PDA

View Full Version : Be honest, is this team finished?

Spurs21Fan4Ever
02-20-2015, 01:52 AM
Are the Spurs finally finished? If they are, it isn't because of father time, but I think they may be due to a weak mentality. I can't help but feel like a lot of these players thought they'd coast to another championship with how easy it was last year, but they're finding out the hard way that defending a championship is 10 times harder than winning your first. There seems to be some type of drama and they just don't have it figured out upstairs, outside of Tim Duncan. It's a shame to see Duncan fight so hard and play so well, yet nobody on his team have his back. He should've retired last year. This team just does not have the mentality and competitive nature to compete it feels like, and Pop is going panic mode by trying to chance too much, which includes starting Baynes over Splitter which I do not like. This will be the first time I've ever said this (except for 2010 when Ginobili was injured), but the San Antonio Spurs are finished it seems like.

TheGoldStandard
02-20-2015, 01:53 AM
Team is done because Tim Duncan is your best player on the team and the only other consistent player on the team is sitting on the bench and not getting minutes because Pop would rather run Patty Mills out there.

davidbowie
02-20-2015, 01:53 AM
yup we should tank and try to move up in the draft

Darius Bieber
02-20-2015, 01:54 AM
Yes. The 50+ point loss tomorrow will show you.

RD2191
02-20-2015, 01:55 AM
Spurs are done, ball movement is gone, defense is shit, Kawhi can't make a shot to save his life. Zero confidence outside of Tim. Bench looks dead. Patty can't shoot. Diaw is fat. Marco is shit. I don't even know how the fuck this can be the same team that won it all last year.

timtonymanu
02-20-2015, 01:56 AM
Not finished, but still not where they need to be.

The continued suckage of Diaw/Splitter is so concerning and is really making things tougher for us.

Had Leonard shot his usual average, this would have been a win.

Aremid
02-20-2015, 01:57 AM
Spurs are done, ball movement is gone, defense is shit, Kawhi can't make a shot to save his life. Zero confidence outside of Tim. Bench looks dead. Patty can't shoot. Diaw is fat. Marco is shit. I don't even know how the fuck this can be the same team that won it all last year.

last year was a fluke championship like the 2011 mavs. Real dynasties like the lakers or bulls wouldn't take it up the ass so easy

Sean Cagney
02-20-2015, 01:58 AM
Not finished, but still not where they need to be.

The continued suckage of Diaw/Splitter is so concerning and is really making things tougher for us.

Had Leonard shot his usual average, this would have been a win.
Yes but we keep saying the same thing every single week in here after a game like this. This is no joke by now,they seriously look done but I hope not. They are a playoff team still but what seed and for how deep of a run? This will be tough.
last year was a fluke championship like the 2011 mavs. Real dynasties like the lakers or bulls wouldn't take it up the ass so easy

You don't win a damn record amount of games by 15+ points being a fluke team man, dead that shit. I agree on the last part but back to back finals and a WCF appearance the year before those is not a FLUKE team, that is a run there. Your post is a joke, sorry.

ElNono
Going down with the ship: Coasting.

I just think they're more or less lazy. They don't have the fire other teams have. Is like instead of taking the challenge of having a target on their back, they use it as an excuse.

It takes a lot of work to play the right way, and I don't think everyone on the team feels like putting forth the effort.

Hopefully it won't come down to fighting for a playoff spot to light the fire.

DMC
Yeah no need watching any longer tbh

itzsoweezee
The biggest difference between this year and last year is the bench. I don't know what happened to Boris, Patty, Marco, and Manu, but their lack of good play puts that much more pressure on the starters to produce.

ironman2886
02-20-2015, 01:59 AM
Bump thread material. 3 straight WCFs and 2 back to back Finals...I'm not counting out this team til they get beat in the playoffs. Regular season is practice.

DMC
02-20-2015, 01:59 AM

Yeah, Lakers got ass raped by the Mavs in 2011.

Aremid
02-20-2015, 02:00 AM

I just think they're more or less lazy. They don't have the fire other teams have. Is like instead of taking the challenge of having a target on their back, they use it as an excuse.

It takes a lot of work to play the right way, and I don't think everyone on the team feels like putting forth the effort.

Blame pop and TD. Still don't know what it takes to motivate a team to repeat. They need to give Kobe or Phil a call

tim_duncan_fan
Is it CoJo time?

It feels like CoJo time.

spurtech09

It takes a lot of work to play the right way, and I don't think everyone on the team feels like putting forth the effort.+1

Sean Cagney
02-20-2015, 02:01 AM
Bump thread material. 3 straight WCFs and 2 back to back Finals...I'm not counting out this team til they get beat in the playoffs. Regular season is practice.

Yeah but that idiot above said their run last year was a fluke :lol One of the worst posts I have seen in here regardless how they are doing so far this year man........ I can't believe that dude called last years title with a record 15 Plus point wins in the playoffs a fluke :lol. Some fans say the dumbest shit at times.
Blame pop and TD. Still don't know what it takes to motivate a team to repeat. They need to give Kobe or Phil a call
Yeah because Tim has not been good this year nor tonight as well......... It's all his fault. Kobe is out for the year two years in a row and his team sucks with his mammoth contract and Phil is in NY with a GOD AWFUL team, call them for what? They went to back to back finals and Tim did enough to win the first of those and then some and is an all star this year and killed it tonight, yet you blame our most consistent guy.

Aremid
02-20-2015, 02:02 AM

After making 3 straight trips to the finals and successfully defending their title, which the spurs never have

timtonymanu

Yep. It would be slap in the face to let Duncan come back another season just so Diaw and Splitter can just mail it in. I think the fight is there, but it's just every team wants to badly beat them. Scrubs have always gone off on the Spurs, but it seems much more the case this season obviously. I'll give the Spurs the benefit of the doubt, it's just annoying that they keep throwing away winnable games.

ElNono

I think the team will be ready when it matters. At least TD won't be faking an injury and quitting on his team, tbh...

spurtech09
02-20-2015, 02:03 AM
the way the spurs have been playing....idk if spurs will ever get back to playing spurs basketball.....if they keep playing like this im pretty sure the spurs won't make it past the 1st round....that's if they make the playoffs

HI-FI
Tonight they looked bad, but I'll never say it's over til it's over.

Been a weird season, Parker getting that contract and being shitty for most of the season cast a dark cloud over everything. Plus lots of guys either banged up, tired or just fat hasn't helped.

Honestly I can't tell. If they come out of the RRT looking like dog shit, then we'll have a better idea.
They very well could be coasting, so if they can slowly start ramping things up, I'll feel better.

marinoman
No, people here are just super negative. But we have to play better, Parker is starting to, we have the pieces to play better D and shoot better from beyond the arc

And mj.gif at last year being a fluke

InRareForm
02-20-2015, 02:04 AM
spoiled fans we are

Johnny RIngo
02-20-2015, 02:05 AM
Yep. It would be slap in the face to let Duncan come back another season just so Diaw and Splitter can just mail it in. I think the fight is there, but it's just every team wants to badly beat them. Scrubs have always gone off on the Spurs, but it seems much more the case this season obviously. I'll give the Spurs the benefit of the doubt, it's just annoying that they keep throwing away winnable games.

Biggest slap in the face is the front office/owner getting cheap all of a sudden and deciding not to bring in extra help with the MLE. Duncan took a paycut for this shit? Giving a declining Tony that three year extension in the off-season also ranks up there with the other FO blunders.

Sean Cagney
02-20-2015, 02:05 AM
After making 3 straight trips to the finals and successfully defending their title, which the spurs never have

Spurs just made two finals in a row and the WCF the year before that, that is really bad I tell you! HORRIBLE! They should have been back to back as well tbh, but we will not even go there now but it surely was not TIM DUNCANS fault as you seem to claim.
spoiled fans we are

That is pretty much true.

Malik Hairston
02-20-2015, 02:07 AM
Maybe, maybe not..it's the same players as last year, but it's going to end at some point, especially considering they're coming off 2 straight Finals runs..

It's just guessing at this point, though..these players didn't forget how to play basketball in just 8 or 9 months, it's just a matter of whether guys like Diaw and Splitter are going to turn it on when it matters, which is anybody's guess..

I imagine the shooting is going to normalize at some point, though, something that has been killing this team as of late..

BatManu20
02-20-2015, 02:07 AM
The biggest difference between this year and last year is the bench. I don't know what happened to Boris, Patty, Marco, and Manu, but their lack of good play puts that much more pressure on the starters to produce.

Patty and Boris especially. Boris 2.0 was awesome while it lasted, but it's long gone. And I'm giving Patty a pass right now simply because he missed so much time. Hopefully he can turn it around come playoffs, but he's struggling right now.

spurtech09
02-20-2015, 02:08 AM
spoiled fans we areyour right

Aremid
02-20-2015, 02:08 AM
Biggest slap in the face is the front office/owner getting cheap all of a sudden and deciding not to bring in extra help with the MLE. Duncan took a paycut for this shit? Giving a declining Tony that three year extension in the off-season also ranks up there with the other FO blunders.

Amen. No wonder free agents don't want to come here! Our FO makes it clear that saving money is THE priority

DMC
02-20-2015, 02:09 AM

A: You're a shitty troll, real cocksucker
B: NBA teams don't defend titles. That's a boxing thing. Else the Spurs would only have to play the Finals against whichever team made it through, not start at zero again like everyone else.
C: You're a faggot.

ElNono
02-20-2015, 02:10 AM
Reminds me of the negative talk before the past two seasons... in reality most of this board agreed with the OP question in 2012, tbh... Tim too old, Manu too old, no defense...

Now, that doesn't mean this team will flip a switch, but I think they know the struggle they're in, and there's still time to right the ship.

Aremid
02-20-2015, 02:11 AM
B: NBA teams don't defend titles. That's a boxing thing. Else the Spurs would only have to play the Finals against whichever team made it through, not start at zero again like everyone else.

Haha resorting to semantics I see. Sorry, the spurs have never won back to back like other dynasties

ElNono
Amen. No wonder free agents don't want to come here! Our FO makes it clear that saving money is THE priority

It's called having a bartender for a scout. lmao lakerfan

RD2191
Reminds me of the negative talk before the past two seasons... in reality most of this board agreed with the OP question in 2012, tbh... Tim too old, Manu too old, no defense...

Now, that doesn't mean this team will flip a switch, but I think they know the struggle they're in, and there's still time to right the ship.
They actually showed life those seasons though. This season has been pure dog shit. I don't remember a time when the entire team looked so bad.(Besides Tim)

DMC
02-20-2015, 02:12 AM
Haha resorting to semantics I see. Sorry, the spurs have never won back to back like other dynasties

lol "dynasty" "defend title"... all this fan points talk that has nothing to do with basketball.

Ditty
02-20-2015, 02:12 AM
Deep down inside I think they will be fine.

I don't really see a team in the NBA beating a motivated Spurs team which I think they will be once the playoffs come around in seven games.

Parker looked great tonight, but Kawhi was shit.

We need some of our guys to somehow snap out of there funk.

ElNono
02-20-2015, 02:13 AM
They actually showed life those seasons though. This season has been pure dog shit. I don't remember a time when the entire team looked so bad.(Besides Tim)

Nah, we were just running a Don Nelson offense which was great for the regular season... fool's gold all around.

G-Dawgg
02-20-2015, 02:17 AM
What the Spurs have always had going for them is their chemistry and team play. They are lacking that to an extent this year. Unless the spurs finish the season on a 15 game win streak going into the playoffs I think their championship hopes are extremely doubtful.. I haven't seen them play this inconsistently in many many years...

Va Spur
02-20-2015, 02:17 AM
Kawhi was 1-11 and Pop sat him in the 4th-- that's why we lost. He more than negatively made up for Blake missing. It's a loss.

We are going to be 5-7 seed and then see what happens. This board rips TP and then he plays well. It rips Kawhi and he will play well tomorrow night. yes TD is the only consistent thing of 2014-15 but too early to give up.

We are not playing well as a team--they can't all put it together. But it's still Feb-- not April. We have a shot just like 8 other teams in West

Va Spur
02-20-2015, 02:18 AM
I don't blame Pop for sitting Kawhi --- he was looking for a 5 to give him a shot to win-- he got that-- Crawford made a big shot

HI-FI
02-20-2015, 02:18 AM
another thing is I think the officiating has been shit for most of the season. It's not the reason the team has been in a funk, it would just be nice for the defending champs to get some of that OKC support.

TheGreatYacht
02-20-2015, 02:20 AM
Should've traded for Snell when they had the chance

spurtech09
02-20-2015, 02:25 AM
another thing is I think the officiating has been shit for most of the season. It's not the reason the team has been in a funk, it would just be nice for the defending champs to get some of that OKC support.I agree every game the refs have been screwing the spurs

midnightpulp
02-20-2015, 02:26 AM
Hopefully this game was just all-star break rust and they didn't have the energy to bring it on defense. And then you had Pop sitting our two best perimeter defenders for long stretches. At the least the offense looked good, despite Kawhi going for 1-11.

I don't expect to win tomorrow, but hopefully they'll show us something that can renew our optimism.

FkLA
02-20-2015, 03:31 AM
I called a title the last three years, part of it bc I was being a homer, but also bc the Spurs looked the part. Should've won it in '13 and looked like a juggernaut in '12 until Game 3 vs OKC. Honestly they don't look the part this year even when healthy. Fortunately it's still early tbh.

Capt Bringdown
02-20-2015, 08:12 AM
Zero confidence outside of Tim. Bench looks dead. Patty can't shoot.

This is true. I don't think the Spurs have been the same since the string of injuries and early-season overtime losses. This and Manu's late-game chokery is only getting worse.

Killakobe81
02-20-2015, 08:42 AM

true but that wasnt a dynasty either. Lakers of 2008-2011 were very good. Not a dynasty. Same with Spurs of 2013-2015. Both would have two titles in 3 years if not for "6". Not counting out spurs this one but 4 straight finals is tough ...

DMC
02-20-2015, 09:00 AM
true but that wasnt a dynasty either. Lakers of 2008-2011 were very good. Not a dynasty. Same with Spurs of 2013-2015. Both would have two titles in 3 years if not for "6". Not counting out spurs this one but 4 straight finals is tough ...

The fuck... you just made 3 straight FInals...

You cannot have your cake and eat it too. If b2b makes you better, then you were better. So you were better but you got swept the following year. No way around it.

Chomag
02-20-2015, 09:01 AM
I'm just disappointed in the lack of care out there. These guys have no pride, at least they don't play like they do.

There is still a very slim chance they can wake up but as it is they just don't have it as a whole to be a championship team and the other teams are smelling blood.

SupremeGuy
02-20-2015, 09:05 AM
Like Tim Duncan will go quietly into the night. :nope

MateoNeygro
02-20-2015, 09:18 AM
They aren't finished until they lose a fourth game in the playoffs. I'll never count this team out. They are frustrating the shit out of me right now because usually things they are doing wrong can be fixed but I don't know what they can do to fix the offense. The offense looks broken and labored. It just isn't where it needs to be.

weebo
02-20-2015, 09:41 AM
Some of it is physical and some of it is mental. All those recent deep playoff runs are bound to have some effect. I think we've seen some of it this year with the injuries, but we've also seen with their lack of focus. I don't think its the energy because they're playing hard and competing but there's something that keeps them from closing out games.

jbspurs
02-20-2015, 09:49 AM
Don't underestimate the heart of the Champion!

DesignatedT
02-20-2015, 09:51 AM
Not sure what some of you expect. Define finished? Finished winning titles? Considering how hard it is to win 1 and to go b2b, most likely, yes. Spurs fans should know how hard it is to get a championship considering we only have 1 in the last 8 years. Do some of you forget this fact?

Finished being a good team who at least has a shot if all things fall into place? I don't think so.

DesignatedT
02-20-2015, 09:52 AM
I'm just disappointed in the lack of care out there. These guys have no pride, at least they don't play like they do.

There is still a very slim chance they can wake up but as it is they just don't have it as a whole to be a championship team and the other teams are smelling blood.

:lol this team has no pride? just stop watching please. Some of you are ridiculous.

DesignatedT
02-20-2015, 09:54 AM

:lmao

ceperez
02-20-2015, 10:00 AM
The problem really boils down to Boris Diaw. He's one of the smartest players out there, but like smart people, they get bored too easily.

I have confidence that he'll step it up a notch come playoff time. Meanwhile, I hope Parker gets back to his original form.

Speaking about Leonard, I think the team will have problems if he forces the situation.

Now... I can't believe we re-signed that d-leaguer... I completely forgot his name.

in2deep
02-20-2015, 10:18 AM
I think they are mentally exhausted. The last 2 years have been a whirlwind. They are drained. Even Pop is drained. He surrounded himself with Becky, Messina and that African fellow.

the good news is they seem to be healthy. It will all depend how they finish the season.

Dex
02-20-2015, 10:28 AM
I'll start caring in April tbh.

benefactor
02-20-2015, 10:34 AM
Doesn't matter.....

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v1/2039789902/Basketball-5PCS-1999-2003-2005-2007-2014-font-b-San-b-font-font-b-Antonio-b.jpg

in2deep
02-20-2015, 10:39 AM
^ pretty much

Spurs went ALL IN in 2014. They succeeded. Not sure we can expect a repeat of that once again.

Enjoy the last few months of Spurs as Champs :tu and hope for the best

Russ
02-20-2015, 10:48 AM
Just switched from Explorer to Google Chrome.

Trying to "bookmark" this.

SilverSpur
02-20-2015, 11:12 AM
Not finished, the West is very competitive. The best teams and players are in the west. Our division is the best in the league.
We're are 4th in the SW, but if we were in any other division we would be
2nd in the Atlantic
1st in the Central
2nd in the North West
2nd in the Pacific
2nd in the South East
and 5 games out of 1st in our division

If we stop turning the ball over we would have five more wins easy.
The last two losses to Memphis and Detroit were last second turnovers and this loss to the Clippers is another example of turnovers..
Also the slow start to the year was due to Patty Mills, Kawahi ,Splitter and Parker missing time.
With everyone healthy and reduced turnovers we should be fine.

Aremid
02-20-2015, 11:37 AM
^ pretty much

Spurs went ALL IN in 2014. They succeeded. Not sure we can expect a repeat of that once again.

Enjoy the last few months of Spurs as Champs :tu and hope for the best

Tying MJ and his bulls + edging Kobe in ring count.

with how good td and kawhi are NO ONE should be satisfied

xellos88330
02-20-2015, 11:46 AM
I don't think that this team is done, however, there is one thing that really worries me. The Spurs look confused offensively during long stretches. I actually think this is because opposing defenses are bumping the cutters and players coming off of screens. This slows the ball and forces the Spurs to do something late in the shot clock. I also notice a lot of Spurs players getting in each others way on the offensive end.

benefactor
02-20-2015, 12:43 PM

Trying to "bookmark" this.

The star in the upper right hand corner.

Maddog
02-20-2015, 01:18 PM
I don't think that this team is done, however, there is one thing that really worries me. The Spurs look confused offensively during long stretches. I actually think this is because opposing defenses are bumping the cutters and players coming off of screens. This slows the ball and forces the Spurs to do something late in the shot clock. I also notice a lot of Spurs players getting in each others way on the offensive end.

I've noticed that- I think you can put that down to injuries and having lost a bit of edge after 3 straight deep runs into the playoffs. I've been concerned for a while now- and unless they start stringing some victories together I think we are looking at a short run in the playoffs.

quentin_compson
02-20-2015, 01:35 PM
The Spurs have been pretty difficult to assess this season. Injuries, people not playing well, etc. Most of the time, the team has seemed neither great nor terrible to me, rather something in between. If they are reasonably healthy come playoff time (provided they make the playoffs, but I'm pretty sure they will), they could make some noise there. But maybe some of the players just won't have it this season, at least not the way they had it last year.
Anyway, "finished" is not a term that reasonably should or could be discussed just now.

spurs10
02-20-2015, 01:46 PM

Trying to "bookmark" this. Did the same. My Explorer just imploded. First I couldn't post any emoticons and eventually simply typing a word while on ST became impossible. Benefactor is right about the 'star' however I have to start from scratch daily with my bookmarks. Don't have a favorites bar that stays up.

Chomag
02-21-2015, 11:27 AM
:lol this team has no pride? just stop watching please. Some of you are ridiculous.

So Spurs are playing like they do? Ok... if you actually read what i posted yes i said they have no pride, which i corrected myself in saying that they are not playing like it at least , as im sure most of them do but what i first said was emotional context.

Also im still going to watch even if you say I cant sir.

Raven
02-21-2015, 11:38 AM
if they don't dump belinelli out of the rotation and put cory in, then yes.

Skull-1
02-21-2015, 11:46 AM

That about covers it.

weebo
02-21-2015, 11:47 AM
if they don't dump belinelli out of the rotation and put cory in, then yes.

It's not just Belinelli. I would argue that the entire team looks discombobulated for long stretches. Aside from maybe TD, I haven't seen good play consistently from anyone.

Raven
02-21-2015, 11:56 AM
It's not just Belinelli. I would argue that the entire team looks discombobulated for long stretches. Aside from maybe TD, I haven't seen good play consistently from anyone.

that's because there is no concistency in the defensive momentum. Out of nowhere when everything seems in place, he drops a freebie or loses the ball in a dumb manner creating an easy fastbreak. On defense, whenever there is a good stretch and the team seems to have found the keys to locking down the opponent, pop puts him in and he leaves a shitty 3point shooter wide open, like Iggy yesterday. He is the sole reason why the concept of "spurs killer" exists, he is the reason some shitty scrub player always goes off against us. When he checks off, it's already too late, since the player is already hot.

Budkin
02-21-2015, 12:04 PM

weebo
02-21-2015, 12:10 PM
that's because there is no concistency in the defensive momentum. Out of nowhere when everything seems in place, he drops a freebie or loses the ball in a dumb manner creating an easy fastbreak. On defense, whenever there is a good stretch and the team seems to have found the keys to locking down the opponent, pop puts him in and he leaves a shitty 3point shooter wide open, like Iggy yesterday. He is the sole reason why the concept of "spurs killer" exists, he is the reason some shitty scrub player always goes off against us. When he checks off, it's already too late, since the player is already hot.

Let's not kid ourselves here. Marco is not in the line up for his defense. He is in there to help the offense with his movement, passing, and spot up shooting. Also, the biggest problem I see with our defense is our inability to stop the fast break, guard the PnR, and defend the pg position. Hardly all Marco's fault. Also, this concept of a "spur killer" (aka a scrub that goes off on the Spurs) has been something this team has seen way before Marco was on the team.

wijayas
02-22-2015, 12:07 AM
Unfortunately, this is it for the Spurs. I'm not giving up hope but what I see tells me otherwise.

Skull-1
02-22-2015, 12:05 PM
Unfortunately, this is it for the Spurs. I'm not giving up hope but what I see tells me otherwise.

Well ill at least we had last year. About as dominant a performance as I have ever seen in any sport.

Spurs 4 The Win
02-22-2015, 12:15 PM
Well ill at least we had last year. About as dominant a performance as I have ever seen in any sport.

Honestly, did we really expect the Spurs to be able to duplicate the most dominant run to a championship ever, we were shooting 60% for like every game and everyone was on fire, winning most games by more than 15 points, something that is almost impossible.

Skull-1
02-22-2015, 12:17 PM
Honestly, did we really expect the Spurs to be able to duplicate the most dominant run to a championship ever, we were shooting 60% for like every game and everyone was on fire, winning most games by more than 15 points, something that is almost impossible.

Exactly.

Aremid
02-22-2015, 12:25 PM
Exactly.

Hence, it was a FLUKE. Prove me wrong. Repeat and do it again this year.

Spurs 4 The Win
02-22-2015, 12:33 PM

That wasnt a fluke, that was a team that saw their championship hopes (the revenge, everything that they had worked for, a chance at redemption) on the line in a game 7 vs Dallas and responded like no other team before them with their backs against the wall, they took their game to a level that no team has been to before and a level they probably didnt even know they could reach. To expect a sustained performance at a level previously unseen is ludicrous. We should feel spoiled we were able to be a part of a magical run like that.

Aremid
02-22-2015, 02:26 PM
That wasnt a fluke, that was a team that saw their championship hopes (the revenge, everything that they had worked for, a chance at redemption) on the line in a game 7 vs Dallas and responded like no other team before them with their backs against the wall, they took their game to a level that no team has been to before and a level they probably didnt even know they could reach. To expect a sustained performance at a level previously unseen is ludicrous. We should feel spoiled we were able to be a part of a magical run like that.

People conveniently leave out so many details that made our run so easy last year.

I'll be the first to admit that game 7 against dallas and games 3-5 against Miami were impressive.

That being said, we LUCKED OUT in that we didn't have to face Houston before OKC. Portland didn't stand a chance in the 2nd round against any team, but Houston would have given us matchup nightmares like they always do.

Even then, I'm sure we would have advanced against the rockets, but we would have gone to 6 or 7 before facing OKC, who had our # that year.

Oh, and speaking of OKC, we LUCKED OUT Ibaka was out for 2 games. We stole 1 game on their home floor and everyone wants to act like we dominated them for the entire series. We were humiliated in games 3 and 4, and we stole game 6. Please.

I know that luck and injuries are part of the game, but the 2014 spurs aren't exactly the 2001 lakers or 1996 bulls nearly sweeping every team route to a title.

Whether the homer fans want to agree on here or not, the 2014 spurs are basically the 2011 mavs. They caught fire at the right time but weren't exactly steamrolling everyone. It was a fluke. Sure we all love the "redemption" storyline, but let's not get that confused with what really happened.

Spurs 4 The Win
02-22-2015, 02:39 PM
People conveniently leave out so many details that made our run so easy last year.

I'll be the first to admit that game 7 against dallas and games 3-5 against Miami were impressive.

That being said, we LUCKED OUT in that we didn't have to face Houston before OKC. Portland didn't stand a chance in the 2nd round against any team, but Houston would have given us matchup nightmares like they always do.

Even then, I'm sure we would have advanced against the rockets, but we would have gone to 6 or 7 before facing OKC, who had our # that year.

Oh, and speaking of OKC, we LUCKED OUT Ibaka was out for 2 games. We stole 1 game on their home floor and everyone wants to act like we dominated them for the entire series. We were humiliated in games 3 and 4, and we stole game 6. Please.

I know that luck and injuries are part of the game, but the 2014 spurs aren't exactly the 2001 lakers or 1996 bulls nearly sweeping every team route to a title.

Whether the homer fans want to agree on here or not, the 2014 spurs are basically the 2011 mavs. They caught fire at the right time but weren't exactly steamrolling everyone. It was a fluke. Sure we all love the "redemption" storyline, but let's not get that confused with what really happened.

As for the rockets, if you think we wouldnt have taken them down in 5, then LOL. They had Coward and Harden in playoff choker form.

But the real funny part is you thinking Ibaka wouldve changed the series. Ibaka was there in game 5 when we steamrolled them at home, and he was 2-2 in his 4 games with 3 of those coming at home. Had he been healthy the whole series, the best they couldve hoped for wouldve been a game 7. We were beating OKC no matter what tbh. They had all the momentum and we smacked them down in game 5, they play better at home, and they didnt have homecourt, they were fucked.

There is no such thing as lucking into a matchup, you play who you play with who they have. Thats the NBA, thats life.

Fireball
02-22-2015, 02:55 PM
Pop always says that many things have to come together to win a championship. We are so spoiled that we have such a successful team over this long of a timespan. This years team lacks motivation, so yes, for this season they are finished.

Aremid
02-22-2015, 04:14 PM
As for the rockets, if you think we wouldnt have taken them down in 5, then LOL. They had Coward and Harden in playoff choker form.

But the real funny part is you thinking Ibaka wouldve changed the series. Ibaka was there in game 5 when we steamrolled them at home, and he was 2-2 in his 4 games with 3 of those coming at home. Had he been healthy the whole series, the best they couldve hoped for wouldve been a game 7. We were beating OKC no matter what tbh. They had all the momentum and we smacked them down in game 5, they play better at home, and they didnt have homecourt, they were fucked.

There is no such thing as lucking into a matchup, you play who you play with who they have. Thats the NBA, thats life.

Ibaka's absence spotted us 2 games.

Skull-1
02-22-2015, 04:17 PM

Not entirely a fluke. A vendetta with God on OUR side for once.

SupremeGuy
02-22-2015, 04:19 PM
I don't know if they're finished, but they're certainly playing like it. We won't turn the corner until Pop benches TP for a few weeks. Call it rest or whatever, but he's really shitting the bed.

Johnny RIngo
02-22-2015, 04:21 PM

'01 Lakers or '96 Bulls never had a player as awful as Tony Parker. Spurs run is even more impressive considering we were able to dominate the playoffs with a cancerous player getting so much playing time.

daslicer
02-22-2015, 04:30 PM
Ibaka's absence spotted us 2 games.

No not really it would have been tied 2-2 after 4 games regardless of if Ibaka played or not. They had their chance to win the series but choked massively in game 5 getting blown out and choked again in a close game 6. OKC wasn't mentally strong enough to be a champion and one could argue if it wasn't for ZBO's suspension they lose in round 1 or if CP3 doesn't throw away game 5 they lose to the clippers.

Arcadian
02-22-2015, 04:46 PM
Nah. I expect shit to turn around at some point. Patience, children.

Ice009
02-22-2015, 04:49 PM

lol, you don't fluke DOMINATION, dipshit. That was one of the most dominant runs ever.

Ice009
02-22-2015, 05:07 PM
The main problem with this team is that Tim is 38 and he's still been by far the best and most consistent player on the team this season. Every other fucking player on this roster needs to get their heads out of their asses and step up and be more consistent. It really pisses me off that at this age Tim still has to be the best player and still carry the team. Other players need to step up and start playing hard, aggressive and consistent every game. You can't expect a 38 year old to keep carrying your fucking asses every game.

Tiago Splitter - soft and pathetic most of the season. Defense has taken a nosedive.
Boris Diaw - fat and out of shape, extremely inconsistent, not aggressive enough on a consistent basis
Danny Green - inconsistent
Manu - inconsistent, too many silly turnovers throughout games, not attacking the rim enough
Tony Parker - Pathetic. Not much more I can say. Not sure if it's injury or what is the cause. Isn't playing with any heart whatsoever. Defense nonexistent.
Marco - joke on defense, mediocre on offense
Patty Mills - Outside of making a few shots when he first returned, he has been poor otherwise. Joseph should have his spot in the rotation at this point.
Kawhi - inconsistent. Doesn't have the handles to get to the rim, which is what the Spurs need more than jump shots and the breaking of the offense.

When all these guys get their heads out of their asses, the Spurs will start playing better. As it stands right now, Tim's been the best player and the only one that has been consistent for most of the season. The rest of the players on the team need to take a good, long, hard look at themselves. They need to help Tim out and not have him trying to carry their asses. They should all be ashamed of themselves asking a 38 year old to carry their asses while they mail it in.

milkyway21
02-22-2015, 07:44 PM
With what happened to Chris Bosh announcing he 'll miss the rest of the season due to blood clots now affecting his lungs (same as Jerome Kersey who just died), made me realize how lucky we are as fans & the Spurs.

Our 37-38 yrs old future HOFs Duncan & Ginobili are HEALTHY, our 32-yr old starting PG is showing signs of getting back to his old form, and the rest of the Spurs are back. They are @ #7 in the WC but with about 40+ games left to end of the regular season they might not be at #1 but there's still a 100% chance they gain homecourt advantage in the 1st round of the play-offs.

Each title year this team had different runs, in 2003 it was during the RRT or rodeo road trip, last year the Spurs team record 19-winning streak then in the Ist round game 7 in playoffs vs Dallas, there might be another story to tell this season :)

That trophy is still up for grabs.
The future is bright.

Obstructed_View
02-22-2015, 07:47 PM
Nobody looks unbeatable so far. The Spurs played crappy defense, came out flat two games in a row and could have beaten two playoff teams in the west on back to back nights. Would have been nice to jump a few spots, but all these two losses do is pretty much ensure that they can't catch Memphis. Third is still probably within reach.

mkurts
02-22-2015, 10:30 PM
The main problem with this team is that Tim is 38 and he's still been by far the best and most consistent player on the team this season. Every other fucking player on this roster needs to get their heads out of their asses and step up and be more consistent. It really pisses me off that at this age Tim still has to be the best player and still carry the team. Other players need to step up and start playing hard, aggressive and consistent every game. You can't expect a 38 year old to keep carrying your fucking asses every game.

Tiago Splitter - soft and pathetic most of the season. Defense has taken a nosedive.
Boris Diaw - fat and out of shape, extremely inconsistent, not aggressive enough on a consistent basis
Danny Green - inconsistent
Manu - inconsistent, too many silly turnovers throughout games, not attacking the rim enough
Tony Parker - Pathetic. Not much more I can say. Not sure if it's injury or what is the cause. Isn't playing with any heart whatsoever. Defense nonexistent.
Marco - joke on defense, mediocre on offense
Patty Mills - Outside of making a few shots when he first returned, he has been poor otherwise. Joseph should have his spot in the rotation at this point.
Kawhi - inconsistent. Doesn't have the handles to get to the rim, which is what the Spurs need more than jump shots and the breaking of the offense.

When all these guys get their heads out of their asses, the Spurs will start playing better. As it stands right now, Tim's been the best player and the only one that has been consistent for most of the season. The rest of the players on the team need to take a good, long, hard look at themselves. They need to help Tim out and not have him trying to carry their asses. They should all be ashamed of themselves asking a 38 year old to carry their asses while they mail it in.

Pretty much sums it up. Porker and Manure leading the charge with younger losers into hell. Kawhi playing badly but at least his effort is there.

dbestpro
02-22-2015, 10:39 PM
The team is complacent and satisfied. From the front office to the coaches, and the players, they just are not as hungry as years past. Nothing to get too worked up about. It's kind of expected after having such great focus last year.

TheGreatYacht
02-22-2015, 10:43 PM
Pretty much sums it up. Porker and Manure leading the charge with younger losers into hell. Kawhi playing badly but at least his effort is there.
Kawhi's effort? His defense has gone down the drain. Dude can't even hold his own against Matt Barnes at the moment. Hope he gets his shit together.

DieHardSpursFan1537
02-22-2015, 11:12 PM
Looks like they're about toast. But then again, I wouldn't mind seeing a mid-March miracle turnaround. CIA Pop at its finest

Ice009
02-23-2015, 12:07 AM
Our 37-38 yrs old future HOFs Duncan & Ginobili are HEALTHY, our 32-yr old starting PG is showing signs of getting back to his old form, and the rest of the Spurs are back. They are @ #7 in the WC but with about 40+ games left to end of the regular season they might not be at #1 but there's still a 100% chance they gain homecourt advantage in the 1st round of the play-offs.

There's 27 games left in the regular season. You do know that the All-star break isn't the exact halfway point of the regular season? The regular season is usually around 2/3 of the way through at the point when the All-star break comes up.

ElNono
02-23-2015, 12:24 AM
Tim, Danny and Gino carried this team through the worst December schedule in franchise history, tbh... while other players were sitting out with eye infections, sore calf, sore hammy... unfortunately, the team has taken a toll for that...

There's still time to turn things around, but it will certainly take a concerted effort...

AFBlue
02-23-2015, 12:26 AM
SPAM is a thing for good reason. Spurs will get healthy and start to gel at the right time. Not worried tbqh.

marinoman
02-23-2015, 01:01 AM
Our pgs Parker/mills are shitting the bed. If the real parker shows up and patty regains confidence and starts shooting pull-up jumpers from all angles then we can beat anyone road/home. Splitter showing up would be nice too

spurs10
02-23-2015, 01:18 AM
I read a post by a dude named Chopper a few days back and he seemed to think the team might start coming together around the beginning of March. :spam:

Hoops Czar
02-23-2015, 01:40 AM
"Don't underestimate the heart of a champion" The '94-95 Rockets came in as the 6th seed following an NBA championship, sporting a 47-35 record. They went all the way baby. Sure, they're the lowest seed to win an championship, but who's to say the Spurs can't rewrite the history books one last time. Belieeeeeeeeeeeeve!!!!!

spurs10
02-23-2015, 01:48 AM
BELIEVE

daslicer
02-23-2015, 02:11 AM
"Don't underestimate the heart of a champion" The '94-95 Rockets came in as the 6th seed following an NBA championship, sporting a 47-35 record. They went all the way baby. Sure, they're the lowest seed to win an championship, but who's to say the Spurs can't rewrite the history books one last time. Belieeeeeeeeeeeeve!!!!!

If the spurs pulled it off it would be the most legendary championship run ever. I guess that's something to get excited about the possibilities of achieving even though the chance of it happening seems bleak.

Sean Cagney
02-23-2015, 02:18 AM
That guy is a fucking idiot most of the time, excuse my french but he is either an LA fan here pretending to be a Spurs fan or just a flat out troll. Either or that dude is the worst poster in here IMO, if not close to it. He says the same shit all the time.

BTW I will judge in a month or so if they are finished, even then it's too soon.

Sean Cagney
02-23-2015, 02:23 AM
No not really it would have been tied 2-2 after 4 games regardless of if Ibaka played or not. They had their chance to win the series but choked massively in game 5 getting blown out and choked again in a close game 6. OKC wasn't mentally strong enough to be a champion and one could argue if it wasn't for ZBO's suspension they lose in round 1 or if CP3 doesn't throw away game 5 they lose to the clippers.
Correct, IF CONLEY doesn't choke away a game or two and they go up 3-1 like they should have (Forgotten by many but he did) then they are out in round one. I agree on the second part as well, CP3 gave them that series there.

lol, you don't fluke DOMINATION, dipshit. That was one of the most dominant runs ever.

That guy is a FUCKING idiot and says the same shit all the time Ice, don't waste your time on that troll. You don't go to the WCF and nearly win the finals and then back to win the finals and call it a fluke, that run there shows they are legit. You don't win a record amount of games by 15+ as I told this idiot if it is a fluke run. He will come back with the Ibaka excuse even though they lost on their HC with him in there and this crap over and over, don't waste your time.

Worst troll on here, not a Spurs fan.

tuncaboylu
02-23-2015, 03:39 AM
The most important issue is staying healthy.

We all know that regular season games are just a procedure. If we stay healthy, we will have a shot.

Remember 2010-2011 NBA Season. Celtics were looking old, tired, diminished and careless. Orlando and Cavs were clear favorites. But they beat both of these team and lost in finals against Lakers in 7 games.

That's why, do not need to rush anything. We will see what will happen in play-offs.

milkyway21
02-23-2015, 05:10 AM
There's 27 games left in the regular season. You do know that the All-star break isn't the exact halfway point of the regular season? The regular season is usually around 2/3 of the way through at the point when the All-star break comes up.

Thanks
... 27 it is..

FireMicoHalili
02-23-2015, 06:10 AM
Parker's clearly not himself. Also I wish the team added some title-hungry vets.

Ice009
02-23-2015, 08:08 AM
Either way, I'm not giving up. Spurs can still do it.

As I've said before - if the ship goes down, I'm going to be on it.

J_Paco
02-23-2015, 10:19 AM
Tim, Danny and Gino carried this team through the worst December schedule in franchise history, tbh... while other players were sitting out with eye infections, sore calf, sore hammy... unfortunately, the team has taken a toll for that...

There's still time to turn things around, but it will certainly take a concerted effort...

Yep, those 2 triple overtime losses will haunt the team from a physical standpoint the remainder of the season. The front-office messed up not bringing in someone with more upside than Reggie Williams for the 15th spot and not acquiring either another wing player or a fourth big that can replace Baynes, Diaw or Splitter. People aren't realizing that a lot of this season's outcome will hinder on the fact that many of our players are just fatigued.

gambit1990
02-23-2015, 05:12 PM
pop likes to tinker sooo... he should try starting manu at pg. kawhi would get the ball more as a result... and tony could play against the other teams' second unit. we're playing the jazz tonight, fuck it.