PDA

View Full Version : I Like Nick the Quick's Attitude

Ghost Writer
09-03-2005, 11:00 AM
I expect Van Exel to suddenly shake off the rust and amazingly stay healthy now that he's with a winning team like the Spurs.

Say what you want about the controversial NVE, but he's always been about winning, whether it's hurt his career or some of the teams he's been on when he has not had an opportunity to succeed.

This signing last week both surprised and excited me.

Van Exel is the perfect player to back up Parker. He can be like Terry Porter was for the Spurs, but with more attitude and an drive to win at all costs.

Between Barry and NVE, we got some good, positive intensity to balance out the calmer demeanors of many of the Spurs.

Nice!

exstatic
09-03-2005, 11:05 AM
I feel you on NVE, GW, but Bones is probably the LEAST intense player the Spurs have signed since Rasho. It's no coincidence that both are reportedly being shopped around.

picnroll
09-03-2005, 11:10 AM
Nice to see you back Ghost Writer. Hope everyone is doing well.

Looks like the Spurs got a balla for you.

T Park
09-03-2005, 12:28 PM
damn, Exstatic's hate for Barry is overwhelming.....

exstatic
09-03-2005, 01:07 PM
I don't hate Barry, TPark. I hate his passive game. He's the Rasho of shooting guards. Barry is a hell of a guy, and would probably be my favorite Spur if he, in fact, had the intensity that GW attributes to him. Since he doesn't, I'd love to see him moved, and a younger player brought in.

You do realize that without Barry on the payroll, we could have kept Devin and brought in another young wing player, and still had $$ for NVE and Finley, don't you?

T Park
09-03-2005, 01:22 PM
Noo no hate there.

I was dissapointed too, but Im willing to keep him.

we could have kept Devin

Losing Devin Brown IMO is not that big of a freakin deal.

There is prob some 16 year old pipecleaner arms Armenian who can shoot basketballs like deadeye, who the Spurs have their eyes on to replace him, so IMO its no biggie.

FromWayDowntown
09-03-2005, 01:30 PM
I don't think GW is that far off on identifying Barry as an intensity foil. In Game 6 of the Finals, he appeared to be the only Spur who played with intensity for the entire time that he was on the floor. He brought it in Game 7, too. So, when the Spurs needed it the most, Barry was locked in and played superbly. That's the sign of a guy with some intensity.

I think some of Barry's passiveness during last season derived from his desire to think team-first, which led him to make the extra pass at times when he had an open 3. I don't think that mentality evidences a lack of intensity, though.

thispego
09-03-2005, 02:32 PM
I feel you on NVE, GW, but Bones is probably the LEAST intense player the Spurs have signed since Rasho. It's no coincidence that both are reportedly being shopped around.
:wtf :wtf :wtf i dont know how you cant see the intensity in barry ex. He beats the hell out of himself every time he misses a shot, he wants nothing more than to win and contribute... I dont know iof i was the only one who noticed this last year... but when barry was on, the spurs were unbeatable. His intensity carries over to the entire team

timvp
09-03-2005, 03:12 PM
I actually think Van Exel will go down as a bigger signing than Finley. He's a guy who'll cut your throat out to get a win. He's not afraid to take big shots.

He just wants to win. In that regard, he reminds me of his best friend Avery Johnson.

:smokin

Nikos
09-03-2005, 03:18 PM
Do you think NVE will be the primary backup over Beno?

picnroll
09-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Yes. Do you think Beno might do time in Austin?

SequSpur
09-03-2005, 03:29 PM
Barry was not passive in the playoffs. Wake the hell up.

Barry did just fine. WGAF about the regular season?

Beno was decent in the regular season but blew in the playoffs. He should be waived immediately.

Rasho was decent in the preseason and blew in the season and playoffs, he should be waived immediately.

Barry was a key piece to the championship.

Open your eyes and recognize.

GoSpurs21
09-03-2005, 04:15 PM
NVE's contributions will pale in comparision to Fin and Berry. hell you might as well through in Beno with Mike and Brent. I look for Pop to use NVE in the meaningless ball games. You know those bottom feeder games that the core Spurs tend to get bored, disinterested and seem to loose (Atl, Tor). Pop will do this to keep Tony fresh for the playoffs.

While I do respect NVE for his past performances he is here as insurance, in case there is an injury to one of the other guards. I dont think NVE will be fighting Beno for his job.

Barry was not passive in the playoffs. Wake the hell up.
Barry did just fine. WGAF about the regular season?
Beno was decent in the regular season but blew in the playoffs. He should be waived immediately.
Rasho was decent in the preseason and blew in the season and playoffs, he should be waived immediately.
Barry was a key piece to the championship.
Open your eyes and recognize.biggest load of shit ever
Barry was passive throughout the regular season and all but two games in the playoffs. He was not a key to the Spurs winning the championship he was about the same as Nazr. Spurs needed them but the only thing they were key at was not contributing in the loses and taking up for the other Spurs during bad

Beno played good in the playoffs except for short times in at the ends of 3rd quarters in Game 1 round 1 and the finals.

Rasho played solid during the regular season before getting hurt. He really didnt get the chance to play much in the playoffs but when he did he was effective except against Amare (but then NO Spurs could stop Amare).

Sorry sequ only 4 key players from the Spurs this past year playoffs Tim, Tony, Manu and Horry. The rest were/are role players.

timvp
09-03-2005, 04:20 PM
NVE's contributions will pale in comparision to Fin and Berry. hell you might as well through in Beno with Mike and Brent. I look for Pop to use NVE in the meaningless ball games. You know those bottom feeder games that the core Spurs tend to get bored, disinterested and seem to loose (Atl, Tor). Pop will do this to keep Tony fresh for the playoffs.

While I do respect NVE for his past performances he is here as insurance, in case there is an injury to one of the other guards. I dont think NVE will be fighting Beno for his job.

You'll be in for a rude awakening. Van Exel will be the backup point and average around 12 minutes per game.

Book it.

:hat

GoSpurs21
09-03-2005, 04:28 PM
You'll be in for a rude awakening. Van Exel will be the backup point and average around 12 minutes per game.

Book it.

:hatthen I guess NVE will burn out by the time the playoffs arrive. I dont know if you have seen pictures of him but he looks heaver than I have even seen him in his career. His minutes need to be more like Horry's very little in the beginning of the season then increasing around AS game to 12 min by time playoffs start.

Beno's progression last year was pretty good. Add the summer play and I think Beno can be a solid asset for the team. It's pretty funny how short term people's memory can be for our own Spurs while at the same time thinking aging players that have haunted the Spurs in the past will play like they are 10 years younger now that they dawn the Silver and Black. I believe that's called wishful thinking. It took Horry one regular season before he started playing clutch. Hopefully Barry will break out this year.

Extra Stout
09-03-2005, 04:33 PM
Van Exel gained weight because he was basically forced out of the Portland rotation and started pouting.

When his team doesn't care about winning, his attitude sucks. When his team is focused on winning, he's a warrior.

12 minutes a game is nothing. If a guy burns out playing those inutes, he ought to retire anyway. In the playoffs, he'll see even more than that. Your top three guys off the bench in the playoffs will be Van Exel, Finley, and Horry, with the occasional Oberto sighting.

Extra Stout
09-03-2005, 04:35 PM
I expect Barry to be traded by the time the season starts, by the way. There are no minutes left for him.

Finley, NVE, and Horry off the bench... wow, this really could be a superteam. All the great dynasties had at least one.

CyberSnake
09-04-2005, 07:31 AM
NVE is a chameleon, he will be in the best environment he's ever been in this season so I expect him to be an extremely positive force.
Sixth Man of the Year?

Mark in Austin
09-04-2005, 08:33 AM

Book it.

:hat

agreed. Van Exel's signing could have the same level of signifigance as Mario E's or Horry's signings had for this team.

Marcus Bryant
09-04-2005, 09:12 AM
NVE's signing is a championship level acquisition. Finley is going to be great because he's someone who is a threat to have a 10+ point quarter at any time. The Spurs needed someone off the bench who can put the ball in the hole on their own, especially when TD and either Manu or TP are resting at the same time. Both NVE and Finley are that type of player.

cherylsteele
09-04-2005, 10:53 AM
NVE has a history if been a kinda cancer due to his attitude, but of he can back the words he has said after the signing, I will be very pleased.

Barry not intense? Don't they say that alot about Timmy? They said that about DRob too!
I think people are confusing passiveness with team first mentality

CyberSnake
09-04-2005, 11:09 AM
NVE plays with passion and desire.

TOP-CHERRY
09-04-2005, 11:13 AM
NVE plays with passion and desire.
Yup.

His clutchness has always been scary to me. It's great to know he's on our side now.

samikeyp
09-04-2005, 11:14 AM
I dont think NVE will be fighting Beno for his job

You are right....Beno will be fighting to get his job back.

cherylsteele
09-04-2005, 11:26 AM
You are right....Beno will be fighting to get his job back.

This won't be a bad thing though. Beno can learn the ropes while watching the two, you don't have to throw him into the fire, he can ease his way into the rotation.

TOP-CHERRY
09-04-2005, 11:27 AM
How old is Beno anyway?

Manu20
09-04-2005, 11:33 AM
How old is Beno anyway?
23 years old.

samikeyp
09-04-2005, 11:45 AM
This won't be a bad thing though. Beno can learn the ropes while watching the two, you don't have to throw him into the fire, he can ease his way into the rotation

exactly.

CyberSnake
09-04-2005, 12:08 PM
And I'm sure he picked up a thing or two last season.

Gino2882
09-04-2005, 01:46 PM
I think Beno will be called upon at sometime this season to log some serious minutes.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-04-2005, 02:34 PM
ehhhhh whoever is arguing that Michael Finley is going to be a better acquisition than Nick (fucking) van Exel is insane....absolutely insane

if these guys both stay up for the whole season we're going to see some flash in the pan games from Finley, but some consistent ownage by NVE

consistent ownage

Nick van Exel is going to be going up against the league's 2nd string point guards.....plus we can even throw him in there with Parker sometimes, if the matchups permit it

can you imagine trying to guard a lightning quick tony parker and a veteran cunning throat slasher like NVE?

it would cause bedlam

spurs are going to massacre the opposition this next season i cant freaking wait....we're like the New Lakers hahaha

TOP-CHERRY
09-04-2005, 02:49 PM
23 years old.
Cool.

cherylsteele
09-04-2005, 06:11 PM
And I'm sure he picked up a thing or two last season.

He did okay for a rookie.....but too many times looked awestruck and made lots of mental errors. He will be an excellent PG in due time but now his best thing is to observer and learn more. Put him in during blowouts or games that are not important.

Ghost Writer
09-05-2005, 07:31 PM
1. Brent Barry was probably the most emotionally intense, vocal Spur last season.

2. I think Finley has more game left than NVE, but Van Exel's passion is unmatched.

3. NVE backs up Parker.

4. You can have Finley back up Bowen, Barry back up Manu and NVE back up Parker.

timvp
09-05-2005, 07:33 PM
4. You can have Finley back up Bowen, Barry back up Manu and NVE back up Parker.

So you think Finley will be happy with about 18 minutes per game?

Ghost Writer
09-05-2005, 07:56 PM
Yes, actually I do and it's funny you settled on 18 MPG, becaus ethat's what I just projected for Finely in my rotations thread.

Finley's skills are unquestioned, but look how Barry struggled in the Spurs' system. We have to give him time to find his way first.

timvp
09-05-2005, 07:58 PM
Yes, actually I do and it's funny you settled on 18 MPG, becaus ethat's what I just projected for Finely in my rotations thread.

Finley's skills are unquestioned, but look how Barry struggled in the Spurs' system. We have to give him time to find his way first.

Personally, I think Finley gets most of the minutes behind Manu and Bowen. Finley's agent said that even though Pop told Finley that he wouldn't start, he'd still see 'significant' minutes.

To me, 18 minutes doesn't seem like what Finley came for.

Ghost Writer
09-05-2005, 08:00 PM
Well, maybe Finley gets more, because Barry already got a rimg and Bowen is a year older.

But to me, Finley came here to win, not rack up playing time.

What do you want to say -- 22 MPG?

I'm not sure if he'll acclimate that quickly.

Kori Ellis
09-05-2005, 08:01 PM
I think Barry's minutes will be down a bit. Then if Finley is healthy for most of the year, Barry will likely be traded before the trade deadline. The Spurs are not going to want his contract after this season.

Kori Ellis
09-05-2005, 08:05 PM
Early in the season:

Tony 32
Manu 28
Bruce 30
Tim 34
Nazr 22

Rasho 12
Oberto 12
Horry 16
NVE 16
Finley 22
Barry 12
Beno - spot minutes

Yeah, I know it adds up to more than 48 mpg at each spot - but that's how it works because of DNP's.

After the All-Star break everything will shake out and the rotations will be shored up.

Kori Ellis
09-05-2005, 08:07 PM
Damn Ghost, I didn't even read your post that said Finley will have 22 mpg - I think that's close to correct.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-05-2005, 08:09 PM
it pains me to see so many logical arguments about how barry is as good as gone

Ghost Writer
09-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Who is going to take Barry?

You just can't dump players, because you feel they are of no use anymore.

See: Nesterovic, Rasho

Kori Ellis
09-06-2005, 11:37 AM

Eventually you can.

See: Rose, Malik

Allan Rowe vs Wade
09-06-2005, 11:44 AM
Kori that took like 3 seasons though.

Kori Ellis
09-06-2005, 11:48 AM
Not really 3 years, they had turned down offers for Malik the year before.

They've been reportedly looking at options to deal Barry and Rasho all summer, maybe by next summer they'll get it done.:)

kskonn
09-06-2005, 11:54 AM
I just can't wait to see what happens over the course of the season.

maybe Barry breaks out and maybe he does not. Who knows maybe finley will have troubles with the system and lose playing time to Barry(probably not, just throwin it out there)

My point is when you look at the caliber player we are falling back on in any position you can't help but get excited about this team. We have so much depth from top to bottom.

K-9
09-06-2005, 12:08 PM
Hi!
I'm new on the board. I'm formerly a Mavs fan and still to some degree...but when they released Finley (my favourite player) I lost a lot of interest in them. He was the reason I became a fan of the mavericks...I don't know if I'm a spurs fan yet but I really like Van Exel and Finley and I've always respected Tim Duncan.
Anyway I only got positive things to say about Nick the Quick. " years ago he was playing at an extremely high level in the playoffs and was the Mavericks best player. That's right. Then they traded him after the season and I started to loose faith in the organization. How can you trade away your best "big game" player? All the Mavericks did since was win in the regular season but not going very far in the playoffs.
I will start posting on this board and I'll start following the spurs. I hate to be a bandwagoner so just see it as I'm a basketball fan loving the best ball that is played. And that is in San Antonio.

Kori Ellis
09-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Welcome to the forum, K-9.

2centsworth
09-06-2005, 12:20 PM
Finley, Barry, NVE, and Beno will have to earn minutes. Pop will give them all a shot and whoever plays the best will get the majority of the minutes behind TP, Manu, and Bruce.

My money is on Finley for the majority of the backup minutes. Don't be shocked if he challenges Bruce for the starting position.

mcdunk
09-06-2005, 12:27 PM

Charlotte or Atlanta since they need vet leadership and experience and are currently under the salary cap. Both teams are loaded with young talent and Barry would add a nice complement to their group of players.

2centsworth
09-06-2005, 12:39 PM
Barry can play for a lot of teams. Rasho would be a pretty good fit in Cleveland backing-up Illgauskas. Rasho for Drew Gooden sounds about right to me. Drew's contract expires in '06.