PDA

View Full Version : Gallipoli (2015)

DeadlyDynasty
02-13-2015, 04:04 AM
First part was pretty good...check it out if you like WWI stuff.

jeebus
02-14-2015, 08:36 PM
Channel?

Pauly D
02-14-2015, 10:02 PM
2015? Wtf are you talking about?

DeadlyDynasty
02-15-2015, 06:23 AM
Channel?

Some Australian channel I think...I saw it on the torrents so downloaded it. The violence is extremely tame and some of the acting is bad, but I'm a WWI fanboi so I'm just happy there's more stuff out.

2015? Wtf are you talking about?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3577058/

jeebus
02-15-2015, 09:53 AM
Some Australian channel I think...I saw it on the torrents so downloaded it. The violence is extremely tame and some of the acting is bad, but I'm a WWI fanboi so I'm just happy there's more stuff out.

My nigga. I'll have to check it out.

ohmwrecker
02-15-2015, 10:30 AM
The 1981 movie is great. This seems unnecessary and not very good.

Pauly D
02-15-2015, 12:58 PM
The ending of the movie brought about some man tears like nothing else I've ever seen

z0sa
02-15-2015, 10:48 PM
On a related note, I just watched a 60s BBC documentary called "the great war" on youtube. Strongly recommended.

HI-FI
02-16-2015, 12:15 AM
yeah the original was great. sign of things to come from Weir and Gibson.

ChumpDumper
02-16-2015, 12:26 AM
On a related note, I just watched a 60s BBC documentary called "the great war" on youtube. Strongly recommended.Still the best overall.

Been watching Apocalypse: World War I which shows sometimes on Nat Geo or American Heroes Channel. Pretty good, but the colorization bugs me so I downloaded the episodes and set my media player to greyscale.

I mentioned it before, but if you are into podcasts, Dan Carlin is trying to take on WWI in Hardcore History. He's up to a fifth 3-4 hour episode and can only imagine he'll have to do at least two more if he's going to cover Versailles.

I'd really like to see a feature of documentary make use of CGI to show the true scale of some of the battles of WWI. There have been many good features about how shitty it was but they always end up seeming really small to me.

Pauly D
02-16-2015, 12:43 AM
Speaking if WW1, Lawrence of Arabia. Top 5 movie ever. I fucking adore that movie. Nearly 4 hrs of poetry. And I fucking hate hearing anything about the length of these kinda movies. Fuckers can binge watch episodes on Netflix but can't watch one great story start to finish?

HI-FI
02-16-2015, 12:58 AM
Speaking if WW1, Lawrence of Arabia. Top 5 movie ever. I fucking adore that movie. Nearly 4 hrs of poetry. And I fucking hate hearing anything about the length of these kinda movies. Fuckers can binge watch episodes on Netflix but can't watch one great story start to finish?
it's a strange film for me. i knew it was great, yet i avoided it for years. maybe it was the Spaceballs reference that made me not take it serious :lol

i must've seen it when i was probably in college, so I can't say I was cool like other great films i saw when i was younger. but it is something else. that opening shot always sticks with me, the silhouette of Lawrence getting on his bike from a weird angle. and then it just slowly turns into something epic. It's not in my top 5 but i have no problem if others have it there, it's one of the great ones. i really need to see it in 70mm. still pissed I didn't get to see Indecent Vice in 70mm (yes I know it doesn't deserve to be mentioned alongside Lawrence, I just like seeing films in that format).

DeadlyDynasty
02-16-2015, 10:39 AM
Still the best overall.

Been watching Apocalypse: World War I which shows sometimes on Nat Geo or American Heroes Channel. Pretty good, but the colorization bugs me so I downloaded the episodes and set my media player to greyscale.

I mentioned it before, but if you are into podcasts, Dan Carlin is trying to take on WWI in Hardcore History. He's up to a fifth 3-4 hour episode and can only imagine he'll have to do at least two more if he's going to cover Versailles.

I'd really like to see a feature of documentary make use of CGI to show the true scale of some of the battles of WWI. There have been many good features about how shitty it was but they always end up seeming really small to me.
How old is the Apocalypse series you're referring to?

ChumpDumper
02-16-2015, 10:46 AM
How old is the Apocalypse series you're referring to?2014. Translated French production.

DeadlyDynasty
02-16-2015, 10:59 AM
2014. Translated French production.

Alright, thx on the heads-up, haven't seen it yet.

DeadlyDynasty
02-16-2015, 11:02 AM
There was a russian-ottoman movie about some battles in Anatolia that came out somewhat recently...i still need to check it out.

Would like to see more stuff on the alpine white war too

jeebus
02-16-2015, 11:02 AM
Oh yeah, I saw that Apocalypse one. It's pretty good. Way better than that abortionfest that came out last year, "The World Wars".

jeebus
02-16-2015, 11:08 AM
https://www.youtube.com/user/Liludk/videos

This page has decent ones, like trench detectives. I liked those tbh.

z0sa
02-19-2015, 04:04 PM
Still the best overall.

Cool stuff man. I never was much into WW1 but since I finished watching the great war, I felt a surge of interest in the time period. I had no clue it was the best but it doesnt surprise me. Now Im watching the world at war, BBCs production on WW2.

jeebus
02-20-2015, 01:14 PM
Cool stuff man. I never was much into WW1 but since I finished watching the great war, I felt a surge of interest in the time period. I had no clue it was the best but it doesnt surprise me. Now Im watching the world at war, BBCs production on WW2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zViwCUtQ5o&list=PLF99D52C080463C76

ChumpDumper
02-20-2015, 02:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zViwCUtQ5o&list=PLF99D52C080463C76Yeah, that's the next best.