PDA

View Full Version : TurboTax halts e-filing for state returns due to fraud, stealing of refunds

ElNono
02-06-2015, 07:24 PM
Intuit, the parent company of TurboTax, has stopped e-filing all state tax returns (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/turbotax-halts-e-filing-of-state-tax-returns-due-to-potential-fraud-2015-02-06?reflink=MW_GoogleNews) due to increased suspicion of fraud. The company says it is investigating criminal attempts to use stolen data to file fraudulent returns and claim refunds, after hearing concerns from a handful of states, Intuit spokeswoman Diane Carlini told MarketWatch. After a preliminary examination with security experts, Intuit believes its systems weren't breached, but crooks may have used TurboTax software to file fraudulent returns after stealing identities, she said. Intuit said in a release that "the information used to file fraudulent returns was obtained from other sources outside the tax preparation process." The company called pausing e-filings to states a "precautionary step." Utah, the first state to reach out to Intuit, issued a notice Thursday saying the state tax commission has discovered 28 fraud attempts that "originate from data compromised through a third-party commercial tax preparation software process," as well as 8,000 returns flagged as potentially fraudulent.

DarrinS
02-06-2015, 08:15 PM
No state income tax here

pgardn
02-06-2015, 09:20 PM
No state income tax here

Very high property tax instead.

TeyshaBlue
02-06-2015, 09:58 PM
Ive lived in both situations...on balance I much prefer escalated property taxes.

Th'Pusher
02-06-2015, 10:18 PM
Ive lived in both situations...on balance I much prefer escalated property taxes.

What's the difference?

TeyshaBlue
02-06-2015, 11:25 PM
For starters I can deduct my property taxes. I don't know about every state but I never could do that filing state taxes in Colorado.

Th'Pusher
02-06-2015, 11:41 PM
For starters I can deduct my property taxes. I don't know about every state but I never could do that filing state taxes in Colorado.
Ok. Any difference in the way the tax is ultimately distributed?

TeyshaBlue
02-07-2015, 12:03 AM
Not that I could tell tbh.