PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Has anyone had a better age 38 - 39 season?

Fabbs
02-18-2015, 08:55 PM
Timmy Duncan coming off two straight Finals appearances.
Anyone other then Kream have a better season?

Kream Jabbar got a huge break in mid season 1987 when the turncoat Spurs owner gifted the Flamers Michael Thompsan for Kwame Brown.

Jordan looked good considering his age with the Bullets.

Wilt left the Flamers at age 36

daslicer
02-18-2015, 08:59 PM
I would say Robert Parish at 38 if you look at his numbers they are pretty close to Duncan's current averages.

Fabbs
02-18-2015, 09:07 PM
I would say Robert Parish at 38 if you look at his numbers they are pretty close to Duncan's current averages.
I have no problems with the Bob Parish comparison.
Solid dude, played on some of the GOAT teams.
Only a Len Bias coke O.D. stopped the 80s Celtics title runs.

Thread
02-18-2015, 09:07 PM
After Amy & 6 he had nowhere to go but up.

daslicer
02-18-2015, 09:10 PM
I have no problems with the Bob Parish comparison.
Solid dude, played on some of the GOAT teams.
Only a Len Bias coke O.D. stopped the 80s Celtics title runs.

Its amazing at how long Parish was able to be effective. If you look at his numbers he didn't stop being effective until he was 41. So there is a chance Duncan could be effective for possibly a few more years if he decides to stay.

Buddy Mignon
02-19-2015, 12:00 AM
Karl Malone shits on Jim again.

Buddy Mignon
02-19-2015, 12:03 AM
At 38 years old Kareem was able to average more points than Jim did in his best season.

unforeseen
02-19-2015, 12:06 AM
TOSB Kirby will not make it to 39 in the NBA. :lol

Malik Hairston
02-19-2015, 12:09 AM
Duncan truly is a marvel, tbh..the best player in 3 different eras for 3 different title teams, it's unheard of..

daslicer
02-19-2015, 12:12 AM
At 38 years old Kareem was able to average more points than Jim did in his best season.

Actually not true at all completely false statement. Kareem averaged 23 points a game at 38 but Duncan's best season was averaging 25 so your wrong about that. Also on top of that defensively Duncan at 38 is superior to what Kareem was at that age. Kareem's rebounding was pretty shitty at only 6 a game. The fact Duncan is still a 2 way player at his age is amazing since both Malone and Jabbar wasn't.

TDfan2007
02-19-2015, 12:25 AM
It's scary to think that Timmy's numbers would look even better had Pop not run him into the ground just to keep us afloat in the standings.

IIRC by the end of December he was averaging 16 ppg 11 rpg 3 apg and 2 bpg in about 32 minutes. He's come back to earth since then due to a combination of him wearing down and the Spurs just not needing that production with Kawhi and Tony back. He's still got it though, since he dropped 20 and 10 against Vucevic a few weeks ago.

On many nights Tim has literally been the only big playing well on the team.

Another question: as far as consistently elite two-way players in the history of the game, who else is up there with Timmy? MJ and Hakeem come to mind immediately.

Buddy Mignon
02-19-2015, 12:35 AM
Actually not true at all completely false statement. Kareem averaged 23 points a game at 38 but Duncan's best season was averaging 25 so your wrong about that. Also on top of that defensively Duncan at 38 is superior to what Kareem was at that age. Kareem's rebounding was pretty shitty at only 6 a game. The fact Duncan is still a 2 way player at his age is amazing since both Malone and Jabbar wasn't.

Know your history before you step to me, son. Jim's best season was in the 02-03 season. The fact that Kareem could put up those numbers during the era where you had real centers in the game says a lot. While Jim has yet to even embrace the role of being a center, Kareem was shitting on the likes of Ewing, Hakeem, Sampson, Moses, Parish... and many other quality bigs that would destroy today's game. Who is Jim playing against? Perkins? Deandre? Howard? Gasol? What a joke.

Buddy Mignon
02-19-2015, 12:36 AM
And the only reason Jim's rebounding numbers look half way decent is because he's playing in a guard dominating league. Not one solid rebounding big man in the West.

JamStone
02-19-2015, 12:49 AM
It's scary to think that Timmy's numbers would look even better had Pop not run him into the ground just to keep us afloat in the standings.

Probably fair, although I don't watch enough Spurs games to know really.

But an argument can be made that Tim might not even be the type of productive player he is now had Pop not started to take care of him as early as a decade ago. Pop started to significantly cut Tim's minutes per game before he even hit the age 30. He started giving Tim multiple rest days during the regular season in his early 30s. Now conventional logic dictates that it was to avoid fatigue and ensure relative health for long playoff runs. But the net result may also have positively impacted Tim's longevity.

For comparison sake, Karl Malone didn't average less than 35 minutes per game until his year-40 season. Tim hasn't averaged 35 minutes a game during the regular season since he was 28 years old. Perhaps the difference between 36 minutes a game and 32 minutes a game isn't much at all. I don't know. But perhaps those minutes really do start to add up especially when you start talking about a two decade career.

Fault Pop if you must. But the way he has looked out for Tim and Manu over the years while looking at the "big picture" has probably done a lot more good in terms of their health, durability, and longevity.

daslicer
02-19-2015, 12:51 AM
And the only reason Jim's rebounding numbers look half way decent is because he's playing in a guard dominating league. Not one solid rebounding big man in the West.

:lol Excuses excuses thats all you got now.

scanry
02-19-2015, 01:12 AM
Know your history before you step to me, son. Jim's best season was in the 02-03 season. The fact that Kareem could put up those numbers during the era where you had real centers in the game says a lot. While Jim has yet to even embrace the role of being a center, Kareem was shitting on the likes of Ewing, Hakeem, Sampson, Moses, Parish... and many other quality bigs that would destroy today's game. Who is Jim playing against? Perkins? Deandre? Howard? Gasol? What a joke.

Tim's best season was in 01-02. He averaged 25.5/12.7/3.7/2.5 blks in the regular season & 27.6/14.4/5.0/4.3 Blks in the playoffs.

scanry
02-19-2015, 01:17 AM

But an argument can be made that Tim might not even be the type of productive player he is now had Pop not started to take care of him as early as a decade ago. Pop started to significantly cut Tim's minutes per game before he even hit the age 30. He started giving Tim multiple rest days during the regular season in his early 30s. Now conventional logic dictates that it was to avoid fatigue and ensure relative health for long playoff runs. But the net result may also have positively impacted Tim's longevity.

For comparison sake, Karl Malone didn't average less than 35 minutes per game until his year-40 season. Tim hasn't averaged 35 minutes a game during the regular season since he was 28 years old. Perhaps the difference between 36 minutes a game and 32 minutes a game isn't much at all. I don't know. But perhaps those minutes really do start to add up especially when you start talking about a two decade career.

Fault Pop if you must. But the way he has looked out for Tim and Manu over the years while looking at the "big picture" has probably done a lot more good in terms of their health, durability, and longevity.

I remember Pop being extra cautious with Tim (in the regular season) after the 03 championship. And Tim just turned 27 during that title run.

FlAVaK
02-19-2015, 02:29 AM
To Find a Career Like Tim Duncan’s, We Have to Go Back to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/to-find-a-career-like-tim-duncans-we-have-to-go-back-to-kareem-abdul-jabbar/)

http://espnfivethirtyeight.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/nba_life.png?w=1024

*from 2014. this seasons WS not included...

TDfan2007
02-19-2015, 03:16 AM

I don't fault Pop at all. He did what he had to do in December. And yes, looking back it was a genius move on Pop's part. From 2000-2004 Timmy had a ridiculous burden, both offensively and defensively. Add that to his meniscus tear in 2000 and I think Pop was looking toward the future in limiting his minutes starting in 2007. It's unfortunate though that Timmy's knee gave out in 09. Robbed him of a few more years of MVP-type basketball. His knee gave out right as Tony and Manu were really hitting their stride as individual talents.

It's also crazy to think that our Big 3 have only been healthy and in their prime for two playoff runs, 2006 and 2007. Every year since it's been either Manu getting injured or Timmy being past his prime.

Infinite_limit
02-19-2015, 03:25 AM
Jordan @ 39

20.0 PPG
6.1 TRB
3.8 APG
45% shooting

^ MVP candidate

Mal
02-19-2015, 03:34 AM
To Find a Career Like Tim Duncan’s, We Have to Go Back to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/to-find-a-career-like-tim-duncans-we-have-to-go-back-to-kareem-abdul-jabbar/)

http://espnfivethirtyeight.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/nba_life.png?w=1024

*from 2014. this seasons WS not included...

Where is Kirby in all that ? 10.0 WS after 33 ?

FlAVaK
02-19-2015, 03:42 AM
^IDK, but found this:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/michael-jordan-kobe-bryant/

https://espnfivethirtyeight.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/paine-datalab-kobevsmj.png?w=610&h=460

ambchang
02-19-2015, 11:53 AM

:lmao

hater
02-19-2015, 12:03 PM
jinx thread

Fabbs
02-19-2015, 12:21 PM
Buddy is ascending up the ladder of lame SpursTalk Laker trolls.