PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts about this game against the Raptors

ElNono
02-08-2015, 09:59 PM
Just some general observations about the game...

- The defense was actually pretty darn good. We held them 43% (FG%) and 30% (3P%), outrebounded them 52-48. We will win more games than lose playing that kind of defense. Notable was Tiago playing solid defense and rebounded well, which has been a rarity this season. Hopefully it's something that's here to stay.

- Our offense, especially with the starters, it's extremely discombobulated out there right now. We can't seemingly put two games together where the offense really shines. Tonight we shot 33% (FG%) and 25% (3P%) from the floor, and except for the passing exhibition on the 2nd quarter, it was absurdly bad shooting for a pro team. The only reason we were in the game throughout was the defense.

It was actually so bad, I had to look up when was the last time we shot so poorly, and it was back in April 1st, 2005, when we shot 31%/21%. So the odds are out offense is not THAT bad, but compared to last year's playoffs, this thing needs to get off the ground quickly if we want to build towards something.

- Tiago looked good, like he hasn't looked all season. Hopefully, his demotion to come off the bench is something that can fuel him to play well to earn his starting spot back. It wasn't all pretty, but he was much more active and I thought he rebounded better tonight. Hopefully it's a trend, not a fluke.

- We already know Marco's defense is fairly putrid, but his movement off the ball on offense is underrated. He's constantly moving and finding paths to the basket, and on a night where we couldn't score for shit, he was a guy creating easy baskets with his movement alone. Even when he doesn't get the ball, the fact that he's not standing still, shakes off the opposing team's defense. It's not been just this game, that's something that's been noticeable since he's been back.

- Lots have been talked about the big 3, I'll leave that to their respective (multiple) threads.

tmtcsc
02-08-2015, 10:02 PM
Good analysis. I hope we see that type of output on a consistent basis from Tiago when the playoffs get started.

On another note, Leonard is clearly one of our best offensive players but sometimes I feel as if he's more aggressive than necessary. Our offense is at its best when we have a solid ball movement. It seems to stop with Leonard a little too much for my liking. When he's on, great. But when he's not, no one else gets involved and everyone seems to rely on him too much.

Mugen
02-08-2015, 10:02 PM
Pop dun lost his mind this season tbh. that was my biggest takeaway.

phxspurfan
02-08-2015, 10:22 PM
I haven't watched many Spurs games this year since I refused to pay the 400 dollars or whatever for LP. But What I did notice, compared to when I watched every game last year, is that

- Splitter fucking blows. All he has is those shitty reverse layups and those rely on the motion offense to be clicking (which it obviously isn't right now)
- Beli can still shoot, even though everyone on here acts like he's fucking garbage he was one of the best players on the floor for us out there tonight (and you'll see him shine in the 3pt competition against the likes of James :lol Harden :lol)
- Valanciunis was playing like a Hakeem/Ewing hybrid out there
- Duncan still doesn't get calls, neither does Parker or Manu for that matter, and probably because none are in their primes anymore
- Leonard is playing scared out there. He's not using his hands as much as he did last year (for obvious reasons), but that takes away a lot of his effectiveness
- Our lineups are kinda shitty right now. There's no one to do the dirty work. In fact, most of the NBA trots lineups out there like this now. Where are the Mario Elie's? The guys who can take charges when Amir Fucking Johnson takes Duncan off the dribble? He took like 30 seconds to get to the rim but none of our pretty boys got in his way to take the charge
- Mills is nowhere to be found
- Green doesn't have his shot. He freaking airballed one, actually. He could use some more shooting coaching. Oh wait, where did our shooting coach go
- Parker can't finish at the rim anymore, all he has is that floater and a broken ass 3 ball (duh since everyone already knows this)
- Basically we have no shot anymore if a miracle doesn't happen and everyone starts playing with the fire of John Starks and the killer instinct of MJ and the talent of Westbrook

But, otoh it is cool to see all of Pop's disciples doing well elsewhere (and LOL Jacque Vaughn u scrub ass nikka)

Spurs 4 The Win
02-08-2015, 10:28 PM
I haven't watched many Spurs games this year since I refused to pay the 400 dollars or whatever for LP. But What I did notice, compared to when I watched every game last year, is that

- Splitter fucking blows. All he has is those shitty reverse layups and those rely on the motion offense to be clicking (which it obviously isn't right now)
- Beli can still shoot, even though everyone on here acts like he's fucking garbage he was one of the best players on the floor for us out there tonight (and you'll see him shine in the 3pt competition against the likes of James :lol Harden :lol)
- Valanciunis was playing like a Hakeem/Ewing hybrid out there
- Duncan still doesn't get calls, neither does Parker or Manu for that matter, and probably because none are in their primes anymore
- Leonard is playing scared out there. He's not using his hands as much as he did last year (for obvious reasons), but that takes away a lot of his effectiveness
- Our lineups are kinda shitty right now. There's no one to do the dirty work. In fact, most of the NBA trots lineups out there like this now. Where are the Mario Elie's? The guys who can take charges when Amir Fucking Johnson takes Duncan off the dribble? He took like 30 seconds to get to the rim but none of our pretty boys got in his way to take the charge
- Mills is nowhere to be found
- Green doesn't have his shot. He freaking airballed one, actually. He could use some more shooting coaching. Oh wait, where did our shooting coach go
- Parker can't finish at the rim anymore, all he has is that floater and a broken ass 3 ball (duh since everyone already knows this)
- Basically we have no shot anymore if a miracle doesn't happen and everyone starts playing with the fire of John Starks and the killer instinct of MJ and the talent of Westbrook

But, otoh it is cool to see all of Pop's disciples doing well elsewhere (and LOL Jacque Vaughn u scrub ass nikka)

You can stream every game for free bro...

Capt Bringdown
02-08-2015, 10:30 PM
playing with the fire of John Starks

LOL, 2 for 18

cd98
02-08-2015, 10:38 PM
Spurs missed a lot of easy layups and wide open three pointers. Some nights it's just that way. I do think Toronto was very physical, kind of like the Grizzlies, and it through the Spurs off to the point they were missing shots that they normally make.

jjktkk
02-08-2015, 10:42 PM
Defense was solid. Shots just were not falling. Leonard needs to further evolve his offensive game in the post.

apalisoc_9
02-08-2015, 10:44 PM
Defense was solid. Shots just were not falling. Leonard needs to further evolve his offensive game in the post.

it starts with Tim not hogging the lane...

Nathan89
02-08-2015, 10:45 PM
3 more years was one reoccurring thought tbh

apalisoc_9
02-08-2015, 10:45 PM
I expected the spurs to go 6-3 in the RRT..That's not too bad, IMO.

ducks
02-08-2015, 10:47 PM
Think Spurs were trying to hard for pop 1000 win

wildchild
02-08-2015, 10:59 PM

It seems like they can't score consistently in the paint with Tim/Tony against good teams, so instead to let Leonard shooting bad all night, keep him attacking the rim.
At least he can draw some fouls and it should be better than watch all team missing wide open shots.

apalisoc_9
02-08-2015, 11:01 PM
It seems they can't very physical to score in the paint with Tim/Tony against good teams, so instead to let Leonard shooting bad all night, keep him attacking the rim.
At least he can draw some fouls and it should be better than watch all team missing wide open shots.

Duncan is hogging the lane..He seriously needs to reconsider his offensive role.

wildchild
02-08-2015, 11:04 PM
Duncan is hogging the lane..He seriously needs to reconsider his offensive role.

It's Pop's job but he won't limit Tim/Tony roles, the team need some changes that Pop never will do.

mkurts
02-09-2015, 03:58 AM
I think the passion is not there anymore.

Then you got the emergence of Porker and the decline of Diaw - the team just isn't good enough.

EVAY
02-09-2015, 09:49 AM
Just some general observations about the game...

- The defense was actually pretty darn good. We held them 43% (FG%) and 30% (3P%), outrebounded them 52-48. We will win more games than lose playing that kind of defense. Notable was Tiago playing solid defense and rebounded well, which has been a rarity this season. Hopefully it's something that's here to stay.

- Our offense, especially with the starters, it's extremely discombobulated out there right now. We can't seemingly put two games together where the offense really shines. Tonight we shot 33% (FG%) and 25% (3P%) from the floor, and except for the passing exhibition on the 2nd quarter, it was absurdly bad shooting for a pro team. The only reason we were in the game throughout was the defense.

It was actually so bad, I had to look up when was the last time we shot so poorly, and it was back in April 1st, 2005, when we shot 31%/21%. So the odds are out offense is not THAT bad, but compared to last year's playoffs, this thing needs to get off the ground quickly if we want to build towards something.

- Tiago looked good, like he hasn't looked all season. Hopefully, his demotion to come off the bench is something that can fuel him to play well to earn his starting spot back. It wasn't all pretty, but he was much more active and I thought he rebounded better tonight. Hopefully it's a trend, not a fluke.

- We already know Marco's defense is fairly putrid, but his movement off the ball on offense is underrated. He's constantly moving and finding paths to the basket, and on a night where we couldn't score for shit, he was a guy creating easy baskets with his movement alone. Even when he doesn't get the ball, the fact that he's not standing still, shakes off the opposing team's defense. It's not been just this game, that's something that's been noticeable since he's been back.

- Lots have been talked about the big 3, I'll leave that to their respective (multiple) threads.

Thank you very much for a non-emotional thread about the game. It is nice to be able to respond to a game topic that isn't written with a trashing of one or more players.

Moreover, your takes are quite good, imo. It is true that Marco really does cut to the basket better than almost anyone on the team, and that ability can help us if we can take advantage of it.

My general take on last night's game was that everyone out there clearly really wanted to win that game; it is not always so obvious that folks want to win when they seem distracted or bored or lethargic. They just couldn't put the ball in the basket, and that was true of virtually everybody on the team. That is honestly why we lost last night, imo. It is rare to find SO many players having a wretched shooting night at the same time, but last night was one of them.

The shooting difficulties last night were so overpowering that I don't take much from the game or loss itself. There was no lack of effort. There was no lack of defense.

If we continue, as a team, to miss as many shots as we did last night, we won't win much and don't deserve to, and all the people who have been predicting the demise of this team for so many years will say "see? I told you"!, and feel very vindicated.

However, if we put for the same level of effort as we did last night and we play as good defense as we did last night, combined with even average shooting, we will be in fine shape. May or may not get a championship, but we will compete.

I keep remembering that these team members have played more basketball games over the last three years than anyone not in a Miami Heat uniform (WCF, Finals, Finals), and look how underwhelming Miami looked last year in the Finals in their fourth trip to that level of playoffs.

I will admit to being baffled as to why Cojo didn't play in the second half, though.

cantthinkofanything
02-09-2015, 10:04 AM

shit...I didn't think it was that solid.

Saw a lot of drives right down the paint for Toronto.

hater
02-09-2015, 10:06 AM
just feed Ferrari the ball and get the fuck out the way

FromWayDowntown
02-09-2015, 10:14 AM
For whatever reason, no matter the relative quality of the teams, the Spurs just play some of their poorest games on the offensive end in Toronto.

In the Duncan era, 3 of the 15 worst shooting nights have come against Toronto, and last night was #14 on that list:

Date Tm Opp Result FG FGA FG%
1 2/7/02 SAS @ TOR L 74-80 22 92 0.239
2 10/29/03 SAS @ DEN L 72-80 26 97 0.268
3 4/13/98 SAS LAL L 75-99 26 84 0.31
4 3/31/01 SAS MIL L 77-86 25 79 0.316
5 4/1/05 SAS @ DEN L 84-102 28 88 0.318
6 12/28/07 SAS TOR L 73-83 23 72 0.319
7 12/11/03 SAS @ HOU W 71-67 27 84 0.321
8 11/8/03 SAS DAL L 78-81 27 83 0.325
9 4/18/01 SAS @ SEA L 67-105 27 82 0.329
10 1/13/04 SAS @ ATL L 77-86 26 79 0.329
11 3/23/08 SAS @ DAL W 88-81 30 91 0.33
12 1/4/02 SAS IND L 82-92 27 81 0.333
13 2/11/11 SAS @ PHI L 71-77 27 81 0.333
14 2/8/15 SAS @ TOR L 82-87 31 93 0.333
15 11/4/01 SAS @ SAC L 83-103 30 89 0.337

(can't get this formatting right; apologies for that).

It was also their worst shooting night in almost 4 years. That they even had a chance to win that game against a pretty good Toronto team isn't suggestive of the sky falling. (also, since Parsons missed his end-of-game 3 on opening night, why does it just feel like every one who needs to make a late shot against the Spurs to tie or take the lead makes that shot? It's almost uncanny.).

I didn't like the intensity last night for stretches and thought they really got pushed around for long spans of time, which is disheartening to see. But whatever chance this team has depends on its ability to have a chance even when things aren't going well and figuring out some way to stick in those games long enough to find one play to put them over the top. They haven't done a great job of finding those plays this season (and arguably have caused their own problems in a fair number of their losses) but they've done a pretty good job of sticking in games, even when they've played poorly.

Obviously, though, for as long as they can't close those games, they're not going to get much done in the Spring.

SnakeBoy
02-09-2015, 10:19 AM
This was the best game of the season tbh. Too bad they couldn't buy a shot. Even an average shooting night and this was a blow out.

EVAY
02-09-2015, 11:00 AM
This was the best game of the season tbh. Too bad they couldn't buy a shot. Even an average shooting night and this was a blow out.

Well said.

SnakeBoy
02-09-2015, 01:46 PM
For whatever reason, no matter the relative quality of the teams, the Spurs just play some of their poorest games on the offensive end in Toronto.

Too close to the magnetic pole for our robots.

apalisoc_9
02-09-2015, 01:49 PM
I don't know if this matters, but People in general lack the energy to get up and want to play in cold weather..

It's just hard.

xtremesteven33
02-09-2015, 01:52 PM
Combination of bad play and disinterest. Championship hangover may still be lingering but I have no worries right now. Its been said before, but every team in the west is beatable. Any one of them can lose any given night and would not surprise anyone. The playing field is pretty fuckin even. And im sure the Spurs would be favorites to win it all if the playoffs were to start tomorrow.

phxspurfan
02-09-2015, 10:01 PM
LOL, 2 for 18

you had to go there...