PDA

View Full Version : Rounding into form

Calispursfan11
02-17-2015, 09:59 AM
Spurs are rounding into form. I see a lot of pessimist cliffjumpers on here, worried that this is finally it for San Antonio. Barring injuries, and as assembled, however, this is the same team that destroyed the Heat last year. This is the same team that nullified the individual greatness of Lebron James and a squad with a couple all-stars and good role players (The Heat). No doubt we have some tough games ahead. The back to back with GS and the Clippers is likely to yield at least one loss but we are 25-10 with Kawhi and we are now seeing real signs of improvement from Tony. The Spurs have always been a second half team and if the trend continues, we are right back in the hunt regardless of Dallas' moves, the Cavs streak, the Hawks or the Warriors or Hard-on's beard.

Fireball
02-17-2015, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I am a pessimist. On paper, these are the same Spurs. But the Big Three are one year older and most importantly, after winning the title last season the whole team is satisfied - for good reason. Compared to a team that lost in the Finals in heartbreaking fashion that makes a huge difference. I still have not seen the competitive drive necessary to go through the West again. And soon it will be too late to climb up in the standings to at least have a realistic chance. No way they are able to go to the Finals without any HCA.

hater
02-17-2015, 10:06 AM
Championship is on Parker's health tbqh

this team goes as far as MVParker takes em

Dex
02-17-2015, 10:09 AM

Don't buy it. We said the same thing last year and the Spurs were able to win the 'ship with Parker playing 60% at best.

hater
02-17-2015, 10:11 AM
Don't buy it. We said the same thing last year and the Spurs were able to win the 'ship with Parker playing 60% at best.

disagree. Parker was the head of the snake. "great leadership" Pop said it to him in the Finals. Entire Heat defense can concentrated on Parker, that's why Kawhi got off.

and Parker was not 60% he was 80% IMO

Calispursfan11
02-17-2015, 10:11 AM
Yeah, I am a pessimist. On paper, these are the same Spurs. But the Big Three are one year older and most importantly, after winning the title last season the whole team is satisfied - for good reason. Compared to a team that lost in the Finals in heartbreaking fashion that makes a huge difference. I still have not seen the competitive drive necessary to go through the West again. And soon it will be too late to climb up in the standings to at least have a realistic chance. No way they are able to go to the Finals without any HCA.

I agree about the competitive drive thing. That's something they are currently lacking. Without that, there's a problem so that's key but they usually pick it up right around this time of year tbh.

RD2191
02-17-2015, 10:52 AM
Next 2 games will tell us a lot about the Spurs.

Spur|n|Austin
02-17-2015, 11:04 AM
I have a feeling Pop doesn't rest anyone on the upcoming B2B being that it's right after the ASB.

FromWayDowntown
02-17-2015, 11:15 AM
Of the first two games out of the break, the most important one from a seedings standpoint is the Clippers game, not just because the Clippers are closer in the standings, but also because the Spurs can clinch that tiebreaker with a win. If you can get the GST game, too, that's icing on the cake, but a useful result from this stage of the trip would be wins at LAC and Portland (again, with an eye towards at least not losing the tiebreaker with them) and the hope that you get the games against Utah and Sacramento that you're supposed to win, while getting at least one of the games in Phoenix or Golden State (each of which are the second night of a back-to-back).

SpursFan86
02-17-2015, 11:46 AM
On one hand, I'm pessimistic about how we've looked this year. I think Tim and Manu need to get much more rest in this latter part of the season, because they definitely seemed worn down from the heavy workload while guys were out. Parker has looked terrible, and I'd be more inclined to think he'll improve if he wasn't so mediocre last year as well. Diaw has taken a step back, but I still think he's just coasting. Kawhi has looked better, but his offense is still inconsistent. I hope we run less isos/post-ups come playoff time...really think those should only be used in cases where there's a mismatch.

On the other hand though, who is going to beat us in the West? GS and OKC are the main threats, and they'll likely be playing in the 1st round. Outside of them, who do y'all see us losing to? Memphis has improved this year but we still match up really well with them. I'm confident we'd beat them without HCA. Portland? Dallas? Houston? LAC? I'm not really sold on any of those teams beating us in a 7-game series.

So while we've certainly looked underwhelming, the rest of the West hasn't impressed me a ton either. Overall I think our chances of getting back to the Finals and repeating are somewhat decent...assuming we can stay healthy from here on out, of course.

FromWayDowntown
02-17-2015, 12:15 PM
The hypothetical game can get crazy sometimes, but there's an argument that the Spurs are 4 identifiable plays:

the Gasol 3 at the end of regulation in the 3OT MEM game

just about any play late in the first OT against PRT in the 3OT game

Young's crazy shot at the end of OT in the LAL game, and

the botched inbounds late against DET

from having the 3rd best record in basketball.

SpursFan86
02-17-2015, 12:49 PM
The hypothetical game can get crazy sometimes, but there's an argument that the Spurs are 4 identifiable plays:

Yes, this is worth mentioning as well. Like you said, you can draw these sort of things from lots of games...but those 4 you mentioned are clear, very unlikely occurrences that you can pinpoint. Even if we have average luck and only win 2 of those 4 (let's say Gasol/Young both miss their miracle shots), that puts us tied for 3rd in the West despite having a myriad of injuries. That's not something to scoff at.

Overall, I definitely think we're in better shape than our record indicates.

spurspokesman
02-17-2015, 02:54 PM
This is usually the time we get a real gauge on the spurs.

gameFACE
02-17-2015, 03:15 PM
Last year the Spurs won a Clips/Blazers B2B so I'm hoping for the same this week against the Clips/Dubs. They need all the double-count wins they can get. I don't care if they lose to the Jazz or Kings.

I was pessimistic every year since 2011 and they've proven me wrong every time so anything is possible

Sean Cagney
02-17-2015, 03:21 PM
Next 2 games will tell us a lot about the Spurs.

^^^^ This, they are not back yet until I see them beat some good teams.
Last year the Spurs won a Clips/Blazers B2B so I'm hoping for the same this week against the Clips/Dubs. They need all the double-count wins they can get. I don't care if they lose to the Jazz or Kings.

I was pessimistic every year since 2011 and they've proven me wrong every time so anything is possible
They better not lose to the Cavs or the Kings :lol. I would hope they win both those games and one of the other two. If they beat the good teams though I would not care if they lost one to either one of those teams but you ideally would like them to take both of the easy games.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-17-2015, 03:43 PM
I think the Spurs are still going to struggle a bit this month before rounding into form. They're still a step slow, IMO. I'm expecting them to not start peaking until sometime after March 1st.

SpurPadre
02-17-2015, 03:46 PM

Fuck that. I'm going to be there for the kings game so they damn better win!

gameFACE
02-17-2015, 05:33 PM
Fuck that. I'm going to be there for the kings game so they damn better win!

Hey, the more wins the better. Plus I love for the Spurs to fuck with DeMarcus Cousins temper :lol

Have a good time at the game!

ElNono
02-17-2015, 06:01 PM
Coasting, Non-Issue

SpurPadre
02-17-2015, 06:58 PM
Hey, the more wins the better. Plus I love for the Spurs to fuck with DeMarcus Cousins temper :lol

Have a good time at the game!

Thanks man. I also hope Sean baits Cousins again!

spurs10
02-17-2015, 08:52 PM
I think the Spurs are still going to struggle a bit this month before rounding into form. They're still a step slow, IMO. I'm expecting them to not start peaking until sometime after March 1st. Are you suggesting the Spurs will peak after March begins? :wow

TheGreatYacht
02-17-2015, 09:35 PM

mkurts
02-17-2015, 09:44 PM
disagree. Parker was the head of the snake. "great leadership" Pop said it to him in the Finals. Entire Heat defense can concentrated on Parker, that's why Kawhi got off.

and Parker was not 60% he was 80% IMO

If that crap last year was Parker at 80% - the team is in some deep shit

The Whopper
02-17-2015, 09:45 PM

Fair points, but where does the accidental tip-in by Asik at the end of the Pelicans game fit in? That was the least likely of all.

Strategic
02-17-2015, 10:18 PM
Coasting, Non-Issue
^

FromWayDowntown
02-17-2015, 10:18 PM
Fair points, but where does the accidental tip-in by Asik at the end of the Pelicans game fit in? That was the least likely of all.

No doubt. Hence my caveat that the hypothetical game isn't really the basis to evaluate teams.

There are probably some other game changing late-game plays that went the Spurs' way and have slipped my mind.

Still, I think there is a point in saying that the team might not be as pedestrian as the record would suggest.

Andthentherewas21
02-17-2015, 10:21 PM

True, but on the other hand the Spurs were 30 seconds and up 5 points from winning a championship in 2013. As fans we should take solace in the fact the Spurs haven't been getting blown out, but at the same time they get credit for the games they win, not the ones they narrowly lose. I definitely understand the point your trying to get across and agree with it to an extent, just think we need to acknowledge that the issues closing out close games is bigger than a lot of fans want to believe.

ElNono
02-18-2015, 01:52 AM
Manu is really the catalyst.... hope he can have a 2nd part of the season like last season, tbh...

phxspurfan
02-18-2015, 02:40 AM
I think the Spurs are still going to struggle a bit this month before rounding into form. They're still a step slow, IMO. I'm expecting them to not start peaking until sometime after March 1st.

http://d2tq98mqfjyz2l.cloudfront.net/image_cache/1267551672392848.jpeg

spurs10
02-18-2015, 02:46 AM
Manu is really the catalyst.... hope he can have a 2nd part of the season like last season, tbh... Manu is looking good. Yes, he is going to have to be the "catalyst" he was last year, but Tim is going to have to keep playing at this high level, and Tony will have to turn the corner. TP seemed to do just that in the Heat game on 2/6. I think TP has been coasting more than anyone, as if he is saving a little something for the end of the season and playoffs.

Sean Cagney
02-18-2015, 03:50 AM
Manu is looking good. Yes, he is going to have to be the "catalyst" he was last year, but Tim is going to have to keep playing at this high level, and Tony will have to turn the corner. TP seemed to do just that in the Heat game on 2/6. I think TP has been coasting more than anyone, as if he is saving a little something for the end of the season and playoffs.

All of the above will have to happen. Kawhi will have to continue being himself as well and developing, all of that has to come together for them to make any kind of run.

99 Problems
02-18-2015, 04:57 AM
Red Mamba & Dirk (ASG) have both dunked this season. I'm reading into that that Spurs are on target :lobt2:

hater
02-18-2015, 10:34 AM

:tu

they will start peaking when Parker raises it up a notch. and yes that will probably be in March

Gospursel
02-18-2015, 10:45 AM
As I remember it, I didn't become convinced last season that the spurs had the drive and passion until game 7 of the first round of the playoffs. They showed flashes of great play and had some decent wins (and a lot of bad losses to good teams) before the playoffs, but it wasn't until they HAD TO WIN that I started to see champions. I'll reserve judgment until then.

02-18-2015, 12:22 PM
Too early to declare victory. Spurs are still the number 7 seed when many here predicted them to be the 3 or 4 seed by the all star break (:lol). The Spurs are in a tough Western Conference and it will be a grind to get HCA just in the first round. With the brutal upcoming road stretch coming up, I don't expect the Spurs to make any jump in the standings until after March. But they better go on a good win streak in March because there is very little time left to climb the standings.

xellos88330
02-18-2015, 03:32 PM
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Arts/Arts_/Pictures/2012/12/19/1355935545255/Russell-Crowe-in-A-Beauti-009.jpg

Nice reference. LOL!!!

EVAY
02-18-2015, 03:39 PM
Too early to declare victory. Spurs are still the number 7 seed when many here predicted them to be the 3 or 4 seed by the all star break (:lol). The Spurs are in a tough Western Conference and it will be a grind to get HCA just in the first round. With the brutal upcoming road stretch coming up, I don't expect the Spurs to make any jump in the standings until after March. But they better go on a good win streak in March because there is very little time left to climb the standings.

This is well said.

The notion that the Spurs can move up in the standings by playing as well as they played AFTER the first 6 games of the first round last year assumes that the other teams cooperate by losing more than the spurs.

As my friend the attorney says, that assumes facts not in evidence.

I hope they are right. But the Spurs can only control what their games look like any more. Unfortunately, we are in the position of not controlling the standings any more by winning out.

Best of luck to the Spurs for the last 29 games! Hopefully, no more injuries to our guys.