PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Rotation?

Ghost Writer
09-03-2005, 11:01 AM
Please post your thoughts on the starting five and your bench sequence.

Thanks.

usckk
09-03-2005, 11:04 AM
Begining of the Season:
Starting:
Nazr
Duncan
Bowen
Manu
Parker

Bench (by position):
Nesterovic-Oberto (as for now)
Horry
Finley
Barry
Van Exel-Udrih

Playoffs:

Starters: Same

Bench (in order):
Finley
Horry
Van Exel
Barry
Rest Don't Play.

polandprzem
09-03-2005, 01:07 PM
1Finley,
2Rasho Oberto van Exel
3Horry, Barry , Udrih

The rotation

Ofcourse Horry will be placed in spot 1 in PO

Horry For 3!
09-03-2005, 01:25 PM
Starters
Tony
Manu
Bruce
Timmy
Nazr

Bench
Mike
Rob
NVE
Fabri
Brent
Rasho
Beno

velik_m
09-03-2005, 01:37 PM
Begining of the Season:
Starting:
Nazr
Duncan
Bowen
Manu
Parker

Bench (by position):
Nesterovic-Oberto (as for now)
Horry
Finley
Barry
Van Exel-Udrih

Playoffs:

Starters: Same

Bench (in order):
Finley
Horry
Van Exel
Barry
Rest Don't Play.

I mostly agree except:
Rasho starting Nazr from bench.
Beno will play more than NVE in regular season.
&in playoff Rest don't play MUCH. (They will get some minutes esp. Nazr&Beno)

Brodels
09-03-2005, 01:41 PM
Starters, with minutes breakdown:

Parker - 34
Manu - 30
Bowen - 28
Duncan - 34
Nazr/Rasho (make Nazr win the job in camp) - 28

Bench:

Van Exel - 14
Beno - (may get some of Nick's time or play when Parker struggles)
Finley - 24
Barry - 14
Oberto - 8
Horry - 10 (during the regular season)
Rasho/Nazr - 16

I realize, of course, that Oberto might get more minutes, Nick could get more minutes or fewer minutes, and that Duncan may need to play more minutes if he remains healthy. And injuries are also going to figure into the equation. But I think that's a reasonable breakdown of what we can expect.

Marks showed flashed of decency last season when he got a chance. Now that he's back on the squad, I hope that he gets a chance to play if injuries put one of the bigs on the disabled list.

I think it's too early to think about the playoff rotation. So much happens during the regular season. It's reasonable, however, to think that Duncan, Bowen, Manu, Parker, Nazr/Rasho, Horry, and Finley will be a part of it if healthy.

ChumpDumper
09-03-2005, 01:44 PM
Nonstop tinkering until at least March.

Samr
09-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Starters:

C: Nazr Mohammed
PF: Tim Duncan
SF: Bruce Bowen
SG: Manu Ginobili
PG: Tony Parker

Bench Rotation:
1. Oberto and Finley
2. Van Exel/Udrih, Barry, Horry
situational(3): Rasho

I would substitute in groups. Oberto and Finley break Duncan and Ginobili. Next bring NVE/Beno for Parker, Barry for Bowen with Finley sliding to the 3, Horry for Nazr with Oberto sliding to the 5, or even playing with two forwards and no defined center. Manu, Parker, and Duncan will see a drop in stats simply because they will be resting, significantly, until the playoffs. And THAT is the scary part. It's scary that the Spurs will enter the playoffs with Duncan and Ginobili running on fresh legs.

The joy of the depth is that our second team will not drop the pace set by the first. There is a STRONG arguement for Finley to start over Bowen, Rasho could easily start over Nazr, and there will be games where NVE or Beno are playing better than Parker. Marks is the only one who is definitively a bench player.

Garbage time will be amazing. Our "scrubs" are former All-Stars, 6th men, starters, and Olympic gold medalists. Hell, even Marks is pretty damn good for a FOURTH string big.

And what's REALLY awsome? The Spurs lost nothing defensively. If anything, they added it (Fin, and especially NVE, underrated defenders as far as I am concerned). But in the process, they also added two players who are capable of a 20 point night, any night. The Spurs just raided the FA market and made off with a bunch of spark plugs.

Now all we need is for someone to turn the ignition.

Brodels
09-03-2005, 02:24 PM
There is a STRONG arguement for Finley to start over Bowen, Rasho could easily start over Nazr, and there will be games where NVE or Beno are playing better than Parker. Marks is the only one who is definitively a bench player.

There is NO sensible argument for Finley to start over Bowen. Bowen was the second or third best player on the team in the finals. As Pop so frequently points out, he is the anchor of the defense. He saves wear and tear on Ginobili. He's one of the league's best three point shooters.

Given that the Spurs have one two of the last three titles in large part because Bowen has successfully taken opposing swing men out of playoff games from the very beginning, it wouldn't make much sense to make a change now.

He's always near the top of the defensive player of the year voting. The Spurs are a team built on defense. According to the coach, he anchors the defense.

It wouldn't make much sense to start Finley over Bowen. It could very well make sense on other teams, but not on this team. That's exactly why Pop made it clear that Finley would be coming off the bench.

Mr. Body
09-03-2005, 02:39 PM
There is NO sensible argument for Finley to start over Bowen. Bowen was the second or third best player on the team in the finals. As Pop so frequently points out, he is the anchor of the defense. He saves wear and tear on Ginobili. He's one of the league's best three point shooters.

There's no sensible argument to not start Bowen, it's true. The starters have enough offense, he's vital in setting a tone on defense, and he needs to play with Duncan in order to get his roach-corner threes.

There WILL, however, be plenty of temptation to start Finley in Manu's spot. Ginobili plays extremely well off the bench, no matter how upset Argentina gets about this. Plus, it gives him an opportunity to play with Oberto. Even if he does start (and I'm not advocating he doesn't) I hope substitution patterns allows him time to run with Fabricio, since they know each other's games so well.

Samr
09-03-2005, 02:44 PM
Well, pending matchups, I could see Bowen taking a breather once and a while. Parker/Manu/Finley would be too much for teams to handle. You lose some D, but the offensive firepower would be overwhelming.

I'm not saying he should start over Bowen, but he could.

velik_m
09-03-2005, 02:44 PM
Garbage time will be amazing. Our "scrubs" are former All-Stars, 6th men, starters, and Olympic gold medalists. Hell, even Marks is pretty damn good for a FOURTH string big.

I think that will be cruical in regular season and it may bring them many wins: spurs simply won't have "garbage" time. Other tims will have to play their best all the time or risk their bench get trampled.

Samr
09-03-2005, 02:52 PM
I think that will be cruical in regular season and it may bring them many wins: spurs simply won't have "garbage" time. Other tims will have to play their best all the time or risk their bench get trampled.

starting lineup:
Nazr
Duncan
Bowen
Ginobili
Parker

crunch time lineup:
Duncan
Horry
Bowen/Finley (situational)
Ginobili
Van Exel

GARBAGE TIME!!!!
Marks
Rasho/Oberto (pending skill)
Barry
Finley/NVE
Beno

Now tell me that last part doesn't just send chills down your spine. *gulp*

SequSpur
09-03-2005, 03:34 PM
1: Parker, NVE
2: Manu, Finley
3. Bowen, Barry
4. Duncan, Horry
5. Muhammed, Oberto

Elevator Monitor: Rasho
Parking Lot Attendant: Beno
Cotton Candy Maker: Marks

velik_m
09-03-2005, 03:37 PM
:lol

Tek_XX
09-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Nazr has got to show more if he gets the automatic starter label, like holding on to the ball, and hopefully 80% less pumpfake action.

Brutalis
09-03-2005, 03:57 PM
Whoever thinks Beno have more MPG than Exel needs to put the beer down and goto bed... it's Saturday afternoon

ShoogarBear
09-03-2005, 04:08 PM
Who cares what ours is? Here's Pops:

1: TP, with NVE spelling him except for the week-long trips to the doghouse.
2: Manu, then Barry, then Sean Marks. 20 games into the season Finley suddenly starts playing 35 MPG and averages 20 PPG, then he gets benched for hitting a 3 out of the offense.
3: Bowen Forever. Every once in a while Barry will come off to try to guard Ray Allen for laughs.
4. TD. Horry is never seen until the playoffs.
5. Nazr, then Pop gets Malik's doghouse refitted. Rasho resumes the starters role with a sparkling .014 FTP.

We got nuts about the rotations, Spurs repeat anyway.

Nikos
09-03-2005, 06:38 PM
Just thought I would take a stab at this for now.

2 things I am not sure of: How Van Exel will be used in the regular season versus Beno. Secondly, how much Rasho and Oberto will play?

Duncan 34
Mohammed 26
Rasho 12
Horry 14
Oberto 10

Bowen 30
Manu 30
Finley 23
Barry 13

Parker 33
Van Exel 13
Udrih 2

timvp
09-03-2005, 06:42 PM
Not bad, Nikos. However, I don't think Rasho will have a spot in the rotation and I think Finley will play more.

Nikos
09-03-2005, 06:46 PM
Yeah the more I think of it, your right about Rasho.

If Finley does play more, that essentially means Barry plays even less right?

timvp
09-03-2005, 06:55 PM
Yeah, I don't see much of a role for Barry right now. The only way that changes is if Finley bombs.

Money316
09-03-2005, 07:04 PM

Word! :fro :fro :fro

Nikos
09-03-2005, 07:04 PM
I get the feeling Barry might have improved in the system this season, at least in terms of his shooting and confidence. But he might regress like last season considering Finley coming in. Kind of sucks, but I just hope Finley can be a much more efficient player then he was last season due to the fact he is playing in a better system and playing LESS minutes. He is getting pretty old at 32, and I am not sure how good his defense is anymore.

Spursdaone
09-03-2005, 07:23 PM
If the coach was smart he would not play Finley. Finley sucks.

Sense
09-03-2005, 08:27 PM
If the coach was smart he would not play Finley. Finley sucks.

Why do you keep posing as a spursfan?

Guru of Nothing
09-03-2005, 09:30 PM
As previously stated, the rotation is not so much about minutes per game. It's about games played.

Should Horry play 82 games? No! But, when he does play, he should get a solid 20-25 minutes of PT. 12 minutes per game is for the birds.

And then there's Manu. His game is balls to the wall; intentionally rest him 30 games or so. While "we" are at it, rest Duncan 30 games too.

Depth is a Spurs' strength, only if they use it.

It's all about April/May/June.

Sense
09-03-2005, 09:36 PM
As previously stated, the rotation is not so much about minutes per game. It's about games played.

Should Horry play 82 games? No! But, when he does play, he should get a solid 20-25 minutes of PT. 12 minutes per game is for the birds.

And then there's Manu. His game is balls to the wall; intentionally rest him 30 games or so. While "we" are at it, rest Duncan 30 games too.

Depth is a Spurs' strength, only if they use it.

It's all about April/May/June.

Wow, do you really believe we should rest Duncan and Manu 30 games?

:rolleyes

ducks
09-03-2005, 09:38 PM
with this deep of a team
should duncan even play over 30 minutes a game?
why risk it?

this team is deep and talented enough it should win most games if duncan just plays 30 minutes
against elite teams maybe play him 36- 40 but other then that keep him right at 30

Guru of Nothing
09-03-2005, 09:48 PM
Wow, do you really believe we should rest Duncan and Manu 30 games?

:rolleyes

If the Spurs sign GRob, uhhhh, .. Yeah!

Can't think of a good reason not to.

duncan_21
09-04-2005, 12:21 AM
reg. season -

g tp 33mpg
g manu 33mpg
f bruce 30 mpg
f td 34mpg
c nazr 27mpg
g nve 18mpg
g barry 6 mpg
f finley 24mpg
f horry 9mpg
c rasho ?
f/c oberto ?

I don't know how good oberto is or if rasho will be around.

Playoffs:
g tp 34mpg
g manu 36mpg
f bruce 32mpg
f td 36mpg
c nazr 27mpg
g nve 17mpg
g/f mf 26mpg
horry 20mpg
rasho/oberto ???

The one thing that kinda worries me is having the portland/dallas effect where you you have too many studs and not enough role players.

I think with guys like bruce, td, and pop this team can handle it. Adding finley and nve was like new england getting another weapon in corey dillon at rb.

NZHayden
09-04-2005, 03:12 AM
marks will make his way to starting C come christmas

Mr. Body
09-04-2005, 03:16 AM
Barry deserves much more than 6 minutes a game. He'll likely get what he did last year - ~20 mpg.

Trainwreck2100
09-04-2005, 03:22 AM
marks will make his way to starting C come christmas

After the team bus crashes taking out the three that will start before him?

HB22inSA
09-04-2005, 06:43 AM
I think Finley gets more minutes only if he catches on to Pop's system quickly.

Otherwise, Barry will continue to get minutes.

Remember, Pop plays who is playing best, not necessarily the best player.

wildbill2u
09-04-2005, 12:55 PM

Impossible to tell with CIA POP, right? :rolleyes

Remember how Pop's rotations mystified us and pissed us off last year? He'll substitute depending on matchups and injuries and sometimes just to see what happens.

We'll all be throwing things at the TV and computer before the season is very far along because our favorite players aren't getting minutes we think they deserve. :pctoss

SpizdiStrann
09-04-2005, 01:39 PM
my opinion.. i know almost everyone will disagree, but anyway. we can discuss again after few months. i´m quite sure spurs will go this way::

C: Rasho
PF: Tim
SF: Bowen/ Finley
SG: Manu
PG: Tony/Beno

- rasho must change something in his head. if he decide to sit on the bench_ i´m ok with it. don´t care much for him.. but somehow i know he will return even stronger than he was few years ago.
- SF depends on that how strong needs to be defence. in regular season i think finley will start more than Bowen, if he will be healthy and prepared.
- Beno is on the way to get his part on PG positioin. i´m quite sure that he´s much better than most of you think. if he will get enought minutes he will show what he can do on the court. still parker will start most games, but you can expect beno will get much more playing time TP 25/beno 23..
till playoffs- :smokin

bench:
- if horry stay healthy he will play much more than last year in reg season.
NVE will cover youngsters in playoffs, but till then ... we better wait.
nazr is quite useless coming from the bench. and his defence isn´t that what spurs need. all depends on rasho, and his play.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-04-2005, 02:35 PM

:tu my thoughts almost exactly

Ghost Writer
09-05-2005, 07:54 PM
Starters:

PF - Duncan (37)
SF - Bowen (24)
C - Mohammad (22)
PG - Parker (34)
SG - Ginobili (35)

Bench:

Horry (14)
Finley (18)
Nesterovic (10)
Barry (18)
Van Exel (13)
Oberto (8)
Udrih (5)

Thoughts:

I see Bowen's minutes diminished to preserve him for the palyoffs and as the swingman spot is now rich with talent.

I think the Barry will blossom in his second season with the Spurs and as Finley finds his way within the Spurs system.

I don't think the Spurs can continue to bury Nesterovic if they hope to see anny ROI or showcase him for a deal.

I definitely predict a trade by February.

Don't be surprised if the starting C or SF spot is different by the playoffs.

Beno won't be completely forgotten.

timvp
09-05-2005, 07:56 PM
SG - Ginobili (35)

If the Spurs are smart, Manu won't average much more than 30 minutes per game.

Ghost Writer
09-05-2005, 07:59 PM
Don't you think Popovich sees Manu as a guilty pleasure?

How can we not have the Spurs Big Three push 35 MPG?

(Duncan, Parker, Manu)

Many stars average around 40 MPG.

timvp
09-05-2005, 08:02 PM
Manu last season averaged less than 30 minutes per game. The Spurs know that they don't give him plenty of rest, he'll be too banged up for the playoffs.

In the playoffs, he still only averaged 33.6 minutes per game. So when push came to shove, Pop was still able to hold back.

Kori Ellis
09-05-2005, 08:08 PM
Early in the season:

Tony 32
Manu 28
Bruce 30
Tim 34
Nazr 22

Rasho 12
Oberto 12
Horry 16
NVE 16
Finley 22
Barry 12
Beno - spot minutes

Yeah, I know it adds up to more than 48 mpg at each spot - but that's how it works because of DNP's.

After the All-Star break everything will shake out and the rotations will be shored up.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-05-2005, 08:11 PM
yeah unfortunately, Manu really does take too much a beating each play to game for 35 minutes the entire season

i think pop holding manu back for most of the regular season paid off in spades, manu was able to step up his game to a level none of us had ever seen

picnroll
09-05-2005, 08:17 PM
Back to backs they should keep the minutes down in one of the two games for all players if at all possible.

Solid D
09-05-2005, 08:48 PM
I normally employ two different rotation options, depending on wear and tear.

http://www.stealth316.com/images/tire-rotation.gif

ChumpDumper
09-05-2005, 08:53 PM
Many stars average around 40 MPG.Many stars are toast by the playoffs.

I like Kori's numbers, but I think Beno may get alot more burn early A) to see where he is and B) give Parker some rest after his summer schedule and limit NVE's time to test his knees.

slayermin
09-05-2005, 09:08 PM
I think Beno is going to be much better this upcoming season. Too bad he isn't gonna get minutes to prove it. Well maybe it's not all that bad.

WE GOT NICKIE VAN.

Kori Ellis
09-05-2005, 09:10 PM
I think Beno may get alot more burn early A) to see where he is and B) give Parker some rest after his summer schedule and limit NVE's time to test his knees.

It's a possibility. I guess it depends on what they see out of Beno in training camp.

Chris
09-05-2005, 11:26 PM
Starting Five
C: Nazr Mohammed
PF: Tim Duncan
SG: Manu Ginobili
SF: Bruce Bowen
PG: Tony Parker

Bench One
C: Radoslav Nesterovich
PF: Robert Horry
SG: Brent Barry
SF: Michael Finley
PG: Nick Van Exel (with high socks)

Bench 2
C: Sean Marks
PF: Fabricio Oberto
SG: Nick Van Exel
SF: Glenn Robinson?
PG: Beno Udrih

Ghost Writer
09-06-2005, 11:32 AM
Looks like you guys are right about keeping Manu's minutes around 28-30 or so.

But I would not assume Finley is going to bury Brent.

We've seen it takes time to figure out roles on the Spurs.

spurster
09-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Many are betting on Rasho being traded, but if the Spurs want to reduce salary, the easiest way is to let Nazr's contract end, while resigning Nazr is the surest way to increase salary. I don't see that Nazr is much better than Rasho. If Oberto shines, then Nazr is that much more expendable.

WIth that in mind, I think Nazr and Rasho's PT will be about equal for the first half of the season with matchups dictating who starts and who gets more any given game.

2centsworth
09-06-2005, 12:33 PM
Tony- 30
Manu- 29
Bruce-25
Tim-32
Nazr- 28

NVE- 18
Finley-25
Barry-12
Horry-15
Oberto-15
Rasho/Marks-10
Beno- 5

keeps them rested and in synch.

Playoffs

Tony-30mins
Manu-34mins
Bruce-25mins
Tim-36mins
Nazr-28mins

NVE- 18mins
Finley-23mins
Horry- 22mins
Barry- 10mins
Oberto-15mins
Everyone else 3mins

jabol130
09-06-2005, 01:07 PM
Duncan ab 30-40min
Ginobili 30-40
Parker 30-35
Bowen 25
Mohammed 20-25
Finley 20-25
Van Excel 15-20
Oberto 15-20
Horry 10-20
Barry 10-20
Nesterovic 0-5
Udrih 0-5

jabol130
09-06-2005, 01:10 PM
BTW, I have to add that I think Oberto will have Mohammed's job by the end of the year. I love the guy. He reminds me of Brad Miller on offense and Jeff Foster on defense. He will be awesome, I'm just as excited about him as Finley and Van Excel - can't wait for the season to start

zeleni
09-06-2005, 01:26 PM
Duncan 20-25
Ginobili 20-25
Parker 25-30
Bowen 25-35
Mohammed 15-20
Finley 15
Van Excel 15
Oberto 15
Horry 10
Barry 15-20
Nesterovic 15
Udrih 15

SWC Bonfire
09-06-2005, 01:32 PM
My rotation? Counter-clockwise in the northern hemisphere.

Oh, the Spurs?

Starters:

Duncan
TP
Manu
Bruce
Raszr Mohammerovic - Rasho and Nazr will get approx. equal minutes to start out to determine who gets starting spot.

Crunchtime:

Duncan
TP/NVE
Manu
Bruce
Horry

yeahone
09-06-2005, 05:57 PM
Starters
Nazr
Duncan
Bowen
Manu
Parker

Bench
Finely,,Barry
Van exel,,Beni,,
Rasho,,Oberto
Horry

td4mvp21
09-06-2005, 06:10 PM
with this deep of a team
should duncan even play over 30 minutes a game?
why risk it?

this team is deep and talented enough it should win most games if duncan just plays 30 minutes
against elite teams maybe play him 36- 40 but other then that keep him right at 30

Because he's in his friggin prime. Why rest the guy when he has had a full summer of rest when he can have a huge effect on our games? A few years from now we are gonna wish we had Duncan in his prime again. I would play him 37 minutes, 35 at least, 39 at most on average. A lot of games Duncan will ask Pop to keep him in long anyway.