PDA

View Full Version : Aw crap... Walmart sues Texas

RandomGuy
02-18-2015, 07:49 AM
Wal-Mart filed a lawsuit in an Austin federal court on Thursday challenging a Texas law that forbids the company from owning and operating liquor stores in the state.

The lawsuit says the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission code prevents Wal-Mart from obtaining a permit to sell hard alcohol because it is a publicly traded corporation.

Wal-Mart spokesman Lorenzo Lopez said the company is seeking a “fair and level playing field so we can offer our customers a full assortment of adult beverages.”

“This is counter to Texas’ belief in free enterprise and fair competition, limits our customer’s choice and keeps the price of spirits artificially high, all of which harm Texas consumers,” Lopez said in an email.

Wal-Mart, which holds licenses to sell beer and wine at 546 locations in Texas, is also challenging a provision of the law that would prevent the company from owning more than five liquor stores if the company did become eligible for a liquor license.

http://www.texastribune.org/2015/02/12/wal-mart-sues-texas-right-sell-liquor/

DarrinS
02-18-2015, 08:31 AM
Don't care, tbh

benefactor
02-18-2015, 08:49 AM
I approve. Go get 'em, Wally World.

boutons_deux
02-18-2015, 09:07 AM
Bible humping Baptists! :lol

Th'Pusher
02-18-2015, 09:27 AM
Free market texas!

As if Walmart clientele isn't bad enough. Imagine if they can pick up a fifth of George Dickel or Southern Comfort in addition to a pack of Winston's and a metal frame above ground swimming pool.

Blake
02-18-2015, 09:35 AM
Huh...So Costco is privately owned?

Blake
02-18-2015, 09:38 AM
Free market texas!

As if Walmart clientele isn't bad enough. Imagine if they can pick up a fifth of George Dickel or Southern Comfort in addition to a pack of Winston's and a metal frame above ground swimming pool.

I'm sure the Sams Choice/Great Value/Equate brand of whiskey will be a big seller.

Spurminator
02-18-2015, 09:39 AM
And yet they still won't sell explicit music.

Blake
02-18-2015, 09:40 AM
And yet they still won't sell explicit music.

They barely sell any music at all any more

boutons_deux
02-18-2015, 09:47 AM
Until a few decades ago, H. E. Butt stores wouldn't sell any alcohol, IIRC. yep:

"until 1976 it was closed on Sundays and did not sell alcohol."

=========

ON-PREMISE LICENSE OR PERMIT (E.G. BAR OR RESTAURANT)

Monday-Friday: 7am-midnight
Saturday: 7am-1am (Sunday morning)
Sunday: Noon to midnight. (10am-noon only in conjunction with the service of food)
If the establishment is in a city or county legal for late hours, and they have a late hours permit, they can sell alcohol for on-premise consumption until 2am any night of the week.

https://www.tabc.state.tx.us/faq/general.asp

Sundee mornin's fer prayin', y'all, not fer drinkin'

TX government/Southern Baptist OVERREACH! :lol

CosmicCowboy
02-20-2015, 12:41 PM
Until a few decades ago, H. E. Butt stores wouldn't sell any alcohol, IIRC. yep:

"until 1976 it was closed on Sundays and did not sell alcohol."

=========

ON-PREMISE LICENSE OR PERMIT (E.G. BAR OR RESTAURANT)

Monday-Friday: 7am-midnight
Saturday: 7am-1am (Sunday morning)
Sunday: Noon to midnight. (10am-noon only in conjunction with the service of food)
If the establishment is in a city or county legal for late hours, and they have a late hours permit, they can sell alcohol for on-premise consumption until 2am any night of the week.

https://www.tabc.state.tx.us/faq/general.asp

Sundee mornin's fer prayin', y'all, not fer drinkin'

TX government/Southern Baptist OVERREACH! :lol

You stupid fuck. HEB was privately owned and could choose open/not open and to sell/not sell if they wanted to.

Your spittle coated posts massively suck as usual.

boutons_deux
02-20-2015, 12:44 PM
You stupid fuck. HEB was privately owned and could choose open/not open and to sell/not sell if they wanted to.

Your spittle coated posts massively suck as usual.

spittle! :lol

CosmicCowboy
02-20-2015, 12:54 PM
Huh...So Costco is privately owned?

Yeah, that's kind of interesting. Costco is publicly traded on NASDAQ and they have liquor stores in Texas.

CosmicCowboy
02-20-2015, 12:57 PM
Costco may get around it in Texas by it being a separate "store" with it's own entrance that is not physically connected to the Costco the sells other merchandise and the liquor store doesn't require a menbership. I know when I went to the Costco in Hawaii the liquor section was inside and part of the bigger store.

Blake
02-20-2015, 02:47 PM
Costco may get around it in Texas by it being a separate "store" with it's own entrance that is not physically connected to the Costco the sells other merchandise and the liquor store doesn't require a menbership. I know when I went to the Costco in Hawaii the liquor section was inside and part of the bigger store.

i wonder why walmart won't do the same

ElNono
02-20-2015, 03:26 PM

That's how it's setup here in New Jersey. You can't buy any alcohol in supermarkets (including wine). But most supermarkets have a small alcohol shop next door (owned by them).

Sportcamper
02-20-2015, 03:35 PM
You stupid F.''' HEB was privately owned and could choose open/not open and to sell/not sell if they wanted to....Your spittle coated posts massively suck as usual...

I see that Cosmic is feeling much better…:lol
Hey Old Man Congratulations on a successful surgery…That was quite an ordeal…:tu

Sportcamper
02-20-2015, 03:39 PM
Our Costco carries spirits In-Store…They even have Kirkland Vodka & Bourbon that comes in Super Sized Bottles…

CosmicCowboy
02-20-2015, 03:39 PM
I see that Cosmic is feeling much better…:lol
Hey Old Man Congratulations on a successful surgery…That was quite an ordeal…:tu

Yeah, I was back at work Monday. Considering that a week ago today my knee was opened up like a head shot watermelon I'm doing OK. Hurts like a motherfucker but it would do that no matter where I was.

CosmicCowboy
02-20-2015, 03:41 PM
Our Costco carries spirits In-Store…They even have Kirkland Vodka & Bourbon that comes in Super Sized Bottles…

LOL, Kirkland brand is normally is high quality stuff but it just wouldn't FEEL RIGHT guzzling Kirkland Bourbon...like it confirmed you had hit deviant rock bottom..:lol

Sportcamper
02-20-2015, 04:30 PM
They have Bourbon, Canadian Whiskey, Vodka, Tequila, Spiced Rum…For me the embarrassment is not the Kirkland brand but the enormous size of the bottles…
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5254/5491191820_ab65163b49.jpg

Blake
02-20-2015, 05:04 PM
That "Texas Gold" brand of rum, tequila, vodka etc that Costco liquor store carries world just fine for mixed drinks. I wonder why the Kirkland brand isn't in there too. Weird