PDA

View Full Version : Two days and a wakeup...finally, surgery on Friday the 13th

CosmicCowboy
02-10-2015, 06:40 PM
Just thought I would share with my cyber acquaintances...

Hopefully the beginning of the end of my knee replacement saga...I have been bone on bone in both knees for several years now. Back in May I had a knee replacement on my right knee. Surgeon was awesome...I literally walked out of the hospital the next day. I did it on a Friday and was back at work Monday. After three weeks it felt better than it had in years...then it started to feel "funny" and the incision started to split back open. Turns out that I was allergic to the internal stitches they had used that were supposed to dissolve...instead of dissolving they started trying to climb back outside my knee...I kept doctoring it under the doctors direction and it wouldn't close because of the stitches trying to get out of my knee...I continued working and messed around and eventually got a staph infection in my knee...

It swelled and turned red purple overnight and I immediately went back to my doctor who did emergency surgery on it that evening...he went back in, cleaned and scrubbed the knee, took the knee apart, and changed all the plastic parts. He left a lot of time release antibiotic in there as he closed (using a different type of stitch) and I was back at work three days later. The problem with artificial knees is that they are made of metal and plastic. When you get an infection it makes a perfect home for it as there are no blood vessels there to carry antibiotics inside the knee. I went on IV antibiotics for six weeks and then on "maintenance" oral antibiotics. The plan was to stay on those for a year or so and if there were no complications we wold talk about getting off the oral antibiotics...no such luck...the knee blew back up a few weeks later...my daughter was getting married the first week of October and I wanted to walk her down the aisle so I put off the next surgery until after the wedding and just lived with trying to keep the infection at bay with antibiotics.

As soon as the wedding was over they went in and removed my right knee completely. I have had an antibiotic plaster spacer since then...part is on the end of the upper leg bone and part is on the lower leg bone. My doctor said it was going to be "pretty unpleasant" and he wasn't kidding LOL. Move wrong and it pinches the heck out of the meat between them and as the plaster gradually broke apart it turned into sand and gravel mixed in with the meat so as I move it cuts me and the inside of the knee is just a bloody mess.

I went back on IV antibiotics and then started getting skin reactions from the antibiotics and the PICC line...it was like a third degree burn and took my skin right off in big patches around the PICC line area...they moved it from my right arm to my left arm and then to my chest and the rashes followed...also broke out in itching sores all over my body...I was going nuts for awhile and couldn't sleep...owning my own company it wasn't like I could stay home till I got well...I was going three and 4 days at a time with just sleeping an hour or two a night. Finally finished the second six week IV treatment and went off antibiotics in December...then it was just a matter of waiting...

It hasn't blown up again and the weekly blood work finally looks good so we are going back in and opening it up again Friday...if the Doc doesn't find any infection I'll wake up with a new knee...If he finds any it will plaster basketball knee again and six more weeks of IV's and 3-4 more months of crutches.

After 4 months on crutches without a knee I am definitely ready for some resolution. I'm not complaining...it is what it is and could have been a lot worse...just needed to vent...had to go off the Celebrex (anti-inflammatory) for the surgery and the knee has been screaming all week so I'm ready to get this done...2 more days and a wakeup...

ChumpDumper
02-10-2015, 06:49 PM
Whew. Hope it gets resolved for the best.

SnakeBoy
02-10-2015, 08:00 PM
Best of Luck CC!

Did you check with Boo to see if there is anything available at Sprouts to heal your knee instead of being a victim of the profit driven sickcare system?

clambake
02-10-2015, 08:12 PM
good luck! hope it all works out.

by the way....thats 2 threads about bad to the bone.

baseline bum
02-10-2015, 08:12 PM
Ouch man, hope you wake up with the new knee on Friday.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-10-2015, 08:24 PM
So he installed a placeholder that disintegrated and tore up the inside of your knee as well as used stitches that you were allergic to and they did nothing about? Sounds like you are getting fucked here, man. Hope things get better, I have seen how demoralizing losing mobility can be.

Who is your surgeon so I know not to use them?

ElNono
02-10-2015, 08:30 PM
Good luck. My dad had both knees replaced and he's still walking around at 83 years old... hopefully once they get it right, you'll be fine.

Blake
02-10-2015, 09:30 PM
This isn't a knee jerk reaction is it. it's not very funnee. And other puns

tlongII
02-10-2015, 09:48 PM
Good luck CC. Good thing you got Obamacare!

Wild Cobra
02-11-2015, 01:16 AM
Good luck CC. Good thing you got Obamacare!
LOL..

Good thing he doesn't!

They'd probably amputate as a cheaper fix.

hater
02-11-2015, 09:55 AM
Friday the 13th :wow

good luck man

FromWayDowntown
02-11-2015, 10:59 AM
Good luck, CC. I hope all goes well with the next procedure and your recovery.

cantthinkofanything
02-11-2015, 11:45 AM
Just thought I would share with my cyber acquaintances...

Wrong forum.

But hope it all goes well and you're back on here soon backing Big Pharma, BIg Oil, and the VRWC.

:p:

Winehole23
02-11-2015, 12:41 PM
ouch. hope all goes well, CC.

RandomGuy
02-12-2015, 01:51 PM
Ow. That made me pucker just reading it.

Wish you well.

Of course, you are still wrong about the protocol thing. :D

Be well, and let us know you made it through. We're rootin.

CosmicCowboy
02-12-2015, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the good wishes. Hopefully I will be back at work Monday giving you guys shit...:lol

SnakeBoy
02-12-2015, 06:35 PM
If your knee has any swelling after surgery eat some wheatgrass.

CosmicCowboy
02-15-2015, 10:03 AM
6 1/2 hours in surgery. Sore motherfucker but I have wheels again. Checked out of the hospital at 3 yesterday. Walking fine finally. Been a long 4 months on one leg.

CosmicCowboy
02-15-2015, 10:05 AM
Even got my anasthesia/narco shit out of the way. Life is good! :lol

boutons_deux
02-15-2015, 10:35 AM
Even got my anesthesia/narco shit out of the way. Life is good! :lol

When I had an umbilical hernia fixed, the anesthesia/narco shit really constipated me, for days.

In the surgery follow up, the surgeon told me, paraphrase, "yep, that stuff shuts down all your muscles, including those of gastrointestinal peristalsis."

Which reminded me of an article that said if heroin addicts can get a clean supply, they can live, function normally forever, with chronic constipation as the major side effect.

Part of the surgery prep paper should have been "complete laxative 24 hours before surgery and then liquids/juices only"

ElNono
02-15-2015, 12:55 PM
welcome back :tu

The Reckoning
02-15-2015, 01:38 PM
damn boutons you still have an umbilical cord? must be tough.

SupremeGuy
02-15-2015, 01:52 PM
Damn, going through that many infections would freak me the fuck out. Glad everything turned out fine for you. :tu

baseline bum
02-15-2015, 03:53 PM
6 1/2 hours in surgery. Sore motherfucker but I have wheels again. Checked out of the hospital at 3 yesterday. Walking fine finally. Been a long 4 months on one leg.

Nice. We can go climb El Capitan this weekend.

CosmicCowboy
02-16-2015, 08:26 AM
Nice. We can go climb El Capitan this weekend.

maybe not this weekend but hope to be snow skiing next year.

CosmicCowboy
02-16-2015, 08:28 AM
When I had an umbilical hernia fixed, the anesthesia/narco shit really constipated me, for days.

In the surgery follow up, the surgeon told me, paraphrase, "yep, that stuff shuts down all your muscles, including those of gastrointestinal peristalsis."

Which reminded me of an article that said if heroin addicts can get a clean supply, they can live, function normally forever, with chronic constipation as the major side effect.

Part of the surgery prep paper should have been "complete laxative 24 hours before surgery and then liquids/juices only"

yeah Boo you gotta have that baby by the third day or you are literally in deep shit.

CosmicCowboy
03-09-2015, 07:15 PM
Well fuck. Still have the freaking staph infection. Gonna have to take the knee back out.

The Reckoning
03-09-2015, 07:20 PM
damn that sucks. good luck.

boutons_deux
03-09-2015, 07:21 PM
Well fuck. Still have the freaking staph infection. Gonna have to take the knee back out.

shit, that sucks. What a mess, they gotta get it right this time. I get you're already on heavy antibiotics?

ElNono
03-09-2015, 07:26 PM
good luck dude

Winehole23
03-09-2015, 07:31 PM
good luck, CC

CosmicCowboy
03-09-2015, 07:33 PM
shit, that sucks. What a mess, they gotta get it right this time. I get you're already on heavy antibiotics?

Heavy orals. Will go back to giving myself IV infusions with a PICC line after they pull the knee. Been randomly squirting knee juice the last two weeks. Blows out the bandage.

ChumpDumper
03-09-2015, 07:34 PM
Damn. Make sure they wash their hands real good this time.

CosmicCowboy
03-09-2015, 07:40 PM
This wasn't surgeon error. My surgeon is a freaking magician. Just bad luck to be allergic to the internal stitches they used the first time.

Winehole23
03-09-2015, 07:40 PM
fucking MRSA

ChumpDumper
03-09-2015, 07:42 PM
This wasn't surgeon error. My surgeon is a freaking magician. Just bad luck to be allergic to the internal stitches they used the first time.Was a joke.

Good luck going forward.

boutons_deux
03-09-2015, 08:11 PM
Heavy orals. Will go back to giving myself IV infusions with a PICC line after they pull the knee. Been randomly squirting knee juice the last two weeks. Blows out the bandage.

orals screw up the gastrointestinal biome. Need to take probiotics and similar stuff, fermented veg like sauerkraut, to get the biome back in good shape after the antibiotics are over.

CosmicCowboy
03-09-2015, 08:45 PM
Thanks boo got that covered.

baseline bum
03-09-2015, 09:05 PM

God damn. Thought you were in the clear man.

pgardn
03-09-2015, 09:18 PM
Hospitals...

Sterile places they are not.

Come out of it like Tom Brady... better.

RandomGuy
03-11-2015, 03:40 PM

Ow. Sorry to hear.

They have made some rather interesting advances in fighting bacteria recently, but the research is not quite up to the point where it has been made into a workable therapy. Will try to find the article, since I would guess you will have some time lying around to read.

Get better.

boutons_deux
03-11-2015, 03:43 PM
Chris Rock said Robitussin works really well, just pour some in there.

TheSanityAnnex
03-11-2015, 04:19 PM
Chris Rock said Robitussin works really well, just pour some in there.

Make sure to use the kind with only Dextromethorphan, no Acetaminophen or Guaifenesin. Two bottles over two hours will have you feeling great.

SnakeBoy
03-11-2015, 06:39 PM
Ow. Sorry to hear.

They have made some rather interesting advances in fighting bacteria recently, but the research is not quite up to the point where it has been made into a workable therapy. Will try to find the article, since I would guess you will have some time lying around to read.

Get better.

Well there are phages, but he'll have to go to Georgia (the country) to get treatment.