PDA

View Full Version : algebra...

The sone
09-02-2005, 04:27 PM
I need help in algebra and i have no where else to go, do you really think the geniuses at spurs talk would be my first choice? I can already hear all the screwballs making smart ass comments on my level of intelligence...im past it. I need help and I only have this weekend to catch up or sink into the pit that is whithdrawl. I refuse to believe that i am unable to comprehend the concepts of x's and y's presented to me in class when properly explained. Truth be told I dont think my professor speaks english but since its math all he has to know is numbers. All that aside I am able to meet anytime, anyplace over the course of the weekend. I can provide compensation in the form of dinner or drinks, but I refuse to "Drink and Derive". If you are up for it and have the knowledge I would love to be your padawan. HELP!!!!!

Horry For 3!
09-02-2005, 04:28 PM
I am in Algebra....

ZStomp
09-02-2005, 04:30 PM
Damn, I wish I could help but I can't. And I'm in the next room!!

Sorry bro, but that's how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

The sone
09-02-2005, 04:30 PM
thats like saying your "your mom goes to college"...man i need help

TOP-CHERRY
09-02-2005, 04:34 PM
I am in Algebra....
I think what Horry meant to say was "I'll help you".

The sone
09-02-2005, 04:36 PM
horry, you go to utsa?

TOP-CHERRY
09-02-2005, 04:38 PM
Why don't you go to the tutoring centers?

The sone
09-02-2005, 04:39 PM
they are closed
and wont be opened till tue

Horry For 3!
09-02-2005, 04:39 PM
horry, you go to utsa?
Nope. CBC in Beeville.

The sone
09-02-2005, 04:40 PM
trust me when i say i have looked everywhere...im soooooo dumb....excuse me while i lament myself...

The sone
09-02-2005, 04:41 PM
beeville??

TOP-CHERRY
09-02-2005, 04:41 PM
You need help in something particular, or everything?

The sone
09-02-2005, 04:44 PM
im right at the beggining so im sure anyone with even a mild background can help. i think my biggest problem is with fractions and procedure, or order of operations. the thing is i have the answers i just cant figure out how to get there, ya know.

ZStomp
09-02-2005, 04:44 PM
Sone, go to Beeville...while you're there you can visit family at the State Penitentiary. :lmao

usckk
09-02-2005, 04:45 PM
I would help, but I live in TN. Anything that can be taught over the net?

The sone
09-02-2005, 04:45 PM
z you suck. sitting in the living room eating fish sticks...you suck, why dont you go feed tina.

ZStomp
09-02-2005, 04:47 PM
z you suck. sitting in the living room eating fish sticks...you suck, why dont you go feed tina.

And watching Home Improvement!

Horry For 3!
09-02-2005, 04:47 PM
beeville??
Yup.

TOP-CHERRY
09-02-2005, 04:48 PM
im right at the beggining so im sure anyone with even a mild background can help. i think my biggest problem is with fractions and procedure, or order of operations. the thing is i have the answers i just cant figure out how to get there, ya know.
... So you don't get how the book explains it?

Trainwreck2100
09-02-2005, 04:48 PM
I'm in calc 1, what part of algebra are you studying

usckk
09-02-2005, 04:50 PM
The Sone, get on AIM and I can help now.

The sone
09-02-2005, 04:50 PM
... So you don't get how the book explains it?

i do but certain problems raise other problems

The sone
09-02-2005, 04:51 PM
I'm in calc 1, what exactly are you studying

alg. with calc. its business alg. fairly simple. if youre in calc then you should breeze through this

The sone
09-02-2005, 04:51 PM
aim name "doggiewater"

ZStomp
09-02-2005, 04:54 PM
Ask him what doggiewater means. :lol

Bandit2981
09-02-2005, 05:02 PM
you can PM me with questions as well, ive been through Cal III

atlfan25
09-02-2005, 05:04 PM
I am in Algebra....
whattttttttt?????????????????

junior high algebra by any chance????

TOP-CHERRY
09-02-2005, 05:07 PM
you can PM me with questions as well, ive been through Cal III
I might have to ask for your help later on...

:lol

Horry For 3!
09-02-2005, 05:24 PM
whattttttttt?????????????????

junior high algebra by any chance????
:stfu atlfan

atlfan25
09-02-2005, 05:36 PM
you are my master

anything you say

The sone
09-02-2005, 06:32 PM
much thanks to all those who offered and helped. just so you know im gonna bug you for more help later...college is hard and im not that bright...

Guru of Nothing
09-02-2005, 07:36 PM
Isn't Travis2 the resident math geek?

This probably won't work, but post a problem or two with which you are having problems grasping, and let's see if someone can explain in such a way that the light bulb goes on. It will give the people who comprehend algebra a chance to develop their writing skills.

FYI, lots of people have huge mental roadblocks when it comes to mathematics. You are not alone. My brother, who is a junior high school principle (and has a Master's degree and is working on a Ph.D.), failed college algebra twice; it was the last course he completed to fulfill his B.A. degree requirements.

And then there is my ex-wife. I've seen horses that have a better grasp of math.

Guru of Nothing
09-02-2005, 07:44 PM
...im not that bright...

Ever considered politics as a career choice?

Shelly
09-02-2005, 09:17 PM
I suck at math. Everytime the kids have a math question, especially my oldest, my standard answer is, "Go ask your father."

However, I think it takes a certain skill to teach math. I took Algebra in 9th grade AND had a tutor and flunked it. Both teacher and tutor sucked at explaining it to me. I took it again in 10th grade withOUT a tutor and got As and Bs. He just knew how to explain it well.

However, I couldn't do Algebra now to save my life :oops

Dex
09-02-2005, 09:25 PM
Letters...in Math? This isn't the fucking alphabet. :pctoss

baseline bum
09-02-2005, 11:00 PM
Fractions are merely equivalence classes of subsets of the direct product of the smallest set containing of the empty set and every set that can be constructed from the empty set by taking the union of the set and the set containing the set with itself, by saying two elements are equivalent if and only if the product of the first component of the first element and the second componet of the second element is equal to the product of the second component of the first element and the first component of the second element, where the empty set is the set that has nothing in it. Hope that cleared things up.

ZStomp
09-02-2005, 11:06 PM
Fractions are merely equivalence classes of subsets of the direct product of the smallest set containing of the empty set and every set that can be constructed from the empty set by taking the union of the set and the set containing the set with itself, by saying two elements are equivalent if and only if the product of the first component of the first element and the second componet of the second element is equal to the product of the second component of the first element and the first component of the second element, where the empty set is the set that has nothing in it. Hope that cleared things up.

I have no idea what you just said.

baseline bum
09-02-2005, 11:07 PM
For order of operations just remember this phrase:
Please Execute My Dumb-Ass Sister

1. Parentheses (i.e., 5 * (6-2) = 5 * 4 = 20)
2. Exponents (i.e, (4+1)^2 = 5^2 = 25)
3. Multiplication (i.e., 5 * 6 - 2 = 30 - 2 = 28)
4. Division (i.e., 30/5 - 2 = 6 - 2 = 4)
5. Addition
6. Subtraction

midgetonadonkey
09-02-2005, 11:11 PM
I wish I could do math. I can barely do basic arithmatic.

Trainwreck2100
09-02-2005, 11:17 PM
Math RULES!!!!!!!

baseline bum
09-02-2005, 11:18 PM
I have no idea what you just said.

It's simple....

you take the empty set and set that to 0
The empty set exists by the Axiom of Separation
you take the union of the empty set and the set containing the empty set ....
.. 0 U {0} = 1
1 exists by the Axiom of Union
ie, 0={}
1 = {0}
2 = 1 U {1} = {0} U {{0}} = {0,{0}} = {0,1}
3 = 2 U {2} = {0,1,2}
4 = 3 U {3} = {0,1,2,3}

The Axiom of Infinity guarantees you can make a set by continuing with this process, and the smallest set that satisfies this is the natural numbers N={0,1,2,3,...}. Then N X N = {(0,0), (0,1), (0,2), ..., (1,0), (1,1), (1,2), ...., (2,0), (2,1), (2,2), ...}

Then you define the integers Z={0,-1,1,-2,2,-3,3,...} as equivalence classes of N X N equivalent in that for any (a,b) in N X N, (a,b) === (c,d) if and only if
a + d = b + c ... ie, (a,b) represents a - b.

Then you define the fractions Q = Z x (Z - (0,0)) as equivalence classes of members such that (p,q) = (s,t) if and only if p * t = s * q ... (p,q) represents p/q

cmc$purs
09-02-2005, 11:21 PM
Now my head hurts ...thanks :pctoss

Guru of Nothing
09-02-2005, 11:27 PM

You are the NBADan of Math.

baseline bum
09-02-2005, 11:35 PM
You're the NBADan of making fun of NBADan.

E20
09-02-2005, 11:39 PM
PM Baseline Bum he seems to be a programmer so he could help you with practically anything math related.

travis2
09-03-2005, 09:21 AM
Guru, I'm an engineer...baseline is a mathematician (I think)

Bandit is also an engineer.

sone, just post your problems in a thread and someone will take a look...

The sone
09-03-2005, 11:33 AM
Guru, I'm an engineer...baseline is a mathematician (I think)

Bandit is also an engineer.

sone, just post your problems in a thread and someone will take a look...

my feet smell, one arm is longer than the other, im going blind in one eye, my hair is falling out, my back hurts, when i pee it smells like an ashtray, when i climb stairs i aways fart, if i sneeze i pee a little, i dont have next monts rent, my dog bit me and took my pancakes, my roommate always sleeps with my dates, and i pulled a hangnail all the way to my elbow today. can anyone help?

The sone
09-03-2005, 11:34 AM
actually i already got the help i needed but i will write your names down and hunt you down like cattle when i need help again. the lights upstairs are very very dim...

ShoogarBear
09-03-2005, 11:38 AM
PM Baseline Bum he seems to be a programmer so he could help you with practically anything math related.
Programmers are some of the worst mathematicians out there.

ZStomp
09-03-2005, 12:02 PM
my feet smell, one arm is longer than the other, im going blind in one eye, my hair is falling out, my back hurts, when i pee it smells like an ashtray, when i climb stairs i aways fart, if i sneeze i pee a little, i dont have next monts rent, my dog bit me and took my pancakes, my roommate always sleeps with my dates, and i pulled a hangnail all the way to my elbow today. can anyone help?

:wtf :wow

How come I don't know about this??

Faccia di Angelo
09-03-2005, 02:14 PM
I would have helped out but I can't. Math scares me. Although I did like Algebra out of all of them. But you shouldn't feel bad about it. You're a very smart guy.

*Math story*

I remember once in HS we were asked by my Chemistry teacher if we wanted extra points on one of our exams if we tried out for our Academic Decathalon team. I thought what the hell, I could use some extra points. So I took the test required kinda just blowing through it not giving it much thought and when he graded them he said I scored really high, what he considered the cream of the crop and wanted me to try out for a slot over the summer. So I did, since I was a book worm during HS and thought it would be worth a shot. Everything went pretty good until we got to the Math part and into Trig and that's when I hit a wall. It would just not register for the life of me! I couldn't grasp it. I remember moments when we would be studying and I would be hearing people say, "ahh, yes. Okay, I get it. Ohhh..I see it now!" And I'm sitting there thinking, WTF are you seeing??! I don't see it! While staring at the chalk board it felt like I was looking at one of those paintings real popular a few years back where you had to stare for a long while to see the picture show up. Only nothing ever showed up for me. :(
I felt so dumb :oops Thats when I knew for sure Math was my enemy. I ended up dropping tryouts after that. It wasn't for me, and it didn't help either that all those people wanted to do every day all summer was just study. I just wasn't cool with that. :lol

Faccia di Angelo
09-03-2005, 02:29 PM
:wtf :wow

How come I don't know about this??
cochino!

ZStomp
09-03-2005, 02:46 PM
cochino!

it took you that long to ge it?

E20
09-03-2005, 06:41 PM
Man, I could have sworn I posted this :

Way before Baseline Bum posted, I think I was the 3rd post on the second page..........wierd. :wow