PDA

View Full Version : The End of the One & Done? College Basketball looking into banning Freshman Players

cd021
02-15-2015, 10:16 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2015/2/14/8038431/freshmen-ineligible-college-sports-nba-age-limit

The Pac -12 and ACC already support the idea.

In other new the 3pt line and the dunk are expected to be banned:lol

If this happens alot more talent will be heading abroad for a season or will stay and join the D-League. Makes no sense for the NBA bound 18 year olds to go to college and not play for a season and not get payed.

NBA should look to reform the D-league as an alternative to college ball which is already painfully bad.

cjw
02-15-2015, 10:33 AM
College games can linger on forever if a team gets into the bonus early. And offenses turn into guys flying to the hoop and throwing themselves to the ground trying to get calls.

30 second shot clock is a must and they should revert to quarters so foul situations don't get out of hand (4 single / 6 double bonus).

Reason you don't see kids going straight to D League is the money stinks and in Europe they can be buried on the bench. NBA could offer classes to kids in D League (personal finance, etc.) to incentivize them a little more. Not that they're taking many more classes in their one year in college.

cd021
02-15-2015, 10:43 AM
College games can linger on forever if a team gets into the bonus early. And offenses turn into guys flying to the hoop and throwing themselves to the ground trying to get calls.

30 second shot clock is a must and they should revert to quarters so foul situations don't get out of hand (4 single / 6 double bonus).

Reason you don't see kids going straight to D League is the money stinks and in Europe they can be buried on the bench. NBA could offer classes to kids in D League (personal finance, etc.) to incentivize them a little more. Not that they're taking many more classes in their one year in college.

$25,000 is better than nothing, plus their have been several recent D-League players who have been taken in the first or early second round. Its already becoming a more viable option. If this happens players would at least consider playing there for a season.

I agree with the problems going abroad. But several of the top players would earn top dollar by going overseas. With the way scouting is, scouts know who is likely to be first rounders before they step onto the court post high school. Many players draft stock wouldn't be as affected by heading overseas and playing sparse minutes instead of staying and sitting out a year before heading to the NBA.

I actually went to the Davidson-UVA game in January. a 40 minute basketball game took 2 1/2 hours. It was brutal. 30 second shot clocks isn't going to be a major improvement, it needs to be 24 seconds to have a chance to save college basketball.

Russ
02-15-2015, 12:00 PM
The best freshman ineligible basketball story is still this one:

In 1965 the UCLA Bruins won the NCAA title without any of their freshman being allowed to play.

The next year, their freshman team was pretty good, too. The UCLA freshman team that year that played the defending national champs and beat them easily.

UCLA freshman Kareem Abdul Jabaar (then Lew Alcindor) led the charge, scoring 31 points against the varsity.

apalisoc_9
02-15-2015, 12:11 PM
This is beyond stupid...

It's only going to lower the quality of rookies in the future. Instead of making them ineligible, just make sophomores ineligible for the draft..

Seriously though you build talent and skill through play...

BatManu20
02-15-2015, 01:33 PM
Probably won't happen, but if it does, more players will just go play in Europe for a year or join a D-League team for a short stint. Non-issue.

daslicer
02-15-2015, 02:58 PM
Hopefully this happens only because I hate college basketball. This reform would ultimately destroy college basketball and causing a bunch of kids to join the d-league or go to Europe.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-15-2015, 03:11 PM
90 year old retired consultant. David Stern.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-15-2015, 03:12 PM
the 3 point line has to go, and what's up with the shorts these days?

unleashbaynes
02-15-2015, 03:21 PM
Something has to be done, but this isn't it. Too many rookies flop. The NBA has too many players taken in the lottery that don't pan out. It needs to be like baseball where if you go to college you gotta stay for at least 2 years.

RD2191
02-15-2015, 03:53 PM
Something has to be done, but this isn't it. Too many rookies flop. The NBA has too many players taken in the lottery that don't pan out. It needs to be like baseball where if you go to college you gotta stay for at least 2 years.
Yup.

daslicer
02-15-2015, 03:54 PM

Even if the kids go for 2 years you will see the same amount of busts taken in the lottery. College no longer develop kids to be great pro's like they did during the 20th century. One of the big factors you fail to acknowledge is the AAU has a huge influence among the development of young kids that they don't learn the proper fundamentals like they did back in the day and that transfers over to the college level. Also the kids that stay for 3-4 years tend to be scrubs when they enter the NBA or they are just not that good. On top of that that college doesn't teach good fundamentals just look at Kawhi his shot was crap in college and it took the spurs teaching him how to shoot properly to correct it. That is a skill that should have been taught to him at the college level not the pros.

cd021
02-15-2015, 05:10 PM

Not really there have been plenty of flops prior to the one and done. Its about perception.

The vast majority of the prep to pros were successes. Out of the 46 36 or 37 were at the very least rotation players. I.E

Going to school and extra year isn't going to automatically make anyone better. Thats really the flaw in Silvers logic.

Mr. Body
02-15-2015, 06:19 PM

Lots of rookies have always flopped, no matter what era or rules there have been.

This is more to save college basketball, which suffers from few stars and little continuity.

Beaverfuzz
02-15-2015, 10:30 PM
Yup.

Fuck, I agree with the kid here.

tholdren
02-15-2015, 10:42 PM

Lol shut the fuck up. The nba is the damn plague for honest basketball loving fans. In no other league can a team go on 20 point runs in every quarter of every game.

The problem lies in ghetto leagues that has media attention because kids are scoring 26 ppg in high school but these coaches teach no fundamental work or defense.

When people stop caring about who can dunk and start caring about players with all around game, that will be when the problem gets solved.

Players like carmelo Anthony, paul george, kevin love, kyrie irving......... shouldn't even be fucking relevant.

Das Texan
02-15-2015, 11:15 PM
Making the NBDL a true developmental league is the way to go really.

Designate that 2-3 players are NBDL players that are yours (all have to be under some certain age/experience)

Maybe expand the draft by a round at this point also.

Expand the NBDL to mandate each team have an affiliate and use it as a true developmental league. You can even have a European division if you want, makes your desire to expand globally more easily accessible.

DrunkTXLabrat
02-16-2015, 03:30 AM
Making the NBDL a true developmental league is the way to go really.

Designate that 2-3 players are NBDL players that are yours (all have to be under some certain age/experience)

Maybe expand the draft by a round at this point also.

Expand the NBDL to mandate each team have an affiliate and use it as a true developmental league. You can even have a European division if you want, makes your desire to expand globally more easily accessible.

very clever.

cjw
02-16-2015, 09:41 AM
Lol shut the fuck up. The nba is the damn plague for honest basketball loving fans. In no other league can a team go on 20 point runs in every quarter of every game.

The problem lies in ghetto leagues that has media attention because kids are scoring 26 ppg in high school but these coaches teach no fundamental work or defense.

When people stop caring about who can dunk and start caring about players with all around game, that will be when the problem gets solved.

Players like carmelo Anthony, paul george, kevin love, kyrie irving......... shouldn't even be fucking relevant.

You think college is actually fun to watch when you don't have an interest in the game? I could be in the minority here but I can tune into more NBA games each night than I can tune into college games each week. March Madness is a different beast given it's one and done.

I don't see any more huge runs in NBA than college either. Exacerbated by the fact that college teams go into horrific shooting slumps.

And I don't consider any of those players you mentioned relevant. Maybe it's top of mind given the All Star game, but two of those guys haven't made the playoffs and the other two couldn't get over the hump in the WCF. Heck, if you're concerned with "good basketball" the Heat took care of the ISO-Thunder in 2012.

tholdren
02-17-2015, 09:16 AM
You think college is actually fun to watch when you don't have an interest in the game? I could be in the minority here but I can tune into more NBA games each night than I can tune into college games each week. March Madness is a different beast given it's one and done.

I don't see any more huge runs in NBA than college either. Exacerbated by the fact that college teams go into horrific shooting slumps.

And I don't consider any of those players you mentioned relevant. Maybe it's top of mind given the All Star game, but two of those guys haven't made the playoffs and the other two couldn't get over the hump in the WCF. Heck, if you're concerned with "good basketball" the Heat took care of the ISO-Thunder in 2012.

Half of the pros don't know how to play defense and the other half dont. The nba gets fans like you to watch because of lack of fundamental play on both sides of the ball equals high scoring games.

Traveling carrying happen on every trip down in the nba. I can't stand that shit. Prime time players like harden James and Westbrook would be shooting like 18 percent if they weren't getting foul calls

cd021
02-17-2015, 09:33 AM
Half of the pros don't know how to play defense and the other half dont. The nba gets fans like you to watch because of lack of fundamental play on both sides of the ball equals high scoring games.

Traveling carrying happen on every trip down in the nba. I can't stand that shit. Prime time players like harden James and Westbrook would be shooting like 18 percent if they weren't getting foul calls

Colllege ball get a rep for :everybody plays defense". The game has gotten so bogged down, its not particularly hard to stop a team that takes 30 seconds for an contested jumper. Its more mediocre offense and average to slightly above defenses trying to stop them. Unwatchable.

tholdren
02-17-2015, 10:37 PM
Colllege ball get a rep for :everybody plays defense". The game has gotten so bogged down, its not particularly hard to stop a team that takes 30 seconds for an contested jumper. Its more mediocre offense and average to slightly above defenses trying to stop them. Unwatchable.

Not really. The kids who are still in college have to utilize ball movement to score. They arent going iso after a high pick. I have no idea why you would call that unwatchable as a spurs fan; the extra pass for an open three is about as college as you get.

At least in college the traveling and double dribble is called. Ghetto-playground trash that a majority of NBA teams showcase is garbage. I really thought the all star game was just another Warriors Clippers game.

I have no idea how this league keeps popularity in 5-10 years. No rivalries and influx of catering towards a certain demographic will never allow it to be the most popular sport. Once Gregg goes, I wont watch the NBA any more. I can go to the rec and see the same dumb shit

cd021
02-19-2015, 04:27 PM
Not really. The kids who are still in college have to utilize ball movement to score. They arent going iso after a high pick. I have no idea why you would call that unwatchable as a spurs fan; the extra pass for an open three is about as college as you get.

At least in college the traveling and double dribble is called. Ghetto-playground trash that a majority of NBA teams showcase is garbage. I really thought the all star game was just another Warriors Clippers game.

I have no idea how this league keeps popularity in 5-10 years. No rivalries and influx of catering towards a certain demographic will never allow it to be the most popular sport. Once Gregg goes, I wont watch the NBA any more. I can go to the rec and see the same dumb shit

College ball is trash, It really is bogged down. People like Jay Bilas to Jeff Van Gundy have mentioned that the rules need to be changed because how slow paced it is. I went to a UVA Davidson game, early this year and it took 2.5 hours to play a 40 minute game. UVA was waiting 30 seconds to shoot, if they missed, grab an offensive rebound and take another 32 seconds before scoring.

The Shot clock can't be 35. It has to be 24 or don't bother.

also :lol at "Ghetto playground-trash" whatever that is. I've played street basketball Its far from trash. College basketball is on its last legs, the one and done has depleted the talent and no player with 1st round talent would consider college basketball if they have to stay two years to play one season. They are barely surviving with the realization that they are exploiting college players for billions while giving them nothing.

The league is continuing to grow. In case you missed they signed a 16 billion dollar TV deal and big markets are signing record local TV deals. The NBA is only going to become more popular. BTW the Warriors have the best defense in the league just because the Warriors and Clippers play much faster than the rest of the league doesn't mean there isn't defense being played. Thats Charles Barley logic:lol