Huh for what?

cap space

Killakobe81
02-19-2015, 12:04 PM
cap space

Straight dump? Ahh I think they were below cap floor

StrengthAndHonor
02-19-2015, 12:04 PM
Taking McGee? I thought Hinkie is a smart, analytical kind of guy? WTH.

Raven
02-19-2015, 12:11 PM
interesting trade.

Chomag
02-19-2015, 12:13 PM
I cant understand why Philly would do this,

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-19-2015, 12:14 PM
Awesome deal for Denver. Guess Philly don't care too much about cap space for next season anyway. Steep price for a pick though.

Killakobe81
02-19-2015, 12:31 PM
Awesome deal for Denver. Guess Philly don't care too much about cap space for next season anyway. Steep price for a pick though.

I think I read Philly would get penalized if salary didn't hit a certain floor and they were below that I could be wrong I hate the CBA

baseline bum
02-19-2015, 12:31 PM
I cant understand why Philly would do this,

To get a draft pick.

Killakobe81
02-19-2015, 12:32 PM
To get a draft pick.

And this

FlAVaK
02-19-2015, 12:33 PM

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-19-2015, 12:34 PM
I think I read Philly would get penalized if salary didn't hit a certain floor and they were below that I could be wrong I hate the CBA

Yes but the penalty isn't that bad - the money to the cap floor would have to be spread between their players.

To get a draft pick.

For $12 mil next season and what's left to pay for this season. That's expensive.

spursparker9
02-19-2015, 12:37 PM

baseline bum
02-19-2015, 12:37 PM
Yes but the penalty isn't that bad - the money to the cap floor would have to be spread between their players.

For $12 mil next season and what's left to pay for this season. That's expensive.

Golden State took Dick's contract for the #29 pick.

StrengthAndHonor
02-19-2015, 12:39 PM
This is beyond stupid. :lol

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-19-2015, 12:40 PM

Yep they paid $10 mil for the 29th pick. Philly is paying $16mil for the 20th (or so).

spurraider21
02-19-2015, 12:46 PM
its not like they're paying JaVale McGee in place of somebody else. they're not going to attract free agents anyway. sound move

Chinook
02-19-2015, 01:14 PM
its not like they're paying JaVale McGee in place of somebody else. they're not going to attract free agents anyway. sound move

Only if McGee actually plays for them. If he's just sitting on the bench, they may as well have stayed under the floor and gave bonuses to the players who have stuck with the team through this season.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-19-2015, 01:16 PM
Only if McGee actually plays for them. If he's just sitting on the bench, they may as well have stayed under the floor and gave bonuses to the players who have stuck with the team through this season.

The only scenario that makes sense IMO is if they plan to play him and eventually flip him for another asset in the summer or at next season's trade deadline.

spurraider21
02-19-2015, 01:17 PM
They want the pick

Chinook
02-19-2015, 01:26 PM
They want the pick

I didn't say that they didn't want the pick. It's not a solid trade for them unless they actually use McGee. They are paying him to sit on the bench instead of giving their players bonuses. The pick is almost pointless because they overpaid for it so much.

If they think McGee can add something on the court next season, then trade is fine. Otherwise, having him on the team is bad for morale. That the Sixers value a mid-round pick so much and their players so little is just another way that Hinkie seems to be disconnected with his players. He better be glad that Brown is so likeable.

spurraider21
02-19-2015, 01:57 PM
I didn't say that they didn't want the pick. It's not a solid trade for them unless they actually use McGee. They are paying him to sit on the bench instead of giving their players bonuses. The pick is almost pointless because they overpaid for it so much.

If they think McGee can add something on the court next season, then trade is fine. Otherwise, having him on the team is bad for morale. That the Sixers value a mid-round pick so much and their players so little is just another way that Hinkie seems to be disconnected with his players. He better be glad that Brown is so likeable.
It's like brewsters millions. They had to spend the money anyway. Either pay some guys bonuses or buy a first round pick (albeit overpriced)

Mel_13
02-19-2015, 01:59 PM
The sixers didn't pay anywhere near 16M for that pick. That may have actually bettered their bottom line by many millions of dollars. It all has to do with the salary cap floor, how it is calculated, and the penalties associated with it.

I'll just use round numbers. The salary cap floor is around 56M. The penalty for ending the season below the floor is equal to the amount the team finishes below the floor. That amount must be paid out to the other players on the roster. Before the McGee trade, the sixers were about 13M below the floor. Without the trade, they would have had to pay that 13M out among the remaining players on the roster at the end of the season. Well, now they add McGee's 11.25M to their team salary, which all counts in calculating how much salary they have committed against the floor. So that 13M they owed the rest of the team is now less than 2M. That's about 11M. Subtract the 4M they owe McGee for the rest of the season, and sixer ownership has bettered their bottom line by about 7M.

So, what about the 12M that McGee is owed for next season? The floor next season will be somewhere between 58-60M. The sixers have less than 20M committed without McGee. Even with McGee, they'll be somewhere around 25M below the floor. Unless you believe that Philly was about to go on some massive free agent spending spree this summer, McGee's contract won't add anything to their projected team payroll next season.

baseline bum
02-19-2015, 01:59 PM
It's like brewsters millions. They had to spend the money anyway. Either pay some guys bonuses or buy a first round pick (albeit overpriced)

:lmao

NASpurs
02-19-2015, 02:04 PM

Chinook
02-19-2015, 02:06 PM
The sixers didn't pay anywhere near 16M for that pick. That may have actually bettered their bottom line by many millions of dollars. It all has to do with the salary cap floor, how it is calculated, and the penalties associated with it.

I'll just use round numbers. The salary cap floor is around 56M. The penalty for ending the season below the floor is equal to the amount the team finishes below the floor. That amount must be paid out to the other players on the roster. Before the McGee trade, the sixers were about 13M below the floor. Without the trade, they would have had to pay that 13M out among the remaining players on the roster at the end of the season. Well, now they add McGee's 11.25M to their team salary, which all counts in calculating how much salary they have committed against the floor. So that 13M they owed the rest of the team is now less than 2M. That's about 11M. Subtract the 4M they owe McGee for the rest of the season, and sixer ownership has bettered their bottom line by about 7M.

So, what about the 12M that McGee is owed for next season? The floor next season will be somewhere between 58-60M. The sixers have less than 20M committed without McGee. Even with McGee, they'll be somewhere around 25M below the floor. Unless you believe that Philly was about to go on some massive free agent spending spree this summer, McGee's contract won't add anything to their projected team payroll next season.

Indeed, I understand the cap manipulations. Though I am not sure exactly how the floor works. I've heard that it's based in actual cash spend and not simply in cap numbers. However, there's no question that this saved Philly at least some money.

The problem is that stuff like this doesn't sit well with players. Philly is hoping that their keepers are going to want to stay for the long haul, and there's only so much chumming up Brown can do if the FO constantly disregards the human aspect of things. The first simply wasn't worth the cost to the players. Eventually, Philly has to be a team players want to be part of, and they had a chance to show that and gave it up for a small asset.

I'm curious to see how KJ McDaniels plays his RFA-Arenas status this off-season. He supposedly wants to stay, so that's not the main issue. I'm just wondering if he's planning on signing a long-term deal there or just take his QO and do it all again in 2016.

Mel_13
02-19-2015, 02:13 PM
Indeed, I understand the cap manipulations. Though I am not sure exactly how the floor works. I've heard that it's based in actual cash spend and not simply in cap numbers. However, there's no question that this saved Philly at least some money.

The problem is that stuff like this doesn't sit well with players. Philly is hoping that their keepers are going to want to stay for the long haul, and there's only so much chumming up Brown can do if the FO constantly disregards the human aspect of things. The first simply wasn't worth the cost to the players. Eventually, Philly has to be a team players want to be part of, and they had a chance to show that and gave it up for a small asset.

I'm curious to see how KJ McDaniels plays his RFA-Arenas status this off-season. He supposedly wants to stay, so that's not the main issue. I'm just wondering if he's planning on signing a long-term deal there or just take his QO and do it all again in 2016.

Treating players like assets, as Morey and Hinkie do, has potential problems to be sure. Philly is still in the asset collection phase of their long term plan and probably views any ill will from the players as an acceptable cost. We'll have to wait a few years to see what they look like once they start to cash in all those assets.

Aztecfan03
02-19-2015, 02:29 PM
Did Gary Neal pop up in anyone elses head?

Raven
02-19-2015, 02:35 PM

awwwwww :lol

Raven
02-19-2015, 02:42 PM

if i'm correct, they paid bonuses last year and were the only team to do so. i could be mistaken though

timtonymanu
02-19-2015, 02:44 PM
Did Gary Neal pop up in anyone elses head?

Same here. :lol

Chinook
02-19-2015, 05:20 PM

I guess we know what Philly's answer is.

spurraider21
02-19-2015, 05:36 PM
The Philadelphia 76ers just made a genius trade to get a 1st-round pick for nothing (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/philadelphia-76ers-just-made-genius-182536200.html)