PDA

View Full Version : RIP Tark the Shark

Old School 44
02-11-2015, 12:19 PM
Tarkanian Dies At Age 84
Hall of Fame coach Jerry Tarkanian, who led UNLV to the 1990 national title and won 729 games at the Division I level, died at age 84 after being hospitalized for a respiratory ailment and infection.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12309855/hall-fame-coach-jerry-tarkanian-dies

Dex
02-11-2015, 12:23 PM
RIP to the great towel chewer

Old School 44
02-11-2015, 12:36 PM
From Wikipedia...

Tarkanian was offered the Los Angeles Lakers head coaching job in 1977, but declined, continuing to coach college basketball. Tarkanian was signed to coach the San Antonio Spurs in 1992, not long after leaving UNLV. However, he disagreed with Spurs owner Red McCombs over the need for experience at point guard. The Spurs had lost Rod Strickland to free agency in the offseason (he signed with Portland), leaving the Spurs without a point guard with significant NBA experience. The Spurs had signed Vinny Del Negro, a combo-guard from the Italian League, to replace Strickland. They also signed NBA journeyman Avery Johnson, formerly of the Houston Rockets, to a one-year contract. Tarkanian felt that the Spurs wouldn't be competitive without an experienced point guard, but McCombs disagreed. As a result, Tarkanian was fired after only 20 games with a 9–11 record. He received a $1.3 million settlement, which he used to fund a lawsuit against the NCAA.

wildbill2u
02-11-2015, 12:56 PM
Tark, we hardly knew ye! RIP

Budkin
02-11-2015, 01:01 PM
RIP Tark.

http://rack.3.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDE1LzAyLzAzLzljL2xlZnRzaGFyay5lMzk0My5naWYKcA l0aHVtYgkxMjAweDk2MDA-/50c18ddc/e1a/leftshark.gif

Silver&Black
02-11-2015, 01:10 PM
RIP to the great towel chewer

Exactly....I can't picture him without a towel in his mouth.

RIP Tark

Beaverfuzz
02-11-2015, 01:11 PM
Many Spurs fans on this board would have to google his name to find out anything about him. The great towel chewer, Honeymoon In Vegas!

http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/20/74/15/4440918/3/628x471.jpg

FromWayDowntown
02-11-2015, 01:13 PM
The New York Times story the morning after Tark's firing:

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/12/19/sports/pro-basketball-20-and-out-tarkanian-is-fired-by-spurs.html

It's such a marked difference between the chaos of that era of Spurs basketball and what followed with the change of ownership from McCombs to McDermott's group and then to Holt's group, which ultimately led to the gut-based decision to make an unheralded Golden State assistant coach the Spurs' general manager and VP of basketball operations:

http://www.expressnews.com/news/local/article/McDermott-defied-convention-in-hiring-Popovich-6054675.php#/0

cantthinkofanything
02-11-2015, 01:25 PM
those UNLV teams were great.

reminds me how much I used to love watching college bball back in the day.

baseline bum
02-11-2015, 01:28 PM
Sucks man, I loved his UNLV teams.

BillMc
02-11-2015, 01:47 PM
I grew up near Las Vegas. Tark once yelled at me to get out the road from his car window when I was wandering through the Thomas and Mack Parking lot one summer after an AAU swim practice. Also, met him briefly once in a mall. Nice enough. He was absolutely worshiped by my friends who attended UNLV.

SupremeGuy
02-11-2015, 01:48 PM
Many Spurs fans on this board would have to google his name to find out anything about him. The great towel chewer, Honeymoon In Vegas!

http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/20/74/15/4440918/3/628x471.jpg:flag:

JWest596
02-11-2015, 02:24 PM
Great college coach.....RIP......as a Spurs coach....<shudders>

elbamba
02-11-2015, 03:38 PM
I remember attending a meet and great for season ticket holders right before the season where he addressed the crowd with Sean Elliott. There was only about 50 people there so I don't think it was all season ticket holders. Both of them were really nice and posed for pictures. The only thing I remember from his talk was hyping up Lloyd Daniels. Daniels had a pretty good first year and then flamed out after that. Tark was a real nice guy though, from what I could remember.

cantthinkofanything
02-11-2015, 03:54 PM
I remember attending a meet and great for season ticket holders right before the season where he addressed the crowd with Sean Elliott. There was only about 50 people there so I don't think it was all season ticket holders. Both of them were really nice and posed for pictures. The only thing I remember from his talk was hyping up Lloyd Daniels. Daniels had a pretty good first year and then flamed out after that. Tark was a real nice guy though, from what I could remember.

HBO did a documentary on UNLV basketball starting from Tark's hiring. Entertaining show...Jimmy Kimmel who grew up in Vegas spoke quite a bit. Anyway, Tark does seem like a good guy that took care of his players. No matter how he recruited them. LOL.

DMC
02-11-2015, 04:40 PM
RIP

RD2191
02-11-2015, 04:42 PM

http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/20/74/15/4440918/3/628x471.jpg
And? Sorry we aren't all 75.

EVAY
02-11-2015, 05:01 PM
The very first Spurs game I ever saw in person was at the Hemisfair Arena and Tarkanian was the Spurs' coach. I didn't follow pro basketball much then and was surprised that the former UNLV coach was in the Pros.

Favorite memory of a Tarkanian basketball team when he was at UNLV: They were playing Duke and there had been a big stink about fans in the college games calling out and trashing members of the opposing teams. So the entire Student body section of Duke held up huge signs to the UNLV players saying "Welcome, Fellow Scholars"!

baseline bum
02-11-2015, 05:02 PM
From Wikipedia...

Tarkanian was offered the Los Angeles Lakers head coaching job in 1977, but declined, continuing to coach college basketball. Tarkanian was signed to coach the San Antonio Spurs in 1992, not long after leaving UNLV. However, he disagreed with Spurs owner Red McCombs over the need for experience at point guard. The Spurs had lost Rod Strickland to free agency in the offseason (he signed with Portland), leaving the Spurs without a point guard with significant NBA experience. The Spurs had signed Vinny Del Negro, a combo-guard from the Italian League, to replace Strickland. They also signed NBA journeyman Avery Johnson, formerly of the Houston Rockets, to a one-year contract. Tarkanian felt that the Spurs wouldn't be competitive without an experienced point guard, but McCombs disagreed. As a result, Tarkanian was fired after only 20 games with a 9–11 record. He received a $1.3 million settlement, which he used to fund a lawsuit against the NCAA.

Wow, who would have guessed that Vinny Del Negro would be a piece of shit starting point guard? Red McCombs is such a fucking faggot.

BatManu20
02-11-2015, 05:16 PM
Tark the Shark....

RIP. Great coach and that 1990 UNLV team was special.

Maddog
02-11-2015, 05:35 PM
From Wikipedia...

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/12/19/sports/pro-basketball-20-and-out-tarkanian-is-fired-by-spurs.html

It's such a marked difference between the chaos of that era of Spurs basketball and what followed with the change of ownership from McCombs to McDermott's group and then to Holt's group, which ultimately led to the gut-based decision to make an unheralded Golden State assistant coach the Spurs' general manager and VP of basketball operations:

http://www.expressnews.com/news/local/article/McDermott-defied-convention-in-hiring-Popovich-6054675.php#/0

Wow, who would have guessed that Vinny Del Negro would be a piece of shit starting point guard? Red McCombs is such a fucking faggot.

Brings up the whole meddling owner bit. It's really hard to imagine now as pointed out above how the Spurs where then.
Some of the decisions, you had an owner making impulsive moves (hiring Larry Brown, Tark) Letting Strickland go and replacing him with Del Negro.
Players with bad behavior. It was a mess.

Beaverfuzz
02-11-2015, 05:50 PM
And? Sorry we aren't all 75.

It's ok, you can admit you're a bandwagon fan.

RD2191
02-11-2015, 06:05 PM
It's ok, you can admit you're a bandwagon fan.
:lolno, just not old as dust.

Phenomanul
02-11-2015, 07:02 PM
From Wikipedia...

And yet everyone glosses over this fact when criticizing San Antonio's shortcomings in the post season during the Robinson years...

Beaverfuzz
02-11-2015, 09:41 PM
:lolno, just not old as dust.

You sound as if the 90's are so long ago. 1992 Fleer Tarkanian card! http://img.comc.com/i/Basketball/1992-93/Fleer/208/Jerry-Tarkanian.jpg?id=9f105830-60cf-4d9b-b36a-ea73e60784c7&size=zoom

Hemotivo
02-11-2015, 09:44 PM
R.I.P.

RD2191
02-11-2015, 09:45 PM
You sound as if the 90's are so long ago. 1992 Fleer Tarkanian card! http://img.comc.com/i/Basketball/1992-93/Fleer/208/Jerry-Tarkanian.jpg?id=9f105830-60cf-4d9b-b36a-ea73e60784c7&size=zoom
I was born 91.:lol

Beaverfuzz
02-11-2015, 09:50 PM

Lloyd Daniels-esque post.

Russ
02-11-2015, 10:02 PM
The only thing I remember from his talk was hyping up Lloyd Daniels. Daniels had a pretty good first year and then flamed out after that. Tark was a real nice guy though, from what I could remember.

Tark was a great college coach but didn't get the pro game.

He wanted to put the best athletes on the floor then lean back with his arms folded.

That's why he loved Sweet Pea (Lloyd Daniels) and couldn't understand why anyone would want Avery Johnson.

AJ was a nobody to Tark.

Still and all, Tark did it his way as the old Sinatra song goes. And he got his ring.

RIP. :toast

wildcardX
02-11-2015, 10:17 PM

Wow! 1991 I was in high school. Those were good years in college basketball. UNLV dominance those two years, Michigan's Fab 5 couple years after, Laetners perfect shooting game against Kentucky, GT Lethal Weapon 3 vs UNLV, Loyola's run in the tournament after Hank Gathers death; brings back memories. Damn I'm old.

I feel like I'm Greg Oden telling robdiaz about the good ol' days of basketball.

exstatic
02-11-2015, 10:22 PM
From Wikipedia...

It was WAY weirder than that. His agent just had a great meeting with Buss and Logo. He was supposed to call Tark afterwards, and then meet his wife for dinner. He did neither, and was found dead in the trunk of his Rolls in a hotel parking garage 4 days later.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/11/remembering-jerry-tarkanians-strange-nba-coaching-career/

RD2191
02-11-2015, 10:22 PM
Wow! 1991 I was in high school. Those were good years in college basketball. UNLV dominance those two years, Michigan's Fab 5 couple years after, Laetners perfect shooting game against Kentucky, GT Lethal Weapon 3 vs UNLV, Loyola's run in the tournament after Hank Gathers death; brings back memories. Damn I'm old.

I feel like I'm Greg Oden telling robdiaz about the good ol' days of basketball.
I'm picturing you smoking a pipe sitting on a recliner.:lol

Old School 44
02-11-2015, 10:38 PM
It was WAY weirder than that. His agent just had a great meeting with Buss and Logo. He was supposed to call Tark afterwards, and then meet his wife for dinner. He did neither, and was found dead in the trunk of his Rolls in a hotel parking garage 4 days later.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/11/remembering-jerry-tarkanians-strange-nba-coaching-career/

That's a crazy story...and they never did find out who killed him. The police suspect a mob hit. Apparently, he was involved with a lot of shady characters.

Twisted_Dawg
02-13-2015, 06:51 AM
From Wikipedia...

Tark was a great college coach but didn't get the pro game.

He wanted to put the best athletes on the floor then lean back with his arms folded.

That's why he loved Sweet Pea (Lloyd Daniels) and couldn't understand why anyone would want Avery Johnson.

AJ was a nobody to Tark.

Still and all, Tark did it his way as the old Sinatra song goes. And he got his ring.

RIP. :toast

Tark was fired because he was totally unprepared to be a NBA coach, and this is not to diminish McCombs stupidity and meddling. I recall Tark making Lloyd "Sweet Pea" Daniels the starting point and that was a disaster. Daniels was a troubled teenager right off the streets of Brooklyn. Tark had recruited Sweet Pea while the coach at UNLV. Tark was the type of coach that took troubled teens under his wing and became a father figure to them.

Twisted_Dawg
02-13-2015, 07:02 AM
From Wikipedia...

It was WAY weirder than that. Tark's agent just had a great meeting with Buss and Logo. He was supposed to call Tark afterwards, and then meet his wife for dinner. He did neither, and was found dead in the trunk of his Rolls in a hotel parking garage 4 days later.

Tark's agent a mafia hit?? Tark's hiring by McCombs and seemed to come out of nowhere particularly for a carnival hawker like McCombs. I always wondered if McCombs was "beholden" to the Mafia and they put some pressure on McCombs to hire Tark.

icango
02-13-2015, 01:29 PM
loved tark & lloyd just wish that would have ended better.

Beaverfuzz
02-13-2015, 02:03 PM

Exactly, great time for basketball all the way around. You did forget the Dream Team in 1992. The NBA on NBC!

ChumpDumper
02-13-2015, 02:13 PM
Man Red was a terrible owner. Small time.

wildcardX
02-13-2015, 05:39 PM
Exactly, great time for basketball all the way around. You did forget the Dream Team in 1992. The NBA on NBC!

Oh yeah, no doubt. I was focused on the college basketball memories back then as I hardly watch college ball now but who can forget the original Dream Team. Fun to watch and no other team was even a threat to them in the Olympics. I think their most difficult game was the warm up game against the college all-stars before the Olympics. I think Barkley was the most dominant player for USA during those Olympics, not sure.