PDA

View Full Version : Prisoners

Pauly D
02-07-2015, 05:19 PM
Free HBO, STARZ, CINEMAX trial. Went on a DVR tear. What a fucking awesome movie. How in the fuck was this not even nominated for best picture or Gyllenhaal or Hugh Jackman or Dano?!??!?! This shit is gonna be remembered. This was damn near perfect. The only complaint:

SPOILER was the dad letting himself be stuck in that situation to be captured and then the lady explaining to him all the shit she'd done. Typical movie villain nonsense. But that's pretty much it. The very end, the dad using his daughter's whistle, made me smirk at how fucking brilliant it was. Best movie I've seen in a long time. SPOILER

Gyllenhaal's character is the best real life hero I've seen in a movie since comic book movies have taken over. Without trying to sound like a pretentious douchebag, it was a classic character. Very Popeye Doyle except more somber since it's kidnapped children instead of drug smugglers lol

djohn2oo8
02-07-2015, 06:03 PM
I don't think he had much of a choice. I mean he could have let the cops know where he was going, but she would have probably killed the daughter if she heard the cops coming

InRareForm
02-07-2015, 06:12 PM
great movie

Pauly D
02-07-2015, 08:01 PM
What I meant is he KNEW she's at least behind it and he corners himself in the kitchen like that. Obviously he had to take it into his own hands but he could've done some more sniffing around before calling her out or take her right when he got in the house

DJR210
02-07-2015, 08:18 PM
I have Directv, didn't notice a free preview :cry

I guess I'll just stick to watching Frozen non stop on Encore.

Pauly D
02-07-2015, 08:30 PM
It was like a month ago. Saved this one for last

DJR210
02-07-2015, 08:31 PM
It was like a month ago. Saved this one for last

Oh ok. Yeah, I knew about that one.

Strange Love
02-07-2015, 09:35 PM
His outcome would not be good either way.

He stays in the basement, he dies eventually.

He somehow gets rescued and he gets charged with all sorts of shit. Kidnapping, torture and so on. He's fucked.

Pauly D
02-07-2015, 10:27 PM
I know his future wqs gonna be screwed but in the end he actually contributed nothing to his daughter's rescue. Should've done either of the things I suggested above.

I was reading comments somewhere on this movie and seems like people think Dano's character is still somewhat guilty. From what I gathered he's permanently fucked up from all the drugs. Like a functioning vegetable. Makes it even more disturbing thinking about all the beatings and especially the fucking shower torture chamber

redzero
02-08-2015, 03:08 AM
The problem I have with the movie (even though I still enjoyed it a lot) was that it was too convoluted. The bait and switch with the pretend killer was completely unnecessary. I felt like the creators wanted to create a morality tale with the Hugh Jackman character, but all the twists and turns over-complicated the story and lessens its vision.

Franklin
02-08-2015, 08:34 AM
Huge is probably just the wrong actor for such characters imho.