PDA

View Full Version : Finally, Free Agents Want to Flock to the Spurs

Ghost Writer
09-03-2005, 10:50 AM
This is too good to be true.

The Spurs have won a title and as other NBA powerhouses have made signifigant roster moves to acquire new talent, the Spurs have reached out to bring in some international frontcourt help -- and quietly snagged a couple coveted veterans from the wishlists of more needy teams.

Seeing Nick Van Exel and Michael Finley pass on other teams to play with Tim Duncan for a chance at a title builds on the momentum of Brent Barry and Glenn Robinson's signings last season.

You might even say that Robert Horry started the trend.

Now, no one will argue that any of these players were in their primes when they joined the Spurs, but with Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker both establishing themselves as stars, the Spurs are not desperate for that huge, big-name superstar signing anymore.

All they really need is to bring in proven players that have been around long enough to know that they can win with the Spurs.

It will be interesting to see how Coach Gregg Popovich will work the rotations with this much talent and these many reputations to consider.

How would you divide the minutes?

What would your rotation be?

As it stands now, the Spurs can put five quality players off the bench that have name-brand recognition in the League.

Horry, Barry, Nesterovich and Robinson have proven that if they trust their coaches and their teammates and just "fit in," they can win a ring. Van Exel and Finley seem to be saying the right things to indicate that they will be happy with whatever roles the Spurs need of them.

We'll have to see how the newer young international players will fit in and grow.

I think this mix of young potential and veteran talent is a good problem to have.

The days of salivating over a Lamond Murray are over.

Before, I was desperate to give Duncan (and Robinson) real support right away. Well, it took a little while for the front office's more calculated, conservative approach to come to fruition after basically striking out in the lost free agent rush of 2003, but maybe it was all for the better.

In fact, now I know it was.

SequSpur
09-03-2005, 10:56 AM
:lol

Ghost Writer
09-03-2005, 11:04 AM
What's so funny, Sequ?

Sometimes things happen for a reason.

Who knows where the Spurs would be if we did sign a Kidd, Brand or O'Neal back in 2003?

I admit that it's taken a while, but this is a tremendous time to be a Spurs fan.

Van Exel and Finley in the same week?

C'mon.

That's progress.

Leetonidas
09-03-2005, 11:47 AM
Agreed. It's going to be weird going into the season as a powerhouse team and a favorite.

I don't really like it. :lol

T Park
09-03-2005, 12:23 PM
Ghost.

Its awesome to see you back.

I figured your favorite signing would be Van Exel. "Balla"

timvp
09-03-2005, 03:09 PM
Good to see you around, G-Dub. People were waiting for your opinion after the Spurs got Finley and Van Exel. Personally, I never thought that the Spurs would be able to land Finley. He was the top free agent on the market and the Spurs, as you well know, NEVER get the head of the class to join the team. The Spurs usually settle for a fourth or fifth best option.

This time San Antonio got the biggest name on the market in Finley, and a guy who might want to win more than anyone in the league in Van Exel.

Amazing.

ZStomp
09-03-2005, 03:15 PM
Good to see you around, G-Dub. People were waiting for your opinion after the Spurs got Finley and Van Exel. Personally, I never thought that the Spurs would be able to land Finley. He was the top free agent on the market and the Spurs, as you well know, NEVER get the head of the class to join the team. The Spurs usually settle for a fourth or fifth best option.

This time San Antonio got the biggest name on the market in Finley, and a guy who might want to win more than anyone in the league in Van Exel.

Amazing.

And yet, the Spurs continue to be successful. ;) :fro :elephant

Samr
09-03-2005, 03:19 PM
I just keep looking at the roster, and laughing.

If we had signed only Van Exel, I would have been happy. If we had signed only Finley, I would have been REAL happy. The fact that we signed both, days apart, was an emotional overload.

I am still recovering from the hangover.

First one I've ever enjoyed.

GoSpurs21
09-03-2005, 03:28 PM
GW good to see you have finally come around to the rational thinking. That the Spurs produce an AS from within rather than need to acquire a 2nd All Star. I'm just glad that all the FA you wanted a couple years ago (Kidd, GP and countless others) never allowed us (those that wanted to grow our own talent and not go for the Cuban/Allen quick fix) to prove your theory wrong. Pop and RC showed that they truly know a hell of a lot more about running a champion than you do.

I think that is why Sequ is laughing as we all are who are enjoying seeing you eat crow.

But enough about us...it's good to have you back in the discussions. I look forward to agreeing and disagreeing with you and as always...

SequSpur
09-03-2005, 03:30 PM
What's so funny, Sequ?

You amuse me.

Brutalis
09-03-2005, 03:52 PM
Ohhh soo nowwww the boorrrring teams is the coooolest huh? What?

Pretty sad how the old insults the Spurs got were "boring, slow, not exciting"

So, who's getting rings in November again? Ahahah I wonder what people will insult now.

"Duncans nose is big"

TOP-CHERRY
09-03-2005, 03:55 PM
"Duncans nose is big"
Manu?

Brutalis
09-03-2005, 03:59 PM
Manu?
Manu's nose is huge too, and?

TOP-CHERRY
09-03-2005, 04:06 PM
Manu's nose is huge too, and?
And you need to chill....

Marcus Bryant
09-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Welcome back.

It is...

Good Times.™

:cooldevil

jermaine7fan
09-03-2005, 06:22 PM
I can't believe how close you guys have come in previous seasons to getting huge free agents. I am glad people are finally seeing the light and going to potential contenders rather than take more money.

P.S. - You guys wouldn't have been touched by anyone for a decade if you would have gotten JO or Kidd a couple years back. You really scared me with Jermaine... I thought he was bolting for the Champions. It would have been somewhat a good deal for me though... my favorite player would be heading for his fourth straight title this year... you would have had me on the board long ago if Jermaine had joined with ya.

Ghost Writer
09-05-2005, 07:38 PM
Let's relax, GoSpurs. We don't know if we would've won more or less titles if the Spurs acquired a superstar a few years ago.

What we do know now is that the team has won a few titles and has the pieces in place to win a few more due to a successful "B" plan.

I am curious to see how Popovich handles so many options and if he can get the name-brand players to all committ to selfless defense and play around Duncan.

NZHayden
09-05-2005, 07:54 PM
great write up mate