PDA

View Full Version : Danny can't hit the side of a barn, tbh

ElNono
02-09-2015, 09:56 PM
Love Danny, but he's in the middle of a terrible slump right now... he's 4-26 (15%) from downtown over the last 4 games...

His form looks good, he's sometimes short, sometimes long... there doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason for the misses... hopefully his confidence doesn't drop and he keeps on shooting them... eventually they'll start to fall again...

ducks
02-09-2015, 09:58 PM
hopefully he was pressing for spurs to win 1000 wins for pop

timtonymanu
02-09-2015, 09:59 PM
Not worried.

Nigga just needs the all star break to rest.

NASpurs
Probably tired legs. Him and Bobo have been our iron men this year and it seems both of them are feeling it. I bet this break can't come soon enough for them.

lofds
Eh, shooters gotta shoot, he'll get it back. I don't fault Danny for missing. He's taking good shots and they just aren't going down.

dabom
02-09-2015, 10:00 PM
He still plays defense but fucking make a shot please. :lol

Wildcat67
02-09-2015, 10:00 PM
Yeah the end of that game was really frustrating. He had about 4-5 chances to hit a dagger (or close to it) but missed them all.

Robz4000
02-09-2015, 10:01 PM
Its been his MO for years now. He'll prolly be money again come post-ASB. I'm more worried about Kawhi/Tony/Tim/Diaw's shooting.

TXstbobcat
02-09-2015, 10:01 PM
Not worried he can heat up just as fast.

look_at_g_shred
02-09-2015, 10:11 PM
Not worried.

Nigga just needs the all star break to rest.

spurraider21
02-09-2015, 10:13 PM
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-return-of-icyhot-how-danny-green-finally-caught-fire/

Seventyniner
02-09-2015, 10:29 PM
I'm willing to chalk it up to variance too. We already know how good of a shooter he can be.

DesignatedT
02-09-2015, 10:45 PM
Dude will reel off like 18 out of his next 20. Non issue but it's not helping us.

SnakeBoy
02-09-2015, 10:58 PM
I don't think we have to worry about his confidence dropping.

Floyd Pacquiao
02-09-2015, 10:58 PM
Icy hot currently in his icy stage. He'll snap out of it.

rasuo214
02-09-2015, 11:08 PM
It's a little frustrating how streaky he can be but it'll be great when he's hot and making 8-10 from 3 or something absurd like that in a game (or his finals runs).

midnightpulp
02-09-2015, 11:09 PM
This is an underrated reason why we're struggling.

Yeah, it's great that Danny is an elite perimeter defender, but if his offense is so damn putrid that he still loses the battle with his assignment despite shutting him down, then he'll be a net negative player even while playing great defense.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
02-09-2015, 11:10 PM
God damn he keeps shooting he doesn't give a fuck : lol

Cry Havoc
02-09-2015, 11:14 PM
This is an underrated reason why we're struggling.

Yeah, it's great that Danny is an elite perimeter defender, but if his offense is so damn putrid that he still loses the battle with his assignment despite shutting him down, then he'll be a net negative player even while playing great defense.

Yeah, but all we need from him is just 2-5 or 3-7 on threes every game, and we're suddenly a much scarier team. Hell, even 3/8 or 4/11 is fine, whatever keeps the defense on their heels.

Bartleby
02-09-2015, 11:21 PM
This is one of the reasons I haven't been too worried about the Spurs play of late. Over the last five games their combined 3 pt. % has been under 33% (and it would be a lot lower than that if not for the Orlando game).

LAC - 33.3
ORL - 43.8
MIA - 37.9
TOR - 25
IND - 24

They're shooting .367% on the year compared to .397 last season.

Sure the losses are frustrating, but their defense has kept them in games and I'm guess those shooting numbers should improve after the ASB, once they get into a rhythm (fingers crossed they stay healthy). I'd be a lot more concerned if it were the other way around because at this point the defense pretty much is what it is and it's hard to imagine a big change in that category during half a season.

TD 21
02-09-2015, 11:33 PM
Not worried. Not that he's not missing some wide open looks, of course, but let's face it, his shooting is largely a barometer for how the offense in general is functioning. Throw in the random ups and downs of a season and probably tired legs and it makes sense.

He might not go on to shoot his usual 42-43%, but he'll probably end up at 40%, which is fine.

Of far greater concern is Diaw and Bonner. Though an improved three-point shooter in recent years, Diaw has mostly been erratic throughout his career and this season he's downright anemic. As for Bonner, he looks done. His shooting wasn't quite the same last season and it's fallen further this season. How long until teams get more and more brave about helping off of them? Just imagine the offense then.

KL2
02-09-2015, 11:35 PM
This always happens, people forget how shitty Green has been throughout certain parts of the season in his career, but at least his defense is there this time.

MI21
02-09-2015, 11:52 PM
Pop consistently cuts Danny's minutes when he isn't shooting well despite him contributing in other areas, fucks me off tbh

Tonight he had momentum changing defensive plays and had a few really nice rebounds, one in particularly in the final 2 minutes were he beat out Hibbert :tu

Bartleby
02-09-2015, 11:54 PM
Of far greater concern is Diaw and Bonner. Though an improved three-point shooter in recent years, Diaw has mostly been erratic throughout his career and this season he's downright anemic. As for Bonner, he looks done. His shooting wasn't quite the same last season and it's fallen further this season. How long until teams get more and more brave about helping off of them? Just imagine the offense then.

Yeah, Bonner definitely looks done, but I can live with that since I cringe whenever he's on the floor during the playoffs anyway and maybe the writing will be on the wall by then.

Diaw's 3 pt. shooting (.303% this year) seems to be more a function of how much he gives a shit, and right now I don't think he's very focused. His 3pt. percentage jumped from .267% to .615% after he was waived by Charlotte. Granted, that was a pretty small sample size in SA, but his numbers were .385% and .402% the following years. Hopefully the playoffs wake him up.

ElNono
02-09-2015, 11:59 PM
Pop consistently cuts Danny's minutes when he isn't shooting well despite him contributing in other areas, fucks me off tbh

Tonight he had momentum changing defensive plays and had a few really nice rebounds, one in particularly in the final 2 minutes were he beat out Hibbert :tu

Actually Pop benched him today because he gave him a shot handling the ball and he turned it over. This is an area where Danny hasn't improved, and Pop is going to keep going back to Beli in such cases, especially when Manu is out.

marinoman
02-10-2015, 12:10 AM
The thread title didn't need a tbh, tbh

TD 21
02-10-2015, 12:11 AM
Yeah, Bonner definitely looks done, but I can live with that since I cringe whenever he's on the floor during the playoffs anyway and maybe the writing will be on the wall by then.

Diaw's 3 pt. shooting (.303% this year) seems to be more a function of how much he gives a shit, and right now I don't think he's very focused. His 3pt. percentage jumped from .267% to .615% after he was waived by Charlotte. Granted, that was a pretty small sample size in SA, but his numbers were .385% and .402% the following years. Hopefully the playoffs wake him up.

So he's missing shots intentionally because he doesn't give a shit? I can understand the "he's pacing himself" argument in effort based areas and I do think he is to a certain extent, but I think the bigger issue is him flat out being out of gas, which was both predictable and inevitable.

ElNono
02-10-2015, 12:29 AM
So he's missing shots intentionally because he doesn't give a shit? I can understand the "he's pacing himself" argument in effort based areas and I do think he is to a certain extent, but I think the bigger issue is him flat out being out of gas, which was both predictable and inevitable.

He was benched a game or two ago for passing up a wide open 3. Ultimately, last season he only averaged 1.4 3PA per game (2 per game in the playoffs), so that's not necessarily where his value is. He's deceptively good in the post, and a great passer. To me it's more mentally tired/disinterested than actual physical exhaustion. I haven't seen him winded or anything like it, just making wrong decisions, passing up shots, and being largely invisible for long stretches.

TD 21
02-10-2015, 12:37 AM
He was benched a game or two ago for passing up a wide open 3. Ultimately, last season he only averaged 1.4 3PA per game (2 per game in the playoffs), so that's not necessarily where his value is. He's deceptively good in the post, and a great passer. To me it's more mentally tired/disinterested than actual physical exhaustion. I haven't seen him winded or anything like it, just making wrong decisions, passing up shots, and being largely invisible for long stretches.

I realize he's not a pure stretch four like Bonner, but he's enough of a threat that teams at least have to show some level of respect for him from three. Eventually, that's going to go away and when it does, the offense is going to be even worse.

You're not going to see a blatant sign of physical exhaustion, because it's not a conditioning issue. It's an issue of him being relatively old and having accumulated too much mileage in too little time since coming to the Spurs and it's caught up to him, like it did Parker last season.

moisaenz
02-10-2015, 12:54 AM
would like for Danny to shoot better, but as long as he is still playing defense he needs to be on the floor.

heyheymymy
02-10-2015, 01:01 AM
Danny Green did the same thing last year and flipped a switch around the ASB and looked like Jesus Jordan out there all the sudden.

Diaw just now started the diet thing so I'm guessing that is also when he just started focusing on everything else too, so he should cinch up tight in the next few weeks.

Tim and Tony are pretty concerning though. Hope there is a switch to flip with them.

Manu is just tired and needs the ASB to recharge. He ranged from decent to pretty solid the first month of the season and was relied upon too heavily and you saw a sharp drop off in terms of 3pm and TOs with him after team injuries/3OT games ran up his mins and and ran him into the ground, but hey, we might not have stayed above .500 without Manu as a stopgap in Nov.

ElNono
02-10-2015, 01:13 AM
I realize he's not a pure stretch four like Bonner, but he's enough of a threat that teams at least have to show some level of respect for him from three. Eventually, that's going to go away and when it does, the offense is going to be even worse.

You're not going to see a blatant sign of physical exhaustion, because it's not a conditioning issue. It's an issue of him being relatively old and having accumulated too much mileage in too little time since coming to the Spurs and it's caught up to him, like it did Parker last season.

The thing with Boris is that, unlike Parker, it's not speed or athleticism that's his main virtue, but good passing, court vision and great feel for the game. For example, he's never been a great rebounder, so you get what you can on those areas. That's why I think Pop is hesitant to start him. At this point though, I much rather have him out there on the court than Bonner, even if his 3 ball isn't respected. He's just the smarter player, and when he's on, he's another creator on offense.

wildchild
02-10-2015, 02:01 AM
Hope this thread will become like a reverse jinx thread next games.

02-10-2015, 02:44 AM
From time to time I see him call for post ups, but I've never seen them give him the ball when he's asking for it. Is his post game good? I've never seen it myself

ElNono
02-10-2015, 03:18 AM
From time to time I see him call for post ups, but I've never seen them give him the ball when he's asking for it. Is his post game good? I've never seen it myself

He got that big butt of his, which he uses well. He can finish with a layup or a fadeaway (he's money with that shot). Or he can pass off the post when the defense collapses. The Spurs actually posted him a lot in the Finals last year, exploiting the mismatch with Wade, who was guarding him (remember the behind the back pass to Tiago for the dunk in Game 4?).

DJR210
02-10-2015, 04:01 AM
All that energy he expended blocking shots chasing down guards on fast breaks the other way caught up to him. He'll be ready to go after the ASB IMO.

in2deep
02-10-2015, 09:26 AM
would like for Danny to shoot better, but as long as he is still playing defense he needs to be on the floor.

except, he's not

EVAY
02-10-2015, 10:04 AM
Danny's defensive intensity has been huge of late. Still has problems of 'flying by' on three point shooters, but has lots of energy, is getting steals and blocks and rebounds like crazy.

I think he is focusing on his defense so much that his offensive focus has lagged and that may be the reason for his drop off in 3 point percentages. They are truly bad of late, but I think he believes (as do most pure shooters) that whatever his next shot is, it's going in.

TD 21
02-10-2015, 07:35 PM
The thing with Boris is that, unlike Parker, it's not speed or athleticism that's his main virtue, but good passing, court vision and great feel for the game. For example, he's never been a great rebounder, so you get what you can on those areas. That's why I think Pop is hesitant to start him. At this point though, I much rather have him out there on the court than Bonner, even if his 3 ball isn't respected. He's just the smarter player, and when he's on, he's another creator on offense.

His usefulness still declines if defenders stop bothering to defend him at the three-point line. It's not just that it cramps spacing, it cramps his own game, since it's the threat of that that sets up his dribble-drive game. Obviously, he's not beating any off the dribble with speed and quickness, so he has to do it by using their momentum against them. That becomes far more difficult to do when they close out short.

Pop is hesitant to start him because he likes him with the 2nd unit, specifically with Ginobili. Also, starting him would mean having Bonner in the rotation regardless of match-up and playing significant minutes, so as to not wear him out.

ElNono
02-10-2015, 07:43 PM
His usefulness still declines if defenders stop bothering to defend him at the three-point line. It's not just that it cramps spacing, it cramps his own game, since it's the threat of that that sets up his dribble-drive game. Obviously, he's not beating any off the dribble with speed and quickness, so he has to do it by using their momentum against them. That becomes far more difficult to do when they close out short.

Pop is hesitant to start him because he likes him with the 2nd unit, specifically with Ginobili. Also, starting him would mean having Bonner in the rotation regardless of match-up and playing significant minutes, so as to not wear him out.

How so? He started in the last 3 games of the Finals, and Matty barely saw the floor, except in garbage time. Except for very specific matchups (ie: OKC, where Bonner will likely get some minutes and might even start as a legit stretch 4), I think the bigs rotation will end up being like last playoffs: Tim-Tiago-Boris...

TD 21
02-10-2015, 07:51 PM
How so? He started in the last 3 games of the Finals, and Matty barely saw the floor, except in garbage time. Except for very specific matchups (ie: OKC, where Bonner will likely get some minutes and might even start as a legit stretch 4), I think the bigs rotation will end up being like last playoffs: Tim-Tiago-Boris...

It was 3 games and it was the Finals, so managing minutes was out the window. They can't regularly play him damn near 40 mpg.

ElNono
02-10-2015, 07:54 PM
It was 3 games and it was the Finals, so managing minutes was out the window. They can't regularly play him damn near 40 mpg.

ehhh... I dunno about managing minutes in the playoffs... there's no back to backs, I don't think that will be an issue.

TD 21
02-10-2015, 07:57 PM
ehhh... I dunno about managing minutes in the playoffs... there's no back to backs, I don't think that will be an issue.

I'm talking in general, regular season and playoffs. Even in the playoffs, Diaw can't handle close to 40 mpg for four rounds.

ElNono
02-10-2015, 08:05 PM
I'm talking in general, regular season and playoffs. Even in the playoffs, Diaw can't handle close to 40 mpg for four rounds.

I think during the regular season we'll see a lot of Bonner, Baynes and why not, Ayres... don't think any of those guys would have anything more than spot minutes in the playoffs unless there's some injury.

In the playoffs, it's going to be 96 minutes split over 3 guys, or about 32 mins per.... On some matchups, we'll probably play small, which will further reduce the minutes. I suspect we're looking at 30 mpg for Boris, which should be ok.

ElNono
02-10-2015, 08:11 PM
In the playoffs, it's going to be extremely dependent on who we play. ie: I think Pop will go small a lot in a potential Warriors series, with just Tim being the big man. If OKC makes it, then I can see Bonner getting more minutes than he would've against other teams. I guess we'll get a better idea next month at some point, once the rotation starts to settle down.

DMC
02-10-2015, 11:29 PM
But his Finals record!

wildchild
02-11-2015, 02:51 AM
In the playoffs, it's going to be extremely dependent on who we play. ie: I think Pop will go small a lot in a potential Warriors series, with just Tim being the big man. If OKC makes it, then I can see Bonner getting more minutes than he would've against other teams. I guess we'll get a better idea next month at some point, once the rotation starts to settle down.

The bad thing about taking out the rest of bigs is that we wouldn't create a lot of mismatches against the Dubs, and on the defensive end it would force to put Kawhi on Draymond Green, Danny on Thompson and Tony/Manu/Beli/ on Curry/Barnes.

A weak defensive backcourt to guard one of the best PG in the league and the small forward who always against the Spurs has taken advantage of the need of put Kawhi on Thompson.

Sean Cagney
02-11-2015, 02:56 AM
But his Finals record!

He was damn good in last years finals as well to follow it up TBH. Right now struggling but when he is on he surely is on. Big key to this team, hope he gets it going soon.

DMC
02-11-2015, 08:30 AM
The bad thing about taking out the rest of bigs is that we wouldn't create a lot of mismatches against the Dubs, and on the defensive end it would force to put Kawhi on Draymond Green, Danny on Thompson and Tony/Manu/Beli/ on Curry/Barnes.

A weak defensive backcourt to guard one of the best PG in the league and the small forward who always against the Spurs has taken advantage of the need of put Kawhi on Thompson.

Spurs won't meet GS in the playoffs.

100%duncan
02-11-2015, 08:34 AM
Better now than in the playoffs. ala 2012, 2013(game 6-7)

cd98
02-11-2015, 08:54 AM
Green is a streaky shooter. Opposing teams would be dumb to not keep an eye on him. He's perfectly capable of making 7 three point shots in a game. I feel a shooting streak is due.

Poolboy5623
02-11-2015, 10:03 AM
My memory could be off, but didn't he have his struggles, during last reg season? ...most seemed to get down on him, and then he played great in the playoffs.

hater
02-11-2015, 10:04 AM
now you know why I call him 1 trick pony. His shot is off and he's pretty much a no trick pony running around the court.

Dex
02-11-2015, 10:49 AM
now you know why I call him 1 trick pony. His shot is off and he's pretty much a no trick pony running around the court.

Everyone claiming that Danny doesn't play defense has obviously forgotten about the Finley/Udoka/Jefferson days.

hater
02-11-2015, 11:22 AM
Everyone claiming that Danny doesn't play defense has obviously forgotten about the Finley/Udoka/Jefferson days.

sure he plays D. Otherwise he'd have been released from the team long ago.

although lately even his D has been mediocre to crappy

Chinook
02-11-2015, 11:51 AM
sure he plays D. Otherwise he'd have been released from the team long ago.

although lately even his D has been mediocre to crappy

Did the last game slip your mind? Green's the only reason why the lack of shot-blocking bigs on the team isn't as obvious. He and Duncan do the work of a normal set of bigs. Don't confuse losing gambles on D with making mistakes.

hater
02-11-2015, 12:17 PM
Did the last game slip your mind? Green's the only reason why the lack of shot-blocking bigs on the team isn't as obvious. He and Duncan do the work of a normal set of bigs. Don't confuse losing gambles on D with making mistakes.

Green's D is not up to par. I think its because adjusting to his reduction in minutes, being tired or even because his offensive game is off. But green is out of sorts on both sides of the court IMO

Chinook
02-11-2015, 12:21 PM
Green's D is not up to par. I think its because adjusting to his reduction in minutes, being tired or even because his offensive game is off. But green is out of sorts on both sides of the court IMO

I agree that he was absolutely bonkers to start the year. His lack of rest really does show up in his D, but he's still been elite on that end. He definitely should have been in instead of Beli versus the Raptors.

hater
02-11-2015, 12:25 PM
true. green was possibly our MVP along with duncan when Parker and Kawhi were out.

I just hope the reduction in minutes and role does not mess with his game longterm

oh and disagree about the Toronto game, we were shooting 33% we needed someone who could get buckets. Ferrari was shooting 65% while Green in the 20%s

Chinook
02-11-2015, 12:36 PM
true. green was possibly our MVP along with duncan when Parker and Kawhi were out.

I just hope the reduction in minutes and role does not mess with his game longterm

oh and disagree about the Toronto game, we were shooting 33% we needed someone who could get buckets. Ferrari was shooting 65% while Green in the 20%s

I'm talking about the last two minutes where the Raps consistently went at Beli. He was an automatic two points for them, which more than negates any shooting he would have provided in that span.

I also don't think Green's losing minutes due to his play; he's just going back to his normal role with Parker and Beli back.

hater
02-11-2015, 12:37 PM
we still needed buckets. what good is a superb defense when we shoot 30%???

no good at all. it's not like Danny was stopping anyone either.

Chinook
02-11-2015, 12:43 PM
we still needed buckets. what good is a superb defense when we shoot 30%???

no good at all. it's not like Danny was stopping anyone either.

You do realize the Spurs played fine defense in that game, right? Everyone except Beli down the stretch. What's 65 percent shooting if you allow 100 percent on the other end?

hater
02-11-2015, 12:47 PM
You do realize the Spurs played fine defense in that game, right?

which is why we needed a shooter in the end. We were shooting 30% and Danny in the 20%s

Everyone except Beli down the stretch. What's 65 percent shooting if you allow 100 percent on the other end?

except it's not 100% "on the other end" smh you make it seem like the other Spurs were playing a lick of D :rolleyes

let's just agree to disagree. Pop needed offense in that instance. I agree 120% with Pop's logic.

Chinook
02-11-2015, 12:54 PM
which is why we needed a shooter in the end. We were shooting 30% and Danny in the 20%s

except it's not 100% "on the other end" smh you make it seem like the other Spurs were playing a lick of D :rolleyes

let's just agree to disagree. Pop needed offense in that instance. I agree 120% with Pop's logic.

The Spurs had a lead with their bad percentages. They gave up three straight baskets due to the Raps attacking Beli. Marco is not usually THAT bad on D, but he was in that game.

Pop didn't lose the game from going with Beli over Green. He lost it by benching Joseph in the second half.

hater
02-11-2015, 12:56 PM
The Spurs had a lead with their bad percentages. They gave up three straight baskets due to the Raps attacking Beli. Marco is not usually THAT bad on D, but he was in that game.

I'm sure we gave up many baskets (87 points worth) on other spurs players. you play the hand that's dealt.

Pop didn't lose the game from going with Beli over Green. He lost it by benching Joseph in the second half.

we lost because we shot 30%. plain and simple. Shoot 30% in a game and not even 2 prime Duncans + 3 prime Bowens will get you a W.

Chinook
02-11-2015, 01:28 PM
I'm sure we gave up many baskets (87 points worth) on other spurs players. you play the hand that's dealt.

we lost because we shot 30%. plain and simple. Shoot 30% in a game and not even 2 prime Duncans + 3 prime Bowens will get you a W.

Yeah, because it's not like the Spurs were in the game until the last minute or anything.

ElNono
02-11-2015, 08:26 PM
http://www.troll.me/images/mah-nigga/mah-nigga-mah-nigga-youll-be-aight.jpg

K...
02-11-2015, 08:52 PM
Looks like someone finally paid Danny Greens electric bills, cause he's turning up the heat.

spurraider21
02-11-2015, 08:58 PM
Looks like someone finally paid Danny Greens electric bills, cause he's turning up the heat.
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/276/747/bf9.gif

Mugen
02-11-2015, 09:46 PM
crofl, Danny tells OP shhhhhhhh girl........

ElNono
02-11-2015, 09:50 PM
crofl, Danny tells OP shhhhhhhh girl........

:lol