PDA

View Full Version : Game Grades Spurs vs. Raptors

apalisoc_9
02-08-2015, 10:20 PM
Just when it looked like the spurs were going to gain ground and go for the 4th seed, they lose.

Kawhi Leonard - Possibly one of the worst offensive performance I've seen from Leonard in quite a while. The ball went to him a considerable amount of time but he didn't do anything with it. His defense in the first half was poor, but that has a lot to do with TD being a huge negative defensively tonight. In the second half, Leonard defended pretty darn well and was one of the reasons why the Spurs didn't get blown out today..I don't care if Duncan, or Diaw or Aaron thinks he's stealing rebounds, but his transition offense would have helped the spurs make easy shots tonight..Time to tell the bigs to Let Kawhi grab those defensive boards. C

Tim Duncan - I don't know how to say this without offending TD fans, but he was flat out terrible in both ends of the floor..Offensively, he had the highest usage rate of all players, and it was a huge negative running the offense through him as he stagnated the offense. Defensively, couldn't guard the paint, poor Help defense. He made numerous boneheaded plays...His biggest contribution tonight was his offensive rebounding. -D

Manu Ginobili - He was a huge part of the team that gave the spurs the lead late in the first and early 2nd. Manu was active defensively and his ability to move the ball gave the spurs some breathing room. Sadly, the starters ruined everything. His shooting was poor though..if there's one thing Parker, Leonard and the rest of the team couldn't do tonight, was attack the basket when the shots weren't falling...manu was relentless and the only guy there that attack the basket.. B

Boris Diaw - Showed energy tonight..made some neat passes and together with Manu, and Tiago outplayed the raptors late in the first and early 2nd.. -B

Danny Green - You know his shots weren't falling but he was the 2nd best defender out there...Sadly for Green, his playing time relies heavily on his ability to shoot the ball and with Belli in the bench, I had no doubt in my mind Pop was going to play him limited minutes tonight..He started the game scoring, and then later on missed all his shots. C

Tony Parker - He was the worst player in the first half..Couldn't hit a shot, surprisingly his best contribution tonight was defense.., Again he didn't move the ball..I can go on and on and on..In the fourth quarter though, Parker made tons of plays on the offensive end..Didn't hit a single shot in the first half. His 4th quarter scoring was crucial and allowed the spurs to be in the game till the very last minute. D

Tiago Splitter - The spurs lost today, but I'm happy because TIAGO is back baby. His defense tonight was ELITE..He's the main reason why the spurs went on a run late in the first and 2nd..., the spurs didn't get blown out because this guy was playing. This is the first time this year I've seen Tiago play like tiago of last year..Forget the embarrassing cute shots tonight, because if it weren't for Tiago this team would have lost by 20. Elite PnR defense, Elite Paint protection, Elite rim Protection, Good rebounding..Should have played him over Tim. Best player tonight. A

Marco Bellineli - The only player that made shots tonight and thats thanks to his ability to move without the ball...It was understandable seeing him play over Green, but seriously despite his shooting, he made two huge defensive mistakes in the fourth. When Leonard went of to defend a free lowry, Bellineli didn't rotate and that allowed for a raptors three to seal the freaking deal..His defense is embarrassing. I don't know why Pop never goes berserk on this guy. +C

Aaron Baynes - The reason why this guy shouldn't be starting over Tiago Splitter is because he is awful defending the paint position...he didn't rebound the ball, he didn't score, set some poor screens..it's time to stop the Aaron baynes experiment..-D

Cory Joseph - Pop needs to set up a consistent rotation..It's time to stop experimenting. Is it patty or is it Joseph? Joseph was hesitant tonight offensively...Good defense though. C

Patty Mills - Played 6 minutes and didn't really contribute. D

Greg Popovich - Seriously his 2nd half coaching has got to be one of the worst I've seen from him in a very long time...Can't decide on a rotation, benching the best player, Making bad offensive calls...D

I think Spurs fan should be happy though because Tiago is finally bask.

wildchild
02-08-2015, 10:23 PM
You missed Boris?

lefty
02-08-2015, 10:23 PM
You missed Boris?
So did Enrique

dabom
02-08-2015, 10:24 PM
Benching the best player, playing his cold player, and going with enrique the majority of the time. :lol

Pop gets a big fucking F this game.

ElNono
02-08-2015, 10:25 PM
thanks for the writeup :tu

FkLA
02-08-2015, 10:25 PM
Disagree about Enrique's 4th quarter 'scoring'. It was a basically a bunch of dribble dribble dribble sprinkled in with some ineffective two-man game with Timmy. He made that three and a tear drop, but I want to say he missed more than he made and completely stagnated the offense in the final ~5 minutes or so. I agree about his defense though...he had a surprisingly good game on that end.

phxspurfan
02-08-2015, 10:26 PM
Kepp cashin them checks Big 3

cantthinkofanything
02-08-2015, 10:27 PM
I think you missed it tonight. If Leonard plays his C game and Manu a B, then Spurs Win.

FkLA
02-08-2015, 10:27 PM
So did Enrique

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/kiss.gif

rasuo214
02-08-2015, 10:28 PM
Defense kept them in the game. I think Pop is still messing around with rotations to see what works this season but it's frustrating to see Pop not go with the hot rotation (or at the very least give them a shot in the 2nd half).

apalisoc_9
02-08-2015, 10:29 PM
Disagree about Enrique's 4th quarter 'scoring'. It was a basically a bunch of dribble dribble dribble sprinkled in with some ineffective two-man game with Timmy. He made that three and a tear drop, but I want to say he missed more than he made and completely stagnated the offense in the final ~5 minutes or so. I agree about his defense though...he had a surprisingly good game on that end.

That two man game is one of the biggest reasons why the Spurs are so bad this year offensively..I have no idea why spurs fans get so offended and sensitive when I point it out..:lol

wildchild
02-08-2015, 10:31 PM
Boris Diaw - Showed energy tonight..made some neat passes and together with Manu, and Tiago outplayed the raptors late in the first and early 2nd.. -B

Yep...but what happens with his D?? All SF/PF in the league are eating him alive. Tobias Harris, James Johnson, the game against Clippers...

Nathan89
02-08-2015, 10:32 PM
Nice effort.

apalisoc_9
02-08-2015, 10:33 PM
Yep...but what happens with his D?? All SF/PF in the league are eating him alive. Tobias Harris, James Johnson, the game against Clippers...

Tbh, I've given up on his D a long time ago...Tonight his defense was his usual "average" defense..Still the defense wasn't really the problem tonight..It was the offense.

ElNono
02-08-2015, 10:33 PM
Boris has mixed up really good with really bad the last few games. Some really good passes and decisions, with passing up open shots and turning the ball over under the basket. I noticed Pop benched him against Miami for passing up an open 3, and it looks like he got the memo. A consistent Boris would help our anemic offense a lot, tbh

apalisoc_9
02-08-2015, 10:36 PM
I would rather the spurs have offensive problems than defensive problems going into the playoffs..They are 8-3 since Kawhi's return and will most likely kill the Pacers tomorrow and go 9-3...

They should be on pace to end the season with the 5th seed but with better record than Portland.

wildchild
02-08-2015, 10:41 PM
Defense kept them in the game. I think Pop is still messing around with rotations to see what works this season but it's frustrating to see Pop not go with the hot rotation (or at the very least give them a shot in the 2nd half).

Definitely Beli on Johnson and DeRozan didn't work...Pop sacrifices a lot on D to keep him on the floor, but Danny wasn't a very efficient 3's shooter tonight...

It's hard to watch Marco playing the last minutes when the team need to play suffocating defense to close the game.

ducks
02-08-2015, 10:51 PM
Parker was huge in 4 when mattered but gets bad grade lol

Nathan89
02-08-2015, 10:54 PM
Parker was huge in 4 when mattered but gets bad grade lol

The whole game matters

FlAVaK
02-08-2015, 10:55 PM
I think Spurs fan should be happy though because Tiago is finally back.

I think starting Baynes was more of a punishment towards Tiago to wake him up than a promotion of Aron.
It will probably/hopefully end now...

Brazil
02-09-2015, 06:43 AM
When Harlem is focused talking ball and not trolling that's solid tbh

Thanks for the writting

Pauleta14
02-09-2015, 07:00 AM
I think you missed it tonight. If Leonard plays his C game and Manu a B, then Spurs Win.

I agree, same with Timmy and Tony...

But I would still be worried by our team tho...

cantthinkofanything
02-09-2015, 08:52 AM

the crappieness of the Raptors was the only thing that kept them in this game. saying the Spurs played good defense is like saying the Raptors played good defense when the Spurs kept throwing passes right to them. Although, that center did do a good job on Timmy.

One of the ugliest games NBA games I've seen in a while.

rjv
02-09-2015, 10:46 AM
and why does pop continue to use TD as the inbound passer on our last possessions of close games. he has literally thrown away two games this season and one in the preseason.

TDomination
02-09-2015, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the writeup!

Its frustrating to see this team struggle to put a solid 48 minute outing. I think about that Blazers game when Kawhi returned and all seemed like it was going to turn the right way. But for whatever reason, even with everyone healthy we just aren't clicking.

IMO, Tiago needs to be back in the starting lineup, Green needs to play more and Pop needs to stop tinkering with lineups so much and let these guys get used to being with each other again. We need some consistency