PDA

View Full Version : Thunder: Kevin Durant thinks players should vote for the awards

spursparker9
02-13-2015, 06:48 PM
NEW YORK—Last season, Kevin Durant won his first NBA MVP award. This year, he was selected as a Western Conference All-Star despite missing more than half of the Thunder’s games. He’s clearly one of the most widely respected players around the league, and deservedly so. He’s arguably the second-best player in the world.

Now, Durant wants to change the way the end-of-season awards are given out. He wants to take it out of the hands of the media and put it into the hands of players.

“They have too much power,” Durant said at All-Star Media Day in Manhattan on Friday. “The players know each other inside and out. The media isn’t in the film room and goes for sexy names.”

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/13/kevin-durant-thinks-players-should-vote-for-the-awards/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

lefty
02-13-2015, 08:55 PM
Beta :lol

daslicer
02-13-2015, 09:20 PM
Disagree with him on this considering if that was the case Duncan doesn't win any of his league mvp awards since KG and Jason Kidd were socially more popular in league circles. For the most part the media gets it right when it comes to these awards. They are some screw ups like Malone getting the MVP in '99 or Kobe getting defensive first team when he was clearly a shit defender but other then that the media usually gets it right.

JamStone
02-13-2015, 09:29 PM
Blame coaches for Kobe's all defensive honors. Until last season it was voted by the coaches, not the media.

Coaches and players have biases and can get it wrong too.

Cloud786
02-13-2015, 10:04 PM
When Kobe (9x) has more All-Defensive First Team Honors than Bruce Bowen (5x), you know this award is rigged and everyone who votes on this should be stripped of their ability to vote.

Venti Quattro
02-13-2015, 10:24 PM
When Kobe (9x) has more All-Defensive First Team Honors than Bruce Bowen (5x), you know this award is rigged and everyone who votes on this should be stripped of their ability to vote.

In fairness to Bruce Bowen, his jersey was retired even though it shouldn't have been. Wonder if the people who voted on that should also be stripped of their ability to vote.

Arcadian
02-13-2015, 11:33 PM
Yeah, that makes sense. Nobody knows the players as well as other players.

Russo21
02-14-2015, 01:11 AM
I understand what Durant is saying and why but I have to disagree. For starters the players only play against MVP candidates up to 4 times per season, there are 78 other games to play in. Secondly with players being so busy playing an 82 game season, practice, traveling, attending public events, as well as having families to be around. Would fellow NBA players have the time to take that much note of who is having MVP calibre seasons? They have more things to worry about then taking notes about how other players competed for 82 games.

daslicer
02-14-2015, 01:32 AM
I understand what Durant is saying and why but I have to disagree. For starters the players only play against MVP candidates up to 4 times per season, there are 78 other games to play in. Secondly with players being so busy playing an 82 game season, practice, traveling, attending public events, as well as having families to be around. Would fellow NBA players have the time to take that much note of who is having MVP calibre seasons? They have more things to worry about then taking notes about how other players competed for 82 games.

Agreed I will never forget during Splitter's rookie season they asked Ron Artest about him and his response was "Who is this guy" and people laughed but Artest replied and said "Seriously I have heard of this guy." When they told him who Splitter was Artest response was something like this "Really the spurs got another 7fter I gotta look that up." Granted Splitter wasn't a star but it goes to show you these guys don't really pay attention to opposing teams as much as people like to believe.

UZER
02-14-2015, 01:34 AM
Hes just mad at "Mr unreliable" and piggy backing off of lynchs hate the media right now which is cool to do right now.

DMC
02-14-2015, 01:09 PM
In fairness to Bruce Bowen, his jersey was retired even though it shouldn't have been. Wonder if the people who voted on that should also be stripped of their ability to vote.
Why should his number not have been retired? Isn't that up to the team? Or do you just want people to accept it at face value because you said so?

FkLA
02-14-2015, 01:44 PM
This would make sense if the league wasn't made up of uneducated, tatted up young men who would be parasites without basketball. Or if there wasn't any bias involved. In other words it's a terrible idea.

Kool Bob Love
02-14-2015, 01:47 PM

Says the fan who's team has chick hearn hangin in the rafters. Not one point scored by him. Pathetic.

apalisoc_9
02-14-2015, 02:18 PM
This would make sense if the league wasn't made up of uneducated, tatted up young men who would be parasites without basketball. Or if there wasn't any bias involved. In other words it's a terrible idea.

Venti Quattro
02-14-2015, 09:14 PM
Says the fan who's team has chick hearn hangin in the rafters. Not one point scored by him. Pathetic.

Ya I agree but Chick Hearn a legendary commentator, what can can we do. They had to honor him for his legendary commentator job. The voice behind the Lakers games on TV for more than 35 years...

Still,

:lol Retiring Bruce Bowen's jersey

Hey he was widely known for trying to injure his opponents, so he has some kind of a legacy...

jeebus
02-15-2015, 11:51 AM
Durbeta's been on the warpath with the media, trying to appear more like a man after being such a sissy cuck on the court his whole career.

http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/701281

:cry you're not my friends anymore! :cry

djohn2oo8
02-15-2015, 06:49 PM
Durbeta's been on the warpath with the media, trying to appear more like a man after being such a sissy cuck on the court his whole career.

http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/701281

:cry you're not my friends anymore! :cry

Dude gets to get make 20 mill on the court for playing ball, probably around 50-60 mill a year considering endorsements, and can't handle answering questions in the media.

jeebus
02-15-2015, 07:10 PM
Dude gets to get make 20 mill on the court for playing ball, probably around 50-60 mill a year considering endorsements, and can't handle answering questions in the media.

:cry shut up! shut up shut up shut up! :cry

:lol

DMC
02-15-2015, 07:12 PM
Duh-rant

RD2191
02-15-2015, 07:21 PM
What a faggot

DMC
02-15-2015, 07:28 PM
Actually I agree with KD on his take on the media, I just don't think he's genuine else he doesn't tell them.

DMC
02-15-2015, 07:35 PM
Ya I agree but Chick Hearn a legendary commentator, what can can we do. They had to honor him for his legendary commentator job. The voice behind the Lakers games on TV for more than 35 years...

Still,

:lol Retiring Bruce Bowen's jersey

Hey he was widely known for trying to injure his opponents, so he has some kind of a legacy...

You still haven't explained your reasoning. Bruce has been retired for years, and people are still trying to live up to his standards in SA. Avery Johnson, that one I don't get, but Bruce's jersey should be up there.