PDA

View Full Version : DMN: Finley: Departure from Mavs hurt, but it's a business

CubanMustGo
09-02-2005, 10:48 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/090305dnspomavsfinley.1ca83aae.html

9:09 PM CDT on Friday, September 2, 2005

By DAVID MOORE / The Dallas Morning News

SAN ANTONIO – In the hours after the Mavericks were eliminated by Phoenix, when he was too tired and discouraged to return to his locker, Michael Finley sat in a restricted corner of American Airlines Center and commiserated with owner Mark Cuban.

"We're in this together," Cuban assured Finley. "We'll stick it out together."

Three months later, Finley shook hands with San Antonio's Gregg Popovich and held up his No. 4 jersey for a photo op as the newest member of the Spurs.

Finley's departure from the Mavericks has been jarring, but not unexpected. The amnesty clause in the new collective bargaining agreement gave Cuban a get-out-of-jail card that allowed him to get out from under Finley's contract.

Still, Finley had invested nearly nine years of his life in the Mavericks. He talked after Friday's news conference at the Spurs' practice facility about how hard it was to leave.

"Well, it hurts from the standpoint to think the way everything came about," Finley said. "At the same time, I mean, I understand it's a business. I've been in this league for 10 years. I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly."

Cuban didn't know an amnesty clause would be included when he spoke to the Mavericks guard in May. Once he did know, Cuban called and hinted that the club might use it to waive Finley.

Finley didn't agree with the decision. He thought the team could have traded him.

But the moment Cuban acknowledged that he could be waived, Finley knew he would not be happy if he stayed with the Mavericks.

"I guess I wasn't seen as part of the future in the Mavericks' eyes, which is cool," said Finley, who signed a multi-year contract with the Spurs that starts at $2.65 million. "I understand that. Basketball players come and go.

"For me, I'm coming to a situation where I'm wanted, and I'm looking forward to it."

Officials with Miami, Phoenix, Minnesota and the Spurs made the pilgrimage to Finley's Chicago home last week. Popovich's pitch was blunt. No bells and whistles. No mariachi bands or breakfast in bed. Popovich told the career 19-point scorer that he would be coming off the bench for San Antonio.

Finley concedes that will be an adjustment. But the chance to play for the defending world champions trumped his ego.

"The one thing that stood out to me was he [Popovich] said for once in your basketball career, be selfish," Finley said. "By saying that, he was pretty much telling me to do what was best for me. Not to keep friends happy or associates happy, but to do what was best for me.

"As a player and a man, I really respected him saying that. I took that to heart."

Finley and former Mavericks guard Nick Van Exel, who signed earlier this week, give needed depth to a Spurs team that relied on seven players in the Finals. His laid-back personality is an ideal fit. Popovich talked about how Finley is cut out of the same, quiet mold as Tim Duncan.

"Do what you're expected to do and go on about your way," Finley said. "That's the way my personality is. It will fit right in.

"I'm not going to dye my hair and try to get extra attention. That's just not me."

And has Finley thought about what it will be like to play the Mavericks for the first time?

"Yeah," he said. "I'm kind of looking forward to it. I think it's Nov. 5, if I'm not mistaken.

"It should be an interesting game."

ZStomp
09-02-2005, 10:58 PM
Yeaaa....I can't wait for the season to start.

timvp
09-02-2005, 11:00 PM
I want Finley to go Steve Smith versus Dallas. What was SSmith, 8-for-8 on threes in his return to Portland?

FromWayDowntown
09-02-2005, 11:04 PM
I want Finley to go Steve Smith versus Dallas. What was SSmith, 8-for-8 on threes in his return to Portland?

Yup. He was 13-19 from the floor, 8-8 from 3, and 2-2 from the line for 36 points. Spurs won by 16.

By the way, Pop's statement to Finley is just priceless. "Here's the deal: best you get with us is a role off the bench. We would love to have you, but you really should be selfish and do what's best for you. If it's us, in that role, that's great; if it's somewhere else, we'll completely understand."