View Full Version : I wanna see Manu start

dabom
02-24-2015, 06:36 PM
Manu green kawhi boris and tim.

Good offense with good defense.

Shake things up for a bit.

ElNono
02-24-2015, 08:52 PM
I would go further, considering Manu can only give you his best in 20-25 mins a night these days:

Starting:
Cojo-Manu-Kawhi-Tim-Tiago

- You get a penetrator in Cojo, who can also hit a jumpshot if you need to space
- You get the Tim-Tiago-Kawhi defensive frontcourt
- You get Manu being able to run P&R with both Tim and Tiago
- You lose a pure shooter, but the starters have to bring the defensive intensity, and I think that lineup can do that
- Manu rests 5-10 more mins than some of these guys, so when he can't go with them, you bring in Danny/Patty/Tony in his place.

Bench:
Tony-Patty-Danny-Boris-Baynes

- Tony gets to play against bench guys, trying to rebuild his confidence
- You can switch Patty/Marco at will. If we need Danny to check a designated 6th man PG/SG, he can play SG, and Marco SF, or Danny can play SF and Patty SG.
- Lots of spacing for Tony's penetration and dish.
- Can also play inside-out with Boris on the post, dishing out to Tony's new 3 point shot.

I also would like to see more defined roles. Less switching around and better establishment of which one is the starting unit and which one is the bench unit. It's hard to tell nowadays if Danny is truly a starter or a bench guy, same with Bobo. Too much shuffling. Time to establish roles, let them figure it out for a few games, and see what you get.

Diego20
02-24-2015, 08:53 PM
I would go further, considering Manu can only give you his best in 20-25 mins a night these days:

Starting:
Cojo-Manu-Kawhi-Tim-Tiago

- You get a penetrator in Cojo, who can also hit a jumpshot if you need to space
- You get the Tim-Tiago-Kawhi defensive frontcourt
- You get Manu being able to run P&R with both Tim and Tiago
- You lose a pure shooter, but the starters have to bring the defensive intensity, and I think that lineup can do that
- Manu rests 5-10 more mins than some of these guys, so when he can't go with them, you bring in Danny/Patty/Tony in his place.

Bench:
Tony-Patty-Danny-Boris-Baynes

- Tony gets to play against bench guys, trying to rebuild his confidence
- You can switch Patty/Marco at will. If we need Danny to check a designated 6th man PG/SG, he can play SG, and Marco SF, or Danny can play SF and Patty SG.
- Lots of spacing for Tony's penetration and dish.
- Can also play inside-out with Boris on the post, dishing out to Tony's new 3 point shot.

I also would like to see more defined roles. Less switching around and better establishment of which one is the starting unit and which one is the bench unit. It's hard to tell nowadays if Danny is truly a starter or a bench guy, same with Bobo. Too much shuffling. Time to establish roles, let them figure it out for a few games, and see what you get.

inb4 TP fans: "how can you bench MVParker?

ElNono
02-24-2015, 08:55 PM
Nothing is permanent... but I think Pop has to look for ways to remove pressure off Tony, a big competitor, and see if that helps him recover some of his swagger, at least offensively. This would be one way to do that.

Diego20
02-24-2015, 09:04 PM
Green D > Manu D but Cojo D >>>>>> TP D so i'm all for that lineup

Cojo - Manu - Leonard - TD - Splitter

in2deep
02-24-2015, 09:09 PM
problem is Manu cannot play over 20 minutes a game. I think Green needs to start, so we can't really start Manu at PG. don't think this is doable.

dabom
02-24-2015, 09:11 PM
problem is Manu cannot play over 20 minutes a game. I think Green needs to start, so we can't really start Manu at PG. don't think this is doable.

Tony can't play 20 mins either. Pop already has the minute rotations already. This is easy for Pop. Atleast manu can play a good 25 mins instead of a shit 25.

ElNono
02-24-2015, 09:14 PM

If Tony is coming off the bench, then it doesn't really matter when Manu plays. I figured 6 mins in the 1st, 4 mins in the 2nd, 5 mins in the 3rd, 8-10 mins in the 4th...

It's not really much different than what he's playing right now...

in2deep
02-24-2015, 09:17 PM
If Tony is coming off the bench, then it doesn't really matter when Manu plays. I figured 6 mins in the 1st, 4 mins in the 2nd, 5 mins in the 3rd, 8-10 mins in the 4th...

It's not really much different than what he's playing right now...

problem is last time green came off the bench, he struggled. He seems to be the type to do best when starting. When Green starts the game well we usually win. If anything, start Cory along with Green and bring Parker first off the bench at 7 minute mark.

ElNono
02-24-2015, 09:24 PM
problem is last time green came off the bench, he struggled. He seems to be the type to do best when starting. When Green starts the game well we usually win. If anything, start Cory along with Green and bring Parker first off the bench at 7 minute mark.

I'm actually a big believer in that Danny simply plays a lot better at home than on the road. I don't have stats to prove it, just a general feeling. I don't know if it's because he can get away with more stuff defensively, or what.

Honestly, I have no problem with Danny starting, but the issue is you want a play maker in there, and if it's not Tony, then it's Manu or Boris. Boris I'd like to keep on the bench simply because the defense/rebounding would suffer. While Gino is easily the weakest link defensively on the lineup I posted, the rim protection/rebounding would still be the best, on paper, that we have.

Chinook
02-24-2015, 09:31 PM
Green and Cory and Mills/Beli off the bench, TP, Manu and chucker starting.

TheGreatYacht
02-24-2015, 09:52 PM
Green and Cory and Mills/Beli off the bench, TP, Manu and chucker starting.
:lol chucker

DAF86
02-24-2015, 10:01 PM
Pop has to stop fucking around and establish some stability on the team.

Starting 5: Tony, Green, Leonard, Diaw and Duncan
Bench: Mills, Manu, Belli (some minutes here and there) and Tiago/Baynes (one or the other. I don't think they can play toghether). Mix it up with some Bonner for short periods if you want.

mkurts
02-24-2015, 10:24 PM
Parker needs to come off the bench.

He is overmatched by opponent starting PGs and will play better against opponent benchers.

cd98
02-24-2015, 10:24 PM
Problem is that we need Manu to play "point guard" with Mills/CJ because neither has playmaking skills. Starting Manu over Parker would mean playing Parker with Mills or CJ. That won'twork defensively with Mills, and Tony and CJ need to play with a three point shooter at the other guard spot so they can't really coexist bc they can't spread the court.

BackHome
02-24-2015, 11:14 PM
I think it's injuries I think Kawhi is playing with a torn tendon in his hand and Parker hamstring is still bothering him. I don't think either one will be the type of player they should be this season and with that you can pretty much kiss the back to back goodbye. But for real we had a good run and have one of the best players EVER playing for us. So I am going to sit back and enjoy watching Timmy play....

MI21
02-24-2015, 11:25 PM
I am having 3 frustrations at the moment, this seems to be a decent place to put them down.

1 - Keep one of Green/Kawhi on the court at all times. There shouldn't be more than 1 or 2 minutes a game where at least one isn't on the court.

2 - Try and keep most of Diaw's minutes matching up with Duncan, to help with the rebounding defensively and spacing offensively.

3 - Stop running standstill plays for Kawhi. He is much better as an option on a set piece when he is on the move. His ISO's are horrific.

Manu isn't a problem tbh, he has been alright this season, shows flashes of brilliance and you his intensity/minutes will lift in the playoffs.

DMC
02-25-2015, 12:11 AM
It's not a rotation issue. It's a contentment issue. Players are fat and content because they are champions. Spurs didn't bring in new blood to crave a ring. They have that issue almost every time they've rang. The ringing team is the same the following year. New blood, good new blood, comes in without that full feeling and gets after it. One or two guys who are hungry, maybe a good D-League standout, and they will often get the rest of the guys going.

in2deep
02-25-2015, 09:21 AM
I am having 3 frustrations at the moment, this seems to be a decent place to put them down.

1 - Keep one of Green/Kawhi on the court at all times. There shouldn't be more than 1 or 2 minutes a game where at least one isn't on the court.

unfortunately both Kawhi and Green are black holes in offense currently. Doing this would basically put spurs 4 vs 5 in offense.

2 - Try and keep most of Diaw's minutes matching up with Duncan, to help with the rebounding defensively and spacing offensively.

I believe Diaws minutes have swollen and he has been one of the few bright spots this month

3 - Stop running standstill plays for Kawhi. He is much better as an option on a set piece when he is on the move. His ISO's are horrific.

agree

Manu isn't a problem tbh, he has been alright this season, shows flashes of brilliance and you his intensity/minutes will lift in the playoffs.

he has been great for a backup SG. moving him to starting minutes would murder his 37 year old body

hater
02-25-2015, 10:07 AM
I think it's injuries I think Kawhi is playing with a torn tendon in his hand and Parker hamstring is still bothering him. I don't think either one will be the type of player they should be this season and with that you can pretty much kiss the back to back goodbye. But for real we had a good run and have one of the best players EVER playing for us. So I am going to sit back and enjoy watching Timmy play....

love your team spirit. please post more often :tu

look_at_g_shred
02-25-2015, 11:17 AM
I have a feeling (which shouldn't be a surprise) that pop will insert diaw in the lineup tonight.

Old School 44
02-25-2015, 02:19 PM
Not that I think it's a bad idea, but I'd be shocked if Tony came off the bench.

in2deep
02-25-2015, 02:21 PM
Not that I think it's a bad idea, but I'd be shocked if Tony came off the bench.

well Pop could allude to Parker "still being injured" and needing his minutes managed. Then pop could give Tony a week off and then "slowly bring him off the bench"

but agree, very unlikely

Old School 44
02-25-2015, 02:50 PM
well Pop could allude to Parker "still being injured" and needing his minutes managed. Then pop could give Tony a week off and then "slowly bring him off the bench"

but agree, very unlikely I just don't know if Tony would handle it well. It's one thing to tell Manu to go to the bench to lead the second unit, it's another to bench Parker after a three game losing streak. Sure Pop can frame it with "injury or minutes management" excuse, but like you said, I think he would have to shut him down completely for a few days or a week, and then bring him back off the bench.