PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Should the dunk contest end?

Jacob1983
02-13-2015, 03:13 AM
I was watching some of the old ones on NBATV tonight and I was just thinking about how terrible they were. Let's be honest, the dunk contest has been way past it's prime probably since Vince Carter and Jason Richardson won. After that, it's been shit ever since. I think the reason why is there is no originality to it anymore. Everything has been done before and fans are just dunked out. Let's not forget that spares are the only ones that the NBA can get to participate in it. The all stars and super stars and even average players wimp out and refuse to participate mainly because they're afraid that they will suck in it.

I think it's time to kill this thing. It's a joke now and waste of time. Honestly, there should only be a 3 point contest and maybe a game of HORSE and 21 with 3 on 3 on Saturday night before the all star game.

apalisoc_9
02-13-2015, 03:16 AM
Keep it...

I've seen some 720's and between the legs near the free throw line dunks in amateur videos..If an NBA player does, everyone would explode.

spursparker9
02-13-2015, 03:17 AM
Scrap Dunk contest and get a 1-on-1 contest

DJR210
02-13-2015, 03:24 AM
Scrap Skills Challenge and get a 1-on-1 contest

FIFY

apalisoc_9
02-13-2015, 03:32 AM
honestly even the All-star game is a joke..

People are just not that interested with the a game anymore..

I mean the three point contest is the most awaited event this year...even bigger than the all-star game :lol

elmanutres
02-13-2015, 04:22 AM
I think the nba's problem is that they don't have the balls to cut the dunk contest. They have tried year after year to make it interesting and it's just been a complete fail. and yet they won't stop because 1. the dunk contest is tradition, and for the longest time, the drawer of saturday, so they want to keep it. And 2, they are too scared to replace it with something like 1 on 1 cause they know none of the stars want to participate in it. hearing the announcers go crazy cause howard slapped a sticker on the backboard is stupid

UZER
02-13-2015, 08:28 AM
They cut it in 1998, then the lock out of 99 happened. They brought it back just for vince.

DMC
02-13-2015, 08:30 AM
Dunks with no defense or not in game aren't impressive, at all. I've never seen an impressive dunk that wasn't during the course of a game. Imagine a contest for NFLers to run to the endzone with no one else on the field, and finish with the flashiest dance display.

The NBA makes a lot of money from monkeyball, they aren't going away from it. They should however, because it's become too commonplace to see spectacular dunks. If it only happened in the game, that would make them more rare and more interesting.

RsxPiimp
02-13-2015, 09:11 AM
^ Pretty much. In game dunks are always great. Exhibitions are pretty flaccid.

hater
02-13-2015, 09:15 AM
:lmao at all these bitches crying about the dunk contest and the allstar game, year after year. just don't watch and stop crying damn

Silver&Black
02-13-2015, 10:23 AM
I think the NBA should keep the dunk contest. The problem is not the contest itself....it's the lack of superstars competing in it. It's a fucking travesty that Lebron James has never competed in the dunk contest. Jordan did, Kobe did.....

:lmao at all these bitches crying about the dunk contest and the allstar game, year after year. just don't watch and stop crying damn

hater......

my nigga.

jeebus
02-13-2015, 10:33 AM
I haven't watched it in years and since it's at the end of the Saturday events, I don't care. After det 3 point contest, I switch that fucker to something else. Course, if I check spermtalk after that, I'll see a shitload of comments saying how much they hate the dunk contest yet they're w:loltching it.

Det celebrity game tonight is sure to be another shit show. Remember when they had at least some B list celebrities? Now it's a coonfest of people begging to be funny and a couple hours of non stop cringe.

Splits
02-13-2015, 10:33 AM
Allow trampolines.

Clipper Nation
02-13-2015, 10:42 AM
I'd be fine with just cancelling the whole shitty-ass All-Star Weekend and just giving the players a week off, tbh.

Clipper Nation
02-13-2015, 10:46 AM
I think the NBA should keep the dunk contest. The problem is not the contest itself....it's the lack of superstars competing in it. It's a fucking travesty that Lebron James has never competed in the dunk contest. Jordan did, Kobe did.....
Kirby doing it is no different from all the similar role-player scrubs that do it now, tbh.

And the real problem is that pretty much everything's been done before. The same old dunks aren't going to get any less played-out if LeBron does them instead of Giannis. The lame-ass props aren't going to be any less corny if Durant's using them instead of LaVine. Plus, when a star DOES enter the dunk contest nowadays, everyone whines that their dunks aren't good enough and that the contest is rigged if they win.

I know vanilla mainstream fans love to use any excuse to bash today's players, but the obsession with the fucking dunk contest is the most pathetic tactic I've seen :lol

Spur-Addict
02-13-2015, 10:57 AM
This contest differs from a 3 point contest, or a skills challenge as the success of it depends on creativity. After a while, you can only spin so many times, have so many arm movements, jump over so many objects/people, and bounce the ball off certain things. Eventually it becomes a rehash of previous contests/contestants. In the end, it'll just be about seeing the best pure athlete doing as many combinations as possible. It's similar to the half pipe in skateboarding or snowboarding. I don't hate the event, but it's a shame some of the elite players with elite athleticism do not participate. I do watch, with the hope of at least one or two dunks that have never been done on the NBA stage. Looking forward to the 3 point contest this year though.

Silver&Black
02-13-2015, 11:00 AM
Kirby doing it is no different from all the similar role-player scrubs that do it now, tbh.

And the real problem is that pretty much everything's been done before. The same old dunks aren't going to get any less played-out if LeBron does them instead of Giannis. The lame-ass props aren't going to be any less corny if Durant's using them instead of LaVine. Plus, when a star DOES enter the dunk contest nowadays, everyone whines that their dunks aren't good enough and that the contest is rigged if they win.

I know vanilla mainstream fans love to use any excuse to bash today's players, but the obsession with the fucking dunk contest is the most pathetic tactic I've seen :lol

Wow....Clipper Nation using this opportunity to bash Kirby....I'm shocked.

Tell me this....are you going to watch the dunk contest? I'm guessing like me....you're not. Now how bout this hypothetical....say Durant, Westbrook, and Lebron were competing. Would you watch it then? You're gotdamn right you would....It doesn't matter that "everything's been done before".

hater
02-13-2015, 11:34 AM
Prime Carter and Richardson would be killing it in the dunk contest today. The decline of the dunk contest has nothing to do with "everything has been done". That's bullshit.

NBA shoot themselves in the foot by making it a clown contest. And inviting clowns like Coward and little shit Nate Turdinson.

They need to go back and make it enticing for the real athletes. Put a big bag of money up for grabs. I'm talking about a MILLKION DOLLARS

baseline bum
02-13-2015, 12:17 PM
I haven't watched it in years and since it's at the end of the Saturday events, I don't care. After det 3 point contest, I switch that fucker to something else. Course, if I check spermtalk after that, I'll see a shitload of comments saying how much they hate the dunk contest yet they're w:loltching it.

Det celebrity game tonight is sure to be another shit show. Remember when they had at least some B list celebrities? Now it's a coonfest of people begging to be funny and a couple hours of non stop cringe.

The dunk contest is like The Simpsons. It was so awesome many years ago and some of us tune in hoping against hope that it can ever regain some of its former glory, even for just a minute or two. But it never does.

Silver&Black
02-13-2015, 01:39 PM
Prime Carter and Richardson would be killing it in the dunk contest today. The decline of the dunk contest has nothing to do with "everything has been done". That's bullshit.

NBA shoot themselves in the foot by making it a clown contest. And inviting clowns like Coward and little shit Nate Turdinson.

They need to go back and make it enticing for the real athletes. Put a big bag of money up for grabs. I'm talking about a MILLKION DOLLARS

Let's think about the 3 point contest this year. Talk about "everything has been done". It's not like they're shooting trick shots for 3 now. Nobody is shooting hook shots, granny shots, or throwing the ball backwards over their heads. There is only one way to shoot the ball......

But, why is everybody so excited for the 3 point contest this year? It's because guys like Curry, Klay, Harden, Korver, Kyrie, Harden, and Ferrari (my nigga) are competing. These guys are stars....and a couple of them are legitimate MVP candidates.

Nobody wants to see Plumlee........................................... .....