PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Magic: Kobe should retire if Jim Buss does not surround him with talent next year.

unforeseen
02-10-2015, 10:55 PM
Former Los Angeles Lakers star Magic Johnson said he has serious questions about whether Jim Buss can turn around the team, which is mired in the worst period in franchise history.

"Jim is trying to do it himself and trying to prove to everybody that this was the right decision that my dad gave me the reins," Johnson said Tuesday on ESPN's "First Take." "He's not consulting anybody that can help him achieve his goals and dreams to win an NBA championship."

Buss became the Lakers' executive vice president of basketball operations -- the top person on the basketball decision-making side -- after his father, legendary owner Jerry Buss, died in February 2013.

However, the past two Lakers seasons have been filled with tumult. The team posted a franchise-high 55 losses last season and, at 13-38 entering Tuesday's game against the Denver Nuggets, is on pace to lose even more games this season.

"And I really believe this: [Kobe] should ... say to Jim and them, 'Look, if you don't sign one of these free agents [this offseason], man, I'm just not going to play next year,'" Magic Johnson said Tuesday.
Johnson, who has been an outspoken critic of Jim Buss since the Lakers hired Mike D'Antoni as coach over Phil Jackson in 2012, called this upcoming offseason the "biggest" of Buss' life.

"If he doesn't have a big summer with a free agent," Johnson said, "it looks like they'll have a good draft pick. Put that together with a good free agent, you can be right back into the mix. If this summer, that doesn't happen where they can sign a great player, it's over for us."

The Lakers will have enough salary-cap space to sign at least one max-level free agent this summer, and several big names loom, including Marc Gasol, LaMarcus Aldridge, Goran Dragic and Rajon Rondo.

Later, in an appearance on Stephen A. Smith's SiriusXM/Mad Dog Sports Radio show, Johnson again questioned Buss, although this time he did so while referencing Lakers star Kobe Bryant.

"And I really believe this: [Kobe] should ... say to Jim and them, 'Look, if you don't sign one of these free agents [this offseason], man, I'm just not going to play next year,'" Johnson said.

Bryant's contract expires after the 2015-16 season.

Smith then asked Johnson whether he would advise Bryant to retire if the Lakers don't acquire a marquee free agent in the summer of 2015.

"You almost gotta say that because if you come back with the same level of talent, you're just going to have the same results," Johnson said. "You know, so, look, Kobe, put pressure on Jim to say, 'Look, man, you've got to bring me some talent, some help, so that this can be a great season for the Lakers and a great season for me, being my last season, and then I can retire.'"

Lakers coach Byron Scott defended Buss before Tuesday's game.

"I've been with Jim now since July," he said. "I haven't spent a ton of time with him, but the guy has an unbelievable passion for this game and this organization. I know he wants this thing to work out extremely well, like we all do. So I didn't read or hear [Johnson's] comments and really can't comment on that, but I do know Jim is going to do everything he can in his power to get this organization back to where it should be. We both, and myself included, and him and [GM] Mitch [Kupchak] and [president] Jeanie [Buss], all feel this is a championship organization, and that's what we're trying to get back to."

Scott said he has talked to Johnson seven or eight times throughout the season and the conversations haven't focused on basketball.

"He's been just like we all are; he understands the process that we've got to go through this right now," Scott said. "What I did read a little bit this afternoon, it's a big summer. And I think everybody feels that way."

Johnson, in his remarks on "First Take," also tried to shoot down the notion that his criticism is an effort to gain influence within the Lakers' organization.

"He's mad at me because I criticize him," Johnson said of Jim Buss. "Then he's like, 'Magic is trying to get a job with the Lakers. Magic is trying to bring me down.' No, I'm not. I'm telling the truth about the situation and trying to make us better and trying to get us into a winning situation in terms of back to being relevant. So you get mad at me when I tell the truth."

Johnson reiterated that he is close with Buss' sister Jeanie.

"Dr. Buss raised Jeanie and I up together," Johnson said. "When Jeanie went to USC business school, he was bringing us along together. Jim was not part of the Lakers. He never really saw our championship years. Jim was doing his own thing.

"He came back later on, and Dr. Buss knew he wanted the kids to decide later on to run the basketball side because Jeanie was definitely going to run the business side. I like Jim as a person. But at the same time, a great CEO or person who is in a powerful position will surround himself or put together a team to help them achieve their goals and dreams. Jim has not done that."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/12307956/magic-johnson-rips-jim-buss-says-kobe-bryant-put-foot-down

djohn2oo8
02-10-2015, 11:00 PM
This kind of thinking is what's going to hinder a rebuild.

daslicer
02-10-2015, 11:04 PM
Lakers need to jettison Kobe the moment they do they will be able to easily rebuild. Their are ton of FA's out there who would sign with the Lakers if Kobe was not on the roster. Hopefully the Lakers don't ever figure this out.

Spurs 4 The Win
02-10-2015, 11:09 PM
This circus gets better every passing week, what a mess of an organization, Lakers are so fucked

MultiTroll
02-10-2015, 11:20 PM
His usual delusional bullshit.

Hard to tell who is a bigger faggot, Kobme or Magic.

MultiTroll
02-10-2015, 11:27 PM
Lakers need to jettison Kobe the moment they do they will be able to easily rebuild. Their are ton of FA's out there who would sign with the Lakers if Kobe was not on the roster. Hopefully the Lakers don't ever figure this out.
So true.
While it kills me that many good players would sell out and join Laker Entertainment and Riggin Inc, they would.

DMC
02-10-2015, 11:43 PM
Dumb chimp take by dumb infected chimp. Kobe shouldn't retire. He should play another 20 years if they continue to pay him. I can see it now, Kobe shows up for the Christmas Day game, plays a few minutes, limps off to applause after going 3-25 and does the post game presser where he disavows any responsibility for the outcome, and pretends to pretend he's not injured. Then he and Nash go rock climbing together for the remainder of the season since Nash will still be on the payroll as well.

Meanwhile the team comprised of 3 1st overall picks and a poor man's Carmelo (that would be Carmelo himself) proceed to go for another lottery pick.
It will be like Elvis in the war... you know.

Clipper Nation
02-10-2015, 11:45 PM
:lol Even former Lakers are finally admitting what everyone knows: that Kirby is an overglorified role player who needs stacked teams to carry him to rings.

Kool Bob Love
02-10-2015, 11:49 PM
This is honeslty getting worse than 6 each passing year. I love it.

RD2191
02-10-2015, 11:51 PM
:lol Even former Lakers are finally admitting what everyone knows: that Kirby is an overglorified role player who needs stacked teams to carry him to rings.

MultiTroll
02-10-2015, 11:54 PM
"Dr. Buss raised Jeanie and I up together," Johnson said. "When Jeanie went to USC business school, he was bringing us along together. Jim was not part of the Lakers. He never really saw our championship years. Jim was doing his own thing.

"He came back later on, and Dr. Buss knew he wanted the kids to decide later on to run the basketball side because Jeanie was definitely going to run the business side.
You farking talking about raising up kids and bringing kids along? :lol
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2014/news/141013/ej-johnson-768.jpg

Aremid
02-11-2015, 01:24 AM
The tired old shitbag Bryant

Biernutz
02-11-2015, 02:10 AM
Will Kirby be a traitor to Laker nation if he ask for a trade or a release
to play for a team that has a chance in the playoffs?

Killakobe81
02-11-2015, 07:12 AM

That is silly. I agree Kobe is a problem and maybe Jim is too. But why would anyone sign in LA with our owners infighting our coaching a old school hard ass and no star to attract other players?

Lakers need to develop a team around Randle and the pick . Figure out if Byron stays. Kobe only has one year left ...
and I am disappointed in Magic he Is doing more harm than Kobe and his contract. Even if he is speaking true how does this help? Talk to them in private. Publicly just say you wish you could be a consultant bHisJim has not seemed your advice and shut your mouth. He has never given Jim a chance. And everyone scapegoating him. Jim may suck but he doesn't deserve all the blame Jeani e was the one putting up Dwight billboards and pining for Phil kn and off the court also Mitch is culpable as well ugggh Fuck!!!!!

da_suns_fan
02-11-2015, 09:45 AM
Is there any way in HELL Kobe would walk away from 25 million dollars in guaranteed money?

Dex
02-11-2015, 09:55 AM
My, how the mighty have fallen.

Dex
02-11-2015, 09:56 AM
Is there any way in HELL Kobe would walk away from 25 million dollars in guaranteed money?

No way. He'll just play 30 games again, get "hurt", and then ride that gravy train all the way out the door.

Killakobe81
02-11-2015, 10:24 AM

no he would not that is why Magic is full of crap ... it's a sad day when my childhood sports hero is being petty and vindictive versus the family that took him in as a "adopted" son. Sure, that was the elder Buss but I cannot see any situation where I would publicly bash the son (repeatedly) of a dear friend, mentor and boss.

So disappointed in Magic, here.

MultiTroll
02-11-2015, 10:39 AM
Darn, i misread this. I thought we had a 2nd spoof thread going this morning. :lol
"Kobe should ask Magic to retire if Buss does not surround him with enough talent next year."

Chomag
02-11-2015, 10:54 AM
How can they with all the monies Kobe is robbing?

Dex
02-11-2015, 11:00 AM
How can they with all the monies Kobe is robbing?

Not to mention they'd have to actually play WITH Kobe...even pussy Gasol could only keep his mouth shut for so long.

SupremeGuy
02-11-2015, 11:01 AM
Cause it's the organization's fault that kirby is a selfish prick...

CitizenDwayne
02-11-2015, 11:14 AM
Lakers need to develop a team around Randle

Are you convinced that Randle will be a major piece moving forward? He needs some major offensive work, as his primary scoring method seems to be charging wildly into traffic and throwing the ball up.

He has a lot of potential, but I just don't really know if I'd count on him being one of your 2 stars moving forward, at least not if you want to get back to relevance anytime soon.

Killakobe81
02-11-2015, 11:34 AM
Are you convinced that Randle will be a major piece moving forward? He needs some major offensive work, as his primary scoring method seems to be charging wildly into traffic and throwing the ball up.

He has a lot of potential, but I just don't really know if I'd count on him being one of your 2 stars moving forward, at least not if you want to get back to relevance anytime soon.

I dont know for sure he will be a star. All i know he has talent and needs to be developed. When I say build around I am not saying he is Anthony Davis or will ever be that good. I'm just not in the sign Marc Gasol, deAndre Jordan or Love to max money to just to appease a whiny fan-base (or Kobe for that matter) camp. Randle is a piece but my guess his ceiling is a #2 ... but you need to find that out. We are so bad we will keep our pick this year and you build around him and Randle. I like Okafor, but Towns is starting to grow on me. A front court with either plus Randle is a good start, but Towns may be the better fit. We are so bereft of talent any two of the 3 is better than the Hill/Boozer/Sacre poo-poo platter.

Durant is not coming.
Neither Love (thank goodness)
We lucked out on not retaining Dwight and not signing Melo ...

So stop the pipe dreams and rebuild. Ignore Magic Dodgers aint winning chips either with his sign big free agent strategies ... and that's WITH the best pitcher in baseball.

Killakobe81
02-11-2015, 11:36 AM
And Lakers are always relevant even when we suck. We just wont be a contenders for a while and that is PK as long as I see improvement next season even if our record still sucks. I would absolutely pay $ to watch Randle and Towns or Okafor and Randle.
Right now Lakers tough to watch for free ...

CitizenDwayne
02-11-2015, 12:05 PM
I dont know for sure he will be a star. All i know he has talent and needs to be developed. When I say build around I am not saying he is Anthony Davis or will ever be that good. I'm just not in the sign Marc Gasol, deAndre Jordan or Love to max money to just to appease a whiny fan-base (or Kobe for that matter) camp. Randle is a piece but my guess his ceiling is a #2 ... but you need to find that out. We are so bad we will keep our pick this year and you build around him and Randle. I like Okafor, but Towns is starting to grow on me. A front court with either plus Randle is a good start, but Towns may be the better fit. We are so bereft of talent any two of the 3 is better than the Hill/Boozer/Sacre poo-poo platter.

Durant is not coming.
Neither Love (thank goodness)
We lucked out on not retaining Dwight and not signing Melo ...

So stop the pipe dreams and rebuild. Ignore Magic Dodgers aint winning chips either with his sign big free agent strategies ... and that's WITH the best pitcher in baseball.

Towns is gonna be something special. Okafor probably has the more advanced post game at this point, but Towns is really maturing at a phenomenal rate. People forget that the platoon system is bound to hinder individual stats.

In my opinion, you can't really go wrong with either Okafor or Towns. It'll just be a shame if the Lakers' poor management fucks up the growth of their young players in order to appease Kobe or the dumber members of their fanbase.

In terms of their relevance, I'm not sure. They're pretty much the Knicks at this point. Always talked about due to their huge market, but treated as a laughing stock by most knowledgeable fans of the league.

MultiTroll
02-11-2015, 12:11 PM
In terms of their relevance, I'm not sure. They're pretty much the Knicks at this point. Always talked about due to their huge market, but treated as a laughing stock by most knowledgeable fans of the league.
Exactly. If they come back, or probably when they come back, it won't be due to any *rebuilding* or such.
It will be a bullshit Gasol for Kwame scam, Dereek Fisher out of Utah, Kream making Coors beer comercials while claiming to be Muslum and needing to be near the LA mosques. Oh they may make an occasional legit move like drafting Bynum. But the pieces will be put in place by marketing $$.

Killakobe81
02-11-2015, 12:13 PM
Towns is gonna be something special. Okafor probably has the more advanced post game at this point, but Towns is really maturing at a phenomenal rate. People forget that the platoon system is bound to hinder individual stats.

In my opinion, you can't really go wrong with either Okafor or Towns. It'll just be a shame if the Lakers' poor management fucks up the growth of their young players in order to appease Kobe or the dumber members of their fanbase.

Nah. I get the comparison, but we still pull ratings (though they have dropped). We also get more article clicks and sell more merchandise. Knicks havent won in a loooong time. It's only been 5 years for us. A laker team with either of those plus Randle you can market locally and nationally I doubt we will be featured much nationally the next few years but I bet wit will be more than NYK. This will take time and I can accept it if I get to see young talent develop.

ambchang
02-11-2015, 03:41 PM
Kobe will stay on if Lakers get FA
FA is known to shun LA because Kobe
So Kobe will threaten retirement
Does that mean the FA will then come to LA?
If so, does Kobe come back?
Will the FA leave then?
Catch 22.

Mr Bones
02-11-2015, 04:29 PM
Yeah, it's a vicious circle. Laker fans want Kobe to get some help and to go out with dignity, but no one wants to play with a past-his-prime-but-still-alpha Kobe. They're bad this year, and it's a good bet that some or most of their 8 free agents leave next summer, following Dwight, Pau, and Jodie Meeks, which means they could very plausibly be worse next year.

sook
02-11-2015, 04:32 PM
this fucker is demented now.

mavsfan1000
02-11-2015, 04:38 PM
He should've ended after saying Kobe should retire.

Jenks
02-12-2015, 11:33 AM
This is why Donald Sterling didn't want him at his games.