PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan-"Basketball is what I know."

tim_duncan_fan
02-06-2015, 11:37 PM
He confirmed tonight that he wants to be involved with the game when he's done playing.

He's NEVER leaving! :flag:

KL2
02-06-2015, 11:54 PM
Duncan seems like a dude that just wants to chill, don't know what his job would be.

lefty
02-06-2015, 11:56 PM
He also knows cucking

SpurPadre
02-06-2015, 11:57 PM
Next Spurs coach?

HI-FI
02-07-2015, 12:06 AM
honestly one of the best things I heard in awhile. part of me would be happy with TD still playing even if he was a broken down old fart. but i had believed like others that he would be some JD Salinger type when it was said and done, which bummed me out.

So great news imho that he'll still be involved. made my week.

hater
02-07-2015, 12:09 AM
Awesome stuff. He is staying around IMO.

Player coach next season

SpurPadre
02-07-2015, 12:10 AM
Awesome stuff. He is staying around IMO.

Player coach next season

I'm calling it, he's gonna be Pop's chosen successor.

lefty
02-07-2015, 12:18 AM
I'm calling it, he's gonna be Pop's chosen successor.
lol no

SpurPadre
02-07-2015, 12:19 AM
lol no

If Kidd can do it, why not Timmy? And who would you prefer, Boylen? Hammon? LOL.

BatManu20
02-07-2015, 12:20 AM
Old news tbh. That interview was released a week ago.

I could see Timmy in a Hakeem-like role, only a little more involved. Where he's a part-time assistant coach who helps coach the bigs in practice and only attends home games. Still collects a nice pay check and doesn't have to travel with the team. Win-win for him.

hater
02-07-2015, 12:24 AM
If Kidd can do it, why not Timmy? And who would you prefer, Boylen? Hammon? LOL.

Duncan would never rush to a head coach position like Kidd did. At least not in the spurs.

But he could join the coaching staff as soon as next year

daslicer
02-07-2015, 12:27 AM
As much as I like Duncan I can't picture him as a head coach. He is smart but its still hard to picture him as a head coach. I just wonder how he would discipline guys.

Spurs 4 The Win
02-07-2015, 12:35 AM
As much as I like Duncan I can't picture him as a head coach. He is smart but its still hard to picture him as a head coach. I just wonder how he would discipline guys.

Please let him never be our head coach, I would hate to see him do poorly and get forced out or worse. Its just a bad situation if he doesnt succeed. Front office would be a good fit for him. or assistant.

SnakeBoy
02-07-2015, 12:38 AM

I can see him as a head coach. I can also see him getting fined every game for not wearing the proper attire.

lefty
02-07-2015, 12:39 AM
I cant picture him as a coach tbh :lol

it would be weird tbh :lol

:lol Coach Cuckan

Strange Love
02-07-2015, 12:42 AM
Dont know if he planned to do this before being played for 20 mils. Dude must be hurting more than we know.

HI-FI
02-07-2015, 12:42 AM
i can't see him as a HC because of the grind and his kids' age. like batmanu said above, i could see him as a part owner/hakeem type role.

tim_duncan_fan
02-07-2015, 12:44 AM
Tim isn't anywhere close to being demonstrative or vocal enough to lead a team as a coach. He's too timid for that, BUT maybe he's the next R.C. Buford?

SnakeBoy
02-07-2015, 12:48 AM
Tim isn't anywhere close to being demonstrative or vocal enough to lead a team as a coach. He's too timid for that, BUT maybe he's the next R.C. Buford?

His players would be terrified of getting "The Look" tbh

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/002/925/046/aa46024c56531fe70f5399aefe689a33_crop_north.jpg?w= 759&h=506&q=75

Cane
02-07-2015, 01:15 AM
Coach Duncan, tbh if mchale can get a contract then so can duncan; spurs can also pay him back :married::

http://photos.sacurrent.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/tim-duncan-coach-o.gif

DMC
02-07-2015, 01:25 AM
Tim will work with bigs in the paint to teach them positioning, fundamentals and footwork. Why not, he's "The Big Fundamental".

Juggity
02-07-2015, 01:42 AM

That was true in 1999 or 2003, but tbh Timmy is pretty vocal on the court these days. He's always giving advice to Kawhi, Patty, Green, etc. during breaks in the action, and frequently communicates on the floor (even admonishing others to communicate more, occasionally).

Not saying he'd be great as a coach or anything, but I don't think he's too timid or quiet to be a coach. More likely I'd say he's unlikely to be a great coach because it's just rare that great players become great coaches. They dominated their sport, and it's hard to teach someone as a former player who was highly gifted to begin with. To a certain extent, great players' dominance can't be taught. Magic as a coach can't just say "go out there and pass like I did!" That's just innate ability and instinct.

That said, a point in Timmy's favor would be the fact that he's always played a "fundamental" style of ball that relies on age-old techniques and processes that can be taught.

daslicer
02-07-2015, 01:55 AM
Larry Bird is the only great player I have seen succeed as a coach but then again he inherited a pacer's team that was already pretty good before him.

100%duncan
02-07-2015, 05:20 AM
i don't want him to be a coach because if he fails then it will be bad for his name

SupremeGuy
02-07-2015, 07:09 AM
He also knows cuckingGoddammit. :lol

PingPong
02-07-2015, 08:03 AM
Assistant to Manu Ginobili head coach.

exstatic
02-07-2015, 08:35 AM
Old news tbh. That interview was released a week ago.

I could see Timmy in a Hakeem-like role, only a little more involved. Where he's a part-time assistant coach who helps coach the bigs in practice and only attends home games. Still collects a nice pay check and doesn't have to travel with the team. Win-win for him.

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking. He won't want the travel involved in being on the full time staff, and if you watched Champions Revealed, it was clear that he saw very little in Tony or Kawhi when they arrived. You have to be able to project talent better than that to work in the FO.

ohmwrecker
02-07-2015, 09:52 AM
Tim will work with bigs in the paint to teach them positioning, fundamentals and footwork. Why not, he's "The Big Fundamental".

Yep. ala Kareem and Hakeem.

dbreiden83080
02-07-2015, 10:05 AM

You can lead in many ways as a coach.. A lot of times the coach that shits on you for every mistake gets tuned out fast.. Tim thinks the game out like a basketball savant.. His resume speaks for itself and commands respect.. The man knows how to win at the highest level..

mingus
02-07-2015, 05:08 PM
Duncan is a highly cerebral player and has been coached by and learned from one of the most cerebral coaches of all time. There's no reason why he wouldn't succeed as a coach from a knowledge or strategic standpoint. What seperate Pop from other coaches (even really good ones) is mostly his ability to get everyone to buy into his brand of ball and press the right buttons in people/manage personalities.