PDA

View Full Version : Amateur: Pacquiao catches feelings over criticism of his basketball skills

Clipper Nation
02-24-2015, 02:26 PM
Philippine basketball authorities have sacked and fined an American import for ridiculing national boxing hero Manny Pacquiao’s quest to become a professional basketballer.

Former NBA player Daniel Orton hit the headlines last week after playing against Pacquiao in the local pro-league, a game in which the 1.69-metre (5 foot-6 inch) boxing champion scored a solitary point. :rollin

"Professional boxer, yeah, okay… professional basketball player, no. It’s a joke," said Orton, 24, who signed with the Purefoods Hotshots team just this month.

But the team’s top administrator, Rene Pardo, was quoted in local media as saying Orton had been let go for insulting Pacquiao.

"Everyone is angry at him… it is like he went to the United States and insulted the name of Martin Luther King," the ABS-CBN news website quoted Pardo as saying.

http://globalbasketball.com/international-basketball/philippine-team-sacks-us-import-pacquiao-insult/?fb_action_ids=10152664555492060&fb_action_types=news.publishes&fb_ref=pub-video

:lmao Pacquiomos, get in here and :downspin: this shit immediately! 100%duncan (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8300) RsxPiimp (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=12644) Thebesteva (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=42939) spurraider21 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=31905)

RsxPiimp
02-24-2015, 02:35 PM
Honestly, that's fucking pathetic. I can't believe they sacked Horton for something this petty :lol

spurraider21
02-24-2015, 02:49 PM
what am i supposed to spin. i'm not a pacman fan

hater
02-24-2015, 03:32 PM
:lmao smh no comment

DMC
02-24-2015, 04:01 PM
what am i supposed to spin. i'm not a pacman fan
No, but someone made a statement so the 1st Law of Philo dictates that you disagree passive aggressively, without offering a counterpoint.

bulakenyo
02-24-2015, 08:24 PM
He was let go because it's very bad PR for the league and that particular team, Purefoods.

The Philippine basketball Association has been in existance since 1975, and was extremely popular for more than 2 decades, when it was so physical and badass. But it dipped pretty bad in some spots, especially late 90s to mid 2000s.

It has gotten a resurgence in popularity the past few years, so they are taking care of how the public sees them.

Plus the teams don't work like representing cities, NBA style.

They are commercial teams representing products. Liquor, beer companies, processed meats, cars, Gasoline companies, etc.

So fans can change loyalties quick if you piss them off bad enough. Not like the NBA where you'll root for your home city for life.

It's a good move by the team manager. He insulted the league in public, broadcasted through the press. Not smart for the import.

Clipper Nation
02-24-2015, 09:19 PM
Manny spent years ducking Floyd, ducked his taxes, and is now ducking criticism of his basketball career... is there anything this faggot won't duck? :lol

Strange Love
02-24-2015, 09:23 PM
CN has become oddly fucking delusional. :lol

100%duncan
02-24-2015, 10:06 PM
What? I was against Pacquiao entering the PBA because he made it even more of a joke... I've said this in a thread awhile ago where I stated I liked Pacman as a boxer but not as a person tbh.

100%duncan
02-24-2015, 10:09 PM
I aint got nothing to spin

I'm not a fan of Manny the person. IIRC, he got addicted to coccaine back in ~2004-2005. Sucks as a politician. Entered the professional basketball league of our country as a player and coach, disrespecting the sport and players tbh. I could say a lot of things. But who really cares? It's boxing we should focus on.

siraulo23
02-24-2015, 10:18 PM
Orton speaks the truth

It is a joke

Thebesteva
02-24-2015, 10:42 PM
He still has as many rings as the Clippers franchise tbh

bulakenyo
02-24-2015, 10:59 PM
Orton speaks the truth

It is a joke

It is true, but he's not thinking smart.

You say that to your teammates and all of them will agree with you.

the public knows it's true also.

But say that in the press and nobody on your team will defend you. Not even if you are a local player saying those things.

Pac was able to get into the league first as a figurehead coach, for a first year franchise looking for exposure and novelty for the fans to support the team. Allowing him to play as a playing coach was an after thought and also for novelty.

ezau
02-24-2015, 11:48 PM
PBA is as sensitive as the Flips who run it.

Clipper Nation
02-24-2015, 11:50 PM
He still has as many rings as the Clippers franchise tbh

He has 13 rings?

Venti Quattro
02-24-2015, 11:53 PM
Pacquiao playing pro ball is a joke, but Mayweather taking 6 years to understand a boxing contract is more pathetic.

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

It's true, he didn't duck Pacquiao or anyone. He just didn't know how to read so it took him six years to understand the terms of fight against Pac.

:lol Mayweather
:lol illiterate
:lol un-injured version of Derrick Rose

TXstbobcat
02-24-2015, 11:56 PM
Pacquiao playing pro ball is a joke, but Mayweather taking 6 years to understand a boxing contract is more pathetic.

It's true, he didn't duck Pacquiao or anyone. He just didn't know how to read so it took him six years to understand the terms of fight against Pac.

They should have written the contract for him as a children's pop up book with mostly pictures.

Malik Hairston
02-24-2015, 11:57 PM
:lol why does a 5-foot-5 Filipino boxer care so much about the perception of his basketball skills? Damn..

Clipper Nation
02-25-2015, 12:01 AM

Pacquiao couldn't even read his tax forms or account statement :lol

:lol Broke
:lol Tax cheat
:lol Begging Floyd for a handout after ducking him for the past six years
:lol Washed-up steroid abuser
:lol Pacquiao
:lol Pacquiomos

Venti Quattro
02-25-2015, 12:02 AM
But I read that while Pac is the "playing coach" in his pro ball team, it's only a title, sort of just a glorified cheerleader, and someone else calls the shots from the sidelines.

:lmao Pacroid

Venti Quattro
02-25-2015, 12:06 AM
Pacquiao couldn't even read his tax forms or account statement :lol

That tax evasion charge is a thing of the past now, and I'm sure they can find a concession. These tax authorities just want a larger cut from Pac's winnings.

Does Floyd know how to read now? Of course not :lmao :lmao :lmao

unforeseen
02-25-2015, 12:49 AM
That tax evasion charge is a thing of the past now, and I'm sure they can find a concession. These tax authorities just want a larger cut from Pac's winnings.

Does Floyd know how to read now? Of course not :lmao :lmao :lmao

Illiteracy in America is no joke. As many as 23% of the adult population is illiterate.

http://http://washingtoncountyliteracycouncil.org

Venti Quattro
02-25-2015, 12:55 AM
Illiteracy in America is no joke. As many as 23% of the adult population is illiterate.

http://http://washingtoncountyliteracycouncil.org

If I was Pacquiao who was being hounded with drug accusations by Mayweather's camp, I'd fire back with a suggestion of a reading test for the both of us

Koolaid_Man
02-25-2015, 01:19 AM
If I was Pacquiao who was being hounded with drug accusations by Mayweather's camp, I'd fire back with a suggestion of a reading test for the both of us

:lol How about this for good reading:

Floyd 125 million
Manny 78 million

Looks like Floyd can read to me.

Malik Hairston
02-25-2015, 01:26 AM

:lol Pacquiao isn't going to say anything..he was strong-armed into this fight, he is desperate for the money, tbh..

I wouldn't even be surprised if Floyd has already planned a fixed fight, too..

RsxPiimp
02-25-2015, 08:57 AM

Pacquiao hounded back, hence the lawsuit defamation. Pac wanted to go balls deep investigating Mayweathers own PED use, so Mayweather decided to settle out of court

:lmao

RsxPiimp
02-25-2015, 08:58 AM
That said :lol

http://cdn.sneakerreport.com/assets/2014/10/manny-pacquiao-2-20141019_FDE7DC8DA1C44CD39C909901C9BF3262-copy.jpg

unleashbaynes
02-25-2015, 10:18 AM
Both of these guys are little faggots. This is why nobody gives a fuck about "boxing" now.

Koolaid_Man
02-25-2015, 10:21 AM
That said :lol

http://cdn.sneakerreport.com/assets/2014/10/manny-pacquiao-2-20141019_FDE7DC8DA1C44CD39C909901C9BF3262-copy.jpg

why are you laughing at a dude you're the same height as?

unleashbaynes
02-25-2015, 10:21 AM
:lol How about this for good reading:

Floyd 125 million
Manny 78 million

Looks like Floyd can read to me.

An example of why boxing is a shit show

I don't watch and have no idea what sort of accolades make a great fighter. I know this dude Floyd hasn't lost but that's about it.

This guy is apparently a fan and he doesn't list how many fights or awards Floyd has won as a metric of success, he just compares their career earnings.

What the fuck other sport would this be acceptable in?

Koolaid_Man
02-25-2015, 10:22 AM
An example of why boxing is a shit show

I don't watch and have no idea what sort of accolades make a great fighter. I know this dude Floyd hasm't lost but that's about it.

This guys is apparently a fan and he doesn't list how many fights or awards Floyd has won as a metric of success, he jist compares their career earnings.

What the fuck other sport would this be acceptable in?

that's what they're gonna make for this fight respectively.

unleashbaynes
02-25-2015, 10:25 AM
that's what they're gonna make for this fight respectively.

Ok that makes more sense then. And holy shit that's a lot of money. I wonder how much it is per brain cell ruined.

Koolaid_Man
02-25-2015, 10:27 AM
Ok that makes more sense then. And holy shit that's a lot of money. I wonder how much it is per brain cell ruined.

Manny needed the money bad as he's dam near broke and owes all sorts of taxes....Manny was desperate for this pay day...but he'll be broke again in a few years....it's a shame Manny is beloved as much as he is and is stupid as fuck..he's basically the Mike Tyson of this new generation....

Floyd might can't read but making cash like that he doesn't need to.....to be quite honest...

JamStone
02-25-2015, 10:30 AM
Nothing to really spin about the story. Orton criticized a Filipino icon and then was waived by his team. As bulakenyo already stated, PBA teams are sponsored by companies of consumer products. It was a PR move. It's a financial bottomline decision. A non-Filipino player criticizing who most Filipino citizens consider a national hero, and you know what was going to happen. What's there to spin about the story? Even if Pacquiao was somehow involved in getting it done, it just shows you the type of juice he has in the Philippines. But more likely, Orton's former team didn't want the bad press.

But just think about it though. Manny is living a pretty charmed life...

-He's short and can't ball. He gets drafted in his late 30s and plays professional basketball.

-He's a bad singer. He gets multiple record deals.

-He's a dark Filipino (in the Philippines if you want to be in films and TV you need to be light skinned). He gets lead acting roles.

-He gets caught for tax evasion. He gets elected to Congress.

-He goes broke. Arum pays his debts and he still gets millions for boxing matches.

-He cheats on his wife. She lets him keep knocking her up.

Any of us should be so lucky.

RsxPiimp
02-25-2015, 10:35 AM
why are you laughing at a dude you're the same height as?

Kool, Ill knock yo ass down :ihit

Jenks
02-25-2015, 11:00 AM
lol Philippines

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/05/adam-carolla-angers-phili_n_525412.html

"I gotta tell you, if that was a white fighter and probably even a black fighter, if the black fighter was from Atlanta or somewhere like that, someone would go, 'What the f**k are you talking about? Give your drop of blood. That's not gonna make a difference," Carolla continued."But because he's from the Philippines and because he's prayin' to chicken bones and stuff like that, everyone's kinda like, 'Well you gotta respect him for his belief system.' No you don't. He's a fuckin' idiot."

Killakobe81
02-25-2015, 12:34 PM
Nothing to really spin about the story. Orton criticized a Filipino icon and then was waived by his team. As bulakenyo already stated, PBA teams are sponsored by companies of consumer products. It was a PR move. It's a financial bottomline decision. A non-Filipino player criticizing who most Filipino citizens consider a national hero, and you know what was going to happen. What's there to spin about the story? Even if Pacquiao was somehow involved in getting it done, it just shows you the type of juice he has in the Philippines. But more likely, Orton's former team didn't want the bad press.

But just think about it though. Manny is living a pretty charmed life...

-He's short and can't ball. He gets drafted in his late 30s and plays professional basketball.

-He's a bad singer. He gets multiple record deals.

-He's a dark Filipino (in the Philippines if you want to be in films and TV you need to be light skinned). He gets lead acting roles.

-He gets caught for tax evasion. He gets elected to Congress.

-He goes broke. Arum pays his debts and he still gets millions for boxing matches.

-He cheats on his wife. She lets him keep knocking her up.

Any of us should be so lucky.

Was surprised at how the light skin Flips are favored in their culture. Thought that was a black thing but Flips and even Latinos are caught up in the same bullshit.

Koolaid_Man
02-25-2015, 12:44 PM
Was surprised at how the light skin Flips are favored in their culture. Thought that was a black thing but Flips and even Latinos are caught up in the same bullshit.

us niggas just can't catch a break unless we're already in bed fucking....by then it's too late for the jealous ass white man to do anything to us...so that's why I'm personally committed to slaying that white pussy...these fuckers are gonna pay one way or the other....and what better way to make them pay by eating nigga cum'ed out pussy :lol

JamStone
02-25-2015, 01:41 PM

Native Filipino culture is different from the Filipino-American culture, particularly in the last couple decades, when it comes to something like that. In the film and TV industries in the Philippines, the lighter the skin, the better chance to become an actor/actress/host/TV personality. But that's been since whenever the beginning of the film industry started over there and has pretty much lasted.

In the United States, Filipinos don't necessarily feel that way. And since the early to mid 90s, a lot of Filipino-American kids growing up in the hip hop culture, that's not really a thing at all, at least from my experience. I think Filipinos have identified way more with black culture in America, and so being a dark skin Filipino-American isn't really anything negative.

But that also doesn't really have anything to do with Filipinos in Hollywood. Many of the more famous Filipino-American celebrities are generally mixed with some kind of Caucasian ancestry as well, like Phoebe Cates, Vanessa Hudgens, Rob Schneider, Nia Peeples, Michael Copon, Nicole Scherzinger, Vanessa Minnillo, so you could say the same applies. Only somewhat pure Filipino-Americans that I can think of that have gotten kind of famous are Ernie Reyes, Jr., Dante Basco, and Tia Carrerra. And Dante and Tia aren't dark skin Filiipinos. Ernie Reyes ehh maybe.