
V

The other four

cantthinkofanything
02-06-2015, 09:31 AM
Dude Isiah shits on Tony.. The Pistons were almost a team of role players past Dumars and he led them to back to back chips over Bird and Magic..

absolutely. and all that kissing Magic Johnson and fucking up the Knicks aside...he was tough on the court.

those Pistons lineups look so average.

that being said, I think Magic fucked up his finger in one of those finals and was out. but still, that Pistons lineup on paper didn't look like they'd stand a chance.

Phenomanul
02-06-2015, 12:23 PM

Don't fully buy that...

Dennis Rodman... King rebounder and great post-defender when motivated (those years, he absolutely was)...
Bill Lambeier... King henchman
Scott Hastings
Mark Aguire...
John Salley...

Made for a legit, versatile, strong and multi-faceted front-court...

hater
02-06-2015, 12:26 PM
Magic
Isiah
Parker

l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
V

The other three

FIFY

FkLA
02-06-2015, 12:29 PM
Still can't believe this nigga put Enrique over Isiah.

Is OP mentally retarded or something? :lol

Silver&Black
02-06-2015, 12:41 PM
FIFY

Listen hater.....

Just like you....I love me some Tony Parker. I hope the guy gets it figured out quickly. But to put him in the same sentence as Magic and Isiah is just preposterous....

hater
02-06-2015, 01:05 PM
Listen hater.....

Just like you....I love me some Tony Parker. I hope the guy gets it figured out quickly. But to put him in the same sentence as Magic and Isiah is just preposterous....

He ranks third that's where I put him. He's been top 3 PGs for about half a decade.

spurs10
02-06-2015, 01:22 PM
Difficult topic, tbh... I haven't seen Dennis Johnson or JoJo White play, so it's though to rate them. It's also extremely difficult at this specific point in time to talk about Tony's Finals performances over the years, except for 2007, without coming across as some sort of hater, so I'm just going to pass for now. I always find it interesting when people who are fans of a team want to throw their players under the bus. Having excluded 2007 you avoided this and I don't believe you come across as a hater. In 2007 he won the MVP in perhaps the most boring Finals ever. Tony out played Gibson in an embarrassing fashion. That's what he was supposed to do. I've wondered if Tony hasn't been disappointed that he is no longer "the Man" after that incredible experience. Scanry is about right in his assessment...BUT he won the MVP...over Duncan.....over Manu. Just because he so dominated Gibson doesn't lessen the largeness of being the Finals MVP. We beat the Heat even worse on paper. Maybe TP is tired of being out of gas come the playoffs and keeping something n the tank?

cjw
02-06-2015, 01:27 PM

Had Isaiah not sprained his ankle, it'd probably be 4-3. Had 6 not happened, it'd be 5-2.

ChumpDumper
02-06-2015, 01:34 PM
Has a group of fans ever hated a future hall of famer on their team so much before?

hater
02-06-2015, 01:49 PM
Has a group of fans ever hated a future hall of famer on their team so much before?

Lakerfans loathed Gasol tbh

:lol short bus = lakerfans

Silver&Black
02-06-2015, 02:28 PM
He ranks third that's where I put him. He's been top 3 PGs for about half a decade.

I would put Parker 3rd on this list also.....but the point of my 1st post is this:

All 6 are great....hell they're all Finals MVPs. But Magic and Isiah are in a totally different category than the rest. IMO Magic is the 2nd greatest player of all time....and Isiah is on the "50 Greatest Players of All Time" list. Parker....even with as much as I love the guy....isn't nowhere near that list. :cry

hater
02-06-2015, 02:35 PM
I would put Parker 3rd on this list also.....but the point of my 1st post is this:

All 6 are great....hell they're all Finals MVPs. But Magic and Isiah are in a totally different category than the rest. IMO Magic is the 2nd greatest player of all time....and Isiah is on the "50 Greatest Players of All Time" list. Parker....even with as much as I love the guy....isn't nowhere near that list. :cry

IMO Magic is top 10 GOAT

that "50 greates players of all time" is meaningless. that shit was done over 15 years ago I believe. I can't believe ppl still use that list

only 3 guys in that list are First Ballot HOFers and I listed them at the top. The rest are miles behind

Silver&Black
02-06-2015, 02:43 PM
IMO Magic is top 10 GOAT

that "50 greates players of all time" is meaningless. that shit was done over 15 years ago I believe. I can't believe ppl still use that list

only 3 guys in that list are First Ballot HOFers and I listed them at the top. The rest are miles behind

Listen dude....you might not think it now. But I'm on your side. I love Tony Parker....I'm a parkertard like you.

But I cannot compare Magic and Isiah to Tony Parker.....I just can't do it. I've watched all 3 play in their primes. Magic (for sure....no doubt) and Isiah were on a completely different level.

When you think of the Spurs' success....who comes to mind first? Tim Duncan is the only acceptable answer to the question.....
When you think of the Bad Boys' success....who comes to mind first? It's Isiah Thomas......

One last thing...you've got Magic as a "top 10 GOAT". Isn't that a little low? He's top 5 for sure. And IMO he's only behind Jordan.

hater
02-06-2015, 03:07 PM
Listen dude....you might not think it now. But I'm on your side. I love Tony Parker....I'm a parkertard like you.

But I cannot compare Magic and Isiah to Tony Parker.....I just can't do it. I've watched all 3 play in their primes. Magic (for sure....no doubt) and Isiah were on a completely different level.

When you think of the Spurs' success....who comes to mind first? Tim Duncan is the only acceptable answer to the question.....
When you think of the Bad Boys' success....who comes to mind first? It's Isiah Thomas......

One last thing...you've got Magic as a "top 10 GOAT". Isn't that a little low? He's top 5 for sure. And IMO he's only behind Jordan.

I have Jordan, Lebron, Wilt, Duncan and Kareem ahead of him tbh. Had his career not been cut short by the "bug" we might be having a different conversation.

I never compared them. Magic is clearly better than Isiah and Isiah is clearly better than Parker. And all 3 are miles ahead the rest in that list

The Detroit team was stacked tbh, just like Tony's Spurs.

it's ok dude, we don't have to agree :tu

Silver&Black
02-06-2015, 03:19 PM
I have Jordan, Lebron, Wilt, Duncan and Kareem ahead of him tbh. Had his career not been cut short by the "bug" we might be having a different conversation.

I never compared them. Magic is clearly better than Isiah and Isiah is clearly better than Parker.

:lmao The "bug"

I agree that the Pistons team was stacked. Isiah, Rodman, Laimbeer, Dumars, The Microwave....Damn.

Keep fighting the good fight buddy. Hopefully, Parker will get it turned around and help this franchise get 6....and you'll have the last laugh.

Hater......

My nigga :tu

Johnny RIngo
02-06-2015, 03:21 PM
1. Magic
2. Thomas
3. Billups
4. Parker

the rest who I don't know

My rankings are the same. Parker has no argument over Magic/Isaiah. TP/Billups is close but I side with Chauncey. He destroyed Tony in the Finals and actually is a pretty respectable playoff performer while Tony chokes in the post-season.

hater
02-06-2015, 03:21 PM
:lmao The "bug"

I agree that the Pistons team was stacked. Isiah, Rodman, Laimbeer, Dumars, The Microwave....Damn.

Keep fighting the good fight buddy. Hopefully, Parker will get it turned around and help this franchise get 6....and you'll have the last laugh.

Hater......

My nigga :tu

http://chan.catiewayne.com/c/src/139433287559.gif

ohmwrecker
02-06-2015, 03:36 PM
1 Magic
2 Zeke
3 TP
4 Chauncey
5 DJ
6 JoJo

cantthinkofanything
02-06-2015, 03:51 PM

I never compared them. Magic is clearly better than Isiah and Isiah is clearly better than Parker. And all 3 are miles ahead the rest in that list

You HAVE to be trolling putting Lebron ahead of Magic.

Sean Cagney
02-06-2015, 03:59 PM

Should have been 3 in a row honestly if not for a Phantom call that gave LA the title, he should have three peated. Isiah was nasty, one of the best PG's ever. I still laugh someone thinks Tony has had the better career because of rings. Gary Payton only has one ring so I guess he thinks Tony is better as well?
My rankings are the same. Parker has no argument over Magic/Isaiah. TP/Billups is close but I side with Chauncey. He destroyed Tony in the Finals and actually is a pretty respectable playoff performer while Tony chokes in the post-season.

Thank GOD for Brent Barry because Billups made Parker a little baby in those finals and wilt up and ruined Benos confidence for years as well, single handedly crushed his confidence! Barry had to come in and clean up the work, without him that year the Spurs do not win the finals to say the least.

FkLA
02-06-2015, 04:09 PM
I really doubt Enrique is first ballot. Not even trolling. I don't think he was ever held in that high regard nationally despite riding Timmy/Manu to four rings.

in2deep
02-06-2015, 04:12 PM
1. Magic
2. Isiah
3. TP

Seventyniner
02-06-2015, 04:18 PM
I really doubt Enrique is first ballot. Not even trolling. I don't think he was ever held in that high regard nationally despite riding Timmy/Manu to four rings.

Disagree. How many players have ever won 4 titles and a FMVP award? I would bet (without looking) that all of them were or will be first ballot.

Parker could very well be the worst player on that list, though.

FkLA
02-06-2015, 04:28 PM
Disagree. How many players have ever won 4 titles and a FMVP award? I would bet (without looking) that all of them were or will be first ballot.

Parker could very well be the worst player on that list, though.

Even then most people held guys like CP3/Deron in higher regard. Then the younger crop of PGs came in and took over. Enrique only had like a year or two where he had a legit argument as the best PG in the game.

Johnny RIngo
02-06-2015, 05:52 PM
Thank GOD for Brent Barry because Billups made Parker a little baby in those finals and wilt up and ruined Benos confidence for years as well, single handedly crushed his confidence! Barry had to come in and clean up the work, without him that year the Spurs do not win the finals to say the least.

Don't forget Horry - he was the Spurs 3rd best player in that series after Duncan/Manu. And yeah, Tony wilted big-time against Chauncey. Got handily outplayed by him:

http://s5.postimg.org/wf0cr3s0n/Parker_Billups_2005_Finals.png

ElNono
02-06-2015, 07:08 PM
I always find it interesting when people who are fans of a team want to throw their players under the bus. Having excluded 2007 you avoided this and I don't believe you come across as a hater. In 2007 he won the MVP in perhaps the most boring Finals ever. Tony out played Gibson in an embarrassing fashion. That's what he was supposed to do. I've wondered if Tony hasn't been disappointed that he is no longer "the Man" after that incredible experience. Scanry is about right in his assessment...BUT he won the MVP...over Duncan.....over Manu. Just because he so dominated Gibson doesn't lessen the largeness of being the Finals MVP. We beat the Heat even worse on paper. Maybe TP is tired of being out of gas come the playoffs and keeping something n the tank?

He won it fair and square in 2007, I never held Gibson against him. Even if realistically it was an easier matchup, you still gotta go out there and perform at the highest level, and he did. He really shined.

Now, when you're talking Magic or Isiah, we're on a different conversation altogether, IMO. You're talking head of the snake, leading teams to multiple Finals, beating Bird, Jordan along the way, clean sweep of the Showtime Lakers...

Hoops Czar
02-06-2015, 07:25 PM
I always find it interesting when people who are fans of a team want to throw their players under the bus. Having excluded 2007 you avoided this and I don't believe you come across as a hater. In 2007 he won the MVP in perhaps the most boring Finals ever. Tony out played Gibson in an embarrassing fashion. That's what he was supposed to do. I've wondered if Tony hasn't been disappointed that he is no longer "the Man" after that incredible experience. Scanry is about right in his assessment...BUT he won the MVP...over Duncan.....over Manu. Just because he so dominated Gibson doesn't lessen the largeness of being the Finals MVP. We beat the Heat even worse on paper. Maybe TP is tired of being out of gas come the playoffs and keeping something n the tank?

You know what's sad? Posters who think last year's Miami Finals team was better than the 2007 Cavs Finals team. Name recognition will do that for you.

barbacoataco
02-06-2015, 07:55 PM
Reading through these posts some people are clearly irrational, confused or just trolling. Hard to compare. I always liked Billups but I think Parker has had a more consistent career. Isaiah Thomas was considered a top 2-3 player in the NBA but he didn't last that long. Parker has looked like a MVP caliber player, but at his best he was more like a top 5-8 player.

barbacoataco
02-06-2015, 08:06 PM
In the 2005 series Parker played well enough for the Spurs to win. It was a terrible matchup for him because the Wallace's made it impossible to drive to the basket. That 2004-5 Pistons were a great defensive team. After that series Parker added the mid-range jumper and became a more complete player.

This whole thing that the Spurs "system" makes players like Parker, Ginobili or whoever loom better than they are, drives me crazy.

The players are the system.

If you could put any player in the system and have success, why did the Dick Jefferson era turn out the way it did? Why didn't Keith Bogans turn into Bowen? Because they sucked.

Agloco
02-06-2015, 09:23 PM

This.

barbacoataco
02-06-2015, 09:38 PM
I don't think it's a real group of fans, just a couple of mouth-breathing trolls.

DMC
02-06-2015, 10:55 PM
Magic
.Isiah
Parker
Billups
meh
meh
meh

Sean Cagney
02-06-2015, 11:23 PM
Don't forget Horry - he was the Spurs 3rd best player in that series after Duncan/Manu. And yeah, Tony wilted big-time against Chauncey. Got handily outplayed by him:

http://s5.postimg.org/wf0cr3s0n/Parker_Billups_2005_Finals.png
I will never forget Horry in that series man, I meant as the PG when Tony wilted and Beno lost all his confidence. Barry was the man who ran the PG at the end of games alot or spelled the scared PG's we had.

Pauleta14
02-07-2015, 12:32 AM
Magic
.Isiah
Parker
Billups
meh
meh
meh

:toast