PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Finley's signature seals Brown's fate

Kori Ellis
09-03-2005, 12:06 AM
Finley's signature seals Brown's fate
Web Posted: 09/03/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA090305.1C.BKNspurs.brown.1d6bcb06.html

Devin Brown, the Spurs' guard who is nearly as passionate about his golf game as his 3-point shot, has yet to hit a golf ball in the rarefied mountain air near Salt Lake City, but he knows it travels considerably farther than it does in Texas.

Come Monday morning, he may want to arrange a tee time in Utah, the state he is soon to call home.

Barring a last-second change of heart, the Spurs are expected to inform both Brown and the Utah Jazz that they will not match the offer sheet Brown signed Thursday with the Jazz. Brown is a restricted free agent, meaning the Spurs have seven days to decide if they want to match the offer Brown received.

Head coach and executive vice-president Gregg Popovich said he will meet with general manager R.C. Buford this weekend to discuss Brown's offer sheet from Utah and will make their decision known no later than Monday morning.

There is no likelihood Popovich and Buford will elect to match Utah's offer. Brown knows this, and has steeled himself to leave San Antonio, where the former West Campus High School and UTSA standout has played the past two seasons for the Spurs.

"I always wanted to stay here in San Antonio," Brown said, "but the way the numbers are unfolding, and the passion I have for the game and the burning inside to want to play sways your mind a little bit.

"I just want to do the best job I can being able to perform on a regular basis. That sort of answers the question of how I'm leaning."

The numbers to which Brown referred include the NBA's luxury tax threshold of $61.7 million. Teams that exceed that figure have to pay a "tax" to the league, dollar for dollar, for player payroll that exceeds the threshold.

The Jazz offered Brown a contract that calls for $2.5 million this season and a second season for slightly more money, though the second year is at the Jazz's option. With former Dallas Mavericks All-Star Michael Finley signing a contract on Friday with the Spurs that will play him $2.675 million this season, and veteran big man Sean Marks soon to re-join the club, the Spurs' payroll has nudged past the tax threshold. Thus, matching Brown's $2.5 million would, in fact, cost them closer to $5 million. Additionally, Finley is a guard-forward combo player, as is Brown.

Brown understood fully the Spurs' pursuit of Finley. Ironically, he is a lifelong Spurs' fan who said the addition of Finley "makes me very excited, just as a fan."

"It still hasn't hit me what I'm doing," Brown said. "I'll still be playing basketball at the highest level, but I'm still going to be a Spurs' fan. I'd love to play here, but I know from the business side the Spurs are going to do whatever it takes to put a great team on floor."

If indeed he has played his last game for the Spurs, Brown looks forward to helping Utah and playing for coach Jerry Sloan.

"You are playing the game of basketball, which is no different in any city or country that you play in, as long as you have that passion to play," Brown said. "I'll definitely have my Mom with me in Utah, so that won't be any change from playing here.

"It's a little bit different to keep in contact with other family and friends, but for the most part if I do leave I'm going to play basketball on a team that plays hard and definitely deserves to win some more games. I'll be playing for a great coach. I want to be part of them trying to get back to where they once were."

Brown played in 67 regular season games for the Spurs last season, missing the final 15 after he suffered a back injury. He averaged 7.4 points, a career high. He was on the playoff roster, but saw limited action in the playoffs because of the injury.

timvp
09-03-2005, 12:08 AM
So the Spurs aren't re-signing Devin to a one-year, $2.5M offer? That doesn't effect them re-signing Mohammed next season. That gives the Spurs a year to see how his back has healed.

Pretty weak.

Congrats, Holt, on making some more money.

Kori Ellis
09-03-2005, 12:11 AM
There's no playing time for Devin with the Spurs anyway. If they could trade Barry by Monday or something, they'd match. :lol

Horry For 3!
09-03-2005, 12:18 AM
Interesting....I guess it is bye Devin have a good time in Utah.

Dex
09-03-2005, 12:19 AM
I feel bad for Devin, but at least this way he won't be stuck fighting for court time for another season. Still, his comments still hit pretty close to the heart. You can tell he really wants to stay here, but at least he's taking it very graciously. Nobody would've expected less from a guy like Devin.

Still...on a basketball perspective...when you're picking up Micheal Finley for Devin Brown prices, I think that qualifies as what Popovich likes to call a 'no-brainer'.

I really don't see them making the move on Barry, either. Although Brown is a great young player and upcoming prospect, Brent provides much more versatility to the team than Devin could, including veteran leadership, personality and locker-room unity, better three point shooting, better fast-break management, and the ability to play three positions (SG, PG, and maybe SF in a pinch), even if his contract is somewhat of an anchor.

Good luck in Utah, Devin.

baseline bum
09-03-2005, 12:20 AM
I would match that deal and try to trade Brent. I'm happy for Devin that he's going somewhere he'll get a lot of playing time though.

T Park
09-03-2005, 12:49 AM
Congrats, Holt, on making some more money

lol

damned if he does.....

Marcus Bryant
09-03-2005, 01:05 AM
Congrats to every last one of you motherfuckers who is glad that Holt Cat is saving some $.

Too bad he isn't going to share it with you.

TheWriter
09-03-2005, 01:20 AM
Congrats to every last one of you motherfuckers who is glad that Holt Cat is saving some $.

Too bad he isn't going to share it with you.

So you'd want them to pay Devin 2.5 million to play the Linton Johnson's role?

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-03-2005, 01:36 AM
Paying 2.5 million for an "injured reserve" player isn't going to happen anywhere, not even NY or Dallas. Don't know why you're calling out Holt.

ZStomp
09-03-2005, 02:18 AM
Why does everybody jump on Holt anyway? It's the right move to make...or not make. Like mentioned above- no playing time for him and too expensive for a IL/IR list.

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-03-2005, 02:20 AM
I can imagine how some of you are feeling about losing Devin, i thought we were in the same boat with DJ (Dermarr Johnson) but he has been a true professional through the Nuggets waiting game and is coming back for the Miniumum which is very unheard of these days for quality backup swingmen........

TheWriter
09-03-2005, 02:28 AM
I can imagine how some of you are feeling about losing Devin, i thought we were in the same boat with DJ (Dermarr Johnson) but he has been a true professional through the Nuggets waiting game and is coming back for the Miniumum which is very unheard of these days for quality backup swingmen........

It's called him not getting any other offers. :lol

phyzik
09-03-2005, 04:37 AM
$2.5mil..... Not bad for a UTSA graduate, and no Im not trying to dis UTSA but its not exactly known for producing potential 6th man award winners or even NBA players in general. Roadrunner Basketball isnt very exciting to say the least. Im happy for Devin as long as he continues to play, I think we might see alot more of him in the future.

rl64tx
09-03-2005, 04:58 AM
Guess Utah is gonna get a good taste of his drunken, obnoxious dad now!!!! :smokin

picnroll
09-03-2005, 07:12 AM
If you like Devin you wouldn't want to see him buried on the bench only geting PT if Finley, Barry and to some extent NVE all failed next year. Only seeing the floor in garbage time. Hopefully Brown gets a lot of minutes, his back holds up and he parlays the next couple of yeas into a contract that takes care of his family and him for life.

And if they did sign Brown you'd just be bitching about the next guy the didn't sign until the Spurs had thirty players under contract.

Solid D
09-03-2005, 07:35 AM
To lose Devin and still have him be a Spurs fan? Hey, that's a win-win situation! :fro

More seriously, we'll miss you Devin. Thanks for the memories.

usckk
09-03-2005, 08:24 AM
I thought we're going over the threshold no matter in order to fill our roster.

Gummi
09-03-2005, 08:37 AM
It's sad to see him leave, but common guys, it's Devin Brown not Manu Ginobili. Some posters here are acting like we're loosing a star player, a key player. Like I've said a hundred times, there are hundreds of Devin's out there just as good and just as athletic. Don't make this a situation of "damn we're loosing a key member of the team". They clearly can win without him. Look at the playoffs. He hardly played and we won.

I would've liked to see Devin return, but he isn't so don't bash Peter Holt all day long because IMO, $2.5 million for Devin right now, not worth it.

usckk
09-03-2005, 08:46 AM
The video is on Nba.com/spurs now.

ducks
09-03-2005, 09:10 AM
maybe they talked to devin and devin wants to play so they will not match

devin has said he wants to play minutes

marcus
09-03-2005, 09:16 AM
one question, does anyone know if we can get a 2nd round pick for him in this deal or not?

ChumpDumper
09-03-2005, 09:22 AM
No. We match or lose him.

ducks
09-03-2005, 09:24 AM
can not the spurs bluff and say they will match then jazz pull the offer and then do a sign and trade

I heard that but not sure it is true

DesiSpur_21
09-03-2005, 09:25 AM
Good luck Devin!!

I wish he'd have got a longer contract though (may be 2-3 yrs guaranteed). I still don't see how trading Barry will open up minutes for Devin..imo Devin is gone.

ChumpDumper
09-03-2005, 09:38 AM
can not the spurs bluff and say they will match then jazz pull the offer and then do a sign and trade

I heard that but not sure it is trueTechnically it's possible, but i've never heard of it actually happening.

CubanMustGo
09-03-2005, 09:41 AM
The Jazz offered Brown a contract that calls for $2.5 million this season and a second season for slightly more money, though the second year is at the Jazz's option. With former Dallas Mavericks All-Star Michael Finley signing a contract on Friday with the Spurs that will play him $2.675 million this season, and veteran big man Sean Marks soon to re-join the club, the Spurs' payroll has nudged past the tax threshold. Thus, matching Brown's $2.5 million would, in fact, cost them closer to $5 million. Additionally, Finley is a guard-forward combo player, as is Brown.

Real easy to castigate someone for not wanting to spend $5M for a DEEP bench player with a questionable back, especially when it's not your money. Sorry, MB, can't go with you on this one. SA is not a rich franchise, and Holt is not one of the Maloof brothers or Paul Allen (not to mention you-know-who in Dallas). $5M is serious money to this team.

marcus
09-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Brown is not worth 2.5 millons

wildbill2u
09-03-2005, 09:56 AM
Is Devin worth 2.5 million to this team--or any team--at the far end of the bench?

All but one other team passed on making him an offer, even after we won the Finley lotto. Perhaps our appraisal of him is biased because he's a local boy making good.

It's good for his career to move to a team where he'll get more minutes. Let's not let our fan enthusiasm cloud our judgement. Do we want to stifle his career growth just to keep him on the squad? That's very selfish.

At 6'5" he's not exactly right for our future SF. We need to keep looking.

marcus
09-03-2005, 10:09 AM
I say Utah is stupid to offer Brown that deal especially when they have Gerald Wallace available.

Ghost Writer
09-03-2005, 10:52 AM
Wallace certainly has more raw talent than Brown, but Devin plays tighter defense and is a better shooter.

Wallace had every opportunity to establish himself on the lowly Bobcats and fizzled in my opinion. You can't just me a swingman who dunks.

Walace's upside is greater, but brown is a lot more dependable, which is classic Utah form.

team-work
09-03-2005, 10:54 AM
I don't think keeping Devin was on the top 5 or even 10 priorities of the Spurs FO this off-season.

ObiwanGinobili
09-03-2005, 10:57 AM
I refuse to accept this or comment on it untill the Spurs announce thier decision.
:depressed

bigzak25
09-03-2005, 11:11 AM
obvoiusly i'll defer to Pop & Co. when it comes to personell decsisions, but i will say i'm dissappointed to lose Devin. I can only imagine that either his back is worse than we think or that Pop was not thrilled with his partying ways. oh well, goodluck Dev. :tu

spurschick
09-03-2005, 11:30 AM
I don't think it needs to be about the money. I'm not Pop, but I don't see how much playing time he can get with the Spurs and playing time is definitely something Devin needs to show that his back is fine and to re-prove his value. Plus, he's such an energetic guy - he would be wasted on the deep bench. The offer with Utah is only for 2 years. Bruce and Finley are going to be looking at retirement around that time. I don't see why Devin can't eventually come back to SA.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-03-2005, 11:53 AM
Jesus people, you are all calling out Pop and Holt for not wanting to spend 5 mil on the 12th man with a questionable back?

Look, I like Devin but have some freakin' perspective.

Plus, it's not like he is signing a 6 year deal. It's one year with an option for the second. So the Spurs let him go when they don't have any PT, he goes and gets experience, proves his back is okay, then we can revisit a more experienced, healthy Devin Brown down the road.

bigzak25
09-03-2005, 11:59 AM
The offer with Utah is only for 2 years. Bruce and Finley are going to be looking at retirement around that time. I don't see why Devin can't eventually come back to SA.

that's a great point. he gets some cash, some playing time, and will have the chance to come home when Fin is long gone and Bruce is about ready to hang it up....

AND the Spurs get to see just how good he is and how healthy he can stay, thus his Market Value shoud be clearly determined by that point...the only lose is IF Dev becomes a SupaBalla...but if that happens, so be it...Dev is the man. :tu

MannyIsGod
09-03-2005, 02:17 PM
Also, for all you know Devin could be asking them NOT TO match. He wants to play. That is important for him in the future as well.

jdelar03
09-03-2005, 02:59 PM
I am just glad that the Spurs never straight screw there players and are usually honest with them. I would not be surprised to see Brown back after a year or two. Once he has had some time to grow and gain some good plAying experiance.

juncan
09-03-2005, 03:18 PM
The Jazz offered Brown a contract that calls for $2.5 million this season and a second season for slightly more money, though the second year is at the Jazz's option.

I don't think the Jazz could have team option in the second year, the new CBA says "Offer sheet" can't include any option year.

Offer Sheets must be for at least two seasons (instead of three), not including any option year, unless the player’s prior team gives the player both a Qualifying Offer and an alternative offer of a “maximum” contract, in which case the Offer Sheet must be for three or more years (not including any option year).

http://www.insidehoops.com/nba-collective-bargaining-agreement.shtml

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-03-2005, 05:25 PM
It's called him not getting any other offers. :lol

ur kidding right? Dj has more upside than Brown, Brown still has that injury cloud over his head.. DJ is close with a couple of guys on the Nuggets and he was happy to stay for the minimum, if he had chosen earlier on that he wanted more money, i guarantee that some team would have snapped him up for about the same as what Brown is getting.......

i just guess on a team like the Spurs it would be harder for brown coz he wouldnt get many minutes if he stayed, DJ on the other hand will get 15-20minutes a night in Denver.....

would Brown stay in San Antonio if he knew he would have got more minutes? even if it was for a lesser amount? It sounds like he is pretty high on San Antonio

BadlyDrawnBoy
09-03-2005, 06:00 PM
ur kidding right? Dj has more upside than Brown, Brown still has that injury cloud over his head.. DJ is close with a couple of guys on the Nuggets and he was happy to stay for the minimum, if he had chosen earlier on that he wanted more money, i guarantee that some team would have snapped him up for about the same as what Brown is getting.......

i just guess on a team like the Spurs it would be harder for brown coz he wouldnt get many minutes if he stayed, DJ on the other hand will get 15-20minutes a night in Denver.....

would Brown stay in San Antonio if he knew he would have got more minutes? even if it was for a lesser amount? It sounds like he is pretty high on San Antonio

Dude, if Demarr got a high money offer, he'd have signed it. How old are you that you don't know this is a business. If Demarr was such a better player than Devin, why didn't he get one offer? He didn't, so he signed for the min with the Nuggests. Please don't make this into one of those "he really loved the city, and the team, and the players, and the police, and the dog walkers, so he stayed for millions and millions less" things.

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-03-2005, 06:13 PM
Dude, if Demarr got a high money offer, he'd have signed it. How old are you that you don't know this is a business. If Demarr was such a better player than Devin, why didn't he get one offer? He didn't, so he signed for the min with the Nuggests. Please don't make this into one of those "he really loved the city, and the team, and the players, and the police, and the dog walkers, so he stayed for millions and millions less" things.

of course its a Business , everyone knows that but it doesnt mean everyone has to be greedy as hell (eg Spree).........he is good mates with Kmart, it was alot to do with kmart that got him to Denver. After his bad car accident, dont you think he would just be happy playing again?.....Not everyone is greedy, just look at Finley, he chose a better chance at a ring over money and DJ chose Denver over more money. If you try and tell me that no team would have offered more than th miimum for him, then you need to lay off the
:drunk

exstatic
09-03-2005, 06:57 PM
Not everyone is greedy, just look at Finley, he chose a better chance at a ring over money and DJ chose Denver over more money.

Fin already has the luxury of 51 million reasons why he could choose less, thanks to Cuban. I am realist enough to know that if he were starting from zero dollars, he would have gone to Miami for the full MLE.

It IS all about the Benjamins. If you haven't realized it yet, you will. Players follow the money trail at all times as long as they feel they can get the money.

Sec24Row7
09-03-2005, 11:03 PM
I find people's incessant rants about what a cheap operator Holt is to be pretty stupid considering the money that he and his co-owners HAVE spent has brought 3 championships to this city in 7 years with the possibility of getting more.

Either you are Stupid, or are acting that way.

Neither makes you look good.

marcus
09-04-2005, 12:32 AM
It would be great if we could do a trade of Nesterovic and Barry for Harpring, Giricek and Collins.

We say that if they agree to that deal we let Brown walk.

Moreover a trade could also help Utah and San Antonio as well as we would get like 1,5 millons free in cap space, we would get younger and fill every position of the roster. And then we could sign Dajuan Wagner with the rest of the LLE.

Sense
09-04-2005, 12:41 AM
It would be great if we could do a trade of Nesterovic and Barry for Harpring, Giricek and Collins.

You like to smoke the chronic right?

That's an awful trade.

Marcus Bryant
09-04-2005, 09:20 AM
Finley and NVE are Spurs for one season. Keeping DBrown around makes plenty of sense.

And as long as Holt Cat and friends need to go to the public and ask for a subsidy, you are fucking right that I am going to point out when they are being cheap.

How many NBA ownership groups would have a problem paying a little extra to ensure that a legend like Tim Duncan has the supporting cast he needs now and tomorrow while he's in his prime to win more titles. You're right, I don't give a fuck how much $ he makes.

What's stupid is having Holt Cat's nuts on your chin. Hopefully losing Brown over short term $ won't come back to hurt this team.

ducks
09-04-2005, 09:23 AM
is not finley's deal 2-3 years?

Sec24Row7
09-04-2005, 11:34 AM
Holts nuts on my chin?

Because I dont blame a business owner for wanting to make a profit?

Some of you need to stop paying money on spurs merchandise if you are working hand to mouth and dont realize how the world works.

You are lucky that the spurs are even IN San Antonio.

THAT is their act of charity. They aren't going to lose money just to field a winner. What happens then when timmy retires? When IS their time to make money?

batman2883
09-04-2005, 12:22 PM
I feel bad for Devin, but at least this way he won't be stuck fighting for court time for another season. Still, his comments still hit pretty close to the heart. You can tell he really wants to stay here, but at least he's taking it very graciously. Nobody would've expected less from a guy like Devin.

Still...on a basketball perspective...when you're picking up Micheal Finley for Devin Brown prices, I think that qualifies as what Popovich likes to call a 'no-brainer'.

I really don't see them making the move on Barry, either. Although Brown is a great young player and upcoming prospect, Brent provides much more versatility to the team than Devin could, including veteran leadership, personality and locker-room unity, better three point shooting, better fast-break management, and the ability to play three positions (SG, PG, and maybe SF in a pinch), even if his contract is somewhat of an anchor.

Good luck in Utah, Devin.

ha ha ha dont forget his funky dancing son

wildbill2u
09-04-2005, 12:33 PM
Finley and NVE are Spurs for one season. Keeping DBrown around makes plenty of sense...

How many NBA ownership groups would have a problem paying a little extra to ensure that a legend like Tim Duncan has the supporting cast he needs now and tomorrow while he's in his prime to win more titles. You're right, I don't give a fuck how much $ he makes...

How much is enough 'extra' for a 13th player on the bench with a potential bad back problem? This isn't just about money, however.

Even if Devin was at his best, I'd still want the team to be looking for a trade to improve AT HIS POSITION. While he has some talent and the great attitude you'd demand from a bench player, as a 'Tweener" he is not the long term answer for our SF future and not even the answer to backing up Bowen against taller SF matchups.

If you don't think the supporting cast they've built around Tim is good enough, then how did we win last year--with Wilks, LJIII and Mirrors? This will probably be the deepest, most talented team the Spurs have ever had around TD.

Gino2882
09-04-2005, 01:45 PM
The problem is if Barry is placed on the market, teams have leverage in trade talks for him.

Marcus Bryant
09-04-2005, 03:50 PM
Again, how long are NVE and Finley going to be Spurs? How long is Barry? How long are those aging guys going to be effective?

Anyways, the Spurs have customers and as one I am voicing my opinion, which I am more to free to do. If they don't want criticism then stop asking me to buy season tix and stop coming to the public asking for a handout.

They are milking the arena deal for all it's worth and some of you are milking their nuts.

ducks
09-04-2005, 03:52 PM
how long is brown going to be effective?
he is very injury prone

ducks
09-04-2005, 03:54 PM
Again, how long are NVE and Finley going to be Spurs? How long is Barry? How long are those aging guys going to be effective?

Anyways, the Spurs have customers and as one I am voicing my opinion, which I am more to free to do. If they don't want criticism then stop asking me to buy season tix and stop coming to the public asking for a handout.

They are milking the arena deal for all it's worth and some of you are milking their nuts.

they could care less about you
someone else is going to buy your season ticket
the only season ticket holders they are worried about are the ones that buy the suites

Ghost Writer
09-05-2005, 07:33 PM
Brown was a nice young player to have as your, like, 9th man, but he's not a differenc emaker and probably will never be.

Bruno
09-05-2005, 07:45 PM
Has somebody news ?
Spurs should have say if they match this morning.

JUUOT
09-05-2005, 07:50 PM
bruno,
i thought it was thursday. but seems like they will announce they let it go anyway

milkyway21
09-05-2005, 09:01 PM
i don't know if this has been discussed before, i just checked in the posts today,
I saw Finley's picture(below)during the signing press conference, is he taking the jersey #4? what number Sean Marks is going to take?

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/hplead_050902.jpg

Supergirl
09-06-2005, 06:52 AM
Brown will be happier ultimately in Utah, because he'll get to start or be a 6th man off the bench. San Antonio will always be his home. And I wouldn't be surprised to see him back here at a later date. But he owes it to himself to go - he's worked hard for this.

JUUOT
09-06-2005, 08:20 AM
Jazz awaiting Spurs decision on Brown

By Linda Hamilton
Deseret Morning News
Utah Jazz senior vice president of basketball operations said Monday evening he has not heard yet if the San Antonio Spurs will match his offer sheet for restricted free-agent guard Devin Brown.
Spurs coach Gregg Popovich had told the San Antonio Express-News on Friday that he planned to discuss the matter with general manager R.C. Buford over the weekend and have a decision by Monday morning, but a public announcement was not made Monday.
O'Connor said he doubted the Spurs would do anything prior to the deadline — seven days from when they received a copy of the signed offer sheet — because another team might offer a trade over the next few days that would mean the Spurs would want to hold onto Brown. Or a Spurs player could sustain an injury.
Utah's two-year offer is apparently for $2.5 million this season, a bit more next season, with the second year at the option of the team.
O'Connor said he's not sure exactly when San Antonio received a copy of the offer sheet but guessed it was last Friday morning, [B]meaning the Spurs have until this Friday morning to match it. Official NBA transactions list the date as Friday.
If there are no trades or injuries to complicate things, it seems unlikely San Antonio would be able to keep Brown as it has recently signed guards Nick Van Exel and Michael Finley and already has a 13-man roster, the NBA minimum. Also, the Spurs would likely go over the salary cap threshold, so matching on Brown might cost them nearly double the contract in luxury tax, according to the Express-News.
Brown, 26, was born in Ogden but has lived most of his life in San Antonio. He played 67 regular-season games for San Antonio last season, missing the last 15 with a herniated disk, He played limited minutes during the Spurs’ championship playoff run due to the back injury

Spursdaone
09-06-2005, 08:24 AM
DAMN IT!!! The spurs just screwed the pooch, BIG TIME. If they do trad Brent, how are they going to justify that Michael Finley is a better option then Barry AND Devin Brown. FUCK!

Marcus Bryant
09-06-2005, 08:30 AM
Um, they can trade Barry and then retain Brown, Dusty.

MannyIsGod
09-06-2005, 08:55 AM
:lol