PDA

View Full Version : Motivation is a hell of a drug, tbh...

ElNono
02-21-2015, 01:17 AM
A mere 8 months ago, this team was kicking ass and taking names... everybody, from the oldest guy to the youngling, the starters to the end of the bench...

I don't buy these professionals forgot how to play. It's unnerving, but they gotta find the fire.

Legacy
02-21-2015, 01:19 AM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/339048/gregg-popovich-approved-o.gif

BatManu20
02-21-2015, 01:29 AM
That feeling from 6 can't be replicated or duplicated.

daslicer
02-21-2015, 01:31 AM
Its hard to have motivation after overcoming 6. The Spurs are just playing with house money now.

Leetonidas
02-21-2015, 01:32 AM
That's why I'm holding out hope. They didn't forget how to play ball and turn into a team of washed up losers in 8 months. Shit is mental. But that is one of the biggest obstacles to overcome

egtonecity
02-21-2015, 01:36 AM
Drugs are a hell of a drug. Spurs need to get on that hgh.

SnakeBoy
02-21-2015, 01:42 AM
As I've been saying, it is all the beards fault. If it's not removed they don't have a chance. The beards name is Contentment.

MI21
02-21-2015, 01:47 AM
You have to think that once that familiar feeling of the playoffs roll around, they will find some fire, competitiveness and toughness.

That said, they have put themselves in a whole and will have to really battle to get homecourt in any round at this point - it might just be a little late.

spurs10
02-21-2015, 01:53 AM
It's puzzling the drop-off. Of course we have only had a full roster for a few games. I think this b2b loss will be motivating. I also think we will improve, but it will be tough to climb up to hca. I think the motivation to win repeat will kick in, but I hope there's still time to peak at the right time.

spurs10
02-21-2015, 01:54 AM
You have to think that once that familiar feeling of the playoffs roll around, they will find some fire, competitiveness and toughness.

That said, they have put themselves in a whole and will have to really battle to get homecourt in any round at this point - it might just be a little late. Almost identical thoughts....didn't read yours until I posted.

Robz4000
02-21-2015, 01:55 AM
They're only 3-4 games back of the three seed. If they start playing like we know they can starting Monday, they're set. Problem is its more likely we get these Spurs the rest of the way.

Cloud786
02-21-2015, 02:01 AM

SpurPadre
02-21-2015, 02:02 AM
Back from what was the worst live experience I've had at a sporting event. Anyways, it's time we stop using the coasting and lack of motivation excuse and accept the fact that we're not good enough right now. We're simply getting out played on both ends and are a step slower than we were 8 months ago. No more excuses.

Sean Cagney
02-21-2015, 02:03 AM
Its hard to have motivation after overcoming 6. The Spurs are just playing with house money now.

You are correct Slicer.

Sean Cagney
02-21-2015, 02:04 AM

Everything he just said was dead on.

ElNono
02-21-2015, 02:07 AM
Back from what was the worst live experience I've had at a sporting event. Anyways, it's time we stop using the coasting and lack of motivation excuse and accept the fact that we're not good enough right now. We're simply getting out played on both ends and are a step slower than we were 8 months ago. No more excuses.

I don't think it's an excuse, it's just reality. If you think it's an excuse, then this team had a historical decline in 8 months and time isn't going to fix it.

SpurPadre
Oh and Barkley is an idiot but he's right in that no team without any kind of home court advantage will come out of the West. Not happening. If we can't get to 4th seed, it would take the biggest underdog story in NBA history to repeat as a 5th seed or under.

MI21
Not often that McDonald makes sense...

BatManu20
02-21-2015, 02:08 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself.

SpurPadre
02-21-2015, 02:10 AM
I don't think it's an excuse, it's just reality. If you think it's an excuse, then this team had a historical decline in 8 months and time isn't going to fix it.

When you factor the team's age and that PATFO didn't make any upgrades, it's really not a historical decline. But time can fix it with less back to backs and....Well, just hope.

Venti Quattro
02-21-2015, 02:18 AM
Last year the Spurs were like Denzel in Man on Fire. They were great to watch because they were blowing everything and anything within their sight. They were thirsty for blood and justice. They were on a hot streak of killing off everyone and they eventually killed off the head of the syndicate. Now that they've gotten retribution, well, they still are Denzel in Man on Fire... only the Denzel who has a gunshot wound, dying, and in the car with the Mexican gangsters.

And btw, 6 was when the Mexican Gangsters kidnapped Dakota Fanning and left Denzel wounded and for dead on the streets. So this is a perfect movie to describe the Spurs the last three seasons.

Malik Hairston
02-21-2015, 02:20 AM
Chris Bosh actually said the same thing recently..

He said he loved Miami's run, but that he's a little relieved that it's over and that he can relax for a bit of time, since it takes such a massive toll, both physically and mentally, to play so many high-intensity playoff games..

It's a reality that fans do not want to hear, but these guys aren't robots, tbh..Tony Parker looks like he feels the same way as Bosh, considering he spent the entire off-season eating like Oliver Miller..

apalisoc_9
02-21-2015, 02:29 AM
I remember Kerr saying that by their third championship run with the bulls, games were more tiring and that there's really no motivation...fortunately for them the NBA wasn't as smart before..It was on BS with Bill simmons IIRC. I think he said he was surprised they even won since in terms of motivation, they had very little both in the playoffs and regular season..

Goes to show how bad the NBA was back then.

SpurPadre
02-21-2015, 02:30 AM
Chris Bosh actually said the same thing recently..

He said he loved Miami's run, but that he's a little relieved that it's over and that he can relax for a bit of time, since it takes such a massive toll, both physically and mentally, to play so many high-intensity playoff games..

It's a reality that fans do not want to hear, but these guys aren't robots, tbh..Tony Parker looks like he feels the same way as Bosh, considering he spent the entire off-season eating like Oliver Miller..

Yeah but at least Bosh can say he's successfully defended a title. It would suck if the Big 3 and Pop leave the sport without being able to claim that distinction as well, especially TD.

Aremid
02-21-2015, 02:37 AM
Yeah but at least Bosh can say he's successfully defended a title. It would suck if the Big 3 and Pop leave the sport without being able to claim that distinction as well, especially TD.

Exactly. Repeating = dynasty status and our team from the FO to ayers is too weak and pathetic to care. What a horrible way to end Duncan's last year

TrainOfThought5
02-21-2015, 02:44 AM
Oh and Barkley is an idiot but he's right in that no team without any kind of home court advantage will come out of the West. Not happening. If we can't get to 4th seed, it would take the biggest underdog story in NBA history to repeat as a 5th seed or under.

So youre saying theres a chance?

SpurPadre
02-21-2015, 02:51 AM
So youre saying theres a chance?

If we end up 5th seed or lower, I'll use Pop's .4% chance, tbh.

Legacy
02-21-2015, 02:51 AM
Is Pop motivated? He keeps doing all this goofy shit with the players, and that's fine and dandy when you're 1st or 2nd seed like we were in the years passed. ... But come the fuck on already. It's time to stop fucking around and push the gas pedal. WTH is going on in that mad, seemingly apathetic, senile mind of his?

ElNono
02-21-2015, 03:59 AM
When you factor the team's age and that PATFO didn't make any upgrades, it's really not a historical decline. But time can fix it with less back to backs and....Well, just hope.

But that's exactly what I was pointing out. You could say Tim or Manu, maybe Tony have declined physically, but we're talking half the roster and not all old guys. So, you're left with "playing harder" which is strictly a motivation aspect.

There's no upgrade that will fix that. One or two hungry bench guys aren't going to make the rest play with a chip on their shoulder.

HI-FI
02-21-2015, 04:23 AM
my theory is Pop's beard is the sign to take it easy, focus on the big picture etc...Once he shaves it, it's go time.

moisaenz
02-21-2015, 04:35 AM
at the end of the day is just a game, they will get paid their millions win or lose. The young guys will have other chances in the future, all the old guys are future HOFs.They probably will feel bad for not repeating...

Chomag
02-21-2015, 04:40 AM
This is why i think spurs staying pat was a huge blow. You gotta add something fresh to keep the fire going. We saw this after 08 and i had thought the FO had learned from that.

Skull-1
02-21-2015, 06:17 AM
Last year the Spurs were like Denzel in Man on Fire. They were great to watch because they were blowing everything and anything within their sight. They were thirsty for blood and justice. They were on a hot streak of killing off everyone and they eventually killed off the head of the syndicate. Now that they've gotten retribution, well, they still are Denzel in Man on Fire... only the Denzel who has a gunshot wound, dying, and in the car with the Mexican gangsters.

And btw, 6 was when the Mexican Gangsters kidnapped Dakota Fanning and left Denzel wounded and for dead on the streets. So this is a perfect movie to describe the Spurs the last three seasons.

:lmao

Uriel
02-21-2015, 06:36 AM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/339048/gregg-popovich-approved-o.gif
UGH. Yet another reminder as to why Pop should shave his beard.

Capt Bringdown
02-21-2015, 07:26 AM
I look back on those brutal series of overtime losses in December as the first indication that this year's squad just doesn't have the mental toughness and competitive fire. They aren't able to overcome adversity this year.

Skull-1
02-21-2015, 08:00 AM
I look back on those brutal series of overtime losses in December as the first indication that this year's squad just doesn't have the mental toughness and competitive fire. They aren't able to overcome adversity this year.

Last year's team dominated so completely and with such vengeance, one wonders if they didn't leave it all on the table.

Russ
02-21-2015, 08:12 AM
my theory is Pop's beard is the sign to take it easy, focus on the big picture etc...Once he shaves it, it's go time.

Yep, if Pop is cruisin, why shouldn't the players. A scruffy beard and loafers with no socks.

The strange thing is, Pop always breaks out the beard the year after a title. Never any other time. And so far, the Spurs haven't repeated.

Duncan needs to do an intervention -- he's the only one that can. :whine

baseline bum
02-21-2015, 08:48 AM
But that's exactly what I was pointing out. You could say Tim or Manu, maybe Tony have declined physically, but we're talking half the roster and not all old guys. So, you're left with "playing harder" which is strictly a motivation aspect.

There's no upgrade that will fix that. One or two hungry bench guys aren't going to make the rest play with a chip on their shoulder.

I think it can be blamed on Parker's game falling off a cliff, Splitter's constant injuries, and Diaw having a shit season. Baynes shouldn't be playing the minutes he is, but with Splitter and Diaw having such terrible years he has been forced to. It's not going to be fixed without those three finding whatever they found the last two seasons.

baseline bum
02-21-2015, 08:51 AM
This is why i think spurs staying pat was a huge blow. You gotta add something fresh to keep the fire going. We saw this after 08 and i had thought the FO had learned from that.

They lost in 08 because Ginobili was a shell of himself after getting hurt in the NO series.

Skull-1
02-21-2015, 08:51 AM
I think it can be blamed on Parker's game falling off a cliff, Splitter's constant injuries, and Diaw having a shit season. Baynes shouldn't be playing the minutes he is, but with Splitter and Diaw having such terrible years he has been forced to. It's not going to be fixed without those three finding whatever they found the last two seasons.

Pop screwed Splitter's head up in the past with this short leash approach.

MVPCues
02-21-2015, 09:04 AM
The why is all conjecture. The what is real easy. The Spurs are not playing as well. Other teams in the west are playing better. Motivation this complacency that old here injured there boils down to weak excuses. There is some truth in all of it but none of it changes the what. It doesn't matter if they are three games out of whatever place when the team in that place and the teams between are beating us or winning at the same pace.

They could turn it around. I believe it is possible. I don't bet it will happen though. I think the six seed, winning in seven after a war and then getting beat easily in 2nd round is the smart money bet.

I love the team. I love watching them. I can't understand some of the hate or some of the rose colored glasses either. I do understand the frustration. The miracle story is over. It happened last year. Covet it. It isn't happening this year. Hopefully I am wrong. I would love to be wrong.

Go Spurs!

EVAY
02-21-2015, 09:26 AM
The why is all conjecture. The what is real easy. The Spurs are not playing as well. Other teams in the west are playing better. Motivation this complacency that old here injured there boils down to weak excuses. There is some truth in all of it but none of it changes the what. It doesn't matter if they are three games out of whatever place when the team in that place and the teams between are beating us or winning at the same pace.

They could turn it around. I believe it is possible. I don't bet it will happen though. I think the six seed, winning in seven after a war and then getting beat easily in 2nd round is the smart money bet.

I love the team. I love watching them. I can't understand some of the hate or some of the rose colored glasses either. I do understand the frustration. The miracle story is over. It happened last year. Covet it. It isn't happening this year. Hopefully I am wrong. I would love to be wrong.

Go Spurs!

Pretty solid and sane post, tbh. Thanks.

TDomination
02-21-2015, 10:09 AM
This team is lacking a leader who is starving for a championship. One who can wake this team up, because we are still in la la land feeling satisfied with last year.

Players take after their leaders and with Pop it seems like he is giving off a relaxed vibe imo. This team has ZERO fire and its obvious. He can be hard on them, make them work extra in practice but in the end, subconsciously the players are feeling satisfied with where they are. Why? Because their leader seems satisfied.

Yes last year WAS amazing, no matter what happens this year, nothing will ever take away the greatness of 5.
But you know what would feel even more amazing, accomplishing something that you have never done...REPEAT

WHOS LEADING THIS TEAM??

And the crazy thing is that its not about X's and O's, its not about needing a better player. We have it, we've seen it this year but only in spurts. The flame will be put on low for a few moments then it will go out. This team needs a torch and a flame that will last for the rest of the year. But what will spark that flame???

mingus
02-21-2015, 10:30 AM
I haven't had the chance to watch more than a few games this season. But I dont believe a team THAT good falls off a cliff this fast from a basketball know-how standpoint. Sounds to me like they lack motivation. Hopefully, once the Playoffs get closer they pick it up. I don't believe the team just doesn't give a fuck about winning a title. Too out of character. These are just meaningless games to them. They've got nothing to prove to anyone.

therealtruth
02-21-2015, 10:59 AM
We're almost like the '01 Lakers. That team didn't flip the switch till playoffs time. Hopefully they can still flip the switch.

Skull-1
02-21-2015, 11:00 AM
One must also consider the ball movement last season (and the year we lost to the Thunderefs in the WCF) was absolutely astonishing. I would dare say unprecedented. Not only is that tough to sustain for all the obvious reasons, but every team is in transwarp drive scouting us to stop it.

therealtruth
02-21-2015, 11:06 AM
I haven't had the chance to watch more than a few games this season. But I dont believe a team THAT good falls off a cliff this fast from a basketball know-how standpoint. Sounds to me like they lack motivation. Hopefully, once the Playoffs get closer they pick it up. I don't believe the team just doesn't give a fuck about winning a title. Too out of character. These are just meaningless games to them. They've got nothing to prove to anyone.

How about it would be nice to have homecourt advantage in a brutal west. That's got to be motivation unless we think we can win 4 straight series without homecourt like the 94-95 Rockets.

therealtruth
02-21-2015, 11:09 AM
This team is lacking a leader who is starving for a championship. One who can wake this team up, because we are still in la la land feeling satisfied with last year.

Players take after their leaders and with Pop it seems like he is giving off a relaxed vibe imo. This team has ZERO fire and its obvious. He can be hard on them, make them work extra in practice but in the end, subconsciously the players are feeling satisfied with where they are. Why? Because their leader seems satisfied.

Yes last year WAS amazing, no matter what happens this year, nothing will ever take away the greatness of 5.
But you know what would feel even more amazing, accomplishing something that you have never done...REPEAT

WHOS LEADING THIS TEAM??

And the crazy thing is that its not about X's and O's, its not about needing a better player. We have it, we've seen it this year but only in spurts. The flame will be put on low for a few moments then it will go out. This team needs a torch and a flame that will last for the rest of the year. But what will spark that flame???

I agree. From all indications it seems like Pop was the most motivated last year and the team was better of for that. Now he's won it I am not sure he is as motivated. Even the beard symbolically indicates like he's just letting it go.

phxspurfan
02-21-2015, 01:10 PM
we do kind of a need a motivation TBQH TBH TBH TBH. Findog needs to come back.

urunobili
02-21-2015, 01:41 PM

ElNono
02-21-2015, 02:17 PM

Not surprisingly Bobo and Splitter both played over the summer with their NT, so it's somewhat understandable...

dabom
02-21-2015, 02:24 PM

I'm not even fucking joking here too.

DMC
02-21-2015, 02:37 PM
The two teams we faced are better than they were last year. You have to factor in that other teams improve as well. Sure Spurs aren't playing "Spurs basketball", and I am not sure they will play it this year. People aren't only content, they have excuses now. Just look at all the excuses Jeff made above, don't you think some of the newer players fight those demons as well? Two of the big 3 are on the way out, and they better be because having a 2 or 3 year winding down is bad for the future of the Spurs. We don't need 4 years of being 8th seeded.

DMC
02-21-2015, 02:40 PM
How about it would be nice to have homecourt advantage in a brutal west. That's got to be motivation unless we think we can win 4 straight series without homecourt like the 94-95 Rockets.

Unless the Spurs are 8th seeded, there's no guarantee they won't have HCA in at least one series. Regardless, teams win on the road all the time. HCA is overrated.

Malik Hairston
02-21-2015, 02:42 PM
There are too many problems with this team, you can't isolate a single one IMO..they haven't had a chance to establish a rhythm at any point, too..

The constant injuries since day 1 of the season, along with the most difficult month in NBA history(December) have essentially killed any rhythm and chemistry for this team..now you have a team full of underachieving players that are lacking in confidence, unfortunately..not to mention Manu has gone downhill since that brutal December(you could argue the same for DG, too)..

Not to mention the inconsistent rotations from Pop, there have been a number of uncertainties of roles due to the mass injuries..

Literally the only silver lining, which is pretty weak, is that the Spurs are at bottom and could still peak at the right time..I wouldn't be on it, but it's happened before..

Malik Hairston
02-21-2015, 02:45 PM
HCA has been widely discussed among the new-media, this year..it appears that it's barely a factor in today's league, we're seeing the weakest HCA in the history of the NBA..

Gamblers have speculated that it's due to officiating becoming neutral, regardless of venue, as the NBA prepares to make a run at legalizing gambling and attempting to show transparency in their refs..

spurs10
02-21-2015, 03:08 PM
This is a lot to chew on. I agree with McDonald's takes. We have been playing deep into the season for a long time and the fishermen are wanting some of that.

What is the rule with the division leaders in the po's. If Blazers have the fifth or sixth best record in the West, they are still the fourth seed at worst if they are first in their division? Will they get HCA over the number 5 seed if they have a better record?

Mouth is Bleeding
02-21-2015, 03:11 PM
Sorry most of the team is clearly motivated most of the time during 48 minutes. Tony is the only one who will blatantly coast on defense and get more lethargic than I can remember any Spur since Robert Horry.

The problem is that Tony obviously has a much bigger role.

spurs10
02-21-2015, 03:28 PM
This is a lot to chew on. I agree with McDonald's takes. We have been playing deep into the season for a long time and the fishermen are wanting some of that.

What is the rule with the division leaders in the po's. If Blazers have the fifth or sixth best record in the West, they are still the fourth seed at worst if they are first in their division? Will they get HCA over the number 5 seed if they have a better record? I know the fourth seed used to be 'in name only' if the fifth seed had a better record. Is it still that way?

Agloco
02-21-2015, 03:37 PM
They're only 3-4 games back of the three seed. If they start playing like we know they can starting Monday, they're set. Problem is its more likely we get these Spurs the rest of the way.

This.

rmt
02-21-2015, 03:53 PM

Am I the only one who notices that Baynes is ALWAYS sucking air when they break? Is he so out of shape? Admittedly, he shouldn't be playing so many minutes, but he's not doing so badly for what he's being paid. Splitter and Diaw, otoh, show their summer play. Hopefully, Diaw shakes the Horry play when the playoffs starts. I'm not happy with Spurs play but last year, they lost to almost all playoff contenders - had a terrible record and still won. I don't think having HCA is that big a deal - just get to the playoffs healthy and in rhythm. Part of the problem is Parker is trying to get back into rhythm and Pop is trying to give Leonard a bigger role offensively. West is too brutal this year for that experimentation. Get back to the beautiful ball movement and let Leonard get his in the flow - try to peak for the playoffs. Experiment next year - because if they don't repeat, Manu won't be back and probably Duncan too. Time enough then to experiment - hopefully they'll be more healthy next year.

spurs10
02-21-2015, 06:18 PM
I know the fourth seed used to be 'in name only' if the fifth seed had a better record. Is it still that way? :wakeup

TD 21
02-21-2015, 06:41 PM
This isn't about motivation. Despite all the signs, I held off on pronouncing the Heat done until around this point last season, because by this point the motivation excuse no longer flies. You've got to prove yourself (in general, but first and foremost, to yourself) every season and if you don't think the Spurs haven't tried to do that in recent weeks, you're delusional.

Three straight deep runs, when 2 of the top 4 were old to begin with and another of the top four, plus another of the top 7, weren't far off to begin with, has clearly taken it's toll on this team and they're not the same.

baseline bum
02-21-2015, 06:41 PM
Am I the only one who notices that Baynes is ALWAYS sucking air when they break? Is he so out of shape? Admittedly, he shouldn't be playing so many minutes, but he's not doing so badly for what he's being paid. Splitter and Diaw, otoh, show their summer play. Hopefully, Diaw shakes the Horry play when the playoffs starts. I'm not happy with Spurs play but last year, they lost to almost all playoff contenders - had a terrible record and still won. I don't think having HCA is that big a deal - just get to the playoffs healthy and in rhythm. Part of the problem is Parker is trying to get back into rhythm and Pop is trying to give Leonard a bigger role offensively. West is too brutal this year for that experimentation. Get back to the beautiful ball movement and let Leonard get his in the flow - try to peak for the playoffs. Experiment next year - because if they don't repeat, Manu won't be back and probably Duncan too. Time enough then to experiment - hopefully they'll be more healthy next year.

I still gotta say, they could lose every game the rest of the season and miss the playoffs and I'd still be happy as hell for what they did last year.

therealtruth
02-21-2015, 07:16 PM
I still gotta say, they could lose every game the rest of the season and miss the playoffs and I'd still be happy as hell for what they did last year.

I would only be cool with that if we were getting Okafor in the draft.

Unless the Spurs are 8th seeded, there's no guarantee they won't have HCA in at least one series. Regardless, teams win on the road all the time. HCA is overrated.

How do you figure? The only way they could get home court would be if the 8th seed beats the first. Most likely whoever comes out of the east would be have a higher standing.

Legacy
02-21-2015, 07:30 PM

:wow TP... is that you??

DMC
02-21-2015, 07:50 PM
I would only be cool with that if we were getting Okafor in the draft.

How do you figure? The only way they could get home court would be if the 8th seed beats the first. Most likely whoever comes out of the east would be have a higher standing.

We've seen the 8th beat the 1st, haven't we?

If you need HCA to win you're probably not going to.