PDA

View Full Version : is mgmt to blame for standing pat after each championship?

davi78239
02-21-2015, 01:07 AM
All for except the 2004 season did we stand pat while other teams got better, especially this season. Did those Laker teams that repeated stand pat after winning?? What about those bulls teams or the rockets??

Malik Hairston
02-21-2015, 01:09 AM
Maybe, but realistically, a trade wouldn't change the fact that the majority of last year's rotation players have regressed significantly..

daslicer
02-21-2015, 01:10 AM
In the summer of '06 they added Finley and Van Exel. Finley at that time was a good addition but it just didn't work out due to Manu screwing up in game 7 against the Mavs.

ElNono
02-21-2015, 01:11 AM
A trade or two for bench talent isn't going to make your regulars play harder, tbh...

RD2191
02-21-2015, 01:11 AM
Maybe, but realistically, a trade wouldn't change the fact that the majority of last year's rotation players have regressed significantly..
It's fucking crazy. The entire team looks like pure shit besides Tim.

TheGoldStandard
02-21-2015, 01:12 AM
A trade or two for bench talent isn't going to make your regulars play harder, tbh...
Especially when Pop won't play "bench" players who show more grit

Johnny RIngo
02-21-2015, 01:12 AM
The writing was on the wall when they opted to save money instead of using the MLE this summer. Giving Parker that three year extension was a head-scratcher though. Did they really think Tony was going to live up to that salary?

TheGoldStandard
02-21-2015, 01:13 AM
The writing was on the wall when they opted to save money instead of using the MLE this summer. Giving Parker that three year extension was a head-scratcher though. Did they really think Tony was going to live up to that salary?

Who can we sucker for draft picks?

gameFACE
02-21-2015, 01:16 AM
Of all championship teams I thought this one had the best chance to repeat. So standing pat made sense. But no one besides Tim is playing well. It has nothing to do with whatever particular player a fan has a bug up his ass about.

BatManu20
02-21-2015, 01:17 AM
No..

Capt Bringdown
02-21-2015, 07:28 AM
All for except the 2004 season did we stand pat while other teams got better, especially this season. Did those Laker teams that repeated stand pat after winning?? What about those bulls teams or the rockets??

Good point. This organization does not know what it takes to achieve B2B championships.

therealtruth
02-21-2015, 10:55 AM
Unfortunately it reflects on Pop. I think of all the coaches that have won 5 championships. All of them have done back to back at some point. They need to figure out what's missing and get back to that level. I haven't looked at that stats but I am guessing our defense isn't as good as it was in the past. That's where you've got to wonder if Tiago shouldn't go back to starting.

dbreiden83080
02-21-2015, 11:13 AM
I can't get upset over not going back go back when you have 5 rings.. 5..

To me the best chance to do it was 2006 that was a hell of a team and if not for Manu's bonehead play we might have done it..

Chomag
02-21-2015, 11:13 AM
Yes. I said this in another thread. I had thought that the FO had learned that from the past but that doesn't seem to be the case. I can understand how well it sounds and looks on paper as they were a dominant championship team just last season. However what doest show on paper is not only are other teams improving but they are hungry while standing pat makes things stale just like we are seeing all this year, Players are looking complacent and playing satisfied. In sports you always need to be looking to change and improve just to keep things fresh so the team still has that fire throught the whole year.Look at MJ's bulls even they had to make key changes each year to stay competitive.

Like I said though i guess I can understand what the FO sees but the truth through history has shown time and time again that that doesnt wwork out just like what happned to the Spurs after 08 where I had thought the FO had learned that leason.

Chomag
02-21-2015, 11:15 AM
Also seeing many posts here just shows that many fans are just as satisfied as the Spurs team is right now lol

The seasons still not over but our players need to start giving a damn before the hole gets to deep though.

MultiTroll
02-21-2015, 11:44 AM
2000 No Duncan.
2004. No adjustments by Popped after having a 2-0 lead. Wasn't summer 2003 when we got TurkeyGlue?
2006 Finley overused, Tall Ball abandoned in favor of losing small balls. :pop::jack

2008. Failure to get Lewie Scola was and is a disgrace. Pop sucking off Kobme, going Quitter mode in saying Spurs have no chance after Manu goes down.
Brent Barrdog goes for 25/5/5 in relief but Popped says nothing to media after Derek Swisher tries to mount him with no call.

2015. In another Quitter move, claims we are done without Kobme Parker. STFU quitter.
As to trades, i dunno whom could we have gotten this summer? Or now?

MultiTroll
02-21-2015, 11:47 AM
Also seeing many posts here just shows that many fans are just as satisfied as the Spurs team is right now lol

The seasons still not over but our players need to start giving a damn before the hole gets to deep though.
Could it be sadly the influence, or non influence of many a San Antone resident fan who is perfectly happy with no repeat?
In a town where going out back with your cow is considered a hot Satarday night.

Budkin
02-21-2015, 12:14 PM
Same exact team that was amazing, no excuses.

Malik Hairston
02-21-2015, 12:37 PM

Pretty much..

I understood the criticism of the FO for not making moves after the 2005 and 2007 championships, especially the latter, since that 2007 team faced minimal competition and Duncan/Bowen/Horry were all old, but this year's team has the same players, and only Duncan/Ginobili are old enough to use that as an excuse(and in Duncan's case, he has been by far the best player on the team, so he isn't even the problem)..

It's just injuries + mysterious regression..

UZER
02-21-2015, 12:43 PM
Who can we sucker for draft picks?

Nobody trades with the spurs. Everyone else trades with each other. The spurs are not in that club.

SpurPadre
02-21-2015, 12:55 PM

Same exact roster that was amazing last year but time doesn't stand still just for the Spurs.

AaronY
02-21-2015, 01:28 PM
Good point. This organization does not know what it takes to achieve B2B championships.
If .4 and Manu's foul on dirk hadn't of happened they probably would have

Agloco
02-21-2015, 03:42 PM
Pretty much..

I understood the criticism of the FO for not making moves after the 2005 and 2007 championships, especially the latter, since that 2007 team faced minimal competition and Duncan/Bowen/Horry were all old, but this year's team has the same players, and only Duncan/Ginobili are old enough to use that as an excuse(and in Duncan's case, he has been by far the best player on the team, so he isn't even the problem)..

It's just injuries + mysterious regression..

Its the strange nature of the fall off that makes me want to believe that theres another gear waiting until playoff time to be used. We shall see.

davi78239
02-21-2015, 03:58 PM
We can only hope.

DMC
02-22-2015, 04:14 AM
The problem with the Spurs is that the core group just isn't that good any more. They are good for their age, but not good on a night by night basis. Getting new guys isn't going to fix that. The big 3 are not going to be replaced with look alikes or mid level talent. You're talking about 3 HOFers. Not going to happen.

DMC
02-22-2015, 04:16 AM
Its the strange nature of the fall off that makes me want to believe that theres another gear waiting until playoff time to be used. We shall see.

There is another gear, it's called Park... er.

When Tony decides winning is important, the Spurs will do better. Tony's been playing shitty. He's not 40, maybe being around guys who are talking retirement, the same group he's been with for 10 years, has caused him to age mentally.

BOHOLANO#21
02-22-2015, 04:52 PM
Spurs will be fine! We will repeat with our lowest seeding in title years! Lower seeding means we have higher pick for the coming draft! CIA Pop

Ice009
02-22-2015, 05:15 PM
I wanted to reload after every championship. Having some extra firepower and motivation to win can always help IMO.

People that bring up 2006, well I still liked the moves that were done and I don't really blame that one on the players. It was more Pop's coaching and Manu's stupid foul. Finley and Van Exel were both good signings. Van Exel should have been benched in favor of Beno when it was clear he had nothing left in the tank. That one was on Pop and him going small against the Mavs was also on him. The players did the best they could and adjusted throughout that series. Even with all that, still should have won it if not for that error at the end of game 7.

davi78239
02-22-2015, 05:19 PM
And the dumbasses will trade the pick. Book it!!

MultiTroll
02-22-2015, 05:22 PM
I wanted to reload after every championship. Having some extra firepower and motivation to win can always help IMO.

People that bring up 2006, well I still liked the moves that were done and I don't really blame that one on the players. It was more Pop's coaching and Manu's stupid foul. Finley and Van Exel were both good signings. Van Exel should have been benched in favor of Beno when it was clear he had nothing left in the tank. That one was on Pop and him going small against the Mavs was also on him. The players did the best they could and adjusted throughout that series. Even with all that, still should have won it if not for that error at the end of game 7.
We were on the verge of finishing up the reaming of the Kings. With Tall Ball i might add as Man From Nazr got enough playing time. Subhuman Ron Artest was off his meds and obviously looking to hurt someone with the Spurs up 20 going into the 4th.
Pop-a-Moron leaves Parker in and on a drive Artest assaults him. Wow that was unpredictable. :rolleyes

Result is Parker is 60% at best vs Dallas.
To boot, Pop goes with Mike Finley at the power forward playing D on Dirk.
Worked by rookie Avery Johnson. Fucks sake.

daslicer
02-22-2015, 05:29 PM
We were on the verge of finishing up the reaming of the Kings. With Tall Ball i might add as Man From Nazr got enough playing time. Subhuman Ron Artest was off his meds and obviously looking to hurt someone with the Spurs up 20 going into the 4th.
Pop-a-Moron leaves Parker in and on a drive Artest assaults him. Wow that was unpredictable. :rolleyes

I despised Artest before that series started knowing he was going to hurt both Parker and Ginobili once he realized he couldn't win against them. He took out both of them with cheap dirty fouls. I think Parker suffered from a rib injury against one of his assaults. And Ginobili I can't remember also got a nagging injury from one of his dirty cheap shots.

therealtruth
02-23-2015, 08:22 PM

So we're set to get a bad break in the playoffs like in '06 or '08. That's pretty much why you reload. To increase your chances of winning.

Johnny RIngo
02-23-2015, 08:57 PM
So we're set to get a bad break in the playoffs like in '06 or '08.

Hopefully not but it wouldn't surprise me. TD and Manu are in their late 30s..which is ancient in basketball years. We've been incredibly fortunate that neither one has had any sort of ailment or injury in their last three playoff runs. Strangely enough, it's the youngest of the "big three" that has been unreliable as far as durability goes. Then again, that could just be Tony making excuses for his poor post-season play. Jordan worshippers like him and Kobe are known to do that from time to time. Every heroballer wants to emulate that flu game, I guess.