PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Kobe Bryant Discusses What He Would Do Differently With Dwight Howard

spursparker9
02-23-2015, 12:27 AM
In an interview with Bill Simmons and Jalen Rose on Grantland, Simmons asked the five-time champion if he would do anything differently about being Howard’s teammate:

Zero. Absolutely zero. Nothing. I learned how to be a leader by watching Magic, Bird, Michael and those guys. They’re relentless and they’re ruthless. For me to give the keys of this kingdom to the next leader that’s going to lead this Lakers organization for generations to come, has to have that same DNA. I can’t be apologetic about that.

During the 2012-13 NBA season, Kobe and Howard did not see eye-to-eye as a result of their leadership styles. While the Lakers struggled most of the season, the two eventually were able to be on the same page and led the Lakers to a 28-12 record after the All-Star break. Unfortunately, Kobe suffered a ruptured Achilles late in the season and the Lakers were swept in the first round of the playoffs by the San Antonio Spurs.

While the Lakers attempted to re-sign Howard during the off-season, he ultimately signed with the Rockets. Although the Lakers have struggled since his departure, the franchise has a potential top-five pick in this year’s draft that will likely feature Jahlil Okafor from Duke along with ample cap space to pursue big-name free agents.

Silver&Black
02-23-2015, 12:28 AM
Saw that Grantland Interview today on ESPN....

It was just all-around awkward.

spursparker9
02-23-2015, 12:30 AM
lol but there is no way for the current generation of players to be compared to the 80s, 90s

spursparker9
02-23-2015, 12:31 AM
Kirby do realizes that we can't go back to the 80s and 90s right ?

lefty
02-23-2015, 12:32 AM
:lmao

I learned how to be a leader

Thread
02-23-2015, 12:42 AM
Amen.

DMC
02-23-2015, 12:45 AM
Any person who fits Kobe's description wouldn't play on the same team as him.

FkLA
02-23-2015, 12:54 AM
We don't need a thread for every quote this washed up faggot says tbh.

DMC
02-23-2015, 12:58 AM
There are those posters who think every forum is a repository for articles from other sites, and they copy/paste them in new threads all the time, rarely adding anything to the conversation. That shit kills forums and well moderated ones often will have rules against it.

DJR210
02-23-2015, 03:45 AM

:lol

Stalin
02-23-2015, 09:41 AM

Co sign

gnsf0946
02-23-2015, 10:32 AM
Kobe's right, either grow a pair or get out. Howard doesn't have it in him to lead a big franchise that the Lakers are so he took the easy road and now plays 2nd fiddle to a 25 year old.

Venti Quattro
02-23-2015, 10:54 AM
Kobe's right, either grow a pair or get out. Howard doesn't have it in him to lead a big franchise that the Lakers are so he took the easy road and now plays 2nd fiddle to a 25 year old.

The Lakers suck right now but he was never wrong all this time

unleashbaynes
02-23-2015, 11:12 AM

Now he plays with someone who passes him the ball.....Howard was the only bright spot for the Cockets last year in the POs.

Thread
02-23-2015, 11:15 AM

I don't recall you down here until after you won your 5th for the second time.

You've nary room.

gnsf0946
02-23-2015, 11:25 AM
I don't recall you down here until after you won your 5th for the second time.

You've nary room.

How would you know? You were nowhere to be seen when we won 5th.

Thread
02-23-2015, 11:34 AM
How would you know? You were nowhere to be seen when we won 5th.

Horseshit. I was here both times.

You're the one who stayed safe upstairs until the coast was cleared for the 2nd time. Then you come slinkin' down here wantin' to sit with men & DMC. I spit on you.

JamStone
02-23-2015, 12:00 PM
Kobe is a certified sociopath and egomaniac. What would you expect him to say? You could ask him if he would change anything from the 2004 or 2008 NBA Finals, and I highly doubt he'd say he would have changed how he played. He would only say he'd change the actual outcome of those series. Kobe lives in his own world and by that world's own set of rules of reality.

But as far as Dwight goes, you can say he has someone who passes him the ball now, but he's getting virtually the same amount of touches and shot attempts (particularly last season) as he did his one season with the Lakers. Kobe might be a delusional sociopath, but Dwight didn't put himself in a better situation joining the Rockets as far as him "being the man" or getting more touches. He's just with a younger version of Kobe with less pressure on Dwight when he fucks shit up.

Mori Chu
02-23-2015, 12:39 PM
Sour grapes. "I didn't want Howard here, anyway." Yeah, right. You keep telling yourself that.

DAF86
02-23-2015, 12:49 PM
Kobe is a certified sociopath and egomaniac. What would you expect him to say? You could ask him if he would change anything from the 2004 or 2008 NBA Finals, and I highly doubt he'd say he would have changed how he played. He would only say he'd change the actual outcome of those series. Kobe lives in his own world and by that world's own set of rules of reality.

But as far as Dwight goes, you can say he has someone who passes him the ball now, but he's getting virtually the same amount of touches and shot attempts (particularly last season) as he did his one season with the Lakers. Kobe might be a delusional sociopath, but Dwight didn't put himself in a better situation joining the Rockets as far as him "being the man" or getting more touches. He's just with a younger version of Kobe with less pressure on Dwight when he fucks shit up.

Nah, Harden isn't quite the ball hog that Kobe is and the main difference is off court: James isn't a crazy egomaniac douche.

Thread
02-23-2015, 12:53 PM
James isn't a crazy egomaniac douche.

And that's why he has only the 1 + the 1 Amy granted on him. tee, hee.

DAF86
02-23-2015, 12:56 PM
And that's why he has only the 1 + the 1 Amy granted on him. tee, hee.

James Harden, A.K.A Manu 0.2

djohn2oo8
02-23-2015, 01:09 PM
Btw, interesting this is...

Originally Posted by cyberx http://www.clutchfans.net/bbs/images_cfans/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=9575636#post9575636)

Waiting on Dwight before any decisions are made.

Rockets are trying discussing using him as a defensive anchor only.

If/when he comes back - look for him to have more of an Asik role. (or Rodman)

Thread
02-23-2015, 01:13 PM
^Some kind of (structural event) has taken place that they're holding back on.

djohn2oo8
02-23-2015, 01:14 PM

Dwight gets open in the post a lot. Besides Harden, no one else can make entry passes. Beverley can't even make a bounce pass.

Koolaid_Man
02-23-2015, 05:53 PM
^Some kind of (structural event) has taken place that they're holding back on.

:lol too fucking bad for that gimp...I don't wish injury on any man....but hey it happened. :lmao

Koolaid_Man
02-23-2015, 05:54 PM
Dwight gets open in the post a lot. Besides Harden, no one else can make entry passes. Beverley can't even make a bounce pass.

But how open does he get in the the locker room? :lmao

RsxPiimp
02-23-2015, 06:57 PM
Dwert :lol

illmatic
02-23-2015, 07:01 PM
Horseshit. I was here both times.

You're the one who stayed safe upstairs until the coast was cleared for the 2nd time. Then you come slinkin' down here wantin' to sit with men & DMC. I spit on you.

Cubby was here shinin' shoes with the rest of us after you won your 5th for the second time, I can vouch for the old man.

Findog
02-23-2015, 07:44 PM
Dwight's a clown and not serious about winning. An immensely gifted and talented athlete, but a clown nonetheless. Shaq had a clown side, but he was so dominant at his height that he didn't have to train like Kobe did, and he put in enough work for the Lakers to threepeat.

UZER
02-23-2015, 09:19 PM
Dwight's a clown and not serious about winning. An immensely gifted and talented athlete, but a clown nonetheless. Shaq had a clown side, but he was so dominant at his height that he didn't have to train like Kobe did, and he put in enough work for the Lakers to threepeat.

Which revisionist act like Kobe won on his own.

Thread
02-23-2015, 10:13 PM
Cubby was here shinin' shoes with the rest of us after you won your 5th for the second time, I can vouch for the old man.

"Not well."

Venti Quattro
02-24-2015, 12:09 AM
To be fair, Kobe is super articulate and intelligent for a black guy. He doesn't sound like he would need CPR because of choking on his own words

Stalin
02-24-2015, 12:24 AM
To be fair, Kobe is super articulate and intelligent for a black guy. He doesn't sound like he would need CPR because of choking on his own words

Must be det American High School education, that makes him articulate so well.

J_Paco
02-24-2015, 12:27 AM

He also had the benefit of having 3 inches of height and 100 pound of mass over Dwight. He was also far more gifted offensively than Dwight could ever dream of being.

Venti Quattro
02-24-2015, 12:30 AM
Must be det American High School education, that makes him articulate so well.

He is a man who takes education seriously, whether it's in school or the hardwood... In the end, you really can't hate on him despite his abrasive personality. He takes education seriously. That's something a lot of the kids now take for granted. They'd rather be stuck around tweeting about what's happening to One Direction, writing on Facebook about how to respect someone ratchet like Miley Cyrus or taking selfie photos with their bikinis and Starbucks coffee cups.

Stalin
02-24-2015, 12:39 AM
He is a man who takes education seriously, whether it's in school or the hardwood... In the end, you really can't hate on him despite his abrasive personality. He takes education seriously. That's something a lot of the kids now take for granted. They'd rather be stuck around tweeting about what's happening to One Direction, writing on Facebook about how to respect someone ratchet like Miley Cyrus or taking selfie photos with their bikinis and Starbucks coffee cups.

Solid effort. :tu

Killakobe81
02-24-2015, 12:05 PM
Poor Dwight ... I dont blame him for leaving dealing with Kobe is tough.
But tbs, those that make excuses for him I just dont get. Even plenty of Rox fans are starting to turn on him just like the Magic, and Laker fans before that. I have nothing against the Rox I am also a Harden apologist (add him to Kobe, Westbrook, Pre-injury Rose, Post Finals MVP Tony Parker). But watching him and McHale fails fail is one of the few joys out of a miserable season. So glad we dodged that bullet. Harden in addition to having a great stat season, has carried the team in a way that Dwight (even in his prime when he was a beast) would struggle to do. How they have maintained in a brutal West has been impressive and Harden is the main reason why. He actually has a post game in addition to the handle. Both get to the line but Harden actually makes his ...

Findog
02-24-2015, 04:01 PM
He also had the benefit of having 3 inches of height and 100 pound of mass over Dwight. He was also far more gifted offensively than Dwight could ever dream of being.

Dwight is of course not as good as Shaq circa 2000, but he's really fucking good in his own right. I just think he's soft, a clown, and not enough of a leader. For Houston to win a title with him and Harden, I think they have to add another star instead of rounding out the rest of the roster with good unselfish role players like the 2014 Spurs.

Findog
02-24-2015, 04:03 PM
Poor Dwight ... I dont blame him for leaving dealing with Kobe is tough.
But tbs, those that make excuses for him I just dont get. Even plenty of Rox fans are starting to turn on him just like the Magic, and Laker fans before that. I have nothing against the Rox I am also a Harden apologist (add him to Kobe, Westbrook, Pre-injury Rose, Post Finals MVP Tony Parker). But watching him and McHale fails fail is one of the few joys out of a miserable season. So glad we dodged that bullet. Harden in addition to having a great stat season, has carried the team in a way that Dwight (even in his prime when he was a beast) would struggle to do. How they have maintained in a brutal West has been impressive and Harden is the main reason why. He actually has a post game in addition to the handle. Both get to the line but Harden actually makes his ...

I don't like Harden and his game is not fun to watch (flail around like a pussy drawing calls), but I'll be the first to concede that it's brutally effective and he deserves to be in the MVP conversation. His team is third in the West and OKC is eighth when Dwight has missed about as much time as Durant.

Franklin
02-24-2015, 10:09 PM
OKC played considerable time without Westbrook as well.

On the other hand, it probably means that DH is not the best fit for this Lockets team. The Lockets aren't much weakened without DH, they play faster and more fluidly with beard nigga being their main guy, but when DH plays their tempo is reduced by at least 50% and their hustle offence is neutralized. DH may give them dominance in the paint but the benefit is often canceled off by the loss of speed imho. DH is like a double edged sword to the lockets and hence he doesn't improve them a lot as a whole. Swap him for DeAndrew Jordan and the Lockets would be a title challenger immediately.