PDA

View Full Version : Saints Still Coming to San Antonio

King Manu
09-02-2005, 07:10 PM
People around town are upset that the saints will not play on sept 18. The reason the game was moved to New York for that weekend was the fact that city officals in San Antonio and Tom Benson are getting a season package together for the 7 home games. The package might take some time to work on so the NFL decided to move the Saints home game to New York for that weekend only. Expect 7 home games to be played at the Alamodome. NFL will come to San Antonio, so be ready to support your new San Antonio Saints.

dknights411
09-02-2005, 07:29 PM
I know there are a lot of people here hoping to see the NFL in the Alamo City, I know I'm one, but I don't think that it would be fair to have the Saints to play their entire season outside of Louisiana. Honestly, I think we're gonna have the middle 2 or 3 home games, and then the Saints should return to Louisiana, most likely in Baton Rouge, for the remaining schedule.

Perhaps this is too optomistic, but what are the chances the Saints could play their home season finale at the Superdome (Christmas Eve vs. Detroit)? That would be a perfect ending, as well as the perfect Christmas gift for the city of New Orleans.

King Manu
09-02-2005, 07:45 PM
Well the city of New Orleans is too damaged. NFL front office released a statement stating the Saints will not play in New Orleans this season including the playoffs. The city is too damaged. Tom Benson will not risk playing in New Orleans right now. Tom Benson is a business man and he does not want to lose money. Benson for years had his displeasure in new orleans and he wanted to bring the city of san antonio the saints. Benson has been trying to bring the saints to san antonio for the past 5 years.

It's tragic what happened in new orleans however regardless of the storm. Benson was going to bring the saints to san antonio. That is his big dream.

Vashner
09-02-2005, 09:27 PM
Let's just keep the team.. they don't need them anymore anyway :)

TheWriter
09-02-2005, 09:34 PM
People around town are upset that the saints will not play on sept 18. The reason the game was moved to New York for that weekend was the fact that city officals in San Antonio and Tom Benson are getting a season package together for the 7 home games. The package might take some time to work on so the NFL decided to move the Saints home game to New York for that weekend only. Expect 7 home games to be played at the Alamodome. NFL will come to San Antonio, so be ready to support your new San Antonio Saints.

How sure are you of this?

redskinfan
09-03-2005, 12:16 AM
the NFL does not want SA in the league and its a damm shame they dont want to give us a chance like the NBA did, The NBA didnt want us either but we supported the hell out of the SPURS and the rest is history, They (NFL) are afraid we will support the Saints and force the Saints to move here permanently.

King Manu
09-03-2005, 12:18 AM
Various media outlets such as cnnsi, espn, are reporting that the game on sept 18 will be played in new york. Cnnsi reported today that the city of san antonio and tom benson are working on a plan that will keep the saints for 7 games this season.

TheWriter
09-03-2005, 01:07 AM
The NBA didnt want us either but we supported the hell out of the SPURS and the rest is history,

Huh? Do you mean the ABA? The NBA let us into their league when the ABA folded. If they didn't want us in then the Spurs would have never been in the NBA.

scott
09-03-2005, 10:17 AM
I don't know how the NFL justifies giving the Giants 9 home games this year... but that is another topic.

kris
09-03-2005, 12:30 PM
I don't know how the NFL justifies giving the Giants 9 home games this year... but that is another topic.

That's what I was thinking.

If that 7 game package thing is true, I will identify as a Saints' fan from here on out. I already bought a Duece McAllister gold jersey when there was talk they might come to San Antonio.

Being a Saints fan would be really cool. I'll buy the whole season's ticket package, a hat, and I'll finally have a team in the NFL.

I already liked them a little bit, so it's a win-win-win.

ChumpDumper
09-03-2005, 12:50 PM
I don't know how the NFL justifies giving the Giants 9 home games this year.Logistically the easiest thing to do -- and buys a month to figure out a more permanent solution by October 2. Pretty simple.

kris
09-03-2005, 01:07 PM
Logistically the easiest thing to do -- and buys a month to figure out a more permanent solution by October 2. Pretty simple.

Yes, true. Ultimately, it's probably the best move, I just thought they would go somewhere nuetral or possibly in the South for more Saints fans.

JsnSA
09-03-2005, 02:25 PM
I have read (though I have no link right now) that one of the main reasons for moving the game to New York/New Jersey (forget which) is so they can highlight the issue of Hurricane relief under all the media that is available in that area.

Its a huge PR move...but also is kind of smart because it will help keep focus on the area struck by Katrina.
They will have a crap load of media covering the game and I am sure will be solicitating donations during the live game.

Remember...New York is the media capital of the world. It just makes sense to use this game to promote aid for the region.

CrashMag
09-03-2005, 03:24 PM
Well I sure do hope they come to SA. I would love to have
An NFL team in San Antonio, but how many season tickets
Could we sell? I mean that’s what its all about. And would
Jerry Jones let yet another NFL team In Texas? I think he
would try his best to keep that from happing, its bad for business.

King Manu
09-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Well who cares about Jerry Jones. Jones does not own San Antonio. Jones can cry and moan all he wants but Tom Benson owns the Saints and Benson is from San Antonio. Jones can cry to the media all he wants but the fact remains Saints are in san antonio and not to mention players are already enrolling there children in san antonio schools. Some players are even looking at housing right now in san antonio. For years benson has been trying to land the saints, now he has his chance.

N.Y. Johnny
09-03-2005, 10:07 PM

fuck the Mara's and Fuck the Giants

and I am a bitter Jet fan too so fuck you too Giant fan :lol

cherylsteele
09-04-2005, 03:21 PM
Huh? Do you mean the ABA? The NBA let us into their league when the ABA folded. If they didn't want us in then the Spurs would have never been in the NBA.

When the ABA/NBA merger took place in '76 support DID make a difference. I was not here in SA at the time but I have read that we had to sell a certain number of season tickets to "prove" we belonged, we did and here the Spurs are...champs and all, along with being possibly the most respected franchise in all of pro sports.

TOP-CHERRY
09-04-2005, 03:48 PM
I hope this isn't false hope. I'd rather just wait until they make the home game locations official. It would be awesome to at least get to see an NFL game in San Antonio.

And I wouldn't mind switching from the Cowboys to the Saints. :D
(I am such a traitor)

Kori Ellis
09-04-2005, 07:29 PM
SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- The New Orleans Saints said Sunday they are considering three options where to play their home games this season: LSU's Tiger Stadium, the Alamodome in San Antonio or at the stadiums of all their opponents.

Speaking at a news conference in San Antonio, where the team has moved its day-to-day operations after the Superdome and most of New Orleans was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina, general manager Mickey Loomis and coach Jim Haslett made it clear that going to Baton Rouge, La., is their first choice. They said that being a permanent road team was the last option.

``We want to play in the Superdome, but obviously that's not possible,'' Loomis said. ``We would like to play our games in Baton Rouge. Obviously, the league has a lot of say. They'll be involved in the decision. We're trying to explore every possibility.''

The Saints open Sunday at Carolina. Their second game, which was supposed to be their home opener, already has been moved to Giants Stadium, home of their foe, the New York Giants, but the date has not been announced.

They play at Minnesota the next week, so the first game still in flux is Oct. 2 against Buffalo.

Haslett said NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue ``put us behind the eight ball'' with the decision to play at the Meadowlands in Week 2.

He called LSU the first option because, ``I would like our fans to have the opportunity to see us play.''

Club officials and players are living in a hotel across the interstate from the Alamodome and will be practicing at high school fields in the area.

redskinfan
09-04-2005, 08:57 PM
can baton rouge accomodate the nfl ie: hotels,people etc.?

samikeyp
09-05-2005, 09:09 AM
can baton rouge accomodate the nfl ie: hotels,people etc.?

They handle major college football in a stadium that houses more than the Superdome. The problem with LSU is that the stadium in being used for the relief efforts.

King Manu
09-05-2005, 11:18 PM
San Antonio is the best place for the Saints. San Antonio has a stronger economy than the state of L.A. Baton Rogue is a very small town. Baton is the size of Corpus Christie. No way Tom Benson moves HIS team to Baton Rouge. Tom Benson is from San Antonio and has all of his investments in San Antonio. Benson knows the NFL market is ready for San Antonio. San Antonio has more fortune 500 companies than New Orleans. San Antonio has a larger tv market than New Orleans. San Antonio as no state income tax. The saints players would love that. San Antonio has 1.8 million in the metro area. New Orleans doesn't even have 1 million in there metro area.

Which means San Antonio overall can support the Saints. Will some san antonio citizens support the saints or be traitors in supporting the cowboys. That's the main question. The Saints move here, I am going for the home team.

CrashMag
09-06-2005, 11:47 PM
Tom Benson said that he would like to play in Baton Rogue...
And the NFL said they "Fear low ticket sells in the alamo dome"...
I think thats crap.. the question is do yall think that the city
will promo the games.....and how many people would buy tickets
to the game.....

dmac
09-07-2005, 09:15 AM
Well the city of New Orleans is too damaged. NFL front office released a statement stating the Saints will not play in New Orleans this season including the playoffs. The city is too damaged. Tom Benson will not risk playing in New Orleans right now. Tom Benson is a business man and he does not want to lose money. Benson for years had his displeasure in new orleans and he wanted to bring the city of san antonio the saints. Benson has been trying to bring the saints to san antonio for the past 5 years.

It's tragic what happened in new orleans however regardless of the storm. Benson was going to bring the saints to san antonio. That is his big dream.
I don't think the Saints need to worry about the playoffs.

SWC Bonfire
09-07-2005, 09:38 AM
I'm going to ask a question that no one else has asked when polling about support for the team in SA:

How much do tickets cost, say like in the upper deck?

SWC Bonfire
09-07-2005, 09:55 AM
Here are the Texans prices. I would assume the prices for the Saints Game would be similar (or a little more, fewer seats to go around).

http://www.houstontexans.com/wpimages/uploaded/pdfs/PriceGuide_r3.pdf