PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts from Utah Game

Cloud786
02-24-2015, 05:42 PM
http://bballbreakdown.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/San-Antonio-Spurs-Utah-Jazz-2012-Playoffs.jpg
Wow, that was pretty bad. I just watched the game and turned it off with 6 minutes left in the fourth. Awful performance, and this has happened many times this year, but when I'm watching a shitty team play the Spurs, they start to look like contending number 1 seeds that we're no match for. In years past, that's the feeling the other team is supposed to go through, but this year, something's changed...

Enrique Porker
http://i.cdn.turner.com/drp/nba/spurs/sites/default/files/styles/main_gallery_photo__480_tall/public/junctionrb_7_of_24.jpg?itok=CcpwOawu
It seems that hundreds of Parker threads are surfacing everyday on this website, and honestly, not watching the last couple of games, I thought, "this is an overreaction of epic proportions." I mean, we're talking about someone the media was calling probably the best point guard in the game, if you take into account everything a point guard is supposed to do (so excluding Westbrook and Rose). When I hear the name Tony Parker, I used to think 2007 FMVP, Game 1 2013 NBA Finals, and his nasty step back 3 on LeBron that should've clinched the 2013 Finals (I'm not one of those oh he was 6/23 that's horrible blah blah, I only ask the question, did our best player put us in position to win, and imo, he did). But now, I think of a slow, fat, shell of his former self. He's so bad he's a net negative, and I don't even think the Great Net Negative himself (Josh Smith) could do what Parker is doing to us even if he tried. That PtR thread said we go from with him - Sacromento Kings to without him - Golden State Warriors. :wow. Again, :wow. That kind of dropoff, consistent regression (aside from his increase from 3 point range), I have no words.

As far his game versus Utah, I've finally (after 56 games), think he needs to be benched. He's not attacking as much as he was before, and when he does, he gets his shit stuffed or turns it over. Instead of attacking, he's settling for what's supposed to be his bread and butter, long range 2's, but he's not making near as many as he did in years past. Even if you're a box score, analytics/advanced statistics, or just an eye test kind of person, there is absolutely fucking nothing you can say to defend this man. We are literally better off playing 4 on 5, and that is why I think CoJo should start.

Danny Green
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/KHUflfqCMVI/0.jpg
To those who may not know, I think Danny Green is a better on-ball defender than Kawhi. I think he cheats way less, his lateral movement, fouling wherewithal, hand and positioning fundamentals are just better. But it appears to me that Pop keeps putting him on a shooter that Green has to chase around all game, and Green isn't as good as Kawhi going through screens, help defending, and knowing when to rotate. We all know how poorly he closes out on shooters. So for this, I'm going to give Green a pass for this game for his defense, but on offense, I think we have a 2-guard version of Matt Bonner. He isn't curling around screens properly, he holds the ball for too long when he gets it, he doesn't dribble or make the defense move, and he opts to pass it to the closest player to him, and when he doesn't do that, he turns it over. Also, I don't know if this is just me, but he verbally flops more than anybody in the league (ok maybe not as much as Boozer but still).

Kawhi Leonard
https://fbexternal-a.akamaihd.net/safe_image.php?d=AQDMQ6bEcX3TB7wE&w=470&h=246&url=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-xpa1%2Fv%2Ft1.0-9%2F10407208_10152681166976981_8025154356503359956 _n.jpg%3Foh%3Dce58eb15cd74ef2d323716cef67d5d65%26o e%3D558C5102%26__gda__%3D1435552276_7ac0b005130231 0df6ae2d56e24fa32a&cfs=1&upscale=1&sx=0&sy=0&sw=720&sh=377
Before the year started, I thought that this was going to be the perfect year to develop him. We were going to effortlessly win 50 games yet again, walk through the regular season like we did in 2011-2014, and against bottom of the barrel teams, we could put him on the floor without any of the Big 3 and let him create for himself, mainly from the post. After 50 games, I am so tired of seeing Kawhiso's. I'm starting to think last year's post efficiency stat of his was a fluke, and I honestly cringe just as much when this happens as I do when Parker shoots the ball. He hasn't shown me his court vision out of the baseline post, he's redundant as hell with his turnaround fade, and I'm sad to see less of his front-facing hook that was his most valuable offensive move in the 2013 NBA Finals, mainly off of offensive boards. For this reason, we can't get away with putting Kawhi out there without one of the Big 3 or Boris. Maybe he needs a change of pace, I'd definitely like to see more high screen and rolls from him to see his triple threat capabilities, but for now, let's try to get him the ball less. As far as his defense goes, I don't have anything to say. His motor itself takes care of that.

Tim Duncan
http://www.sltrib.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=161Bf $rmivn7OaLKPnCNYc$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYuxMeiajcmzuHw iXJxB3sgKWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg
He is still the best player on the team. His defense, imo, is satisfactory as long as he doesn't constantly get burned by the ball handler in pick and roll situations. On offense, however, I'm a little frustrated by his jump shot. You would think that at his age, he would start to settle for more jump shots in order to avoid banging in the paint more (a la Tony Parker), but even after his dropoff, he still has that annoying flat shot that I have no confidence in. If he spreads the floor adequately, then I won't mind having him out with Splitter at all. But if we have to start Baynes just to spread the floor a little, and Duncan isn't the one taking the shooting initiative, that won't bode well for us. And last, he needs to stop going with the right turning right. I've had enough of Stephen Adams and Rudy Gobert blocking that shot without even having to jump. Use that savvy.

Aron Baynes
http://i.cdn.turner.com/drp/nba/spurs/sites/default/files/styles/stream/public/junctionrb_1_of_24.jpg?itok=J-iIgelH
As I said earlier, thankfully, he's making himself into a decent shooter from about elbow distance. I love his reverse lay ups. I'd like to see him protect the restricted area and paint while fouling less, I don't know if that's a verticality issue or if the refs just don't respect him or react to small guards getting smashed by his rugby built chest, but even with his fatigue issues, I'd like to see him get more of Duncan's playing time to improve not only that, but his ability to read the defense off high screen and rolls. The X's and O's say pass to the corner 3 when the help comes, but I'd like to see him get a little more creative when the triple threat situation presents himself, because right now Boris 2.0 is the only player that scares defenses in those scenarios because of his versatility.

Patty Mills
http://i.cdn.turner.com/drp/nba/spurs/sites/default/files/styles/stream/public/junctionrb_1_of_24.jpg?itok=J-iIgelH
He seems way less aggressive this year. Last year, Pat Stacks/Thrills Mills could put up 20 on any night, but he seems timid and his percentage has decreased. He's been embarrassed a few times on D this year (Harden proposal, running into the Favors), so hopefully if the match-up is bad, Pop will go to CoJo instead (I don't care about the offensive dropoff, this team needs defense).

Manu Ginobili
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/X53tbprswuMas-AkkHUCqD6DJSI=/0x211:2285x1496/1050x591/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/45434908/usa-today-8261473.0.jpg
They say he's 37, but he looks like he's 73 tbh. He's playing way more floor general than scorer, and I don't know if this is because he's tired, or he gets less confident every time he misses, but imo he needs to attack more. The entire team is playing uninterested basketball, and when I watch other NBA teams, the quick fix to that is having their best player go off. They start to galvanize around that guy and match his intensity. All this beautiful game bullshit needs to go out the window temporarily, and if Manu has it in him, I'd like to see Emmanuel Ginobili, the same fearless, ultimate competitor that would destroy the Suns and Lakers no matter what it took. Instead, his defacto point guard role is reducing him to a second Tony Parker on the team, and the offense seems really repetitious when he's manning it.

Marco Bellinelli
http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/003/190/210/hi-res-23aae88cfb12137c40f5ce5a57279fd9_crop_exact.jpg?w= 1500&h=1500&q=85
I always laugh at how when we signed him, this turned into a Raven vs SpursTalk battle. Bellinelli in his first year would spell Manu in terrific ways, he would be productive, his offense would outbalance his defense, and he would be a complimentary substitute. I even bought one of those SuperSub Bros shirts because they put on a show whenever they played together. The playoffs opened our eyes to not only how useless Tony Parker is, but how utterly disgusting it is to have Bellinelli on the floor in a Spurs uniform. Don't give me his 3 in game 3, he's the one who caused the deficit, because that's what he does best. Providing runs for the other team. Versus Utah, I saw the same kind of horrible defense, and on offense, he's doing what I want Green to do, but he's making less shots and his court vision is too limited for his driving game. The only times I want him to play are when there is an offensive black hole on the other team, like Andre Roberson or someone like that. Someone that guarding means to just stand next to them. If that's the case, then I'm fine. If not, more minutes at the SF position for Green please.

Boris Diaw
https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/lhba6cjJkXLnrGjyhwTXwgEslyk=/0x0:3329x2219/730x487/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/45432736/usa-today-8261539.0.jpg
On the poll for which regression hurt the most, Boris Diaw was my vote. There's a reason why he was being considered a serious candidate for FMVP last year, and that's because out of the pick and roll, he's one of the most versatile triple threat players there are in league. I didn't expect Boris 2.0 to show up on the daily, but at least Boris 1.5, someone that could give us 5-5-5ish games. But this year, every aspect of his game has been trash. I feel like I'm watching that fat turd that was bounced from the Charlotte Bobcats for giving up on his team. I don't care about his weight, his personality for contract year productions, any of that nonsense. I just want Boris 2.0 to show up when we need him, against contenders and when the team is playing lackadaisical ball. Pop said that without TP being TP, we aren't going anywhere. Well, I disagree. Without Bobo being Bobo, we aren't going anywhere.

As far as the Utah game goes, I'm happy that he made a majority of his threes. Keep shooting them and hopefully 2.0 will be back soon.

Tiago Splitter
http://assets1.sportsnet.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/07795382-640x360.jpg
I wish the Spurs weren't so secretive with his injury. I'm assuming it's serious, because the Splitter I remember is the guy that carried us defensively against Dirk and LMA in back to back playoff rounds last year. The guy that when paired with Duncan would offset his poor mobility in the pick and roll game. This year, Splitter is the epitome of vagina. He's so soft, its unbelievable how he's in the league. He gets pushed around so easily and can't offer a lick of paint protection. If it were up to me, if Duncan doesn't have a decent jumper by playoff time, I'd keep Splitter coming off the bench so that at least Manu can make him at all valuable on his time on the floor.

Cory Joseph
https://fbexternal-a.akamaihd.net/safe_image.php?d=AQBWFyHH1CSWFgwu&w=470&h=246&url=https%3A%2F%2Fscontent-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net%2Fhphotos-xpf1%2Ft31.0-8%2Fs720x720%2F10991612_10152679773266981_46317122 56633783412_o.jpg&cfs=1&upscale=1&sx=16&sy=0&sw=688&sh=360
I can't believe I'm saying this, but just him and Duncan all year have been the only two guys that have shown me what playing with heart is. This guy has minimal talent, but he's making the best of his playing time when he's on the floor. His driving game seems sporadic, but when he does drive, he does it fearlessly and finishes most of the time. His court vision has improved significantly, and his defense is still great. I agree with the rest of you that when he plays with Parker or Manu, then he defers to them a lot and we don't get to see the same CoJo that dunked on Ibaka. But if you place him in the starting lineup, and let him and Duncan run the system with Kawhi and Green spread out and Baynes roaming, I think we can be much more productive than we are now with Parker. He does need to make shots more consistently, but even if he isn't, he's providing us with more possessions off of opponent misses than any other point guards are (better than Mills or Bellinelli where offense has to counter defense). If you insert 2014 Splitter back into the lineup, then you have yourself one hell of a defensive line-up with CoJo, Wing Stop, and Splitter.

http://saltcityhoops.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/i-71.jpg
In the end, if this was TL;DR for you, then my final point is that, in my opinion, the way to fix these complacent players is to have ONE game where one guy goes bonkers. If you're watching any of the current hot teams now, aside from Atlanta who doesn't seem to have problems playing the beautiful game, you'll notice that there's going to be one or two players that have insane numbers (or highlight plays) that the rest of the team just follows in pursuit effort-wise with that player. Like OKC right now with Westbrook, everyone is feeding off his energy. If Manu can have a vintage performance, like a forty point game, I feel that we can start playing how we usually play coming off the ASB. You can argue that Timmy just had one versus the Clippers, but it was a game that you realized Timmy had 30 and 11 after the game was over. I'm talking about a game where in the middle of the second or third, you're like "wow, he's going HAM." I'm sorry if I'm coming off as a player-hater, just know that it's tough-love criticism from a lifelong fan who's simply traumatized by the play of one of the greatest sport organizations ever, if not the greatest.

Malik Hairston
02-24-2015, 05:50 PM
Nice thoughts, tbh, thanks..

Leetonidas
02-24-2015, 06:02 PM
Very well thought out, I agree with just about everything you said. Thanks for the write up, good read :tu

ginobilized
02-24-2015, 06:16 PM
Nice work!

My gut tells me that there are some weird vibes going on with the team. Hope they get it straightened out. Rebuilding is not going to happen this year, so it's kind of a last hurrah.
There is not 1 elite scorer on this team, that is what separates us from the contenders, sadly.

EVAY
02-24-2015, 06:18 PM
Excellent thoughts. Thank you for the time it took and the analysis you put into it.

The only minor (and I emphasize minor) disagreement I have is with Manu's role. I think you are 1000% right that he is playing more of a floor general role right now, but I actually think that is his best role right now. His shot is so bad and his free throw shooting so erratic that I think he is best at running the offense. He is still the best pg we have, imo, and the trick is to get people to take make the shots he is getting them. The fact that no one on the team is able to shoot the ball is a huge part of the problem.

I'd love to read your thoughts on the coaches.

Raven
02-24-2015, 06:19 PM
great read.

Cloud786
02-24-2015, 06:32 PM
Nice work!

My gut tells me that there are some weird vibes going on with the team. Hope they get it straightened out. Rebuilding is not going to happen this year, so it's kind of a last hurrah.
There is not 1 elite scorer on this team, that is what separates us from the contenders, sadly.

I agree that we don't have an elite scorer, but I still feel like Manu has an aggressive switch that he can flip and start to take good shots over passing the ball to someone else for a great shot. I know that this is the mantra of the Spurs, but we need someone, anyone, that can put up a lot of points and hope and expect that the domino theory will start to take effect. My two cents.

TD 21
02-24-2015, 06:35 PM
Danny Green

Also, I don't know if this is just me, but he verbally flops more than anybody in the league (ok maybe not as much as Boozer but still).

Bryant and P. Gasol are the kings of this.

Kawhi Leonard

Before the year started, I thought that this was going to be the perfect year to develop him. We were going to effortlessly win 50 games yet again, walk through the regular season like we did in 2011-2014, and against bottom of the barrel teams, we could put him on the floor without any of the Big 3 and let him create for himself, mainly from the post. After 50 games, I am so tired of seeing Kawhiso's.

I was never as enamored with this idea as the vast majority. I know it seemed like a natural evolution, but I doubt he's ever going to be a go to scorer (I realize that, as of right now, he's as close as they have to one going forward, but still) and that he wanted more responsibility, but this team had a good thing going and now it's been derailed, in part so that he can attempt to find his way as a featured player offensively. As if that couldn't have waited until after Duncan and Ginobili are gone.

Aron Baynes

As I said earlier, thankfully, he's making himself into a decent shooter from about elbow distance. I love his reverse lay ups. I'd like to see him protect the restricted area and paint while fouling less

As much as he's improved, he's still low IQ, relatively unskilled, an awkward fit (not enough stretch to get by playing PF offensively and not enough rim protection for a C defensively) and ultimately, his numbers generally end up feeling empty.

Tiago Splitter
If it were up to me, if Duncan doesn't have a decent jumper by playoff time, I'd keep Splitter coming off the bench so that at least Manu can make him at all valuable on his time on the floor.

I said it a while ago, that this is more than likely why Baynes is starting now. It's not because Splitter is still hobbled (if he is) or to send a message, it's because Duncan has damn near given up on his mid ranger, save for the Clippers game.

Throw in that they like Diaw to be paired with Ginobili and Bonner looking done as an NBA player and by default, that leaves Baynes as a starter. He's obviously in over his head in that role, so I doubt it lasts though.

In the end, if this was TL;DR for you, then my final point is that, in my opinion, the way to fix these complacent players is to have ONE game where one guy goes bonkers.

They can't do it anymore. In the past, through injuries or just a general malaise, one of the big three would always step up and flat out will it. Duncan and to a lesser extent, Ginobili, have tried repeatedly and they've lost most of those games.

Plum Island
02-24-2015, 06:35 PM
http://bballbreakdown.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/San-Antonio-Spurs-Utah-Jazz-2012-Playoffs.jpg
Wow, that was pretty bad. I just watched the game and turned it off with 6 minutes left in the fourth. Awful performance, and this has happened many times this year, but when I'm watching a shitty team play the Spurs, they start to look like contending number 1 seeds that we're no match for. In years past, that's the feeling the other team is supposed to go through, but this year, something's changed...

Enrique Porker
http://i.cdn.turner.com/drp/nba/spurs/sites/default/files/styles/main_gallery_photo__480_tall/public/junctionrb_7_of_24.jpg?itok=CcpwOawu
It seems that hundreds of Parker threads are surfacing everyday on this website, and honestly, not watching the last couple of games, I thought, "this is an overreaction of epic proportions." I mean, we're talking about someone the media was calling probably the best point guard in the game, if you take into account everything a point guard is supposed to do (so excluding Westbrook and Rose). When I hear the name Tony Parker, I used to think 2007 FMVP, Game 1 2013 NBA Finals, and his nasty step back 3 on LeBron that should've clinched the 2013 Finals (I'm not one of those oh he was 6/23 that's horrible blah blah, I only ask the question, did our best player put us in position to win, and imo, he did). But now, I think of a slow, fat, shell of his former self. He's so bad he's a net negative, and I don't even think the Great Net Negative himself (Josh Smith) could do what Parker is doing to us even if he tried. That PtR thread said we go from with him - Sacromento Kings to without him - Golden State Warriors. :wow. Again, :wow. That kind of dropoff, consistent regression (aside from his increase from 3 point range), I have no words.

As far his game versus Utah, I've finally (after 56 games), think he needs to be benched. He's not attacking as much as he was before, and when he does, he gets his shit stuffed or turns it over. Instead of attacking, he's settling for what's supposed to be his bread and butter, long range 2's, but he's not making near as many as he did in years past. Even if you're a box score, analytics/advanced statistics, or just an eye test kind of person, there is absolutely fucking nothing you can say to defend this man. We are literally better off playing 4 on 5, and that is why I think CoJo should start.

Danny Green
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/KHUflfqCMVI/0.jpg
To those who may not know, I think Danny Green is a better on-ball defender than Kawhi. I think he cheats way less, his lateral movement, fouling wherewithal, hand and positioning fundamentals are just better. But it appears to me that Pop keeps putting him on a shooter that Green has to chase around all game, and Green isn't as good as Kawhi going through screens, help defending, and knowing when to rotate. We all know how poorly he closes out on shooters. So for this, I'm going to give Green a pass for this game for his defense, but on offense, I think we have a 2-guard version of Matt Bonner. He isn't curling around screens properly, he holds the ball for too long when he gets it, he doesn't dribble or make the defense move, and he opts to pass it to the closest player to him, and when he doesn't do that, he turns it over. Also, I don't know if this is just me, but he verbally flops more than anybody in the league (ok maybe not as much as Boozer but still).

Kawhi Leonard
https://fbexternal-a.akamaihd.net/safe_image.php?d=AQDMQ6bEcX3TB7wE&w=470&h=246&url=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-xpa1%2Fv%2Ft1.0-9%2F10407208_10152681166976981_8025154356503359956 _n.jpg%3Foh%3Dce58eb15cd74ef2d323716cef67d5d65%26o e%3D558C5102%26__gda__%3D1435552276_7ac0b005130231 0df6ae2d56e24fa32a&cfs=1&upscale=1&sx=0&sy=0&sw=720&sh=377
Before the year started, I thought that this was going to be the perfect year to develop him. We were going to effortlessly win 50 games yet again, walk through the regular season like we did in 2011-2014, and against bottom of the barrel teams, we could put him on the floor without any of the Big 3 and let him create for himself, mainly from the post. After 50 games, I am so tired of seeing Kawhiso's. I'm starting to think last year's post efficiency stat of his was a fluke, and I honestly cringe just as much when this happens as I do when Parker shoots the ball. He hasn't shown me his court vision out of the baseline post, he's redundant as hell with his turnaround fade, and I'm sad to see less of his front-facing hook that was his most valuable offensive move in the 2013 NBA Finals, mainly off of offensive boards. For this reason, we can't get away with putting Kawhi out there without one of the Big 3 or Boris. Maybe he needs a change of pace, I'd definitely like to see more high screen and rolls from him to see his triple threat capabilities, but for now, let's try to get him the ball less. As far as his defense goes, I don't have anything to say. His motor itself takes care of that.

Tim Duncan
http://www.sltrib.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=161Bf $rmivn7OaLKPnCNYc$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYuxMeiajcmzuHw iXJxB3sgKWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg
He is still the best player on the team. His defense, imo, is satisfactory as long as he doesn't constantly get burned by the ball handler in pick and roll situations. On offense, however, I'm a little frustrated by his jump shot. You would think that at his age, he would start to settle for more jump shots in order to avoid banging in the paint more (a la Tony Parker), but even after his dropoff, he still has that annoying flat shot that I have no confidence in. If he spreads the floor adequately, then I won't mind having him out with Splitter at all. But if we have to start Baynes just to spread the floor a little, and Duncan isn't the one taking the shooting initiative, that won't bode well for us. And last, he needs to stop going with the right turning right. I've had enough of Stephen Adams and Rudy Gobert blocking that shot without even having to jump. Use that savvy.

Aron Baynes
As I said earlier, thankfully, he's making himself into a decent shooter from about elbow distance. I love his reverse lay ups. I'd like to see him protect the restricted area and paint while fouling less, I don't know if that's a verticality issue or if the refs just don't respect him or react to small guards getting smashed by his rugby built chest, but even with his fatigue issues, I'd like to see him get more of Duncan's playing time to improve not only that, but his ability to read the defense off high screen and rolls. The X's and O's say pass to the corner 3 when the help comes, but I'd like to see him get a little more creative when the triple threat situation presents himself, because right now Boris 2.0 is the only player that scares defenses in those scenarios because of his versatility.

Patty Mills
He seems way less aggressive this year. Last year, Pat Stacks/Thrills Mills could put up 20 on any night, but he seems timid and his percentage has decreased. He's been embarrassed a few times on D this year (Harden proposal, running into the Favors), so hopefully if the match-up is bad, Pop will go to CoJo instead (I don't care about the offensive dropoff, this team needs defense).

Manu Ginobili
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/X53tbprswuMas-AkkHUCqD6DJSI=/0x211:2285x1496/1050x591/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/45434908/usa-today-8261473.0.jpg
They say he's 37, but he looks like he's 73 tbh. He's playing way more floor general than scorer, and I don't know if this is because he's tired, or he gets less confident every time he misses, but imo he needs to attack more. The entire team is playing uninterested basketball, and when I watch other NBA teams, the quick fix to that is having their best player go off. They start to galvanize around that guy and match his intensity. All this beautiful game bullshit needs to go out the window temporarily, and if Manu has it in him, I'd like to see Emmanuel Ginobili, the same fearless, ultimate competitor that would destroy the Suns and Lakers no matter what it took. Instead, his defacto point guard role is reducing him to a second Tony Parker on the team, and the offense seems really repetitious when he's manning it.

Marco Bellinelli
http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/003/190/210/hi-res-23aae88cfb12137c40f5ce5a57279fd9_crop_exact.jpg?w= 1500&h=1500&q=85
I always laugh at how when we signed him, this turned into a Raven vs SpursTalk battle. Bellinelli in his first year would spell Manu in terrific ways, he would be productive, his offense would outbalance his defense, and he would be a complimentary substitute. I even bought one of those SuperSub Bros shirts because they put on a show whenever they played together. The playoffs opened our eyes to not only how useless Tony Parker is, but how utterly disgusting it is to have Bellinelli on the floor in a Spurs uniform. Don't give me his 3 in game 3, he's the one who caused the deficit, because that's what he does best. Providing runs for the other team. Versus Utah, I saw the same kind of horrible defense, and on offense, he's doing what I want Green to do, but he's making less shots and his court vision is too limited for his driving game. The only times I want him to play are when there is an offensive black hole on the other team, like Andre Roberson or someone like that. Someone that guarding means to just stand next to them. If that's the case, then I'm fine. If not, more minutes at the SF position for Green please.

Boris Diaw
https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/lhba6cjJkXLnrGjyhwTXwgEslyk=/0x0:3329x2219/730x487/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/45432736/usa-today-8261539.0.jpg
On the poll for which regression hurt the most, Boris Diaw was my vote. There's a reason why he was being considered a serious candidate for FMVP last year, and that's because out of the pick and roll, he's one of the most versatile triple threat players there are in league. I didn't expect Boris 2.0 to show up on the daily, but at least Boris 1.5, someone that could give us 5-5-5ish games. But this year, every aspect of his game has been trash. I feel like I'm watching that fat turd that was bounced from the Charlotte Bobcats for giving up on his team. I don't care about his weight, his personality for contract year productions, any of that nonsense. I just want Boris 2.0 to show up when we need him, against contenders and when the team is playing lackadaisical ball. Pop said that without TP being TP, we aren't going anywhere. Well, I disagree. Without Bobo being Bobo, we aren't going anywhere.

As far as the Utah game goes, I'm happy that he made a majority of his threes. Keep shooting them and hopefully 2.0 will be back soon.

Tiago Splitter
http://assets1.sportsnet.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/07795382-640x360.jpg
I wish the Spurs weren't so secretive with his injury. I'm assuming it's serious, because the Splitter I remember is the guy that carried us defensively against Dirk and LMA in back to back playoff rounds last year. The guy that when paired with Duncan would offset his poor mobility in the pick and roll game. This year, Splitter is the epitome of vagina. He's so soft, its unbelievable how he's in the league. He gets pushed around so easily and can't offer a lick of paint protection. If it were up to me, if Duncan doesn't have a decent jumper by playoff time, I'd keep Splitter coming off the bench so that at least Manu can make him at all valuable on his time on the floor.

Cory Joseph
https://fbexternal-a.akamaihd.net/safe_image.php?d=AQBWFyHH1CSWFgwu&w=470&h=246&url=https%3A%2F%2Fscontent-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net%2Fhphotos-xpf1%2Ft31.0-8%2Fs720x720%2F10991612_10152679773266981_46317122 56633783412_o.jpg&cfs=1&upscale=1&sx=16&sy=0&sw=688&sh=360
I can't believe I'm saying this, but just him and Duncan all year have been the only two guys that have shown me what playing with heart is. This guy has minimal talent, but he's making the best of his playing time when he's on the floor. His driving game seems sporadic, but when he does drive, he does it fearlessly and finishes most of the time. His court vision has improved significantly, and his defense is still great. I agree with the rest of you that when he plays with Parker or Manu, then he defers to them a lot and we don't get to see the same CoJo that dunked on Ibaka. But if you place him in the starting lineup, and let him and Duncan run the system with Kawhi and Green spread out and Baynes roaming, I think we can be much more productive than we are now with Parker. He does need to make shots more consistently, but even if he isn't, he's providing us with more possessions off of opponent misses than any other point guards are (better than Mills or Bellinelli where offense has to counter defense). If you insert 2014 Splitter back into the lineup, then you have yourself one hell of a defensive line-up with CoJo, Wing Stop, and Splitter.

http://saltcityhoops.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/i-71.jpg
In the end, if this was TL;DR for you, then my final point is that, in my opinion, the way to fix these complacent players is to have ONE game where one guy goes bonkers. If you're watching any of the current hot teams now, aside from Atlanta who doesn't seem to have problems playing the beautiful game, you'll notice that there's going to be one or two players that have insane numbers (or highlight plays) that the rest of the team just follows in pursuit effort-wise with that player. Like OKC right now with Westbrook, everyone is feeding off his energy. If Manu can have a vintage performance, like a forty point game, I feel that we can start playing how we usually play coming off the ASB. You can argue that Timmy just had one versus the Clippers, but it was a game that you realized Timmy had 30 and 11 after the game was over. I'm talking about a game where in the middle of the second or third, you're like "wow, he's going HAM." I'm sorry if I'm coming off as a player-hater, just know that it's tough-love criticism from a lifelong fan who's simply traumatized by the play of one of the greatest sport organizations ever, if not the greatest.

Best post in so long... I can't remember one comparable in the past 400 days.
Massive kudos and I personally hope you do this more often.

Best post in over a year. Sorry Harlem.

Cloud786
02-24-2015, 06:54 PM
Excellent thoughts. Thank you for the time it took and the analysis you put into it.

The only minor (and I emphasize minor) disagreement I have is with Manu's role. I think you are 1000% right that he is playing more of a floor general role right now, but I actually think that is his best role right now. His shot is so bad and his free throw shooting so erratic that I think he is best at running the offense. He is still the best pg we have, imo, and the trick is to get people to take make the shots he is getting them. The fact that no one on the team is able to shoot the ball is a huge part of the problem.

I'd love to read your thoughts on the coaches.

I'll give a little quip on each assistant coach, and then talk about Pop mostly.

Boylen: I was never a fan of his, since he brought Ayres over and somehow forgot to play Kawhi in the one game he took over after Pop got ejected. I don't know what his style of coaching entails, but I wouldn't be a fan because I watched Indy when they had him and they looked like the rest of the league (iso-heavy, no pressure to play defense, etc.)

Messina: He is 1-0, but he seems to have Beli-Bias. Anybody that is willing to play Beli extended minutes I'm not a fan of, and he was supposed to "revolutionize" the offense, but I see much of the same stuff as last year but played with little to no effort.

Chip: Have to give him his props for what he did for Kawhi. My only wish is that he would spend time with CoJo so that he wouldn't be such an offensive liability, and Duncan, so that he can have more lift and arch in his mid-range jumpshot.

Forcier/Hammon: I don't think these guys have much input... Pop said he hired these guys because they had the guts to argue with him about what schemes to run, so the more diversity in our offense the better (NOT defense)

Udoka: Dude was a horrible player, and like the two above I don't think he has much input, but if he works for Pop, then he works for me. He took the back spot of Sean Marks IIRC and Sean went to become assistant GM, so either he's a personnel specialist (specifying the other teams strengths and weaknesses) or defensive since that was his thing when he was a player. Another no-input tape watcher imo.

Pop: I have to start off with the zone defense. WHY? I don't get it. Yea it keeps the guys fresh but we can't rebound to save our lives and I can't tell you how many times I saw DeAndre Jordan have NO ONE box him out because everyone was preoccupied with their zone. If we were playing zone horribly, AND winning, then honestly, I have no problem with it. And I'm talking specifically about MZ, or Match-up Zone. Rick Carlisle's beautiful invention was implemented in the 2011 NBA Finals and I saw all its glory with my very own eyes. It takes a long time to learn, several years, but once mastered, zone defense becomes a legitimate option for a team to run. But the Spurs look like hapless children when they try it. Everybody is out of place and Duncan spends more time directing traffic then he does protecting his zone. Like I said with Kawhi, it's nice to have the luxury of winning while developing things, but we aren't winning, so maybe less mad scientist?

His rotations are weird. Sometimes he'll do hockey substitutions, sometimes he'll leave people in for entire quarters, I don't know what's going on. We need to go with what works, and in my opinion that's slowly bringing in Mills, Manu, Diaw, then Splitter. Then mix and match from there depending on the other teams personnel. He needs to adjust to the other team and conform to small ball at times instead of just attempting zone. I feel like he's being stubborn with his rotations, but at least I like it when he keeps the hot hand in.

I have a problem with his short leashes, specifically for Green. One thing he does wrong and it's the end of the world. Because we're the 7th seed, you have to ditch your psychological philosophy and just go with your defensive stars. When Green makes a mistake, he's always subbed out for Beli. I have no idea what infatuation Pop has for Beli and Bonner, but they are fringe NBA players and if you have to seriously play zone to accommodate for their weaknesses, I feel like it's easier to just play the starters and second unit a little more. Some people say that Beli is inserted in to jump start the offense, but he can't create for himself, and this year it appears that his magic with Manu is gone, so I'm mad at Pop for continuing to play Beli so much in this tough stretch.

Sean Cagney
02-24-2015, 06:54 PM
Great post.

Malik Hairston
02-24-2015, 07:11 PM
Nice work!

Spurs didn't have even 1 great scorer last year, let alone elite, tbh..

Cloud786
02-24-2015, 07:15 PM
In hindsight, I agree now that Kawhi's development should've taken place after Duncan and Manu retired. And regarding Baynes, I just want him to be what Beli was for us last year. A productive bench player that plays well enough in the regular season so that we can afford to play them and win games. Once the playoffs start, I want only Duncan, Splitter, and Boris to play. And yea they've tried and failed, but I still believe that Manu has one more game in him where he just takes over and single-handedly wins us the game. I may be wrong. But thank you for your input!

EVAY
02-24-2015, 07:15 PM
I'll give a little quip on each assistant coach, and then talk about Pop mostly.

Boylen: I was never a fan of his, since he brought Ayres over and somehow forgot to play Kawhi in the one game he took over after Pop got ejected. I don't know what his style of coaching entails, but I wouldn't be a fan because I watched Indy when they had him and they looked like the rest of the league (iso-heavy, no pressure to play defense, etc.)

Messina: He is 1-0, but he seems to have Beli-Bias. Anybody that is willing to play Beli extended minutes I'm not a fan of, and he was supposed to "revolutionize" the offense, but I see much of the same stuff as last year but played with little to no effort.

Chip: Have to give him his props for what he did for Kawhi. My only wish is that he would spend time with CoJo so that he wouldn't be such an offensive liability, and Duncan, so that he can have more lift and arch in his mid-range jumpshot.

Forcier/Hammon: I don't think these guys have much input... Pop said he hired these guys because they had the guts to argue with him about what schemes to run, so the more diversity in our offense the better (NOT defense)

Udoka: Dude was a horrible player, and like the two above I don't think he has much input, but if he works for Pop, then he works for me. He took the back spot of Sean Marks IIRC and Sean went to become assistant GM, so either he's a personnel specialist (specifying the other teams strengths and weaknesses) or defensive since that was his thing when he was a player. Another no-input tape watcher imo.

Pop: I have to start off with the zone defense. WHY? I don't get it. Yea it keeps the guys fresh but we can't rebound to save our lives and I can't tell you how many times I saw DeAndre Jordan have NO ONE box him out because everyone was preoccupied with their zone. If we were playing zone horribly, AND winning, then honestly, I have no problem with it. And I'm talking specifically about MZ, or Match-up Zone. Rick Carlisle's beautiful invention was implemented in the 2011 NBA Finals and I saw all its glory with my very own eyes. It takes a long time to learn, several years, but once mastered, zone defense becomes a legitimate option for a team to run. But the Spurs look like hapless children when they try it. Everybody is out of place and Duncan spends more time directing traffic then he does protecting his zone. Like I said with Kawhi, it's nice to have the luxury of winning while developing things, but we aren't winning, so maybe less mad scientist?

His rotations are weird. Sometimes he'll do hockey substitutions, sometimes he'll leave people in for entire quarters, I don't know what's going on. We need to go with what works, and in my opinion that's slowly bringing in Mills, Manu, Diaw, then Splitter. Then mix and match from there depending on the other teams personnel. He needs to adjust to the other team and conform to small ball at times instead of just attempting zone. I feel like he's being stubborn with his rotations, but at least I like it when he keeps the hot hand in.

I have a problem with his short leashes, specifically for Green. One thing he does wrong and it's the end of the world. Because we're the 7th seed, you have to ditch your psychological philosophy and just go with your defensive stars. When Green makes a mistake, he's always subbed out for Beli. I have no idea what infatuation Pop has for Beli and Bonner, but they are fringe NBA players and if you have to seriously play zone to accommodate for their weaknesses, I feel like it's easier to just play the starters and second unit a little more. Some people say that Beli is inserted in to jump start the offense, but he can't create for himself, and this year it appears that his magic with Manu is gone, so I'm mad at Pop for continuing to play Beli so much in this tough stretch.

Thanks again. Your insights are so well stated and reflect a lot of thought.

I get the impression that Pop is not very upset about the season. He just doesn't seem to care - not unlike some of his players, tbh. I can't figure out if he is just hiding his feelings, or if he really feels that this is as good as this team can get this year. I keep remembering him saying that 2012 team had basically 'overachieved' (I think that was his exact words) by getting as far as the WCF finals.

If Boylen is responsible for Baynes' development and for teaching Ayres to catch a basketball, he has probably earned his paycheck, but I notice that Pop never let himself get kicked out of a game again after he 'forgot' Kawhi that time, either.

I have begun to really worry about the influence of Messina. I know better than to infer causation from correlation, but I cannot help but notice that we have never looked like we had any energy since he got here.

Were you following the Spurs when Pop was the GM and fired Bob Hill for having "lost the team"? I keep wondering if Pop has lost this team. Either he doesn't seem able to motivate them to play with focus and intensity, or he himself has lost that intensity.

I know that Pop is one of the greatest coaches of all time, and I am definitely not suggesting that we get rid of him. But I can't see how SO MANY team members have such a terrible year at the same time for so much of the season without the coached taking some level of responsibility for it.

Cloud786
02-24-2015, 07:29 PM
Thanks again. Your insights are so well stated and reflect a lot of thought.

I get the impression that Pop is not very upset about the season. He just doesn't seem to care - not unlike some of his players, tbh. I can't figure out if he is just hiding his feelings, or if he really feels that this is as good as this team can get this year. I keep remembering him saying that 2012 team had basically 'overachieved' (I think that was his exact words) by getting as far as the WCF finals.

If Boylen is responsible for Baynes' development and for teaching Ayres to catch a basketball, he has probably earned his paycheck, but I notice that Pop never let himself get kicked out of a game again after he 'forgot' Kawhi that time, either.

I have begun to really worry about the influence of Messina. I know better than to infer causation from correlation, but I cannot help but notice that we have never looked like we had any energy since he got here.

Were you following the Spurs when Pop was the GM and fired Bob Hill for having "lost the team"? I keep wondering if Pop has lost this team. Either he doesn't seem able to motivate them to play with focus and intensity, or he himself has lost that intensity.

I know that Pop is one of the greatest coaches of all time, and I am definitely not suggesting that we get rid of him. But I can't see how SO MANY team members have such a terrible year at the same time for so much of the season without the coached taking some level of responsibility for it.

I was too young to be following the Spurs when that happened, but over the years I've seen that pattern emerge over and over again across the NBA and NFL. I'm a huge 49ers fan, and we went from 3-time NFCCG participants to irrelevant, and we had to get rid of our coach (Jim Harbaugh) because he had "lost the team." It happens, but in this case, I don't think he's as responsible as you're implying. He and his extension, the Big 3, have proven to the rest of the roster that we have not only what it takes to win, we have what it takes to have a championship stolen from our fingertips and to fight and get it back. Plus, Pop and RC evaluate the kind of players they bring in before they sign them (which is why we never acquire any free agents), and we make sure that it doesn't matter if they're unathletic or other teams have given up on them, all we care about is that they play the right way and that they have the it-factor to never give up (focus and intensity). So even if Pop himself has lost it, according to his and RC's parameters, his players, and most importantly the Big 3, should not lose it either. I'm honestly waiting until the first round to see how we play. That'll show this team's true colors imo.

FkLA
02-24-2015, 07:39 PM
No bias, no faggy themes, no feminine writing.

Just a solid write-up tbh. :tu

cjw
02-24-2015, 07:51 PM
Can we pin this thread? It's actually a worthwhile read unlike the majority of ones that get started on here by posters who shall not be named.

Brazil
02-24-2015, 08:02 PM
Solid read tbh

not ot sure what naming Tp Enrique porker add to the post but whatever it's trendy I guess... But I agree at this point trying him out the bench seems to me the good move

ElNono
02-24-2015, 08:10 PM
Great writeup, thanks for taking the time.

I think the main issue with Cojo's offense is that he still doesn't know how to pick his spots. He has a very good, reliable I would say, jumper, and he can drive and finish. But, it's not uncommon to see him taking a shot when a teammate is wide open, or passing when he has an open lane. He does defer when Tony or Manu are on the floor, but because I think he understands he still needs to develop a better feel for the game before making those calls. For example, George Hill as a backup PG was much more resolute in making those decisions (even though he would defer at times too). Ultimately, the coach giving him confidence and experience itself will work that out. He's been much more of a solid player than anyone here expected this season, IMO.

Cry Havoc
02-24-2015, 08:13 PM
Solid read tbh

not ot sure what naming Tp Enrique porker add to the post but whatever it's trendy I guess... But I agree at this point trying him out the bench seems to me the good move

Yep. Parker's really in trouble.

Though I find it hilarious if any other player on our team is struggling outside of Beli it's because "he must be injured", but with Parker it's because he's fallen off, when he's had a bad hammy all year. I'd like to see someone from Spurstalk show explosive speed with a bad hamstring. :lol

in2deep
02-24-2015, 08:14 PM
Yep. Parker's really in trouble.

Though I find it hilarious if any other player on our team is struggling outside of Beli it's because "he must be injured", but with Parker it's because he's fallen off, when he's had a bad hammy all year. I'd like to see someone from Spurstalk show explosive speed with a bad hamstring. :lol

sure but if his hammy is bothering him so much, why keep playing him? it's not going to get better.

or is it?

Cry Havoc
02-24-2015, 08:16 PM
sure but if his hammy is bothering him so much, why keep playing him? it's not going to get better.

or is it?

Sometimes those injuries won't heal without extended time off. As in, he'd have to miss the playoffs to be back to 100%.

If that's not the case by all means sit him and roll the dice with Cojo/Patty running point. But otherwise, we're between a rock and a hard place.

in2deep
02-24-2015, 08:19 PM
Sometimes those injuries won't heal without extended time off. As in, he'd have to miss the playoffs to be back to 100%.

If that's not the case by all means sit him and roll the dice with Cojo/Patty running point. But otherwise, we're between a rock and a hard place.

yeah. But my point is "if his hammy is so bad" why play him so much? does not seem logical to me from coach's perspective.

Either
A) Parker is lying about his injury and the coaching staff is naive enough to believe it
B) Parker is fine physically and the problem is mostly mental

let's hope it's B because if it's A, we are fucked

RD2191
02-24-2015, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the writeup. Good analysis.

DMC
02-25-2015, 01:12 AM
To address your synopsis, you cannot just "have a guy go bonkers" as a repair item. It's not something you can control. That's like saying "the key to getting rich is have the stock market go bonkers and be invested the right way" then making that a game plan.

Legacy
02-25-2015, 01:46 AM
Good thing I missed this game. :p:

Cloud786
02-25-2015, 01:53 AM
To address your synopsis, you cannot just "have a guy go bonkers" as a repair item. It's not something you can control. That's like saying "the key to getting rich is have the stock market go bonkers and be invested the right way" then making that a game plan.

It's not as much of a suggested game plan as it is a theory. Albeit, with our current balanced attack it's quite difficult for anyone to "go off," but even on high ball movement-oriented teams like Atlanta and Golden State you can witness Teague and Horford/Steph and Klay do notable damage. In my opinion, I think our most likely player to have that kind of game is Manu.

romain.star
02-25-2015, 04:19 AM
It's more "Thoughts from Spurs season" but great read nevertheless

Agree with most of your points. Solid write-up

aal04
02-25-2015, 05:54 AM
I never saw Kawhi as a franchise player. And although he had an fmvp final series, i still wouldnt invest as much into him as pop has. TD was still our best player in the playoffs overall.

I agree with the Kawhisos, not only is Kawhi not there as a player yet (and may never be), but we play much better when we spread the ball waiting for the best shot. Maybe Pop is getting sick of the ball movement as its quite difficult to teach/coach/maintain and wants to just do a simple "dump it to the star player" plays