PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Dominique Wilkins on Larry Bird

Infinite_limit
02-12-2015, 02:29 AM
“One of the first times I ever played against him, I went out for the opening tip and I went to shake his hand. He just stood there and looked at me stone-faced with his hands behind his back,” Wilkins said recently.

“I was like, ‘Whoa.' Then we were getting ready for the tip and he says to me, ‘You don't belong in this league, Homes.' I couldn't believe it, but it happened so fast, I didn't know what to think.

“He got up and said, ‘I like you, rookie. You've got(guts).' I was happy for a second, and then he said, ‘But I'm still going for 40 on you tonight.' ”
He then paused the story, stepped back and smiled.
“But I got him,” Wilkins said. “He only scored 39.”

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25063798/dominique-wilkins-shares-awesome-larry-bird-trash-talk-story

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/c0/03/0a/c0030a3408362c42eb275e46d51e46a9.jpg

Infinite_limit
02-12-2015, 02:36 AM
Clyde Drexler has a memory of Larry from his rookie year:

“I was guarding him my rookie year, he looked at me and he goes “you can’t stop me”…I looked at him and said “gosh, boy you’re so confident”. He goes “Confident? You’re a rookie, you don’t know anything!”
“He proceeded to score 10 straight points on me, coach took me out the game, he walks by and he’s laughing at me.”

“I remember the time when Larry got on a roll, started shooting the ball, every shot was going in. He run by the bench and goes “that’s a heat check to see how hot I am,” he runs by Frank Layden who’s the funniest guy in the league and Frank is coaching and Larry says to him:
“Hey, Frank, haven’t you got anyone on the bench who can guard me? Because nobody out here can.”
Frank looks down the Bench and he goes, ‘no!'”.

Michael Cooper shared this one:
“Larry walks in and says I hope all you guys in here are thinking about second place, because I’m winning this…’EXCUSE ME?!’
“And he started shooting and he just didn’t miss.”

Of course, he won, lifting his finger in the air before the final shot went in, and not even removing his warm up jacket.
The following year, in the same All-Star 3-point shooting contest Dale Ellis told the press that Bird didn’t have much to say this year. Bird said, “There’s no need to talk this time. We all know who’s going to win.”
Later on, after Craig Hodges won the NBA All-Star Game Three-Point contest in Bird’s absence, Hodges was asked if the victory was tainted because Bird hadn’t participated. “He knows where he can find me,” was Hodges retort.
Told of Hodges’ challenge, Bird replied, “Yeah, at the end of the Bulls bench.”

endrity
02-12-2015, 03:47 AM
Nice reply to Hodges :)

It's kind of weird, after their careers are over a lot of players have revealed some nasty stuff about some of the players they disliked. There was that whole Draxler-Magic debate a couple of years ago for example. But when it comes to Bird, everyone seems to love him eventhough he talked so much trash. Yet at the end of the day, people seem to think it was lovely and leave it at that. Same with Barkley, who also seems to have nothing but love coming his way.

On the other hand, people really hated Jordan, and you can sense it in many interviews that players of his era give about him. They aknowledge his greatness but still think he was a jerk.

LkrFan
02-12-2015, 03:48 AM
Bird used to talk a lot of shit. But then he would back it up. Assh:lolle

lefty
02-12-2015, 09:55 AM
lol I was thinking about Bird vs Wilkins yesterday for some reason

Bird was badass, he would make AdvancedAthleteWithBetterTrainingandNutritionAndAd vancedTacticalSchemes Kevin Durant cry :lol

Red Hawk #21
02-12-2015, 10:10 AM
"You don't belong in this league, Holmes." - Larry Bird
No wonder 'Nique proceeded to shit on him :rollin

vD_DXgjIq8o

hater
02-12-2015, 10:55 AM
old farts telling tall tales :lol

Jenks
02-12-2015, 11:38 AM
"You don't belong in this league, Holmes." - Larry Bird
No wonder 'Nique proceeded to shit on him :rollin

vD_DXgjIq8oAnd then Bird proceeded to get two more league MVPs on top of the one he already had at that point. But hey, slam dunk champion is a great legacy too!

Red Hawk #21
02-12-2015, 01:29 PM
And then Bird proceeded to get two more league MVPs on top of the one he already had at that point. But hey, slam dunk champion is a great legacy too!

But what does his MVP's have to do with this particular game? He said a man didn't belong in the league and then proceeded to try to block said man's dunk and ended up getting shitted on :rollin

Jenks
02-12-2015, 03:42 PM
But what does his MVP's have to do with this particular game? He said a man didn't belong in the league and then proceeded to try to block said man's dunk and ended up getting shitted on :rollinNBA Mt Rushmore (of slam dunk contest winners) :lol

Red Hawk #21
02-12-2015, 05:00 PM
NBA Mt Rushmore (of slam dunk contest winners) :lol

Hmm let's see... 26,668 career points, 24.8 Career PPG, 12th on the NBA's All-Time Scoring List, Led the League in scoring at 30.3 points per game in 1986, Scored over 20ppg for 11 consecutive seasons, 9 time All-Star (Consecutive Appearances), Named to 7 NBA All teams and the list goes on.

Atlanta Hawks to unveil Dominique Wilkins Sculpture on March 6th (http://http://www.foxsports.com/south/story/atlanta-hawks-to-unveil-dominique-wilkins-sculpture-at-philips-arena-on-march-6-021015)

http://i60.tinypic.com/vifek6.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/2e19gqt.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/r7vbt1.jpg

phw0L7xPgOk

Red Hawk #21
02-12-2015, 05:03 PM
Damn Jenks is one stupid motherfucker :lol pussy why didn't you research Nique before deciding to post? Well you're a GNSF so what else should we expect :rollin

lefty
02-12-2015, 05:35 PM
DO was fun to watch and is one of the most charismatic athletes ever

ANd he should have won the 88 dunk contest

TDfan2007
02-12-2015, 06:14 PM
:lol @ the morons trying to claim that Wilkins wasn't a great player. He went toe-to-toe with Larry Bird and just about played him to a standstill on multiple occasions.

As for Bird's trash talk, the dude was a straight up G. One of the greatest trash talkers and big game performers in sports history.

Phillip
02-12-2015, 08:00 PM
No one here said Wilkins wasn't a great player.

tbh, Red Hawk #21 is just getting butthurt for no reason.

SupremeGuy
02-12-2015, 09:35 PM
No one here said Wilkins wasn't a great player.

tbh, Red Hawk #21 is just getting butthurt for no reason.This. :lol

Cry Havoc
02-12-2015, 09:43 PM
Nice reply to Hodges :)

It's kind of weird, after their careers are over a lot of players have revealed some nasty stuff about some of the players they disliked. There was that whole Draxler-Magic debate a couple of years ago for example. But when it comes to Bird, everyone seems to love him eventhough he talked so much trash. Yet at the end of the day, people seem to think it was lovely and leave it at that. Same with Barkley, who also seems to have nothing but love coming his way.

On the other hand, people really hated Jordan, and you can sense it in many interviews that players of his era give about him. They aknowledge his greatness but still think he was a jerk.

Same thing is sort of happening right now in MMA. Conor McGregor is an upstart from out of nowhere and he's absolutely killing fools in the octagon. He basically talks nonstop trash. Much like Chael Sonnen, he's seen as lovable, where as a lot of fighters who do the same are hated.

I can't help but think there's a large racial component involved in this. Lots of fighters get shit for talking obscene amounts of trash but right now Conor is basically the hottest ticket in the MMA world.

Red Hawk #21
02-12-2015, 09:48 PM
But hey, slam dunk champion is a great legacy too!

NBA Mt Rushmore (of slam dunk contest winners) :lol

Yup, this is the description of a great player tbh

Red Hawk #21
02-12-2015, 10:09 PM
Same thing is sort of happening right now in MMA. Conor McGregor is an upstart from out of nowhere and he's absolutely killing fools in the octagon. He basically talks nonstop trash. Much like Chael Sonnen, he's seen as lovable, where as a lot of fighters who do the same are hated.

I can't help but think there's a large racial component involved in this. Lots of fighters get shit for talking obscene amounts of trash but right now Conor is basically the hottest ticket in the MMA world.

Yup, a guy Chael Sonnen was loved for his trash talk while people scrutinize Bones for not being "humble". Great double standard.

spursparker9
02-12-2015, 10:12 PM
So much SWAG in the 80s...

now its gone

Phillip
02-13-2015, 01:34 PM
Yup, this is the description of a great player tbh

Is there anything untrue about what he said?

From what I gathered, he simply said that Wilkins was a slam dunk champ, and would be on the "NBA Mt Rushmore of Slam Dunk Contest" winners.

I don't see anywhere in which he said that Nique was not a great player.

Stalin
02-13-2015, 02:43 PM
So much SWAG in the 80s...

now its gone

You're ignorance appals me, scro. Don't you know that today's NBA showcases the most aesthetically appealing basketball in NBA history.

lefty
02-13-2015, 02:59 PM
You're ignorance appals me, scro. Don't you know that today's NBA showcases the most aesthetically appealing basketball in NBA history.
:lol